Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Something scwewy going on here...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Something scwewy going on here... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Something scwewy going on here... - 5/12/2001 10:48:00 AM   
Igor

Having downloaded ver 5.0, I restarted my 20 year generated campaign of Communists versus Nationalists and Japanese (in China, of course). The first two battles saw the AI choose Nationalist forces involving 10 companies of infantry; or more accurately, one company of infantry and 9 companies of HQs. The middle 8 companies consisted of a Company HQ and 4 platoon HQs. Since this was a bit thin, the last company had a Company HQ and 24 platoon HQs. Backing all this up was a battery of off board guns, two infantry guns, and two AA guns. Now please note, this was basically the setup in both battles; the differences only amounted to a couple of mortars and a scant handful of platoon HQs. Both battles had true costs and troop rarity on, for what that's worth. A fix of some kind would be appreciated.

Post #: 1
- 5/14/2001 4:42:00 AM   
panda124c

Igor: I seem to have stepped in it too. Germany vs Poland Sept. 1939. 1 German Mech inf Co. two Mk IVs, three Mk IIs, couple of ATGs. Against: 64-wz30 HMGs (yes sixty-four) 15-46mm GL squads (nasty things againt half-tracks) 28-75mm wzO2/26 artillary piece (never fired) 10-PO Inf AT No infantry other than those gun support squads a few tanks. Lots of ATGs and some AA. I don't know what I walked into but all those HMGs and no real support infantry. It looks like the routine for the AI to choose forces is a little off. I actualy miss those 19 man squads.

(in reply to Igor)
Post #: 2
- 5/14/2001 6:47:00 AM   
headhunter

I encountered similar problems, further details can be found here.

(in reply to Igor)
Post #: 3
- 5/14/2001 11:08:00 PM   
panda124c

quote:

Originally posted by headhunter: I encountered similar problems, further details can be found here.
Thanks Headhunter, Every Pole in the world with his own heavy MG. :D

(in reply to Igor)
Post #: 4
- 5/15/2001 8:41:00 AM   
Igor

Well, the 5.01 patch seems to have introduced the Nationalists to the concept of the recruiting drive. I don't know if the numbers are quite right (I just re-restarted the campaign last night, and haven't finished the first battle); but there's plenty of KMT reactionaries and running dogs with rifles facing my proletarian heros, instead of just clerks and officers. Which is as it should be. Of course, the battles are still set in Central Europe (Liebchen, was ist los? Ach, those fool Chinese are assaulting Budapest again.). Can't have everything. [ May 14, 2001: Message edited by: Igor ]

(in reply to Igor)
Post #: 5
- 5/19/2001 11:00:00 AM   
Igor

Ok, I was hasty. The update did not actually fix this problem; the second battle of the generated campaign was just as light on KMT riflemen as the 5.0 version battles. This isn't good...

(in reply to Igor)
Post #: 6
- 5/19/2001 12:24:00 PM   
A_B

I have a suggestion for you. Have someone purchase and deploy the enemy for you on your long campaigns. It is quick and easy, and kinda fun. It makes the campaign 10 times better. The enemy has a reasonable composition, and a tactically proficient deployment. You also have the luxury of playing on a prebuilt map if you want. I'm playing a US Airborne campaign right now, with a friend in Mongolia setting up the opposing forces. Give it a try. Just make sure your using the same OOB.

Unconventional war requires unconventional thought

(in reply to Igor)
Post #: 7
- 5/19/2001 11:49:00 PM   
Igor

I suppose I could, but who'd be crazy enough to commit themselves to setting up 200 battles? I guess I will probably have to buy the troops myself, let the computer set them up, and save the deployment sight unseen. Now that I think of it, I wonder if the Japanese have the same problem as the KMT...

(in reply to Igor)
Post #: 8
- 5/20/2001 12:07:00 AM   
McGib

quote:

Originally posted by Igor: The first two battles saw the AI choose Nationalist forces involving 10 companies of infantry; or more accurately, one company of infantry and 9 companies of HQs. The middle 8 companies consisted of a Company HQ and 4 platoon HQs. Since this was a bit thin, the last company had a Company HQ and 24 platoon HQs. Backing all this up was a battery of off board guns, two infantry guns, and two AA guns.
I think what happend is the AI purchased 9 companies of infantry only the infantry squad used in the company formation was not available, thus only the hq's were seen. Its the only thing that makes sense to me. I've had this happen to me when I'm purchasing units except I'm smarter than the AI and I dont buy inf platoons/companies when the inf squad is not available ;)

Ready Aye Ready

(in reply to Igor)
Post #: 9
- 5/20/2001 12:18:00 AM   
Mark Ezra

Just a thought: perhaps the AI selection process is adversely effected by the troop rarity option. Have you tried set ups with and with out raity on?

All Hail Marx and Lennon

(in reply to Igor)
Post #: 10
- 5/20/2001 10:37:00 PM   
Igor

Two replies for the price of one: the same thing happens with rarity both on and off. However, it shouldn't matter; there isn't a single rifle unit in the KMT OOB with a rarity value of 1+. Now, rarity has it's own glaring bug; if you can't get a part of a unit because that particular weapon is rare (company HMGs, say); that particular company is shortmanned forever after. There is no way to hold the slot open for when the weapon (or anything else) becomes available. This has me turning off rarity for my base unit setup, then turning it back on for the actual campaign; because support weapon slots are important, darnit!

(in reply to Igor)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Something scwewy going on here... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI