Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  71 72 [73] 74 75   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/14/2016 2:07:06 PM   
Ostwindflak

Finished The Conquering Tide by Ian Toll the other night. It was a very good read like the first book in the trilogy. Now I have to wait for the third book to come out in 2018.

Next up is a trilogy I purchased while reading these two books. It shifts to the European theater.

The Liberation Trilogy by Richard Atkinson.

Volume one: An Army At Dawn

Volume two: The Day of Battle

Volume three: The Guns at Last Light

And the link: https://www.amazon.com/Liberation-Trilogy-Boxed-Set/dp/1627790594/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476450290&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Liberation+trilogy

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2161
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/15/2016 2:29:21 PM   
burlesqueballer

"48 Laws of Power" by Tom Green

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2162
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/17/2016 11:55:10 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

Finished The Conquering Tide by Ian Toll the other night. It was a very good read like the first book in the trilogy. Now I have to wait for the third book to come out in 2018.

Next up is a trilogy I purchased while reading these two books. It shifts to the European theater.

The Liberation Trilogy by Richard Atkinson.

Volume one: An Army At Dawn

Volume two: The Day of Battle

Volume three: The Guns at Last Light

And the link: https://www.amazon.com/Liberation-Trilogy-Boxed-Set/dp/1627790594/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476450290&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Liberation+trilogy

I enjoyed these books myself, particularly the first. It dealt very well with an underserved theater of the war. The others, while well done, were kind of 'been there, done that', IMO. Be interested to hear your take when you're done.

(in reply to Ostwindflak)
Post #: 2163
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/17/2016 11:59:44 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Indian Removal by Grant Foreman 1932

Well footnoted, lots of first person accounts. Few people know the complete story. The Cherokees deserved their Trail of Tears

I know that this is a very sensitive subject. Pointing out that Indian tribes warred amongst themselves for hundreds of years and deliberately kicked one another off of prime hunting / fishing / farming ground or is fraught with political peril these days. Does the author go into internecine Indian warfare as well as that involving 'white' settlers?

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2164
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/17/2016 2:09:35 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Indian Removal by Grant Foreman 1932

Well footnoted, lots of first person accounts. Few people know the complete story. The Cherokees deserved their Trail of Tears

I know that this is a very sensitive subject. Pointing out that Indian tribes warred amongst themselves for hundreds of years and deliberately kicked one another off of prime hunting / fishing / farming ground or is fraught with political peril these days. Does the author go into internecine Indian warfare as well as that involving 'white' settlers?

The more sensitive the better... reason to look closer

He just covers the time from the end of 1812 war up to the last removals. By then it was White, Indian, Black vs. Indian,White Black. The Cherokee helped defeat the other tribes during 1812/Creek Wars and Indian Removal started slowly then peaking went into the 1830s. Tribes of Chickasaws, Choctaws, Creeks suffering first.

It shows how Whites, Indians and Blacks were already living side by side, then after 1812 War and Creek Wars the wild unstable times resulting from White immigrants flooding west(Alabama,Mississippi,Tennessee) - land hungry and conflicting with both Indians and white indigenous peoples.
Every white person that could get ANY Indian to mark a piece of paper was laying claim to land. Barrels of whiskey where left near tribal settlements to keeep them constantly drunk.

Some tribes went out west with ease and style. In some tribes the "Chiefs" took the money and went east to a big city while the rest of the tribe went out west in squalor. There was no monolith of happenings. The Creek Chief Red Eagle was full blooded white.

As one person noted : The Creek tribes that are being rounded up contain people of every shade of red, every shade of white, every shade of black.

Another:
I was a Confederate officer and fought the entire Civil War and I never saw human misery like I saw during the Creek removal.

Many of the Indian peace treaty signers were killed by their people once out west.

There is alot of unknown history from this era. A very detailed book, where the author presents tons of data, the majority of it first person, without spin.

Having a Creek ancestor that was married to a white ,and living white, she stayed. Ive studied the history beyond the general knowledge. Its become a cliche for a white to say "I have Indian blood" yet if you have white ancestors that were among the first settlers there's a reason to say it.

I believe most of the whites knew there is no difference in peoples so "Its better then that its us with the control"

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 10/17/2016 2:42:40 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2165
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/17/2016 2:15:16 PM   
wodin

Alcohol affected Native Americans a lot more than Europeans due to Europeans drinking it for many many generations whilst Native Americans had no tolerance to it.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2166
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/17/2016 2:22:51 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Alcohol affected Native Americans a lot more than Europeans due to Europeans drinking it for many many generations whilst Native Americans had no tolerance to it.

All they had in the Southeast before "1492" was a natural mild honey beer/ale and the Black Drink which was a purging with a non alcoholic buzz. And some other chemical buzzes. They were first rate botanists.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 10/17/2016 2:30:24 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2167
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/17/2016 8:28:44 PM   
wodin

Oh I'm sure they used hallucinogenics and I believe the original tobacco brought back to Europe was also hallucinogenic unlike todays. Just didn't use alcohol which isn't surprising as Alcohol is a male drug where as I'm sure they used female drugs (i.e using female plants)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2168
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/18/2016 5:46:53 AM   
warspite1

Right having finished Invasion of England 1940 I should have about a week before We March Against England arrives. Time hopefully to get the second House of Cards book - To Play the King - finished off

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2169
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/18/2016 2:23:23 PM   
Greybriar

I am currently reading Ship of Ghosts: The Story of the USS Houston, FDR's Legendary Lost Cruiser, and the Epic Saga of Her Survivors by James D. Hornfischer. I recommend this book to anyone interested in the history of World War II in the Pacific theatre.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2170
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/26/2016 10:31:33 PM   
warspite1

Mmmmm I left the Pacific to read a couple of books on Sea Lion. I've now finished those and am at a bit of a loss as to what to read next

I wanted to head back to the Pacific but now I have a taste for 1939/40 ETO.... I think I'll re-read the Sea Lion books again while I wait for the next Friedman book to appear before Christmas.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 2171
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/27/2016 1:22:15 AM   
nelmsm1

Just getting into Gettysburg July 1 by David G. Martin. Not to far in but loving all the detail.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2172
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/27/2016 2:46:04 AM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: nelmsm

Just getting into Gettysburg July 1 by David G. Martin. Not to far in but loving all the detail.

Does he theorize what Jackson would have done?

(in reply to nelmsm1)
Post #: 2173
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/27/2016 12:03:43 PM   
nelmsm1

I looked ahead and thought I saw a chapter heading concerning that

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2174
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/27/2016 12:13:15 PM   
ncc1701e

I have just started "To Hell and Back" from Ian Kershaw. It is incredible how the same mistake is repeated.
Nobody knows how to end a war properly.

(in reply to nelmsm1)
Post #: 2175
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/27/2016 9:18:31 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

I have just started "To Hell and Back" from Ian Kershaw. It is incredible how the same mistake is repeated.
warspite1

Can you let us know what you think after say a couple of chapters please. Interesting subject but just too worried that its too high level (given the sheer amount that needs to be covered). Anyway, thanks in advance.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 2176
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/27/2016 9:27:01 PM   
Kuokkanen

I'm still reading Personal Demons by Elliott Kay.
quote:

"...We hit the site with a couple of Hellfire missiles from a Predator drone a little over half an hour ago."
Alex snorted. "Wait. Hellfire missiles? You shot a demon cult with weaponized irony?"

I'm having so fun with this
If that got your attention, I recommend you to start from #1 novel in the series: Good Intentions.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Ostwindflak)
Post #: 2177
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/30/2016 3:45:08 PM   
Zorch

I've moved from Grainger's 'Fall of the Selukid Empire' to Eugene Rogan's 'Fall of the Ottomans'. Do I sense a pattern?

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 2178
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/30/2016 4:15:12 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

I've moved from Grainger's 'Fall of the Selukid Empire' to Eugene Rogan's 'Fall of the Ottomans'. Do I sense a pattern?
warspite1

Yes I spot it - your next book will be Harrison's Legends of the Fall?

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2179
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/30/2016 4:24:22 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I have just started "To Hell and Back" from Ian Kershaw.

It's been a few years since I've read the autobiography of Audie Murphy of the same title, but I remember enjoying that as well.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 2180
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/31/2016 8:53:13 PM   
ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Can you let us know what you think after say a couple of chapters please. Interesting subject but just too worried that its too high level (given the sheer amount that needs to be covered). Anyway, thanks in advance.

At the risk of disappointing you, the book remains indeed at a high level. If you are a subject matter expert of the period, you will not learn a lot.

But, if you would like a summary of this period, it is very good so far from my point of view. Explaining clearly why WW1 treaty of Versailles and other factors has led to WW2. Correctly ending a war is the key and this is still the case nowadays.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2181
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/31/2016 9:10:17 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

At the risk of disappointing you, the book remains indeed at a high level. If you are a subject matter expert of the period, you will not learn a lot.

But, if you would like a summary of this period, it is very good so far from my point of view. Explaining clearly why WW1 treaty of Versailles and other factors has led to WW2. Correctly ending a war is the key and this is still the case nowadays.
warspite1

Heehee - I wish I was an expert.....

Thanks for the heads up - I may still give it a go.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 2182
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/6/2016 8:24:32 PM   
warspite1

Reading the Sealion books again so close to the first time seems a bit of a waste.

So what to read? I bought Lawrence in Arabia (Anderson) on a whim a few years back, having been recommended by someone in the WITP-AE forum.

It has remained on my shelf unread ever since. While I wait for the Friedman book on carrier aircraft at Christmas, I thought I would give this a go. Two chapters in and, regardless of whatever else it may be (can't comment yet on the history) its a really good easy to read book!

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/6/2016 8:35:31 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2183
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/6/2016 9:32:06 PM   
berto

Having finished the 11-volume Story of Civilization earlier this year, I am now on a multi-year slog through the eight-volume Cambridge Medieval History (1911-1936 version).

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2184
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/7/2016 4:11:09 AM   
Waffenamt

Eagles at War by Ben Kane. 1st part of a trilogy based upon the battle of Teutoburg forest in 9 AD. I'm about a third of the way into it but I'm gripped. Excellent writing from the author and a fine eye for historical detail. Recommended to anyone interested in this period.

Regards

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 2185
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/7/2016 7:26:38 AM   
loki100

realise I've not contributed for a while (... stop cheering ).

presume re-reading counts? If so The Further Adventures of Halley's Comet by John Calvin Batchelor. Works on the premise that comets are real entities so every time Halley's Comet comes close to earth things are shaken up.

(in reply to Waffenamt)
Post #: 2186
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/9/2016 4:53:17 PM   
warspite1

I'm led to believe that the following books are required reading for those interested in Operation Sealion. They are both elderly tomes (both 1958) so not sure quite what to expect but.... As soon as I have read Lawrence in Arabia I shall be giving these a go .

Silent Victory (Grinnell-Milne)
Operation Sea Lion (Wheatley)

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2187
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/9/2016 5:00:27 PM   
wings7

quote:

I'm led to believe that the following books are required reading for those interested in Operation Sealion. They are both elderly tomes (both 1958) so not sure quite what to expect but.... As soon as I have read Lawrence in Arabia I shall be giving these a go .

Silent Victory (Grinnell-Milne)
Operation Sea Lion (Wheatley)

I'll check them out! Thanks Robert!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2188
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/23/2016 8:04:19 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Reading the Sealion books again so close to the first time seems a bit of a waste.

So what to read? I bought Lawrence in Arabia (Anderson) on a whim a few years back, having been recommended by someone in the WITP-AE forum.

It has remained on my shelf unread ever since. While I wait for the Friedman book on carrier aircraft at Christmas, I thought I would give this a go. Two chapters in and, regardless of whatever else it may be (can't comment yet on the history) its a really good easy to read book!
warspite1

Just over halfway now and I would thoroughly recommend this book. It gives a very nice back drop to anyone studying or interested in the problems of the modern Middle East too.

Lawrence comes across as a distinctly unlikeable chap and from the way he is described by others who met him, the tone of his writings (particularly to his mother) I suspect that today he would be diagnosed with some kind of -ism or other - strange chap indeed.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2189
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/23/2016 10:50:48 AM   
demyansk

Deal With The Devil
the fbi secret thirty year relationship with a mafia killer Peter lance

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2190
Page:   <<   < prev  71 72 [73] 74 75   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  71 72 [73] 74 75   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI