Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SP3: Moderna??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> SP3: Moderna?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SP3: Moderna?? - 10/31/2002 2:01:29 PM   
DavidW75

Anybody out there know where to find sp3:moderna. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

David
Post #: 1
- 10/31/2002 2:09:07 PM   
Ross Moorhouse

I think its at [URL=www.wargamer.com]www.wargamer.com[/URL]

{EDIT} Sorry its not there.. But this is [URL=http://www.wargamer.com/archive/targeted.asp?GameName=Steel Panthers: Main Battle Tank]http://www.wargamer.com/archive/targeted.asp?GameName=Steel Panthers: Main Battle Tank[/URL]

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 2
- 10/31/2002 11:59:14 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I hope I am not intruding guys.

SP3 Moderna? I guess that would be the updated Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Combat (Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Combat was the original version released) I don't possess Moderna myself though.

Steel Panthers MBT (often just called SPMBT) that is available over at Wargamer (I have SPMBT by the way), is the updated version of Steel Panthers 2 Modern Battles (which I also own).

SPMBT as well as the original version Steel Panthers 2 Modern battles, was the same scale of action as the very first Steel Panthers ie just plain Steel Panthers no version or modification. SPMBT (as well as the original) differs in that it is post WW2 while the original was only WW2.

Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Combat though was an echelon up ie it is Platoon level not individual vehicle level. Moderna therfore is a modified Platoon level game I am thinking.

It is interesting of course, that Matrix used the Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Combat software, to produce Steel Panthers World at War which is the same scale of action of the first game (and not Platoon level).

As such, the SPMBT scenarios I suspect will not do a person looking for Moderna material any good (I would assume).

I hope this has been helpful.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 3
- 11/1/2002 4:12:30 AM   
Ross Moorhouse

Yes I think Moderna may have been canned and MBT was done instead.

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 4
- 11/1/2002 11:46:26 AM   
troopie

MBT is a SPCamo op. SP:MW was a Matrix op, aborted for various reasons. Ilha Varhja was to have headed up SPMW, he who ran the SP3 Moderna op. Ilha seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth. He hasn't been heard from for months.

troopie

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 5
- 11/2/2002 1:38:36 AM   
DavidW75

Oh well, I knew I shouldn't have deleted it off the hard drive. :mad:

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 6
- 11/4/2002 2:50:31 PM   
Marek Tucan

I have SP3:Moderna at home...With my, personally modified KOBs...And now it really seems that its homepage disappeared...But it is a bit more enjoying than the original SP3, there are interesting icons:) (SA-11, TOS-1, Smerch, Bv-206 and so on...)

Tip: Get some KOB editor and downgrade movements to 1/2 - it gives (on my opinion) more realistic look... Note that weapon ranges are 1/4 compared with the SP2, but the speed remained the same, so that you can flee from the range of light arty (some) in on turn:)
And try to engage some on-board aircrafts - I have duplicated the A-10 and Su-25 as an attack heloes to act more as a direct support - sometimes it is interesting with 30mm Avenger GG and T-55s:)

Oops... Ihave to leave and go for another lesson of Maths... Bye!

Tuccy

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 7
- 11/6/2002 12:14:50 AM   
DavidW75

How big is the Moderna file. It's too big for email isn't it?

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 8
- 11/6/2002 3:46:41 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Just to insert a comment here, it is entirely likely to big for email.

A good suggestion is to get yourself one of many chat programs that allow file transfer options.

I am sure that you can arrange to get one of the many free chat programs that both can use.

There is AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, as well as others I suspect.

Then there is peer to peer programs as well. I like using Direct Connect myself.

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 9
- 11/6/2002 11:46:01 AM   
Karnaaj

Hmmm. If Moderna is distributable, it might be worthwhile for it to be tossed to one of the FTP sites, so everybody can grab from there. I dunno offhand what sites are open to user-uploads, tho. Sunsite, mebbe? One of the mirrors for SPWAW?

I'm just greedy, I guess.

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 10
- 11/7/2002 5:53:30 PM   
Marek Tucan

Each zip file for Moderna measures about 1-2Megabytes, there are files with exe and kobs, shps, scens, pics and I think there was another one... I have only basics - exe+kob, shp and scen/campaign files. And my mailing programme gets stuck with larger files added to messages...:(

Tuccy

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 11
Looking for Moderna as well - 4/26/2003 2:04:36 AM   
Matt

I may be a bit of a fossil for asking, I am looking for the Moderna patch to SP3.

Does someone still have the files, and be willing to share them? My last computer had them, but it crashed and I am unable to recover anything.

I know that the files may be too large to send through email, but if there is an available ftp site that we may be able to use, it would be great to share this great addition to SP.

Heck, I'll be glad if anyone responds to this post!

IYACYAS

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 12
- 4/26/2003 3:07:29 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmm this thread has been collecting dust a while now hasn't it.

Last I had heard, Moderna was kinda a dead end issue.

As it goes, it is possible those needing a modern fix in their Steel Panthers enjoyment, really need to look into SPMBT over here.

http://linetap.com/www/drg/SPCamo.htm

I am very obviously a pro SPWaW player, but the modern player will likely be pleased playing SPMBT.

For Windows based issues, this link should cover all the bases.

http://linetap.com/www/drg/SPCamo-SPinXP.htm

Currently I am informed that the DOS versions can run in XP if you have the proper conditions met.

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 13
- 4/26/2003 5:13:44 AM   
Matt

Les, thanks for responding,

My old computer also had SPMBT as well. I am unable to play on my current computer (Windows 2000), but I have a new on the way that will allow me to play.

I just had a few ideas, as was hoping someone out there still had the Moderna patch tucked away on their hard drive and was willing to share it.

The difference in scale is what I like about SP3 and it allows me to do different things. In this case, I am trying to replicate what the US Army is doing with its new transformational "Stryker" Brigades, and Moderna gave a significant upgrade in capability towards that end.

Simulating these new units has been an interest of mine, and I wanted to compare a couple of simulations. I have already tried TACOPs, but I have to build my own scenarios in order to do it. Between that and the lack of depth in terrain simulation in TACOPs, I am not satisfied with it.

If anyone has better ideas or know of another good system or download available, I am all ears.

Thanks,

Matt

IYACYAS

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 14
- 4/26/2003 6:37:04 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

As the saying goes, more than one way to skin a cat.

Have you ever taken People's General for a spin?

Yes to be sure it most certainly isn't part of the Steel Panthers family.
But I give it a definite 2 thumbs up for how well it likes to run in Win XP. That and when you consider the wealth of options available with the right fan sites, like this one.

http://pub131.ezboard.com/bjpspanzers

And you can even get the program as a free download (you can make your own mind up about whether that bothers you, it's not my site or my responsibility).

They have a lot of modifications in there.

Lastly do you have a copy of Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Combat?

Currently it is the only one not yet represented as a free download it appears. But it is still on the retail scene in its original retail format here.

http://www.cdaccess.com/html/pc/steelp3.htm

I have not had the pleasure of playing the Moderna software myself, missed the boat when it was around.

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 15
- 4/28/2003 5:00:02 AM   
Randy

Speaking of SPMBT (which I find is prettty good for modern stuff-you can do air moble mech stuff w/ choppers), does anyone know when they will have version 2.0 ? Thanks

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> SP3: Moderna?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread