Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need quick advice now before sale end

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Need quick advice now before sale end Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need quick advice now before sale end - 1/6/2017 10:42:26 PM   
Zenith

Need advice on a new strategy game before sales end.

I would like a strategy game that isn't too complicated and must be WW2 and I only play single player so a decent AI would be good.

I was looking at a few and quite fancied Heroes of Stalingrad or Tigers on the Hunt any thoughts on these two.

Any other great tactical type war game suitable for a single player please mention.

Cheers
Post #: 1
RE: Need quick advice now before sale end - 1/6/2017 11:23:15 PM   
Rosseau

Those games are good, but Campaign Series Middle East is great - but not WW2. Maybe John Tillers Campaign Series collection?

(in reply to Zenith)
Post #: 2
RE: Need quick advice now before sale end - 1/6/2017 11:56:08 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zenith

Need advice on a new strategy game before sales end.

I would like a strategy game that isn't too complicated and must be WW2 and I only play single player so a decent AI would be good.

I was looking at a few and quite fancied Heroes of Stalingrad or Tigers on the Hunt any thoughts on these two.

Any other great tactical type war game suitable for a single player please mention.

Cheers

Panzer Command: Osfront (tactical and an excellent AI).

(in reply to Zenith)
Post #: 3
RE: Need quick advice now before sale end - 1/6/2017 11:59:08 PM   
bobarossa

So strategy or tactical, they're different. For Strategy I would recommend Strategic Command 3. However, your example games make me think you mean Tactical.

My understanding of John Tiller games is that they're meant for multiplayer. The AI is good for learning the rules. Tigers on the Hunt is based on/resembles Advanced Squad Leader which is anything but simple.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 4
RE: Need quick advice now before sale end - 1/7/2017 12:11:54 AM   
Franciscus

If you are looking for a good, cheap (6,99 euros), not too complicated but detailed tactical-high level game (units range from divisions to brigades), I would check Germany at War - Barbarossa 1941; it is still supported, AI seems good, with many scenarios of all the eastern front.
Panzer Corps or Order of Battle games might also interest you.

Tigers on the Hunt is a great squad-level tactical game with loads of scenarios but with a clunky interface and complex rules.

For an operational level game I would recommend wholeheartedly DC: Barbarossa. One of the best games ever with an excellent AI.

Regards

< Message edited by Franciscus -- 1/7/2017 12:12:42 AM >

Former AJE team member

(in reply to bobarossa)
Post #: 5
RE: Need quick advice now before sale end - 1/7/2017 3:41:41 AM   
Zenith

Is DC Barbarossa east to learn / understand because I did buy GG WitE a while ago and I am struggling a bit with that as the manual doesn't explain game concepts very well mayby I need to try harder. I ask because the store lists DC Barbarossa as advanced I am not stupid but I do need good exmaples explaining concepts

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 6
RE: Need quick advice now before sale end - 1/7/2017 4:57:36 AM   
Franciscus

Hi again
DC: Barbarossa is not a beer-and-pretzels game but it's much easier to get into than WITW or WITE, in my opinion. It is an easy game to start to play right after installation, although mastering it is not immediate. But the complexity is much less than WITW or WITE
The air war is abstracted via a card system, but on the other hand the innovative concepts of relations among characters (which can be turned off) and the logistics game can be at times hard to master. Some aspects of the engine can sometimes be frustrating (you can not undo your moves, for instance), but one quickly adapts to it, and in fact is not really a limitation but a designer's choice.
But the unit count is perfect IMHO and there is no micromanagement comparable to WITE, for example.
You only play the whole Barbarossa (until Feb 1942) although the replayability level IMHO is great. And the soviet game is very different from the german one.
The AI player is very much competent and in "normal" or higher levels can in fact "outsmart" you.
Finaly the manual is big, but very well written and much better IMHO than WITW or WITE manuals
There is no tutorial scenario, though.

I am a big fan of this game.

Regards

< Message edited by Franciscus -- 1/7/2017 8:36:44 PM >

Former AJE team member

(in reply to Zenith)
Post #: 7
RE: Need quick advice now before sale end - 1/7/2017 4:50:34 PM   
wodin

TO be honest tactical scale is were I struggle to recommend from Slitherine\Matrix stable..hopefully Steel Tigers will be the one.

For me all the tactical games here have something, some mechanic, I really don't like sadly..

The game I never have any trouble recommending from the games here is Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa..not tactical but has all the immersion of a tactical game.

If you come from ASL then TotH will be worth checking out

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 8
RE: Need quick advice now before sale end - 1/7/2017 8:30:32 PM   
Zenith

Thanks for the input guys and for the pm Wodin, I have decided to purchase DC Barbarossa ( with the hardback manual of course ) and I think I will get Tigers on the Hunt also.

However I'll probably be posting lots of requests for help and advice on both of these games on the weeks to come so keep a look out.

Cheers folks, thanks for all the input

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 9
RE: Need quick advice now before sale end - 1/7/2017 9:03:29 PM   
wodin

Excellent choice!

(in reply to Zenith)
Post #: 10
RE: Need quick advice now before sale end - 1/7/2017 9:07:48 PM   
Franciscus

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Excellent choice!

+ 1

Former AJE team member

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 11
RE: Need quick advice now before sale end - 1/7/2017 9:17:55 PM   
Blond_Knight

Wodin, the review on your blog of PB Kursk finally got me to buy both PB games, they are really well done!

(in reply to Zenith)
Post #: 12
RE: Need quick advice now before sale end - 1/7/2017 9:33:53 PM   
Zap

I took your advice Franciscus and purchased Barbarossa 41. I pay 7.00 for a meal at Burger King, the price of this game.

< Message edited by Zap -- 1/7/2017 9:41:16 PM >

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Need quick advice now before sale end Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI