Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/26/2016 12:08:33 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Having spent some hours on Civ VI so far, theese are my three cons and pros about the game as it stands today;

PRO
1. The new district system. Some "buildings" now has to be placed on the world map, which means those ehxes can not be worked for food anymore. The same goes for Wonders. This means that unlike in previous civ games, you tend to not build all the stuff in every city, nor do you end up with citied that spams out wonders.

2. Requirements for wonders. Some wonders must be built on deserts, some must be built on the coast, some needs to be built next to both a river and a economy district. This means that you now have to plan ahead for some wonders. Makes it feel more like a proper wonder to me.

3. Governments. You unluck certain types of governments (ogliarchy, monarhy, early republic, etc). These governments then have a set number of card slots within different categories (economy, military etc). You then chose from cards you have unlocked through research to place in those card slots. This means that a "monarchy" is not just a monarchy, you get to alter the bonuses you get from your monarchy to suit your own needs. A really good system imo.

CON
1. Typos. A game as big as this, really should have typos removed before release. Not good enough.

2. Bugs. There are some in here. I've not encountered any game breaking ones yet, but there are some weird ones. I've seen myself being denounced by....myself. Appearantly this happens when an unmet civilization denounces you. But if they have not met me, how can they denounce me?

3. This one I am not sure if I should include or not, but I am adding it here nonetheless.
The early AI agression. This has to be the first time in 20+ years of playing civilization that I have lost a city to the AI in the first 50 turns on marathon. Others report this as well. The AI will come at you in the early game if your defences are not good enough. Although it sort of makes sense (you should be able to protect yourself before expanding), I think that it might be somewhat crippeling in the higher difficulty games where the AI starts with an extra settler, and you need to start to expand somewhat early. Now that is a very good way to get attacked by the AI. So, I am not sure untill I have played more games, as to wether this belongs as a con or not, but right now, it feels like one.

Terje

Thanks for the observations!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 91
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/27/2016 10:55:14 PM   
Zorch

http://www.civfanatics.com/2016/10/27/civ6-reviews-roundup/

Civfanatics has a round up of reviews.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 92
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/27/2016 11:18:28 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

http://www.civfanatics.com/2016/10/27/civ6-reviews-roundup/

Civfanatics has a round up of reviews.

Good reviews across the board! Thanks for the link!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 93
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/28/2016 9:25:34 AM   
altipueri

Wise men say "Only fools run an empire without luxuries, king."

Just got a Acer Revo One win 8.1 PC from Staples for £118 incl VAT. Found I can get CIV2 working with animated advisers - hence the above quote.

I don't need no stinking fancy cartoon graphics - which is just as well because 4gb RAM 1.4ghz won't run Civ 6 will it?

It must be an age thing - Civ went wrong with Civ4 for me. I even got 5 on Steam, but have only played a hour or so.

PS - Using Classic Shell and win 8.1 is fine for low spec office stuff. Most of my old Matrix games work.

PPS - for Linux guys - I also got a Linux laptop from Dell - £200 including delivery with Ubuntu pre-installed. About 50 quid cheaper than same spec with widows 10.

Now, time for a coffee break and one more turn. This working from home is great, no work done of course.

< Message edited by altipueri -- 10/28/2016 10:02:56 AM >

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 94
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/28/2016 12:37:24 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: altipueri

Wise men say "Only fools run an empire without luxuries, king."

Just got a Acer Revo One win 8.1 PC from Staples for £118 incl VAT. Found I can get CIV2 working with animated advisers - hence the above quote.

I don't need no stinking fancy cartoon graphics - which is just as well because 4gb RAM 1.4ghz won't run Civ 6 will it?

It must be an age thing - Civ went wrong with Civ4 for me. I even got 5 on Steam, but have only played a hour or so.

PS - Using Classic Shell and win 8.1 is fine for low spec office stuff. Most of my old Matrix games work.

PPS - for Linux guys - I also got a Linux laptop from Dell - £200 including delivery with Ubuntu pre-installed. About 50 quid cheaper than same spec with widows 10.

Now, time for a coffee break and one more turn. This working from home is great, no work done of course.

Yeah I hear ya, there are ton of games to choose from. I am gonna wait and see how this will develop on CivIV, not impress with it though.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 95
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/28/2016 1:12:01 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

Well, looks like I'll have to get this game now! Dilbert creator Scott Adams has a quote in the game that some crazies don't like...actually they don't like that Scott Adams is quoted because he's a very evil human being!
warspite1

Wrong thread

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 10/28/2016 1:13:40 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 96
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/28/2016 5:36:18 PM   
Qwixt

It seems to me that the player is forced down the military path for the most part due to defending against barbs and looking weak if you do not build a decent army. Just my very initial impressions.

< Message edited by Qwixt -- 10/28/2016 5:50:57 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 97
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/28/2016 5:53:13 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwixt
I think my Civ days are over. I have the latest Civ 6, thanks to a gift card from work, and it doesn't really hold my interest.

I would gladly take it off your hands...

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 98
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/28/2016 6:47:09 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

It seems to me that the player is forced down the military path for the most part due to defending against barbs and looking weak if you do not build a decent army. Just my very initial impressions.

You will need a large (in comparison to number of cities) number of units in the early game, but as time progresses, that is not the case. After a while the AI will stop trying to rush you due to warmonger penalties kicking in, and you are fine with the usual 1 unit per city setup if you do not plan on starting a war.

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 99
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/28/2016 7:03:17 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: altipueri

Stinking fancy cartoon graphics don't need to make the game worse. I've got and played original Civ, FreeCiv, Civ4:BtS, and Civ5. By far my favourite in the series is Civ4:BtS. I've reinforced it with Caveman 2 Cosmos mod, and that is one helluva upgrade!

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 100
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/28/2016 10:15:07 PM   
Aurelian

Here's how to exploit your way to victory in Civ 6 (until Firaxis stop you)

http://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi/civ-6-exploits-bugs

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 10/28/2016 10:16:04 PM >

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 101
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/28/2016 11:10:54 PM   
Rosseau

I can't believe they didn't include the in-game editor in a $60 product. This is a standard feature from the IV series and should not have been just dropped or left for a patch. Looking at various sources, it is no smash hit, but apparently few bugs.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 102
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/29/2016 1:03:20 PM   
Rising-Sun

Well I bought it last night and want to take a peek at it. Played it for three hours, didn't really like it. The character animations was pretty good, but the overall terrains, units and buildings is what I didn't like it. The biggest issues is that if you don't have a good pc you going to run into some serious lags. Between the AI moves and on, take awhile. Least I got my refund back, explaining why I didn't like it.

Someone mention that they have earth map, it is bigger and put 18 civilizations on there, it was major lags for that player. Infact he had a better pc than I do and still crash time to time.

I would wait til they put more efforts into this and cheaper of course before I grab it again.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 103
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/29/2016 1:36:02 PM   
Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

I can't believe they didn't include the in-game editor in a $60 product. This is a standard feature from the IV series and should not have been just dropped or left for a patch. Looking at various sources, it is no smash hit, but apparently few bugs.

Welcome to the world of DLC where a game is milked for every dime possible.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 104
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/29/2016 6:01:57 PM   
LarryP

I went ahead and fell for it, I also purchased it for $60 US. Not what I usually do but I had to see for myself how it is. On the Settler (easiest) mode, I get hammered by the AI right away, sometimes by two races at once. Then I also played to turn 150 without any wars. It seems to be very unpredictable. I play the same way too so it is not something I did or did not do that cause the wars or lack of them. I enjoy managing, building, and not combat, but the way the AI is now, you have to build troops from the start.

Tons of posts in the Steam forum about the aggressive AI. I got tired of reading so many.

Spain and France both took me to war at the same time at around turn 20, and I got so mad that I wiped France off the map, and beat Spain down to one city with almost nothing. It DID feel good. However, that is not the kind of game play I enjoy the most. I hope they make some changes and give an option for peaceful games as well as adjusting the aggressiveness of the AI. In Civ5 I use a mod that allows for peace games and it is a lot of fun.

Overall I think Civ6 is an excellent game. I never have cared for comic type art for gaming material, but I like the art in Civ6. If it was more realistic then it would be more of a demand on the minimum graphics, and my card is the minimum now. It's an ATI Radeon 5800 series, several years old. Also, I like the districts now as they open up new options. The City States are handled better now than from Civ5 which are a pain. I turn them off in Civ5. And as always, the Civilopedia is just a right click away from excellent help, with a search option too. I wish all games had this level of help.

With a couple of patches, a few MODS, and a DLC or two, this will be an even better game and maybe the best one yet. No, I didn't say that.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 105
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/29/2016 6:11:59 PM   
Grim.Reaper

:)

Seems like a lot of folks pulled into this one...even me. Haven't played a ton yet, some day.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 106
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/29/2016 10:16:44 PM   
MrsWargamer

It's looking like I will be passing on Civ 6. You guys are fairly good at tearing into a game and exposing the details that count.

I'm not in a hurry to get a game my system will just barely manage on the lowest settings. and it appears the game will not be worth the effort until they've gotten around making a major add on for it. Seems like this is the norm for Civ since Civ 3.

Money is derned scarce here and my gaming intensity is kinda lame. I'm waiting to see how SC3 does on it's opening months. Plus I continue to have an interest in Panzer Corps and Tigers on the Hunt. If I'm buying a game it has to be more than a tweaked version of what I already have, it has to deliver something special. Civ 6 doesn't look like it has earned my interest yet if your comments are on the money. And I have others who have been on a list longer :)

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 107
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/29/2016 11:44:54 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

It's looking like I will be passing on Civ 6. You guys are fairly good at tearing into a game and exposing the details that count.

I'm not in a hurry to get a game my system will just barely manage on the lowest settings. and it appears the game will not be worth the effort until they've gotten around making a major add on for it. Seems like this is the norm for Civ since Civ 3.

Money is derned scarce here and my gaming intensity is kinda lame. I'm waiting to see how SC3 does on it's opening months. Plus I continue to have an interest in Panzer Corps and Tigers on the Hunt. If I'm buying a game it has to be more than a tweaked version of what I already have, it has to deliver something special. Civ 6 doesn't look like it has earned my interest yet if your comments are on the money. And I have others who have been on a list longer :)

Did you check out Steam for Panzer Corps DLC on sale?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/268400/

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 108
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/30/2016 1:34:09 PM   
MrsWargamer

Sadly funds are very stiff till after Christmas here. If ya don't safe it ya don't have it.

Hoping to indulge in some shopping while visiting family over the holidays.

I'll probably score my remaining ungrabbed PC dlc eventually.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 109
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/30/2016 1:37:35 PM   
warspite1

Well if I had a computer that could run the game I would have bought it Day 1 on the off chance (despite my repeated protestations that I won't go down that road again ).

But my computer can't handle it so that problem doesn't exist

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 110
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/30/2016 1:50:58 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Well if I had a computer that could run the game I would have bought it Day 1 on the off chance (despite my repeated protestations that I won't go down that road again ).

But my computer can't handle it so that problem doesn't exist

So sad.
I'm still waiting for the 1st expansion.
civfanatics has some good discussions: http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civilization-6-tier-list-1-0.601129/

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 111
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/30/2016 5:01:51 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

At least in case of Civ4, original/vanilla game is simplier and easier to learn, and I have seen recommendations to play it first before Beyond the Sword. I managed BtS only by reading the manuals and playing the tutorial in vanilla game. Still Civ4:BtS reinforced with Caveman 2 Cosmos mod is overwhelming experience for me, and I strongly recommend to start Civ4 experience without that near gigabyte sized monster mod.

Now let me tell you about Caveman 2 Cosmos. New game starts at 50k BC. Earliest available units are Brute and Stone Thrower. After some research, player gets such units as Wanderer (precedes Scout), Chaser, Clubman, Spiked Clubman, Slinger. First city has health<unhealth and pop won't increase until after +10k years of research (herbalism, controlled fire, cooking) and construction of buildings & their equivalents (Berry Bushes, Childbirth Hut, Wet Nurse Hut, Fire Pit). It could be some 10k BC or later before I get Settlers to create more cities. Towards end of the game tech tree will provide such units as Cyborg and Hi-Tech Robot.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 112
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/30/2016 5:57:59 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

At least in case of Civ4, original/vanilla game is simplier and easier to learn, and I have seen recommendations to play it first before Beyond the Sword. I managed BtS only by reading the manuals and playing the tutorial in vanilla game. Still Civ4:BtS reinforced with Caveman 2 Cosmos mod is overwhelming experience for me, and I strongly recommend to start Civ4 experience without that near gigabyte sized monster mod.

Now let me tell you about Caveman 2 Cosmos. New game starts at 50k BC. Earliest available units are Brute and Stone Thrower. After some research, player gets such units as Wanderer (precedes Scout), Chaser, Clubman, Spiked Clubman, Slinger. First city has health<unhealth and pop won't increase until after +10k years of research (herbalism, controlled fire, cooking) and construction of buildings & their equivalents (Berry Bushes, Childbirth Hut, Wet Nurse Hut, Fire Pit). It could be some 10k BC or later before I get Settlers to create more cities. Towards end of the game tech tree will provide such units as Cyborg and Hi-Tech Robot.

How does one discover 'Fermented Beverages'?
Avoid the random event 'Entire Tribe goes blind looking at the sun'.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 113
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/30/2016 6:17:51 PM   
Aurelian

Soon as I upgrade the power supply, I'll buy it.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 114
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/30/2016 7:18:09 PM   
wings7

"Caveman 2 Cosmos" link...
http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/caveman-2-cosmos.288570/

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 115
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/30/2016 9:05:22 PM   
Qwixt

I will give C2C a shot.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 116
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/31/2016 1:59:28 PM   
gekkoguy35

I guess I'm the weird one here. I'm really, really enjoying my time with it thus far. The AI does some wonky things and barbarians can be vexing, sure, but I'm still loving it. Everything from the music, to the little details of your districts and wonders being constructed and worked just suck me in. The old school map parchment fog of war. And for some reason I love having the clock in the upper right hand corner of the screen. I guess then I can see how much longer I've played than I originally intended to

As with anything in life, I suppose, to each his own.

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 117
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 10/31/2016 6:08:39 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: gekkoguy82

I guess I'm the weird one here. I'm really, really enjoying my time with it thus far. The AI does some wonky things and barbarians can be vexing, sure, but I'm still loving it. Everything from the music, to the little details of your districts and wonders being constructed and worked just suck me in. The old school map parchment fog of war. And for some reason I love having the clock in the upper right hand corner of the screen. I guess then I can see how much longer I've played than I originally intended to

As with anything in life, I suppose, to each his own.

There are many more like you!

(in reply to gekkoguy35)
Post #: 118
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/1/2016 9:43:29 PM   
Yogi the Great

The resource situation seems tougher. Frustrating to go for say gunpowder and find you have no Niter resource in your area. May have to go to war to get things like Niter. oil etc. Also tough to get gunpowder and find not only can't you buy musket men because of no Niter but you can no longer build swordsmen either which can make it tough to fight a war. But it is a good game requiring much more thought and planning.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 119
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/2/2016 2:46:21 PM   
gekkoguy35

I think it's important to note that this is only the starting point, and it'll most likely only get better as time goes on. I think VI is a really solid base on which to refine the different aspects of the game there are problems with, be it diplomacy (endless denouncements, seemingly random declarations of war, etc.), AI warfighting/unit construction (Holy obsolete unit spam, Batman!), or whatever. Even so, as I said earlier, I'm greatly enjoying it so far. Despite playing games many times throughout a week, Matrix offerings or others, I haven't been so engrossed in a game like this in quite some time. Not sure what that says about me, probably nothing good :-P

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI