Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/27/2016 11:18:30 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Just watched the Christmas Day Doctor Who. Simply brilliant - the best Christmas special yet

Just watched it, and cannot agree. Superman has nothing to do with XMas. Prefer some of the older ones with a take on A Christmas Carol etc.
warspite1

SPOILER ALERT

Fair enough - although this wasn't Superman, it was The Ghost . I agree it wasn't really about Christmas per se, although of course the opening sequence was set at Christmas because the little boy thinks the Doctor is Santa Claus, but it was a real feel good story - perfect for Christmas time.

It was humorous - the scene where the boy said he had to ask his mum if the Doctor could come in, even as he was about to fall to his death was funny - as was the scene where Lucy says that Grant has never lied to her - and he puts the mask back on , and the love story running through the episode was cute - as was Lucy

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 12/27/2016 11:49:05 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2251
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/27/2016 10:02:13 PM   
nicwb

quote:

Hi Warspite,

thought that might pique your interest. I saw it on a local cable channel -National Geographic. However it is a BBC (2015) production of two episodes - on BBC2. However the title was slightly different "War at sea;Scotland's story) Having a quick poke about I found at least one full episode on youtube.

AS for what I learnt - well immediately after the scuttling of the fleet at Scapa Flow there were incidents where German sailors were shot during confrontations with British sailors. And after the US joined the war, they proposed and put into action a plan to bottle up U-Boats by string a serious of gigantic minefields from Norway to Scotland. It was done at enormous cost but only claimed about 4 U-Boats

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2252
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/28/2016 12:08:19 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicwb

quote:

Hi Warspite,

thought that might pique your interest. I saw it on a local cable channel -National Geographic. However it is a BBC (2015) production of two episodes - on BBC2. However the title was slightly different "War at sea;Scotland's story) Having a quick poke about I found at least one full episode on youtube.

AS for what I learnt - well immediately after the scuttling of the fleet at Scapa Flow there were incidents where German sailors were shot during confrontations with British sailors. And after the US joined the war, they proposed and put into action a plan to bottle up U-Boats by string a serious of gigantic minefields from Norway to Scotland. It was done at enormous cost but only claimed about 4 U-Boats
warspite1

Thanks - I will keep an eye out for this.

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 2253
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/28/2016 12:11:00 PM   
warspite1

Mrs w recorded Vienna Empire, Dynasty and Dream before Christmas. It was a three-part series by the historian Simon Sebag Montefiore on BBC Four. Watched all three episodes this morning and very interesting it was too.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2254
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/31/2016 6:05:33 PM   
Orm

Same procedure as every year.

This sketch have been aired every year in Sweden, except one, since 1976.

Dinner for One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1v4BYV-YvA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinner_for_One

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2255
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 12/31/2016 7:32:27 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Same procedure as every year.

This sketch have been aired every year in Sweden, except one, since 1976.

Dinner for One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1v4BYV-YvA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinner_for_One

A true classic Thanks for the link!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2256
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/6/2017 7:20:34 PM   
warspite1

Fortitude is back on Sunday - Hussah Season 1 was a typically quality, polished Sky Atlantic drama production.

And hot on the heels of Dunkirk I hear there is this potentially gem coming later in the year

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4555426/

Gary Oldman , John Hurt , Lily James , Kristin Scott Thomas

If the cast is any guide, this should be gooooooooood

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2257
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 6:14:12 PM   
warspite1

And more WWII based film drama coming this month: Denial

And again a good looking cast here: Rachel Weisz, Tom Wilkinson and Timothy Spall - plus that geezer from Sherlock!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/denial/

Can't wait!

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/14/2017 6:18:13 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2258
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 6:46:01 PM   
Orm

quote:

And again a good looking cast here: Rachel Weisz, Tom Wilkinson and Timothy Spall - plus that geezer from Sherlock!

Can't wait!

Seems interesting.

Although I thought you disliked the previous WWII film that Rachel Weisz was in.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2259
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 6:49:13 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Can't wait!

Seems interesting.

Although I thought you disliked the previous WWII film that Rachel Weisz was in.

warspite1

Which film?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2260
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 6:50:24 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

Can't wait!

Seems interesting.

warspite1

Which film?

Enemy at the Gates.

Edit: I liked it though.

< Message edited by Orm -- 1/14/2017 6:51:27 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2261
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 6:54:03 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Can't wait!

Seems interesting.

warspite1

Which film?

Enemy at the Gates.
warspite1

I don't recall ever saying I didn't like this film. Whilst not in my top 5, I found it entertaining enough. IIRC its got that cool dude Ed Harris, its got the beautiful Ms Weisz and it had some great shots - particularly at the start where the troops are being fed into the battle over the Volga, the skies above which are dominated by the Lutwaffe.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2262
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 6:57:42 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Can't wait!

Seems interesting.

warspite1

Which film?

Enemy at the Gates.
warspite1

I don't recall ever saying I didn't like this film. Whilst not in my top 5, I found it entertaining enough. IIRC its got that cool dude Ed Harris, its got the beautiful Ms Weisz and it had some great shots - particularly at the start where the troops are being fed into the battle over the Volga, the skies above which are dominated by the Lutwaffe.

Then I was wrong. I did recall it being bashed some years ago. I thought you were involved but apparently not. My bad. Sorry.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2263
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 6:58:17 PM   
Orm

quote:

its got that cool dude Ed Harris, its got the beautiful Ms Weisz and it had some great shots - particularly at the start where the troops are being fed into the battle over the Volga, the skies above which are dominated by the Lutwaffe.

You said it.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2264
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 6:58:53 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Can't wait!

Seems interesting.

warspite1

Which film?

Enemy at the Gates.
warspite1

Then I was wrong. I did recall it being bashed some years ago. I thought you were involved but apparently not. My bad. Sorry.
warspite1

That's okay . I've bashed plenty of war films in my time - I cannot imagine bashing that one.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2265
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 6:59:49 PM   
Orm

quote:

Whilst not in my top 5,

Do you have a war film top list? Say, a top 10, or something? The world would like to know.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2266
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 7:04:18 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Whilst not in my top 5,

Do you have a war film top list? Say, a top 10, or something? The world would like to know.
warspite1

Well obviously Pearl Harbor tops the list...

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2267
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 7:06:13 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Whilst not in my top 5,

warspite1

warspite1

...but in all seriousness I don't know, I'm sure I've cobbled together a top 5 or ten or something in the past. Times and tastes change - plus it helps if one's seen something recently as a reminder of how good/bad it was.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2268
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 7:07:20 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

Whilst not in my top 5,

warspite1

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2269
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 7:08:49 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Whilst not in my top 5,

warspite1

warspite1

...but in all seriousness I don't know, I'm sure I've cobbled together a top 5 or ten or something in the past. Times and tastes change - plus it helps if one's seen something recently as a reminder of how good/bad it was.

indeed.

Obviously it is a list that would be in fluctuation and change over time. But I would find it interesting all the same.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2270
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 7:15:22 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Whilst not in my top 5,

warspite1

warspite1

warspite1

But I guess it would be something like:

1. Schindler's List (the best film ever made has to top the best war film category by definition).
2. Battle of Britain
3. Conspiracy (not sure if this counts as a war film - but it should be compulsory viewing for every school child).

But then what? Tora, Tora, Tora, Saving Private Ryan, The Great Escape.

Next bucket: Where Eagles Dare, Dam Busters, Ice Cold in Alex, A Bridge Too Far

I'm bound to have forgotten something, but if not lets say:

4. Tora, Tora, Tora
5. The Great Escape
6. Saving Private Ryan
7. Where Eagles Dare
8. A Bridge Too Far
9. Dam Busters
10. Ice Cold In Alex

Was Das Boot a film? I only recall seeing a series, but may have been cut down into a film. If so then that would rank highly.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/14/2017 7:16:35 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2271
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 7:18:09 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Whilst not in my top 5,

warspite1

warspite1

warspite1

But I guess it would be something like:

1. Schindler's List (the best film ever made has to top the best war film category by definition).
2. Battle of Britain
3. Conspiracy (not sure if this counts as a war film - but it should be compulsory viewing for every school child).

But then what? Tora, Tora, Tora, Saving Private Ryan, The Great Escape.

Next bucket: Where Eagles Dare, Dam Busters, Ice Cold in Alex, A Bridge Too Far

I'm bound to have forgotten something, but if not lets say:

4. Tora, Tora, Tora
5. The Great Escape
6. Saving Private Ryan
7. Where Eagles Dare
8. A Bridge Too Far
9. Dam Busters
10. Ice Cold In Alex

Was Das Boot a film? I only recall seeing a series, but may have been cut down into a film. If so then that would rank highly.

warspite1

And there you go - forgot one of the bestest ever

No.4 Operation Daybreak - everyone else drops down one and Ice Cold loses its place.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2272
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 7:29:11 PM   
Orm

Thank you for that list. A few films that I need to watch now.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2273
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 7:31:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Thank you for that list. A few films that I need to watch now.
warspite1

So where is yours - or anyone else's?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2274
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 7:31:55 PM   
Orm

quote:

It must be classified as a film since it was first released as a film.

Cut from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Boot

The first version to be released was the theatrical 150-minute (2½-hour) cut, released to theatres in Germany in 1981, and in the United States in 1982. It was nominated for six Academy Awards (Cinematography, Directing, Film Editing, Sound (Milan Bor, Trevor Pyke and Mike Le Mare), Sound Effects Editing, and Writing).

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2275
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 7:33:52 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

It must be classified as a film since it was first released as a film.

Cut from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Boot

The first version to be released was the theatrical 150-minute (2½-hour) cut, released to theatres in Germany in 1981, and in the United States in 1982. It was nominated for six Academy Awards (Cinematography, Directing, Film Editing, Sound (Milan Bor, Trevor Pyke and Mike Le Mare), Sound Effects Editing, and Writing).
warspite1

Well that would need to be in there. And I've forgotten another one - Memphis Belle. Only ever saw it once, but really liked it.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2276
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 7:38:13 PM   
Orm

Tricky, isn't it. And even trickier considering there is a whole bunch of good war movies covering other wars. Some good mini series out there as well.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2277
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 7:39:02 PM   
Orm

I notice that Casablanca didn't make your cut.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2278
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 7:42:27 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Tricky, isn't it. And even trickier considering there is a whole bunch of good war movies covering other wars. Some good mini series out there as well.

warspite1

AAAAGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

You've made me think of another.... Waterloo. And then there's Zulu....

Oh for goodness sake

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2279
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 1/14/2017 7:53:10 PM   
warspite1

Okay my final draft

2. Battle of Britain
3. Conspiracy
4. Waterloo
5. Operation Daybreak
6. Das Boot
7. Tora, Tora, Tora
8. The Great Escape
9. Saving Private Ryan
10. Dam Busters

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2280
Page:   <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI