Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about Generals

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Question about Generals Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about Generals - 1/2/2017 6:00:22 PM   
100thMonkey

Hi everybody, this is my first post. 

I've been playing DWU for a while (but not as much as I would like, because of time constraints).

To sum up my impression of the game, I'll paraphrase Dickens:
"It is the best of games, it is the worst of games!".

There are many things that I LOVE about DW. Among those:
- The immensity of the universe (even with small galaxies), and that the said universe is teeming with activity that dont depend on you (the private economy).
- The fact that there are no predetermined routes between systems (contrary to many other space games), which make offense much more interesting, and defense much more challenging (as Martha would say: "a good thing"!).
- That many things can be automated or controlled manually
- The flexibility of the design module, which combined with the wast arrays of components if the tech trees, allow you to come up with designs very different from the default designs, in efficiency and even in function.
- And many many more things.

But there are also many things that I HATE about the game... or at least, that are IMMENSELY frustrating to me. For instance:
- The interface. Not that it's not gorgeous (it isn't), but that it is inconsitent in many ways, that it often makes you jump through hoops to do what you want to do, and that information that should be available in-game isn't. From what I read, it is vastly improved compared to what it was in the initial DW release, but in my opinion, there's still a LOT of room for improvements. To avoid making this post ginormous, I won't elaborate here on all of those points, but I'll give one exemple of the interface inconsitencies (among so many): if you use more than one non-obsolete design for a specific subrole, and you want to retrofit a ship to one of those design, the Design and Ships screen allows you, when you press on the retrofit button, to chose the design to retrofit to; but if you do it from the selection panel, the retrofit button doesn't offer you a choice).
- The messaging system. There are many problems with it, but the main one is that sometimes popups display one after another so quickly that you don't have the time to read them (each new one makes the preceeding one disappear). It becomes so easy to miss important messages, especially in the middle of a war.
- So much information about the game is missing from the documentation and the Galactopedia. And it's hard to know which of the infos that are there you can trust, since some of it is out of date (both in the doc and in the Galactopedia).

Which brings me to today's question: when and to what does the effects of Generals applies to? For instance, if a general makes troops stronger, is it that the troops recruited on the planet where he is are going to be stronger? Or are the troops stronger when they fight in the presence of that general? Or both? And does that General has any effect on the troops while on a troop carrier (making the troops stronger in some ways by its mere presence... like by boosting their morale or something along those lines)?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Post #: 1
RE: Question about Generals - 1/2/2017 6:11:13 PM   
Shark7

Depending on the skills and traits, the generals will have any number of effects on the troops they are on planet with.

All the combat related effects will not be seen until battle takes place. At that point you will see an effect during the battle that says Generals: X%. That X% is exactly how much of an increase in HPs and firepower the troops will see. Also note that generals with specific skills (IE armor assault strength, defensive strength, etc) will affect troops even more if the specific troop type is present (IE a general is in charge of an invasion with attack strength 10 and Armor assault Strength 5 will have a 10% increase on infantry units, but boost armor units by 15% etc.)

The other types of skills and traits are logistical in nature. Good recruiter will cause troops at the planet where the general is to recruit and grow to full strength faster. The good ground logistics trait will reduce the cost of troops, etc. These are passive skills that apply outside battle, and only to the planet where the general is located.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to 100thMonkey)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about Generals - 1/2/2017 6:37:48 PM   
100thMonkey

Thanks Shark7 for the info.

Can I ask how you know this? I'm not asking because of skepticism or anything like that, rather because I wonder if it is information that was available in some place where I could have found it (other than in your head! ''), without having to spend hours and hours doing tests to find out.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about Generals - 1/4/2017 7:25:02 AM   
Shark7

In my case, it comes from lots and lots of playtime. I've been with the game since the original DW was published.

Now it might be covered in the manual .pdf file that comes with the game, but I haven't read it cover to cover. I do know that the modding guide covers exactly what each of the traits affects, and having modded the game myself, I spent quite a bit of time reading up on that. The character skills are not defined in the manual, but they are also fairly self-explanatory.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 4
RE: Question about Generals - 1/8/2017 1:14:03 AM   
100thMonkey

Thanks for the tip about the modding guide (for the traits).

One question that I still have though: the manual says to assign generals to a fleet or a planet. But in your previous answer, the only situations you mention where generals have effects are on planets (either a planet where fighting occurs or have occured, or a planet where troops are recruited).

As far as you know, are there any traits or skills that results in generals having effects while on ships (troop carriers)? And if so, which ones? "Troop Maintenance Savings" maybe? Or "Troop Recovery Rate"? Or is it an error in the manual? Or, maybe, that what is meant in the manual is something along the lines of "assign generals to fleets to bring them to combat where their skills and traits will take effects"?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 5
RE: Question about Generals - 1/9/2017 11:41:02 PM   
Twigster

quote:

As far as you know, are there any traits or skills that results in generals having effects while on ships (troop carriers)?

Nope. But very much so after they all are deployed onto an enemy planet.

< Message edited by Twigster -- 1/9/2017 11:42:09 PM >

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Question about Generals Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI