Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: To buy or not to buy...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: To buy or not to buy... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: To buy or not to buy... - 12/4/2016 5:19:33 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rommel62

Thanks for your response! Since I didn't see an option for PBEM in the game menu, do you happen to know what option I choose? ( ie head to head, solitaire, internet). Also, what is the file called that is saved and sent to your opponent?

I really want to give this thing a whirl and see how it goes.
warspite1

Use Head to head. The file will be found in the World In Flames folder - Saved Games - Global War. You will need to zip it when you send it.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Rommel62)
Post #: 31
RE: To buy or not to buy... - 12/4/2016 5:51:06 PM   
4personalbusiness

I'm curious why you recommend head-to-head. Lars and I have been using solitaire. What's the benefit?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 32
RE: To buy or not to buy... - 12/4/2016 6:27:19 PM   
Rommel62

Ok, thanks!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 33
RE: To buy or not to buy... - 12/4/2016 6:49:35 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rommel62

Ok, thanks!
warspite1

Sorry - I meant solitaire - why I said Head to Head I have no idea!

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Rommel62)
Post #: 34
RE: To buy or not to buy... - 12/4/2016 6:59:35 PM   
Rommel62

Thanks for the clarification. One more question since I am new to the computer version of this game. Does each turn require many sub phases, as in will each turn require 10 or more email transfers? Also, how are the die rolls handled in an email type game?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 35
RE: To buy or not to buy... - 12/4/2016 7:14:12 PM   
paulderynck

You may as well use Solitaire and trust one another with whatever process you decide on for handling the US Entry and NZ-Pact chits. Essentially for those, it is some form of the "honor system". This is because it is such a simple matter to "cheat" (if you really wanted to) with either Solitaire or Hot Seat; and with Hot Seat you just end up dismissing a bunch of dialog boxes that are supposed to be telling you which player is supposed to sit down in front of the computer next (but about 20% of the time are wrong anyway).

The file you send back and forth is the MWiF game file ("filename.GAM") from your Save or Auto-save directories, but since it is 8 to 10 Megs in size, you should zip it before emailing it. That reduces it to about 1.6 Megs.

Some turns require a LOT of interaction so instant messaging is better than email for that. FREX: "Ground Strike on Lille with 4-factor Stuka - will you intercept with the one Orange 3-factor FTR in range?". Skype works great for this as you can have it on your PC, IPAD and/or phone. Reply and let the other player resolve, rather than emailing back and forth. The other player can always open the game at the last save point and view the tactical situation.

Edit: If you like, you can use an on-line Die Roller (like ACTS) that sends the results to both players. Set MWiF so the user can put in the die rolls and then put in the ones that come back.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 12/4/2016 7:17:43 PM >

Paul

(in reply to Rommel62)
Post #: 36
RE: To buy or not to buy... - 12/4/2016 8:45:48 PM   
4personalbusiness

It also helps if the non-phasing player issues standing orders during air combats so the phasing player can complete without having to ask if your opponent wants to "DX front fighter or bomber" over and over again. if a mistake is made ("I wouldn't have done that, you jackass!"), you have to just chalk it up to fog of war. Playing this way takes a lot of trust in your partner but if things really get sticky, you can always just order up the dreaded mulligan and start the phase over. ACTS works well, but adds a little extra work so it comes down again to comfort level and trust.

Bottom line is my current game with Lars (he's retired and I work from home) started June 6. We are now in MA43 (60% in 5 months) and have exchanged 408 game files. It's a pretty normal Global War scenario with a 41 Barb and American entry in JF42, I believe. We "play" every day. I don't know how that stacks up with other people's MWIF PBEM games but it's been faster than my Cyberboard games, which usually last about 12-15 months. Does this timeframe horrify you?

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 37
RE: To buy or not to buy... - 12/7/2016 3:16:01 AM   
Courtenay

Pick solitaire. Then exchange the game saves.

Go to the scenario directory. Pick the scenario you are playing (Global War, Barbarossa, etc.) There will be a file called "Saved Games". Look in there.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Rommel62)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: To buy or not to buy... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI