Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/2/2016 5:26:01 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: gekkoguy82

I think it's important to note that this is only the starting point, and it'll most likely only get better as time goes on. I think VI is a really solid base on which to refine the different aspects of the game there are problems with, be it diplomacy (endless denouncements, seemingly random declarations of war, etc.), AI warfighting/unit construction (Holy obsolete unit spam, Batman!), or whatever. Even so, as I said earlier, I'm greatly enjoying it so far. Despite playing games many times throughout a week, Matrix offerings or others, I haven't been so engrossed in a game like this in quite some time. Not sure what that says about me, probably nothing good :-P

The Civilization Franchise overall has always been on top of the gaming food chain...thank you Sid Meier (and many others)!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to gekkoguy35)
Post #: 121
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/2/2016 5:45:21 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

I think it's important to note that this is only the starting point, and it'll most likely only get better as time goes on. I think VI is a really solid base on which to refine the different aspects of the game there are problems with, be it diplomacy (endless denouncements, seemingly random declarations of war, etc.), AI warfighting/unit construction (Holy obsolete unit spam, Batman!), or whatever. Even so, as I said earlier, I'm greatly enjoying it so far. Despite playing games many times throughout a week, Matrix offerings or others, I haven't been so engrossed in a game like this in quite some time. Not sure what that says about me, probably nothing good :-P

That one of those things I like most about this new civilization IV, tech and civil research tree. For example if you build a city on the coast you will get a bonus on sailing research.

(in reply to gekkoguy35)
Post #: 122
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/2/2016 6:48:09 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

Also tough to get gunpowder and find not only can't you buy musket men because of no Niter but you can no longer build swordsmen either which can make it tough to fight a war.

Have you checked through option menus is there a box to (un)tick that would change that particular feature?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 123
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/2/2016 9:30:17 PM   
Aurelian

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/5-changes-civilization-6-makes-to-the-strategy-fra/1100-6442275/

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 124
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/2/2016 9:55:48 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/5-changes-civilization-6-makes-to-the-strategy-fra/1100-6442275/

Thanks for the link!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 125
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/3/2016 1:01:41 AM   
Zap

I'm not yet sure why I just ordered the game, I believe the last time I purchased this series was the first or second one. I sure hope it will find a soft spot in my heart at 70.00 dollars. I need to have the paddle supplied for my lack of discipline I have been touting myself as a very selective buyer!

< Message edited by Zap -- 11/3/2016 1:24:53 AM >

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 126
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/3/2016 9:08:54 AM   
Rising-Sun

Unlike the other civ series, except for part three where you can build all the cities you want. In this one, you can still build all the cities you want regardless of happiness. The populations of that city you have to keep your eyes on. Sometimes you will ended up in a bad spot when making a new game, most players would simply reroll for another. The tricky parts, is every time you make a settler, the next one will go up in cost. So this would make the game more interesting.

One thing that combat system is better, so you will have to plan your strategy carefully. Aint like part five, where you can take on the barbarians easy. Take your time and go over tech, both science and civil trees and plan carefully. Try focus on what is around your cities, like bonus resources, etc, then pick a tech to study on.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 127
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/3/2016 2:30:38 PM   
gekkoguy35

Totally right. If you don't stay on top of the barbarians early on, things can spiral out of control pretty rapidly.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 128
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/3/2016 5:19:07 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

Totally right. If you don't stay on top of the barbarians early on, things can spiral out of control pretty rapidly.

Less than hundred turns, I have seen several civs gotten wiped out by the system. Yes the barbarians are tough and they should be.

(in reply to gekkoguy35)
Post #: 129
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/5/2016 11:18:34 PM   
Zap

From the get go. the boxed version I purchased wants me to set up stem. Dammit I don't want steam. I just want to put this game on my hard drive without having to load steam. Is there a way I can do this? Oh, I like Matrix way of selling a game. This forcing one to get a stem account is a load of #%^$

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 130
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/6/2016 12:21:55 AM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

From the get go. the boxed version I purchased wants me to set up stem. Dammit I don't want steam. I just want to put this game on my hard drive without having to load steam. Is there a way I can do this? Oh, I like Matrix way of selling a game. This forcing one to get a stem account is a load of #%^$

That is the way it is, it's perfectly safe. I was just like you a few years ago, I said "no way am I going to use Steam", then I had to use it to activate a game and now I could not live without Steam!

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 131
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/6/2016 2:25:58 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

quote:

That is the way it is, it's perfectly safe. I was just like you a few years ago, I said "no way am I going to use Steam", then I had to use it to activate a game and now I could not live without Steam!

Bought it from Steam last night.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 132
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/6/2016 8:36:17 AM   
Pvt_Grunt

I really like Steam too. It looks after all your games updates very well. Takes PayPal too.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 133
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/6/2016 9:17:24 AM   
Zap

I'm just not happy at all. It says one time authorization with steam. I bought the box version to be steam free. I'm considering offering my copy at a discount to someone. That's how much I dislike having to be forced into something I don't want. If it lets me uninstall steam after the initial install. And then I'm allowed to access the game without steam then maybe. But I don't think that's the case.

< Message edited by Zap -- 11/6/2016 9:21:38 AM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 134
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/6/2016 11:03:20 AM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

I'm just not happy at all. It says one time authorization with steam. I bought the box version to be steam free. I'm considering offering my copy at a discount to someone. That's how much I dislike having to be forced into something I don't want. If it lets me uninstall steam after the initial install. And then I'm allowed to access the game without steam then maybe. But I don't think that's the case.

Unfortunately you can't completely uninstall Steam. You can play OFFLINE but it still needs to access the local Steam folder for your game key. It runs about 3 files while your game is running offline. But, you can check it. Unplug your modem and launch the game. It will work but if you uninstall the Steam Client and that game uses DRM then it won't because it won't be able to lookup your activation key stored locally on your computer and steam client.

People are blaming Steam for what Publishers and Developers are doing. Steam is only the distributor and does only what the PUBLISHERS and DEVS tell them to do with their games. Steam doesn't put the DRM on games Publishers and Developers do, so if you have a problem with Steam it's really the Publisher and Developer you should be voicing your complaints with not Steam.

There are a few companies that use steam to distribute their games but don't use DRM and those will work with or without Steam. But, the majority of PUBLISHERS and DEVELOPERS use the DRM now in place. Steam didn't invent DRM. The Publishers and Developers did.

As they have always said "GREED" is the root of all evils.

< Message edited by aaatoysandmore -- 11/6/2016 11:14:56 AM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 135
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/6/2016 11:28:53 AM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

There are a few companies that use steam to distribute their games but don't use DRM and those will work with or without Steam. But, the majority of PUBLISHERS and DEVELOPERS use the DRM now in place. Steam didn't invent DRM. The Publishers and Developers did.

It is "Piracy" that is the root of all evil here...

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 136
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/6/2016 1:28:56 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

quote:

Unfortunately you can't completely uninstall Steam. You can play OFFLINE but it still needs to access the local Steam folder for your game key. It runs about 3 files while your game is running offline. But, you can check it. Unplug your modem and launch the game. It will work but if you uninstall the Steam Client and that game uses DRM then it won't because it won't be able to lookup your activation key stored locally on your computer and steam client.

People are blaming Steam for what Publishers and Developers are doing. Steam is only the distributor and does only what the PUBLISHERS and DEVS tell them to do with their games. Steam doesn't put the DRM on games Publishers and Developers do, so if you have a problem with Steam it's really the Publisher and Developer you should be voicing your complaints with not Steam.

Very true, when Steam came online there were few games I was interesting in and didn't like the ideas that you need to have Steam in order to use that product. Didn't like that at all! Well we have no choice, either you do it there ways or the high way!

Post #: 137
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/6/2016 3:12:15 PM   
Hotschi

Some 30 hours played, and I like it very much. The last Civ I played was Civ III (and a few days Colonization which I dumped in disgust) so there's a lot of new stuff for me.

< Message edited by Hotschi -- 11/6/2016 3:13:55 PM >

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 138
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/6/2016 4:31:09 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

I don't bother buying boxed copies any more. And little difference between a serial number you have to use to install, then play as much as you want, and using a Steam key to install, and playing as much as you want.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 139
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/6/2016 7:39:01 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

quote:

It is "Piracy" that is the root of all evil here...

No, Piracy is the root of all DRM.

A look back in history shows that there was greed before there was piracy.

< Message edited by aaatoysandmore -- 11/6/2016 7:40:48 PM >

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 140
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/6/2016 8:09:42 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

quote:

I don't bother buying boxed copies any more. And little difference between a serial number you have to use to install, then play as much as you want, and using a Steam key to install, and playing as much as you want.

Yeah after I refunded on Steam and went a head and bought the box version, want it as collection plus manual and tech tree, etc. lol wasn't a damn thing in that box, except a cd/dvd!

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 141
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/6/2016 8:35:29 PM   
Franciscus

quote:

quote:

Yep, the only possible exception being the fine hardbound manuals as the one found in DC: Barbarossa. Of course, they can and will become more or less outdated (very little in DC:B case), but they sure look nice :)

Former AJE team member

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 142
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/6/2016 8:41:23 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

quote:

quote:

Yeah after I refunded on Steam and went a head and bought the box version, want it as collection plus manual and tech tree, etc. lol wasn't a damn thing in that box, except a cd/dvd!

That stinks.

The last Collector's Edition I bought was Sword of the Stars a few years ago. Went to reinstall it recently, and couldn't find the key.....

Screw it, I said. Bought it on Steam

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 11/6/2016 8:45:22 PM >

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 143
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/6/2016 8:47:56 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franciscus

quote:

quote:

Yep, the only possible exception being the fine hardbound manuals as the one found in DC: Barbarossa. Of course, they can and will become more or less outdated (very little in DC:B case), but they sure look nice :)

That they do. And you still get the pdf manual. Which is much quicker to search. Unless you have an eidetic memory. (I do...:) )

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 144
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/6/2016 8:48:41 PM   
Zap

Well, I will express my dissatisfaction at Firaxis I know it will do little. But now its decision time do I load the game or not. So what I understand how it works is a folder for steam on my hard drive with the game. The one time activation takes me to steam to set up an account. Once set up and activated I will not be sent to the internet(to steam)in the future the key will be in steam folder on my hard drive?

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 145
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/6/2016 10:49:30 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

Well, I will express my dissatisfaction at Firaxis I know it will do little. But now its decision time do I load the game or not. So what I understand how it works is a folder for steam on my hard drive with the game. The one time activation takes me to steam to set up an account. Once set up and activated I will not be sent to the internet(to steam)in the future the key will be in steam folder on my hard drive?

Yes, you can play it forever offline as long as you have the steam client installed which only looks for that local activation key when you launch the game. You don't have to be online for that. The only games I've found where you need to be online are MMO's and collectable card games like Magic the Gathering and Hex shards of Fate and a few others. What they use are not steam servers but their own to store offline information but you'd still need the steam client even for them.

But, if all you play are strategy games like Civilization you'll have no worries. It's all local and doesn't require you to be online. Just the steam client. (Note) there is that ONE TIME activation to store that key that you'll need to be online. That's all and that's like any game that used to use cd keys. You had to put that cd in at least once an install the games and then type in your activation code. That's all steam really is is the replacement for the cd drive.

< Message edited by aaatoysandmore -- 11/6/2016 10:52:59 PM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 146
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/7/2016 12:15:35 AM   
Zap

Well I can live with that.

Post #: 147
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/7/2016 12:54:47 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

Well I can live with that.

One thing to keep in mind though if you want the patches you'll need to log into steam from time to time just to get those. Since it's done automatically when you logon you won't really have to do anything but wait out the patch and then log back off. That's really no different than you getting the patches online this just puts them into one local place and safe website. So, like when you hear or read of a new patch. Just logon to Steam, wait out the download of it and then go back offline.

Also, since you'll be new to Steam you probably don't know where the "offline" selection is. It will be at the TOP LEFT under the word STEAM up there. The 2nd one in the drop down menu I believe. Then every time you want to play that game it will ask you if you want to play offline and you will select yes offline mode. When you want a patch or check for a patch you will click start in offline mode and then go back to the top left and click go online under the Steam heading.

< Message edited by aaatoysandmore -- 11/7/2016 1:01:13 PM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 148
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/7/2016 5:20:23 PM   
Zap

Thanks that clear info. appreciate it.

Post #: 149
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/7/2016 7:45:17 PM   
Aurelian

https://geeksnack.com/civilization-6-sales-now-1-million-units-steam-alone/

Civilization 6 may not be perfect but it’s definitely the most polished entry in the long-running series so far. It’s not just the critics who are saying it either judging by the mostly positive reviews coming from Steam users. In fact, Civilization 6 has been so successful that it already managed to sell 1 million units in less than two weeks since launch according to the latest data gathered by Steamspy. Keep in mind, though, that we’re only talking about Steam sales here.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI