Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/4/2016 7:04:02 AM   
warspite1

Well that is a happy coincidence. Having read Lawrence in Arabia, the film Lawrence of Arabia is on Sky today. Hussah! Haven't seen that in donkeys years so will have to give that a go.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2221
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/4/2016 8:21:37 AM   
AndyG1

I love that film - got it on special edition DVD when I used to live in UK - just awesome acting and directing.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2222
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/6/2016 12:42:01 AM   
AbwehrX

Battlefield S1/E3 - The Battle of Midway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w30FkSXyTE

(in reply to AndyG1)
Post #: 2223
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/6/2016 5:54:38 AM   
slpatgun

"The Last Waltz"

(in reply to AbwehrX)
Post #: 2224
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/12/2016 4:29:18 PM   
warspite1

SPOILER ALERT

Okay, okay. So I stuck with Westworld for all 10 episodes.

Now, can someone please tell me what in the name of Bonaparte's balls was that all about?

I mean the last episode was great an' all, but what the hell did it all mean?

Just a few of the questions going round in my head:

- Who is Wyatt?
- Over how many years did all this happen? William seems to have aged about 30-40 years but Ford hasn't changed (apart from that little snippet when he was walking between rooms).
- Is Ford dead?
- Hell, is Arnold really dead?
- Have the hosts turned on the humans or are we just watching one big new narrative?

Confused of London

(in reply to slpatgun)
Post #: 2225
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/20/2016 7:19:40 AM   
warspite1

...either no one watching or they're not saying.....

anyways.....

With all the talk about Dunkirk the movie, over the weekend I watched two ball bouncingly brilliant films:

- Battle of Britain
- The Great Escape

The former I watch circa once a year and is simply one of the best war films ever made, the latter I hadn't seen since I don't know when. But boy was it good to see it again. A brilliantly scripted and acted film. 11/10

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2226
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/20/2016 2:03:07 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

anyways.....

With all the talk about Dunkirk the movie, over the weekend I watched two ball bouncingly brilliant films:

- Battle of Britain
- The Great Escape

The former I watch circa once a year and is simply one of the best war films ever made, the latter I hadn't seen since I don't know when. But boy was it good to see it again. A brilliantly scripted and acted film. 11/10

So. You disagree with Mr. Ebert's well constructed critique of the former?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2227
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/20/2016 5:39:55 PM   
Orm

Just finished watching the first season of The Expanse. I was hesitant after the first couple of episodes but it grow on me. Now I eagerly await the next season. A gritty, dark, SF for adults, is just what was needed for the long December evenings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(TV_series)

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2228
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/20/2016 6:54:19 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Just finished watching the first season of The Expanse. I was hesitant after the first couple of episodes but it grow on me. Now I eagerly await the next season. A gritty, dark, SF for adults, is just what was needed for the long December evenings.

My wife grew up in New Mexico, where she befriended Daniel Abraham from an early age. They still regularly keep in touch.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2229
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/20/2016 7:09:03 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

My wife grew up in New Mexico, where she befriended Daniel Abraham from an early age. They still regularly keep in touch.

I am thinking that I should buy one of his books to read during the Holiday.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2230
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/20/2016 7:17:52 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

anyways.....

- Battle of Britain
- The Great Escape

So. You disagree with Mr. Ebert's well constructed critique of the former?
warspite1

Not at all - I am actually coming round to his way of thinking. I like the methodology he uses to rate films and centres on what is important.

Using his tried and trusted genius I have now reviewed The Godfather.

I conclude the Godfather as a film is a stinking pile of doggy doo. Notice in one scene the director Francis Ford "Captain Bleedin' Obvious" Coppola uses a tool that went out of fashion with those rubbish phony war films of the 1940's. Yes, Ford actually directs a scene in the film where Mikkey (Al Pacino) stares moodily out into space, while Kay (Diane Keaton) looks pensive on the seat behind.

Re - freaking - diculous. Hopefully the Oscars won by this bilge will be returned.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2231
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/20/2016 7:56:51 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am thinking that I should buy one of his books to read during the Holiday.

The Expanse season 1 and 2 is based off of the first book in the series: Leviathan Wakes by "James S. A. Corey" (a nom de plume). Don't read it if you don't want spoilers for the (upcoming in February) second season, Orm.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2232
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/20/2016 8:01:17 PM   
Orm

Thank you for the warning.

Although now I am a bit torn. I usually think it is better to read the book before watching the film or series than the other way around. But with this series I am not that sure.

Edit: Nice that second season arrives as soon as February.

< Message edited by Orm -- 12/20/2016 8:02:24 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2233
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/20/2016 8:57:45 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Thank you for the warning.

Although now I am a bit torn. I usually think it is better to read the book before watching the film or series than the other way around. But with this series I am not that sure.

Edit: Nice that second season arrives as soon as February.

I'll tease you further. The book was a nominee for the 2012 Hugo award (Sci Fi's best book of the year), so you'll want to read it eventually. Do you want to wait for 6 months?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2234
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/21/2016 1:52:39 PM   
wodin

After the bitter disappointment with last years Star Wars film I quite enjoyed Rogue One.

Also enjoyed Deepwater Horizon aswell. tragic

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2235
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/21/2016 2:04:17 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin
After the bitter disappointment with last years Star Wars film I quite enjoyed Rogue One.

Did you see the extended Dunkirk trailer before Rogue One? It has been shown that way here stateside.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2236
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/24/2016 5:58:47 PM   
warspite1

Just seen Paddington with the little warspites. Wow! What a stonkingly good film! I expected it to be sweet, but it was also laugh out loud funny.

9.5/10 Superb

P.S And Nicole Kidman's still got it too.....

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2237
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/24/2016 6:36:06 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Just seen Paddington with the little warspites. Wow! What a stonkingly good film! I expected it to be sweet, but it was also laugh out loud funny.

9.5/10 Superb

Surprised you didn't see it in the theatres a couple years ago. We enjoyed it as well.

Any particularly good Nicole Kidman pix that should be posted on the Australian Beauties thread?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2238
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/25/2016 5:19:38 PM   
MakeeLearn

WWI The Complete Series Documentary.

A 10 part series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzf9aHZmCAM

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2239
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/25/2016 5:50:32 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

9.5/10 Superb

Surprised you didn't see it in the theatres a couple years ago. We enjoyed it as well.

warspite1

Not sure why we didn't see it at the time, but its an immediate DVD purchase. Loved the Hunting Piano line

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2240
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/25/2016 5:52:15 PM   
warspite1

Just watched the Christmas Day Doctor Who. Simply brilliant - the best Christmas special yet

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2241
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/25/2016 6:24:39 PM   
shunwick

quote:

Just watched the Christmas Day Doctor Who. Simply brilliant - the best Christmas special yet

Certainly agree with that. A new series in the Spring as well.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2242
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/26/2016 6:35:59 PM   
Orm

I just watched Airplane! for the first time.

I suspect that I missed out on many of the jokes. Partly, I suspect, because of cultural differences. And perhaps because I haven't seen the movies they refer to in some of the gags. But even then it is a good movie.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2243
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/26/2016 6:40:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

I suspect that I missed out on many of the jokes. Partly, I suspect, because of cultural differences. And perhaps because I haven't seen the movies they refer to in some of the gags. But even then it is a good movie.
warspite1

Surely you cannot be serious?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2244
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/26/2016 6:41:48 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I am afraid so. Been planning to watch it since you guys posted some jokes referencing to it.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2245
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/26/2016 6:51:15 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I am afraid so. Been planning to watch it since you guys posted some jokes referencing to it.
warspite1

No - that was your queue to:

Yes, and don't call me Shirley

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2246
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/27/2016 6:48:58 AM   
nicwb

"Scotland's war at Sea" - a short account of Scapa Flow during WW1.

A bit too short but some interesting bits and pieces I wasn't aware of.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2247
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/27/2016 6:59:12 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicwb

"Scotland's war at Sea" - a short account of Scapa Flow during WW1.

A bit too short but some interesting bits and pieces I wasn't aware of.
warspite1

Where was this showing please? What bits of interest did you learn?

Thanks.

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 2248
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/27/2016 7:46:46 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

No - that was your queue to:

Yes, and don't call me Shirley

And that was one of the jokes I didn't get.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2249
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/27/2016 10:52:37 AM   
terje439

quote:

Just watched it, and cannot agree. Superman has nothing to do with XMas. Prefer some of the older ones with a take on A Christmas Carol etc.

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2250
Page:   <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI