Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/8/2016 8:43:29 PM   
Zap

Another snafu. Loaded the game but it tells me my graphics card(I guess) is incompatible? Can't play it. Can't even get steam to work today is there a problem?

< Message edited by Zap -- 11/8/2016 8:46:54 PM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 151
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/8/2016 9:06:33 PM   
Qwixt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Another snafu. Loaded the game but it tells me my graphics card(I guess) is incompatible? Can't play it. Can't even get steam to work today is there a problem?

What video card do you own? You need a directx 11 card for Civ 6.

< Message edited by Qwixt -- 11/8/2016 9:07:27 PM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 152
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/8/2016 10:29:36 PM   
Zap

I have a laptop with an intel chipset. don't know what video card they put in it. That is Lenovo. Its about 6yrs old(the computer.

< Message edited by Zap -- 11/8/2016 10:40:28 PM >

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 153
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/8/2016 10:41:01 PM   
Gilmer

quote:

I have a laptop with an intel chipset. don't know what video card they put in it

You really need to be more conversant on what card you own. It is possible you have integrated graphics which is not very good for any newer games. It can run an Ageod game and other older games, but these newer games in many cases require a dedicated graphics card.

6 years old means it is doubtful it has a video card capable of Direct X 11.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 154
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/8/2016 10:45:32 PM   
Zap

I wish I could help more. When I check for a graphics card the info I get from intel is Lenovo put in a generic card. So I believe its integrated. For a laptop a new card, how much will it set me back? I know they are more expensive.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 155
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/9/2016 7:20:45 AM   
Aurelian

The first question is..... can you even upgrade the laptop?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/148909/maxlap.html#slide1

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/laptop/how-add-graphics-card-your-laptop-3364133/

Try this maybe? http://www.gameskinny.com/ub96o/fixing-common-civilization-6-loading-screen-bugs-and-errors

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 11/9/2016 10:14:14 AM >

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 156
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/9/2016 10:52:28 AM   
wings7

quote:

I wish I could help more. When I check for a graphics card the info I get from intel is Lenovo put in a generic card. So I believe its integrated. For a laptop a new card, how much will it set me back? I know they are more expensive.

You might consider a new desktop computer...these guys are good and they do laptops too!
https://www.pugetsystems.com/

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 157
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/9/2016 11:30:40 AM   
Zap

Those links were all very helpful. Thank you. I vaguely remember that I once tried to I stall DirectX 11 and was unable. So I assume this computer is limited.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 158
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/9/2016 11:32:19 AM   
Zap

Thanks for that link. Will investigate what they offer.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 159
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/9/2016 12:15:03 PM   
Rising-Sun

There are plenty of good deals on the graphic cards at newegg dot com. You should look for that will support up to DirectX 12 too, least you wouldn't have to get another one in ten or twenty years.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 160
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/9/2016 12:49:45 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

quote:

You might consider a new desktop computer...these guys are good and they do laptops too!

After checking those prices, I say "So glad I build my own."

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 161
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/9/2016 3:11:11 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Compromise: ask around your relatives & friends do they have extra desktop computer lying around which doesn't see much (if any) use. If you get negative, then next step would be computer hardware stores that deal with used computers and Internet auction sites like eBay and the likes. Find few years old desktop machine, pay little money for it, and ask closest IT guru (your relative or friend) to get it up to speed with minimum cost. Best to show him specs first before you pay for it. With luck, you can get little used desktop tower for $100 which only needs swap of processor, graphic adapter, and increase of memory. If you're not lucky, you also need to change mother board and power supply. For monitor, keyboard, and rest repeat these steps.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 162
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/9/2016 3:29:19 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

Compromise: ask around your relatives & friends do they have extra desktop computer lying around which doesn't see much (if any) use. If you get negative, then next step would be computer hardware stores that deal with used computers and Internet auction sites like eBay and the likes. Find few years old desktop machine, pay little money for it, and ask closest IT guru (your relative or friend) to get it up to speed with minimum cost. Best to show him specs first before you pay for it. With luck, you can get little used desktop tower for $100 which only needs swap of processor, graphic adapter, and increase of memory. If you're not lucky, you also need to change mother board and power supply. For monitor, keyboard, and rest repeat these steps.

That's one way.

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 11/9/2016 3:32:38 PM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 163
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/9/2016 3:53:50 PM   
wings7

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes that does make sense, as long as you know what you are doing and have the patience (I don't). Puget Systems put together great systems and rigs with quality components...you get what you pay for!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 164
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/9/2016 4:09:36 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes that does make sense, as long as you know what you are doing and have the patience (I don't). Puget Systems put together great systems and rigs with quality components...you get what you pay for!

Ahhh, but to play Civ 6, all I had to do was get a new video card, plug it into the slot, plug in one wire, and let the computer do its thing.

Which at $260.00 was far cheaper than a system from those guys to do the same thing :)

But, as it should be, to each their own.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 165
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/9/2016 5:08:54 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Yeah, installing a graphics card doesn't take rocket science. They send you the driver cd, so it's basically remove old driver, install new one, remove old graphics card, plug in the new card, turn on computer and the computer does all the rest. Unless you want to optimize it for all games.

What many people forget to do is remove the old drivers which can conflict with the new one sometimes. What others forget to do is optimize their memory or don't know how. Which is easy also.

I even go into services and stop a lot of useless ones that just take up memory. I don't need to know if my internet is connected. When I click on the browser and it comes up I know it's working. I immediately turn off anything related to remote access as well and the ability to see my wifi connection from outside sources. So many things people don't know about or how to tweak. Microsoft sets up your computer to be a little snitch. You have to go inside things they don't tell you about to turn them off.

You ever wonder why svchost takes up so much memory? Thas why. Because all these other little services are running and the more of them you turn off the less memory svchost uses. Thus giving you more gaming power. Now, some of them have to run but by trial and error you can find out which ones and just enable them again if you disabled them before. It won't blow up your computer to disable any of them just certain things won't run. Anything to do with enhancement to something can usually be turned off. Anything of a remote access ability can surely be turned off unless you want someone to be able to remote access your computer (like hackers) Most everything to do with network connections can be turned off except "network connection" fancy that you need a service to connect to the internet.

Before doing anything like that above it's always a good idea to do a restore point. Then you can muck with stuff forever and if something goes wrong you have that restore point to bring everything back like it was before you started mucking.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 166
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/9/2016 6:28:50 PM   
Aurelian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6qiVKv_g1s

Civilization VI (Civ 6) ►ROME - Part 1 - Exploration Is King!◀ Let's Play

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 167
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/9/2016 8:24:46 PM   
wings7

quote:

Good gameplay from Skye Storme...thanks for the link!

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 168
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/9/2016 9:28:37 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

quote:

Good gameplay from Skye Storme...thanks for the link!

You're welcome.

I've read that Rome is a good civ to start with, so.....

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 169
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/15/2016 2:39:07 PM   
Kuokkanen

Extremely important question here: does game include PBEM?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 170
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/15/2016 4:09:35 PM   
wings7

quote:

I have not seen anything on PBEM...anyone else?

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 171
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/15/2016 6:12:22 PM   
Greybriar

quote:

I couldn't find anything about PBEM on the official Civilization VI website or the 2K Support database. But I did find a YouTube video entitled PBEM 6 Turn 199 (12 Player Free For All: Japan) Gameplay/Commentary.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 172
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/15/2016 6:54:21 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

But I did find a YouTube video entitled PBEM 6 Turn 199 (12 Player Free For All: Japan) Gameplay/Commentary.

That's Civ5. It's got some unofficial fan made(?) program for the purpose.

MekWars

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 173
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/16/2016 2:48:24 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

quote:

I have not seen anything on PBEM...anyone else?

Not me. Apparently it's an "everyone is to online at the same time"

http://www.pcgamer.com/civilization-6-everything-you-need-to-know/

Multiplayer won't take all day

"That's been the bane of Civilization multiplayer's existence for quite a while – the sessions can be so long," says Beach. To combat this, Firaxis has implemented not just a quicker multiplayer game speed, but also a specific scenarios and unique victory sets designed for a shorter game. "You can have a meaningful [multiplayer] session with a very clear goal, and we're trying to set it up so it's a one or two hour session."

For example, a campaign that starts at the beginning of the middle ages, and runs until the end of the Renaissance. From there, a specific victory condition is added – for instance, the player with the strongest religion wins. "We have a system where we can roll conditions like that, and each of those can be a multiplayer scenario that we can present to players. We can quickly develop a whole bunch of those and offer them." Such scenarios won't be exclusive to multiplayer, either. They'll also be available in solo campaigns.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 174
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/16/2016 8:38:18 AM   
Rising-Sun

Well I cant rename my cities and few other issues, so I put this back on the shelf until it is patch. Feel funny when I play Japan, Tokyo was born in the middle of no where inland. They need to setup something when the game begins, for example: Japan starts near the coast, Egypt starts near flood plains and rivers, etc.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 175
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/16/2016 2:20:26 PM   
Greybriar

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

But I did find a YouTube video entitled PBEM 6 Turn 199 (12 Player Free For All: Japan) Gameplay/Commentary.

That's Civ5. It's got some unofficial fan made(?) program for the purpose.

Oops! Sorry about that.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 176
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/16/2016 6:10:57 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Well I cant rename my cities and few other issues, so I put this back on the shelf until it is patch. Feel funny when I play Japan, Tokyo was born in the middle of no where inland. They need to setup something when the game begins, for example: Japan starts near the coast, Egypt starts near flood plains and rivers, etc.

Where they get placed is random. There are map mods which put them in historical locations, more or less.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 177
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/16/2016 7:01:00 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Where they get placed is random. There are map mods which put them in historical locations, more or less.

I did played the Earth map mod, it was really impressive, only the cities need to be name in the proper locations. Random didn't cut it though, just didn't feel right.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 178
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 11/20/2016 4:42:14 PM   
Kuokkanen

From another forum:
quote:

it doesn't have PBEM anymore we are using hotseat and it's really easy and improved over civ5.

MekWars

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 179
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 12/21/2016 11:46:56 AM   
wings7

A new update...
http://steamcommunity.com/games/289070/announcements/detail/599374259662898714
A new "Poland Civilization & Scenario Pack"...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/512033/
A new "Vikings Scenario Pack" (very negatively received)...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/512032/

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI