Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! Page: <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/8/2016 6:14:45 AM   
warspite1

Right its put your money where your mouth is time.

It will end on Sunday - whether that's a Rosberg win or a Lewis breakdown or whatever it doesn't matter. It ends on Sunday with Rosberg crowned World Champion.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1021
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/8/2016 11:28:47 AM   
Gilmer

I thought there were 2 more races.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1022
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/8/2016 4:06:34 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

I thought there were 2 more races.
warspite1

There are two more races, but if Rosberg wins in Brazil or Lewis DNF's (and Rosberg finishes higher than 8th or something) then the last race is superfluous from a championship perspective because Rosberg cannot then be caught....

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 1023
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/10/2016 6:36:23 AM   
warspite1

So JP gets another season with Renault! Well he must have some money to bring to the party.

But in fairness, Magnussen is supposedly highly rated and JP has not done badly against him - beaten him on occasion too - and seems to be getting stronger as the season goes on.

JP clearly isn't the next Schumacher but I do think he is one of those solid, methodical drivers that can do a very good job just through the application he is prepared to give to the job. Someone Renault probably needs at this stage.

I'm really pleased for him.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1024
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/12/2016 12:16:47 AM   
Gilmer

Max Verstappen and that new 18 year old are probably the future of F1. Max has shown some flashes of brilliance and some flashes of immaturity. He looks to be on the verge of an excellent career.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1025
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/13/2016 6:53:56 PM   
warspite1

What we witnessed today was something truly special. That drive from Verstappen was quite simply extraordinary!!!

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 1026
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/13/2016 7:45:00 PM   
british exil

I think most drivers if not all are happy that today's race is over. Was along racing day, for most.

A lot of drivers complaining about the tires.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1027
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/13/2016 9:42:51 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

A lot of drivers complaining about the tires.

I would have complained more about the wet stuff falling from the sky . . .

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/37968831

But an extraordinary job there were no serious injuries.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 1028
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/13/2016 10:16:03 PM   
Hotschi

It was obvious that Charlie Whiting (and who knows else) wanted this race to be finished with full points no matter what.

First a Safety Car Start, then - twice! - the Red Flag. I guess at any other time in the season they would have called it a day, but not THAT late in the season - and I think it was the right decision to do so. I was only surprised they didn't finally red-flag the race in lap 54 with 3/4ths of the race finished (and full points for the drivers).

Verstappen was outstanding, often driving a very different line as all the other racers, he was aggressive, but - as so often - Red Bull's strategy spoiled a better result.

Very nice to watch was Massa's emotional good-bye in the pit-lane, with mechanics applauding, his wife and son hugging him - even his former Ferrari Team applauded him. He will be missed - a "36 second - world champion", but after his crash never the same again. But a true gentleman and almost always tough but fair racer. (His "advice" to Hamilton after Monaco 2011 is still one of the best comments ever heard).

Rosberg, again, ****-footing around, being too cautious. Just trying to administer his lead can back-fire, and this time he was lucky.

On to Abu Dhabi, then we'll have our Champion. And it's still not over yet...

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 1029
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/15/2016 6:06:35 PM   
british exil

I guaranty that the championship will definitely be decided in 9 days 13hrs 53min 30secs.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1030
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/20/2016 3:06:34 PM   
Jagdtiger14

I actually like this concept. I'm sure the purists wont:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ecclestone-proposes-two-race-f1-format-004540001--f1.html

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

Post #: 1031
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/20/2016 3:32:05 PM   
Hotschi

"People have a much shorter attention span and a lot of sports are looking at introducing shorter forms of their games," Ecclestone, the F1 chief executive, told the Sunday Times.

I guess he never watched the 24hrs of Le Mans then.

Ecclestone keeps pondering whacky ideas (and his political views) regularly, maybe just to stay in the news. If they want to make this sport more attractive, they should check their rulebooks, which are bloated to the extreme. I am just waiting for the time when, during the race, each team needs an attending lawyer to advice what the drivers are allowed to do and what not. This mutlitude of penalties - and inconsistency in the decisions! - is just silly, this is no longer racing as it was in the old days. Same goes for rule changes during the season, especially in cases when a new rule is implemented, and a couple later races dumped again (see this year's roaler Coaster regarding the team-radio).

One of Ecclestone's ideas for example, is to use camera views from long distance, so that the sponsor logos which are now painted all over the place, are bigger, longer - and better - in view on telly. That in consequence the race cars are only small dots doesn't bother him a second. He's just after money, greed, that's all.

Ecclestone is one of those people who simply have missed the best opportunity to quit. He's old, out-fashioned and has to go. I guess his days in the F1-business are numbered anyway.

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 1032
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/20/2016 7:19:20 PM   
british exil

quote:

"People have a much shorter attention span and a lot of sports are looking at introducing shorter forms of their games," Ecclestone, the F1 chief executive, told the Sunday Times.

He meant the very rich. Those that like to have their photos taken and be seen whilst strolling through paddocks/ pits. Sip their champagne on the F1 VIP lounge balcony prior to the race and whilst the start. That then retire into the lounge with other members and return when the winner receives his trophy.And have no idea what the F1 is.

Yes these people do have a short attention span. Bernie is correct again.
The F1 circuits need to have a mile straight, no corners and just have the start and whoever reaches the end first wins. Wait, maybe I am mixing things up with drag racing. We already have that.

Mat

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1033
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/20/2016 9:49:10 PM   
Gilmer

That's the dumbest idea since playing the NFL in London at 8 AM eastern in the U.S.

Post #: 1034
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/27/2016 1:53:20 PM   
Gilmer

Wow, Nico and Lewis REALLY don't like each other.

They have not said one word to each other.

< Message edited by H Gilmer -- 11/27/2016 2:00:26 PM >

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 1035
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/27/2016 2:07:35 PM   
Gilmer

quote:

Wow, Nico and Lewis REALLY don't like each other.

They have not said one word to each other. Ok, they finally did.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 1036
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/27/2016 3:40:37 PM   
CarnageINC

CONGRATS TO THE NEW WORLD CHAMPION, NICO ROSBERG!!!!

< Message edited by CarnageINC -- 11/27/2016 3:41:53 PM >

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 1037
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/27/2016 3:58:26 PM   
warspite1

Congratulations to Nico Rosberg. A deserved Formula 1 World Champion .

I’ve just seen the footage from 1982 when, as a little boy, Nico is being interviewed. In a high pitched excited voice he explains that now his dad is World Champion he can teach me how to do karting so I may one day be in F1 and maybe win the World Championship.

Bless. Cute ain’t the word .

As for Lewis, 2016 was just not to be. 10 wins – if the race at Monaco showed his class, the opening 4 corners at Silverstone were quite simply extraordinary. Lewis you may have not won the world championship this year, but you are a true champion .

To Max Verstappen, you are scarily good .

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 1038
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/27/2016 4:03:59 PM   
Franciscus

Da*n, I'm getting old...

It seems like yesterday when I was a 14-year old teenager thrilled with Keke Rosberg's driving style and championship win.

Now you're telling me his SON won the F1 championship ?? Are you kidding me ?

Congratulations, Nico.

< Message edited by Franciscus -- 11/27/2016 4:05:55 PM >

Former AJE team member

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1039
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/27/2016 9:47:51 PM   
Hotschi

Nico Rosberg is it!

What a race! Hamilton did everything tactical to get Rosberg into trouble by the Ferraris and Red Bulls, but without success - Rosberg did what he had to do to become world champion. Rosberg overtaking Verstappen was a daring and very well executed maneuver even though I doubt it was necessary, since Verstappen still had to execute his first pit-stop to change tyres (delta-time 22 seconds), but at least it shows that Rosberg wasn't too cautious.

A well deserved championship, both Mercedes drivers would have equally deserved it - but it was Rosberg this time.

One huge annoyance to me was Toto Wolf's reaction after the race. Interviewed for the Austrian TV, he said he was angry with Hamilton for his slow speed, and said that in doing so he endangered the team's double victory. Ah come on man, before the race you say "today they are allowed to do everything" (interviewed in German) and after the race you change your mind? They even had Paddy Lowe, technical chief(?) of Mercedes, telling, no "ordering", Hamilton on the team radio to speed up. Bloody double-speakers these guys! Mercedes already won the contructor championship, they have won the drivers' championship, and who in let's say 2 or 3 years cares how many victories they scored in one season? Let Hamilton and Rosberg race goddamit!

What else should Hamilton have done? He could have done it Schumacher-style, i.e. luring Rosberg to try to pass him in the first corner, only to force him off track there. But no, he decided to play fair; slowing down the race in an attempt to trouble Rosberg was his only option, and he chose it. Clever tactic, no matter what the Mercedes bosses say. My hats off for this, even though I can't stand Hamilton as a person.

Another annoyace - I must be a grumpy old man - was the TV coverage, as during the race they repeatedly showed some more or less known folks which were visiting the race or the pits. There was excitement on the track, but no, they had to show us Jorge Lorenzo and Roger Federer, they repeatedly showed some odd girlie named Ora "whatever", and to top it all, they showed Paris Hilton (heeeeeelp!!!!!), coverd in half an inch of cement in her face - must have been her make-up - taking a seat in one of the pits. Who cares????? I want to watch a F1-race, not some tennis players, motorbike-drivers, and some odd drunken party girlies who's profession is "daughter of a millionaire". But, to be fair, it was absolutely nice to see Hamilton's mum, Button's family, Rosberg's wife and whoever else related to one of the drivers. But not these "others"!

Massa scored in his last race, but Jenson Button was not so luckily. Both are drivers which I will miss dearly.

Let's see how next season will gonna be, could very well be that the coming rule changes regarding the cars will shuffle the cards a bit differently, although I have my doubts.

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 1040
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/28/2016 1:28:12 AM   
Jagdtiger14

While Hamilton won 10 races, objectively you cant really count his last 4 in the same vein as you can his first 6. Obviously Rosberg had a season winning strategy that didn't necessarily involve winning those last 4 races.

Verstappen...very young kid with a lot of talent and spunk, but like Hamilton, I dislike his style and attitude. Maybe he'll grow into maturity, or maybe not and become another Hamilton on and off the track. I hope not.

I do hope however (and this coming from a Mercedes fan), that Ferrari can turn things around with a new season and new rules. I would love to see Vettel/Kimi vie for more championships. And see Red Bull compete with the other two as well.

Congrats to Haas in their inaugural season. 29 points! 8th in constructors. I see them doing a lot better next year with a season under their belt.

Congrats NICO!

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1041
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/28/2016 6:20:54 AM   
warspite1

At least a couple of newspapers are running the story that Lewis may be sacked/suspended because of his failure to obey team orders.

Now this may just be a way of selling newspapers and there is no possibility of that happening - although Wolff is on record as saying "anything is possible".

If this is true, there can only be one reason for it:

Its a neat way of getting rid of the Hamilton/Rosberg 'problem'. With Rosberg as reigning world champion (entitled to carry No.1) there is perhaps less 'need' for Hamilton to be with the team provided they can replace him adequately. As for who would replace him, the Ferrari/Vettel relationship is hardly a love in at the moment. Could McLaren stop Alonso moving over with a sufficient compensation payment made? Money talks and .......

I am afraid Mercedes have made themselves look pretty foolish over this episode and they cannot seem to understand in the ivory tower of the boardroom at Stuttgart that their instruction yesterday was nonsense and turns people away from them. Imagine if in the last three years they had employed two nicey, nicey, after you claude, type drivers. Let's ignore the fact that drivers such as those would actually not be very good (so they would probably have had to take the Ferrari approach with No.1/No.2 drivers). Mercedes may have won a couple more races than they actually have and there would have been no controversy either. But F1 audiences - the reason Mercedes are in the sport to get their brand name out there - would have plummeted even more. Don't they get that?

Mercedes were constructors champion. Whatever happened yesterday, Mercedes were going to provide the drivers champion. This was the finale of the Formula 1 World Championship. This is where viewers around the world are turned on to watch F1 - or turned off at the tedium.

Given Nico's bullet proof engine reliability, there was only one way that Lewis could win the championship. But they wanted Lewis to hand his teammate the title by driving off into the distance, closely followed by Nico.

Apart from the crime of providing the F1 audience around the world with an exciting race, what exactly did Lewis do wrong? Did he break any FIA rule? Did he cheat like Schumacher or Senna or Prost? All of whom drove into drivers in order to try and win the World Championship? Did he hold an expletive ridden press conference that was aired to the public - children included - like Senna in Japan?

No, all he did was to use his driver skills to do something extremely well that many drivers (Rosberg included) have confirmed is actually quite difficult - to be sufficiently slow as to back up your opponent but not lose the first place he himself needed as a 'must have'.

I would fully understand Mercedes actions if the result yesterday affected them i.e. they could lose the constructors or drivers titles. If that were the case then they would perhaps be entitled to issue team orders (after all not doing so has denied many a team the title in the past). But that was not the case. Instead you had a situation where they were artificially telling a driver that they would not allow him to race for the title that, like Nico, he had worked damned hard for. THAT Mercedes, is what I call unsporting behaviour.

I'll leave the last word to Red Bull team boss Christian Horner, who said that if he was in that situation as team boss he would not have interfered:

"With where they were at, it was just down to those guys, so it was only ever going to be that kind of battle between the two of them".

"Congratulations to Nico, he's driven a great season, he's a very worthy world champion but it was naive to think that there would be any different approach with what's at stake."

"He [Lewis] won the race as slowly as he could, it's only like in a football game where a team might protect from the opposition by kicking the ball around and not enabling them to get hold of the ball.

"There's only two drivers competing for the world championship, it was totally obvious that we was going to do that.

"He didn't do anything dirty, he didn't do anything against the rules and it would be unfair to criticise Lewis for the way that he drove."

Source: Autosport.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/28/2016 7:20:15 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1042
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/28/2016 6:30:46 AM   
zakblood

one of the main reasons i don't no longer watch F1 any more, it's less to do about racing, and more about who's Ego is the biggest, and who has always the most money, kind of boring now while it used to be more fun imo, more like a monthly soap, which has put me right off

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1043
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/28/2016 3:06:43 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Congratulations to Nico Rosberg. A deserved Formula 1 World Champion .

Well since he carries a Finnish passport as well, I'll just add: Congrats Nico Rosberg

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1044
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/28/2016 3:14:14 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

Well since he carries a Finnish passport as well, I'll just add: Congrats Nico Rosberg

I don't do much flag waving' myself, but this certainly calls for a little song

Nico Rosberg,Nico Rosberg!
Nico Rosberg, Nico Rosberg!

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 1045
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/28/2016 5:36:52 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

I don't do much flag waving' myself, but this certainly calls for a little song

warspite1

Great song! - but I am struggling to learn the words!

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 1046
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/28/2016 6:44:18 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Great song! - but I am struggling to learn the words!

I know! But when you actually finally have them memorized, they sort of grow on you

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1047
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/29/2016 4:32:16 PM   
Gilmer

Warspite, the other side of that coin was I saw a BBC online article that asked "Does Rosberg deserve the F1 championship?" and went into why he probably didn't deserve it.

The argument is not exactly opposite, but it does show how ludicrous people can be.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 1048
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/29/2016 5:10:17 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Warspite, the other side of that coin was I saw a BBC online article that asked "Does Rosberg deserve the F1 championship?" and went into why he probably didn't deserve it.

The argument is not exactly opposite, but it does show how ludicrous people can be.
warspite1

Maybe there were two articles – there have been so many on the title decider, but the article I read on the BBC was entitled:

“Nico Rosberg is the 2016 Formula 1 world champion, but does he deserve it?”

This came to a different conclusion from the one you mention. There was:

- One “tough call, you could argue about it all night long”
- One “no, he’s not at the top level”
- One “yes, he’s proven his worth”

So having neatly given one of each, they then asked five more people, two ex-World Champions, one current driver and two commentators. ALL FIVE said yes, he deserved the title.

So the “professional” view (at least according to the BBC) is yes. The view of the general public is, as you would expect, more mixed. And yes, people can be ludicrous. These sorts of questions are designed to polarise opinion aren’t they and they simply invite the usual unthinking block-heads to spout their nonsense.

In their minds it’s quite simple; if you support Lewis you must hate Nico (and of course Nico does not deserve the championship), and if you hate Lewis then you support anyone but him (and the joy at Lewis’ failure this year is met with joy unbridled and bile spewed in equal measure). The merits of the debate of course get left behind in the morass of mindless, toxic filth and nonsense that spouts forth from both 'sides'.

It was the same in Nigel Mansell’s day. The number of people that hate Lewis (just as they did Nigel) is breathtaking. I thought it was something peculiar to this country but I always remember Alain Prost saying something similar about the French. Rene Arnoux, not half the driver Prost was, was popular, while the successful Prost was treated like a mad axe murderer in the eyes of the French public.

Nico is most definitely a worthy champ. There have been plenty of champions far less worthy than Nico Rosberg. Yes, we know he is not as good as Lewis, we know he struggles in the wet, we know that he won by 5 points when Lewis was robbed of at least 40 through no fault of his own, but that is not the point. That is not how the championship is determined. The World Championship is a marathon not a sprint.

With a few notable exceptions, Nico did what he had to do all season. He was under the most intense pressure - ridiculous amounts of pressure – knowing that against Lewis there would be no let up. The fact that he didn’t buckle under that pressure – when the easy thing to do would have been to chuck it into the wall – has to be applauded and seen for what it is. Some of his drives were superb – top drawer - and he was very consistent in qualifying to ensure he never had to do things the hard way on Sunday. To lose the lead he did in the middle of the season would have caused a lesser man to crumble – but Nico determinedly got on with his own job and delivered.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/29/2016 6:02:19 PM >

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 1049
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/30/2016 12:37:36 AM   
Gilmer

Good post. The what if games are prevalent in all sports. "What if so and so wasn't injured?" Well, he was and you lost. And guess what, we lost when another so and so was injured. It happens.

You saw the same article I saw. I guess I got wrapped up in how they measured everything. More wins. More this. More that. More breakdowns, obviously not Hamilton's fault.

In Nascar, which I don't watch (much), but there are a lot more wrecks and really good drivers get taken out regularly. It's an attrition game, more than anything else. 40 or so races and you're hoping you're not taken out in the ones where you aren't in front.

The rules are the rules, and you accept them before you go in. So, if you lose by the rules, it makes no sense to argue it. Of course, Hamilton never made these arguments. He understood as well as anyone he didn't win as the rules were stated.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1050
Page:   <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! Page: <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI