Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 7/10/2015 12:54:37 AM   
hellfish6

I like 2-D top down. I still think the icons from the SP series are pretty snazzy looking.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 151
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 7/10/2015 1:17:00 AM   
marcpennington

I'm OK with either top down or a semi-3d isometric view. I just hope they choose one or the other and not try and do both, as when games do that, there tend to be compromises, and I'd much rather them pouring all resources into one or the other to make it look as good as possible.

For that matter I'm OK with counters or "models" (or whatever one calls the units in the original SP). If counters though, I really hope they follow of the LnL model of detailed pictures of units, as that was always part of the appeal of SP.

< Message edited by map66 -- 7/10/2015 2:18:53 AM >

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 152
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 7/10/2015 1:40:29 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Well, if it's top down you can count me out because I have 6 renditions of that old tried method. Without a REAL graphics improvement to the icons there's no need to buy into another. But, I guess for the new kids on the block and old fuddy duddies it will be ok. I'm old but I try to move with the now and the future.

I have my Norbsoft games and I'll be playing those. Has the kind of graphics I like and the ability to chose how much of the game I want to take part in. Best game ever made to me. That includes your Steel Panthers. If only CA and Total War franchise could get him to code their battle engine and AI. (sigh)

I'm done here though I think I got enough information out of Pip and Erik for what I needed to know. Don't ya just love how I do that guys? If I hadn't caused a conflict it might have been awhile before you knew.

(in reply to marcpennington)
Post #: 153
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 7/10/2015 2:24:46 AM   
JEB Davis

Here's a good reference for a 50m hex.
It was taken from AH Tobruk (the original) which used 75m hexes (IIRC).
Years ago I edited it by drawing a 50m hex over it and removing the 75m.

[image][URL=http://s813.photobucket.com/user/JEBDavis/media/50m%20Hex.jpg.html][/URL][/image]

Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 154
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 7/10/2015 5:16:41 PM   
Riitaoja

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

The visuals will be very high quality. It will not look like Battle Academy, which had its own art style, it will look like a much better Steel Panthers.

We really can't say much more at this point, despite all the interest, but I'm glad to see that you are all interested!

Regards,

- Erik

Thats great to hear!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 155
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 7/10/2015 6:10:18 PM   
Alchenar

The graphics themselves aren't so much of an issue for me - you can do tremendous things with 2d sprites on a flat hex map so long as you base everything around a consistent style.

What I'm interested in is if we're going to get a UI that's based around modern design principles or whether we're going to get the usual 2by3 'good for Windows 3.1' effort.

< Message edited by Alchenar -- 7/10/2015 7:10:55 PM >

(in reply to Riitaoja)
Post #: 156
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 7/10/2015 6:19:34 PM   
modrow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

The visuals will be very high quality. It will not look like Battle Academy, which had its own art style, it will look like a much better Steel Panthers.

We really can't say much more at this point, despite all the interest, but I'm glad to see that you are all interested!

Regards,

- Erik

Erik,

no need to say much... just make sure you can sell us the game as soon as possible in standard 2x3 quality...
How about a new thread in the "coming soon" section?

Hartwig

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 157
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 7/10/2015 10:51:22 PM   
Ratzki

quote:

ORIGINAL: JEB Davis

[image][URL=http://s813.photobucket.com/user/JEBDavis/media/50m%20Hex.jpg.html][/URL][/image]

I think that 25m+/- would work well, at least for WW2.

(in reply to JEB Davis)
Post #: 158
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 7/27/2015 3:10:50 AM   
marcpennington

So it's been like a month. Any chance for a developer hint or some such on how this is going? :) I know a screenshot as such is probably too much, but I can't imagine this one being anything other than the most anticipated computer war-game of all time, so any scraps would work. Just give us the model graphic of one tank or something, than I will shut up for another month.

< Message edited by map66 -- 7/27/2015 4:11:46 AM >

(in reply to Ratzki)
Post #: 159
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 7/27/2015 8:32:27 AM   
operating

+1

(in reply to marcpennington)
Post #: 160
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 7/27/2015 12:25:00 PM   
Riitaoja

This is of course pure speculation on my part but I think they are still at the very beginning of the project. They are probably working on the new Archon game engine and thinking about the core game mechanics. Be patient maybe we will get some more info by the end of the year.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 161
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 8/31/2015 1:45:27 AM   
JEB Davis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ratzki

quote:

I think that 25m+/- would work well, at least for WW2.

Agreed, 25m hex size would be large enough for any size squad. With an intelligent routine for stacking limits it should be a good improvement. The big draw for me toward 25m hexes is that the terrain & building graphics can be more realistically sized to match the tanks & squads AND give even better detail because it will be zoomed in 2x over what we currently have in SP:WaW.

Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/

(in reply to Ratzki)
Post #: 162
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 9/9/2015 4:40:03 PM   
Riitaoja

Bump!

< Message edited by Riitaoja -- 9/9/2015 6:30:10 PM >

(in reply to JEB Davis)
Post #: 163
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 9/13/2015 5:28:55 PM   
hellfish6

This is quite honestly the only game I'm looking forward to.

(in reply to Riitaoja)
Post #: 164
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 12/21/2015 8:57:13 PM   
fmonster

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellfish6

This is quite honestly the only game I'm looking forward to.

This is the first game that I have looked forward to in over a decade! Bring it on!

Matrix Games Owned

- American Civil War
- Forge Of Freedom
- John Tiller's Campaign Series
- TOAW III
- War In The Pacific
- War In The Pacific AE
- War Plan Orange
- SP:WaW
- Brother Against Brother
- Carriers at War

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 165
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 12/21/2015 10:50:13 PM   
Rosseau

The biggest problem I had (have) with the spin-off SPWaW and SP Modern is the turn resolution lasts forever. So people tell me to play small battles

Shouldn't be an issue with today's hardware. Even the older HPS games fly on "fast AI" setting.

OT for a moment, but my wish biggest this Christmas besides peace on Earth: all HPS games are converted to new Panzer Battles Normandy graphics standards!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 166
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 12/22/2015 12:35:25 AM   
mllange

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

The biggest problem I had (have) with the spin-off SPWaW and SP Modern is the turn resolution lasts forever. So people tell me to play small battles

Shouldn't be an issue with today's hardware. Even the older HPS games fly on "fast AI" setting.

OT for a moment, but my wish biggest this Christmas besides peace on Earth: all HPS games are converted to new Panzer Battles Normandy graphics standards!

Speaking of which, what do you think of Panzer Battles Normandy? The scale (250 meters / hex) is a far cry from Steel Panthers (50 meters / hex) and the Campaign Series with the 250 m/hex scale just next quite scratched the same tactical itch as SP:WaW.

There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 167
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 12/22/2015 3:47:44 AM   
Kuokkanen

To my understanding, Steel Panthers game closest to Panzer Campaigns and JTCS is SP3: Brigade Command. For any other Steel Panthers game HPS/John Tiller game of comparison is Squad Battles.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 168
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 12/28/2015 9:55:42 PM   
acctingman1969

Is there even a guess on a release time? 2016? 2017?

Looking forward to getting HoI 4, but if this game is anything like Steel Panthers (meaning we'll have access to every WW2 nations ToE's, that will be awesome!)

Thanks

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 169
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 12/28/2015 10:46:54 PM   
hellfish6

What I hope that they keep in mind when developing the game is that Steel Panther was great (IMHO) because it allowed me to play the game I wanted to play. I could make a force and take it through campaigns as I saw fit. It was intensely replayable. I hope that whatever gets extruded from the Steel Panthers into Steel Tigers, the replayability gets squeezed into the new game. The ability to make my own units, fight on generated (or historical) battlefields against historical (or Red/Green/Blue) enemy forces are what I'm looking for.

Slide off whatever content you want into the DLCs and I'll buy them as long as I can take my mixed Char 2C battalion into the fight against the Germans (or Soviets or Spanish or English or whomever I want to fight against).

< Message edited by hellfish6 -- 12/28/2015 11:51:13 PM >

(in reply to acctingman1969)
Post #: 170
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 5/17/2016 4:35:21 PM   
sIg3b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Riitaoja

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore
...I want randomized everything, scenario's and campaign's...

Actually I seldom played the random battles or campaigns in any Steel Panthers games. I always prefered the premade ones that followed some historic story and had nicely made maps with the AI deployed in a sensible way.

The random battles on the other hand just had a fairly dull looking procedurally generated map with often silly placement of roads and bridges. Also the AI would just throw it's units on the map and place AT guns in thick forest and do all sorts of other silly things like that with its units.

That said random battle generator is ofcourse still an easy way to quickly add more content to a new game. Making good custom scenarios and campaigns takes alot of time.

I have always preferred the random battles to everything else. Keep them quick and bloody, keep important realism features like Command Control and Rarity, improve random map generator and AI and I will be perfectly happy!

(in reply to Riitaoja)
Post #: 171
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 5/17/2016 5:30:47 PM   
sIg3b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

+1 All theaters in one package equal to comprehensive SPWAW

+1 All *Western* theatres in one package, at the least.

If they leave the Pacific theatre to an expansion, I guess I can live with it.

< Message edited by Tesuji -- 5/18/2016 4:25:48 PM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 172
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 5/18/2016 10:19:52 PM   
Ranger33

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellfish6

What I hope that they keep in mind when developing the game is that Steel Panther was great (IMHO) because it allowed me to play the game I wanted to play. I could make a force and take it through campaigns as I saw fit. It was intensely replayable. I hope that whatever gets extruded from the Steel Panthers into Steel Tigers, the replayability gets squeezed into the new game. The ability to make my own units, fight on generated (or historical) battlefields against historical (or Red/Green/Blue) enemy forces are what I'm looking for.

Slide off whatever content you want into the DLCs and I'll buy them as long as I can take my mixed Char 2C battalion into the fight against the Germans (or Soviets or Spanish or English or whomever I want to fight against).

+1 to all of this. If there's one thing that drives me crazy about the Combat Mission games is how they have compartmentalized things so much. If I want to have Soviets fighting Americans in Italy using equipment from different time periods, I should be able to! I paid my money for all of those things yet they are roped off from each other.

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 173
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 5/18/2016 11:32:47 PM   
Twotribes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: **budd**

I hope they stay with the top down look. I have every confidence in 2x3.

I hope they don't. I have every confidence in 2x3. (I'm really hoping for the Battle Academy look)

I'm hoping the HIGH quality VISUAL look gave it away.

quote:

Just out of curiousity, what is wrong with Rising Sun?

Jason Petho

What isn't? Here's the short list:

1. Yellow Tanks? (they could have used the bases and put the real color of tanks and other units for the Japs.

2. Everything way too small. It was almost like playing a Close Combat game which I don't for that exact reason.

3. Movement too slow (two hexes a turn for the inf? it takes forever to get into the action)

4. Cricket sound was annoying and terrible.

5. Takes too long for the engagements to start in random battles. Especially with that 2 hex movement of inf. front lines should have been 2 to 3 turns apart no more than 5.

6. Had to click every side exchange in an AI vs AI match just trying to watch how a game plays in the beginning. It's still annoying in a regular game when it's the AI's turn. If I click end turn it should be end turn and I don't have to click for the AI to start moving.

7. Too many units to move in a regiment vs regiment battle the smallest battle in the game and it took forever to finish just my turn let alone watching the ai move in a non-fog game.

8. AI generally braindead like most Tiller games.

Mostly it just looked and played like a toy soldiers in a sandbox. Too small icons and too long for a turn to pass.

What else would you like to know?

I almost hate to say this... but I really don't.

aaa it looks like you don't want a Steel Panthers game at all!
You keep describing something else altogether.

You obviously have not read much from AAA he doesn't like much of anything that has already been done and has stated he does not like historical games either.

(in reply to JEB Davis)
Post #: 174
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 9/6/2016 10:00:14 PM   
hazxan

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Now,

About Age of Rifles....

Best wishes,
Steve

This. *100

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 175
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 11/7/2016 10:05:48 PM   
Michael T

Any more news on this game?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 176
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 11/8/2016 2:15:10 PM   
wodin

I think any news is still abit into the future..still I too am waiting patiently!! Sort of..

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 177
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 11/8/2016 2:22:59 PM   
zakblood

when they make it,

and it's ready

i'll sign up for the beta

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 178
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 11/8/2016 8:22:06 PM   
Major_Mess

Colour me sceptical.
Until there's some tangible proof I can't invest in this.

All we've had is words, I need action!!!!

Tease Me, show me sumpthin!

MM

Click below. You know you want to!!

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 179
RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers - 11/10/2016 8:22:46 AM   
Gerry4321

Almost 2 years since the announcement? And no word at all?

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI