Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/3/2017 3:35:18 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
the poison the druggies want to get into them are everywhere. That's my biggest fear for my grandkids.

That they become WiTP:AE followers? Yes. I fear that they will be susceptible to the addictive brain poison that Matrix / Slitherine sells too. God forbid.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2221
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/3/2017 3:37:09 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

the poison the druggies want to get into them are everywhere. That's my biggest fear for my grandkids.

That they become WiTP:AE followers? Yes. I fear that they will be susceptible to the addictive brain poison that Matrix / Slitherine sells too. God forbid.

....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2222
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/3/2017 5:37:04 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109
We knew what it was and our daughter confirmed it when she told us that if she had our "things" we wouldn't leave her because we'd be leaving our things behind.

Stuff like this gets to me, and is why I still work in Boy scouts long after my son moved on. 99 kids go their own way, do their own thing etc. But then that 1 comes along that for whatever reason needs a rock. Not to hold onto, but just to use as a reference. And that makes all the time spent worth it.
warspite1

Nice post Lecivius

Re the wider point. Definitely swings and roundabouts. My dad was 54 and my mum was 44 when my sister came along and two years younger when I was born. I had the bestest parents ever (and I'm not even biased ) but it would have been nice to have been able to do more dad/son stuff (particularly going to the footie) with dad - but by the time I was ten, dad was almost at retirement age and traipsing across London to watch Spurs lose get old (even older than dad) pretty quickly.

I am also sad that my dad never got to see all of his 12 grandchildren - including missing out on my two and that my mum will never hear my youngest warspite playing the classical music - she so loved - on the violin and piano .

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 2223
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/3/2017 6:55:20 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109
We knew what it was and our daughter confirmed it when she told us that if she had our "things" we wouldn't leave her because we'd be leaving our things behind.

Stuff like this gets to me, and is why I still work in Boy scouts long after my son moved on. 99 kids go their own way, do their own thing etc. But then that 1 comes along that for whatever reason needs a rock. Not to hold onto, but just to use as a reference. And that makes all the time spent worth it.
warspite1

Nice post Lecivius

Re the wider point. Definitely swings and roundabouts. My dad was 54 and my mum was 44 when my sister came along and two years younger when I was born. I had the bestest parents ever (and I'm not even biased ) but it would have been nice to have been able to do more dad/son stuff (particularly going to the footie) with dad - but by the time I was ten, dad was almost at retirement age and traipsing across London to watch Spurs lose get old (even older than dad) pretty quickly.

I am also sad that my dad never got to see all of his 12 grandchildren - including missing out on my two and that my mum will never hear my youngest warspite playing the classical music - she so loved - on the violin and piano .

Absolutely.

I am grateful that my two (12 and 9) have got to know both sets of their grandparents. But my father is 84 and in rapidly failing health. He won't have an opportunity to see my son or daughter graduate from High School or-likely-finish middle school.

My dad was 37 when he had me (mom much younger) and a workaholic for much of his working life. By the time he was able to really-o truly-o spend time with the family and get to know my sister and I as individuals, we were out of the house and on to other things. In some ways, we've made up for lost time, but not in other ways.

The flip-side would be the alternative-had my parents never had children or had my wife and I decided to do the DINK thing (which we very nearly did). I am grateful for my parents for their decision. I cannot imagine a happy life without our children in it-they are great young people and I am very pleased that we are bringing them into the world. For my DINK professional friends (a large percentage of them), I feel they are missing such a big part of life by their decision.

ETA: USDA estimates that our kids cost us $42,000 a year. https://www.cnpp.usda.gov/tools/CRC_Calculator/

By the time college is taken into account they will set us back a cool million easily. So, the operative question is:

"Do you want to be a millionaire or do you want to give life to two wonderful people?" No question. I choose life.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 2/3/2017 7:01:32 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2224
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/3/2017 7:04:01 PM   
Lecivius

Hmmmm

dink
Local slang in Vermont. A stupid person, a jerk, an a-hole. A general putdown of one's abilities.
You are such a dink.

I know what you meant Still, there are other uses for that term

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2225
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/4/2017 4:07:53 AM   
wdolson

quote:

Nice post Lecivius

My parents weren't great. My mother was mentally ill and my father is a decent person, he just was not cut out to have children. He wouldn't stand up to my mother when she was being nuts, even if he saw she was doing something ridiculous.

Of my grandparents, one grandfather died young of a very rare autoimmune disease. The other died when I was 3, then my father's sister a couple of years later. One grandmother was more involved with my mother's sister's family than ours and the other grandmother was just as nutty as my mother (my father married his mother, same birthday too).

My sister and I have a lot in common, but she was so scarred by the whole concept of family she pretty much cut off everyone by the time I was in my mid-20s. We have a very weird relationship. We get along fine when we talk, but years can go by between conversations. We have had to talk more the last year because my father's health is failing. Fortunately we're always in complete agreement about what needs to be done, the only issues are logistics.

My sister is 10 years older and had a better time of it before I came along. My father was younger and more engaged in her early life. She never got along with my mother, but she got a lot worse after I was born.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2226
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/4/2017 6:34:01 AM   
BBfanboy

Wow - and I thought I had some strange family relationships. You must be a survivor, Bill, to come out of that mess with all your marbles and a strong work ethic. Kudos, sir!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 2227
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/4/2017 7:06:29 AM   
wdolson

Psychologically I was a mess in high school, but I spent a lot of time navel gazing and did some therapy in my 20s. I was angry for a while, but gave up ever resolving anything by 30. Accepting that there will never be any resolution is probably a key element to getting over it. It probably also helps I hate feeling intoxicated and I have a pretty good instinct for self preservation.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2228
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/4/2017 2:44:43 PM   
rockmedic109

I feel for you Bill. Sounds a lot like my wife's parents. Overcoming such is difficult. I am very glad you have do so. It takes an inner strength that I am in awe of because I don't think I could do the self-analysis necessary to do it myself.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 2229
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 3:38:29 AM   
RFalvo69

Both branches of my family are very longeve. On my father's side, my grandfather died at 94 years old, my grandma at 92. On my mother side, my grandma died at 93 years old. Only my grandfather died when he was 48 years old, but due to permanent wounds he suffered during WWI. He lived all his life with an Austro-Hungarian machinegun bullet lodged in his spine (he was a colonel when this happened, decorated with two silver stars, and, as the times required, he was wounded while leading his troops from the front); he was also hit, not seriously, by a second bullet. He kept it and made a ring out of it - a ring that he wore for the rest of his life.

Somehow he lived a full and normal life - until one day in 1946, out of the blue, the bullet caused a form of blood poisoning which killed him in three days.

My father's father married very young with his high-school sweethart. As it happens, one year later she died in childbirth leaving a healthy daughter. My grandpa took this event so badly that he left the care of his daughter, Cristina, to his two sisters, and enlisted in the Bersaglieri. It was 1911, and that very November he landed in Libya with the first wave during the opening phase of the Italo-Turkish War. He served until 1915 (always stationed in Africa - from Libya to Somalia). Coincidentally, when Italy entered WWI in 1915 he had served for four years, and he was a widow with a daughter, so he was actually discharged.

During the war he met and married his second wife. They had a son and a daughter - but Fate struck again, and his second wife died in 1919 of the Spanish Flu.

With two daughters and a son - not to mention, according to his family and friends, being totally emotionally broken - he woved to never marry again.

Until, in 1930, he met my grandma, Maria. They married and had FOUR children: one daughter and three sons. My father was the younger. Tragically, the middle son, Mario, was killed when his bycicle was hit by a car. Luckily, this was the last tragedy which hit my grandfather.

Now, think about it: my maternal grandfather was this close to be killed in WWI. My father's father saw two wifes die young due to a cruel Fate, and married his third wife after eleven years (and after wowing to never marry again). They had four children, and I'm the son of the last one.

Just think about these two stories, and then think: what was the probability, for me, to be born at all? Very, very, very close to zero. And this doesn't consider what happened to the people who came before my two immediate families.

It doesn't matter if you are a religious, spiritual or materialistic person: the very fact that each of us is here, writing on this forum, is a miracle. And, for some reason, something I, honestly, always try not to think about. I look at my two daughters and that's what really matters: life is like a river which flows through infinite ramifications: it will always find the next one and flow on.

Sorry, I blathered a bit

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 2230
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 6:03:12 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

Abduction of kids is pretty rare, but the poison the druggies want to get into them are everywhere. That's my biggest fear for my grandkids.

My neighbors across the street have a teenage girl, twelve or thirteen (and pretty). A few months back I read in the local paper where about a mile away some guy tried to abduct a girl. She didn't know him but he called her by name. She ran and escaped. The guy in question lives or lived on the same block as my neighbors. I had never seen him before so I gave the father the article with the guy's picture so she could study it and be aware. I don't know what they could charge him with since he never touched the girl. Could be out on the street.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2231
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 6:38:57 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

Abduction of kids is pretty rare, but the poison the druggies want to get into them are everywhere. That's my biggest fear for my grandkids.

My neighbors across the street have a teenage girl, twelve or thirteen (and pretty). A few months back I read in the local paper where about a mile away some guy tried to abduct a girl. She didn't know him but he called her by name. She ran and escaped. The guy in question lives or lived on the same block as my neighbors. I had never seen him before so I gave the father the article with the guy's picture so she could study it and be aware. I don't know what they could charge him with since he never touched the girl. Could be out on the street.

Even if they can't charge the lad, having the police sternly question the lad can cool his fantasies of grabbing a girl and dragging her off. Even better if the boy's parents are present.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 2232
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 6:46:38 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69
It doesn't matter if you are a religious, spiritual or materialistic person: the very fact that each of us is here, writing on this forum, is a miracle. And, for some reason, something I, honestly, always try not to think about. I look at my two daughters and that's what really matters: life is like a river which flows through infinite ramifications: it will always find the next one and flow on.

Sorry, I blathered a bit

Very nicely written sentiment.

Although, I wouldn't say that reading Warspite1's piffle constitutes a 'miracle' in any sense of the word. Perhaps it is a miracle that he is able to write cogently and coherently though. One can only wonder what his thought processes are.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 2233
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 6:57:56 PM   
geofflambert

I don't know if the forum has placed this movie in the category movies we shall not mention so if I missed it forgive me this one transgression. Just saw the movie about the Indianapolis, I usually try to give the benefit of the doubt to Nick Cage, but if he read the script first he should've turned the role down. Every actor does work unworthy of them, sometimes they regret it. This movie was just one flippin' thing after another. Let me mention two. At the beginning when given his orders he asked if this had something to do with the "Manhattan Project". I know there's no way he would have heard of it and pretty sure the admiral giving the orders would not have heard that name even by that point. Cage's character also spent considerable time talking about Kaitens. There's no way he would've been aware of them. OK, three things. There was an allusion to the Japanese on the sub somehow knowing about the A-bomb. Huh? Ok, four things. Coming up to the court-martial, one admiral says to another, inferring that Cage was being scapegoated by saying something to the effect of 'They delivired the bomb in record time to Tinian, and this is the thanks they get?' Of course it was in record time, it had never been done before! The screenwriters and director should be banned from the industry.

On another subject, I am rooting for Senator Palpatine and Anakin Skywalker to lose today's game for a change.

Post #: 2234
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 7:00:59 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

quote:

Even if they can't charge the lad, having the police sternly question the lad can cool his fantasies of grabbing a girl and dragging her off. Even better if the boy's parents are present.

Not a boy and for all I know he killed his parents. I'll know him if I see him in an open shirt by all the tattoos on his upper chest. He probably rents an apartment in one of the duplexes on that block.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2235
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 7:04:05 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

On another subject, I am rooting for Senator Palpatine and Anakin Skywalker to lose today's game for a change.

You and me both. Anakin's wife, Amidala, is nice to look at, but I find their storybook fling a little hard to swallow. Or maybe it's because I'm jealous as ****.

Post #: 2236
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 7:07:45 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I don't know if the forum has placed this movie in the category movies we shall not mention so if I missed it forgive me this one transgression. Just saw the movie about the Indianapolis, I usually try to give the benefit of the doubt to Nick Cage, but if he read the script first he should've turned the role down. Every actor does work unworthy of them, sometimes they regret it. This movie was just one flippin' thing after another. Let me mention two. At the beginning when given his orders he asked if this had something to do with the "Manhattan Project". I know there's no way he would have heard of it and pretty sure the admiral giving the orders would not have heard that name even by that point. Cage's character also spent considerable time talking about Kaitens. There's no way he would've been aware of them. OK, three things. There was an allusion to the Japanese on the sub somehow knowing about the A-bomb. Huh? Ok, four things. Coming up to the court-martial, one admiral says to another, inferring that Cage was being scapegoated by saying something to the effect of 'They delivired the bomb in record time to Tinian, and this is the thanks they get?' Of course it was in record time, it had never been done before! The screenwriters and director should be banned from the industry.

The movie of which you speak has not yet been relegated to the seventh level of Hell that TMTSNBN has been, but thanks for thinking about BUUUUUUUURRRRRRP forum etiquette. 'Scuse.

I saw "Fury" in theaters last year. I enjoyed the film, but-yes-some of the inaccuracies bothered me too. Other than the occasional calling bull**** on some factoid or unrealistic aspect of the dialogue or plotline, was it worth watching? On Netflix when it comes out?

Post #: 2237
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 7:20:35 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: dave sindel

He is one of my favorites also. One of my favorite films of his is Secondhand Lions with Michael Caine.

Robert Duvall. I do not watch car racing whether it be Formula 1, Nascar or those guys in Europe trying to run down bicyclists and pedestrians (and chickens and sheep). I also don't like Tom Cruise. At all. But since Duvall was in Days of Thunder I watched it. It is a really good movie and Cruise is beyond perfect in it, he's transcendental. I bet Duvall was coaching him.

(in reply to dave sindel)
Post #: 2238
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 7:25:58 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

Sorry, I blathered a bit

Very nicely written sentiment.

Although, I wouldn't say that reading Warspite1's piffle constitutes a 'miracle' in any sense of the word. Perhaps it is a miracle that he is able to write cogently and coherently though. One can only wonder what his thought processes are.

warspite1

I wouldn't waste anytime wondering that old boy. Thoughts - at least those of the intelligent variety - are not something that troubles the inside of my head very often, if at all. All I know is that in life there is but one constant, and it is the one rule that I have always lived my life by:

The answer is always boobs.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2239
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 7:31:50 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

He is one of my favorites also. One of my favorite films of his is Secondhand Lions with Michael Caine.

Robert Duvall. I do not watch car racing whether it be Formula 1, Nascar or those guys in Europe trying to run down bicyclists and pedestrians (and chickens and sheep). I also don't like Tom Cruise. At all. But since Duvall was in Days of Thunder I watched it. It is a really good movie and Cruise is beyond perfect in it, he's transcendental. I bet Duvall was coaching him.
warspite1

This is a very worrying post

a)
quote:

I do not watch...... Formula 1

b) You watched Days of Thunder and all you can think to gush coquettishly about are Robert Duvall and Tom Cruise. You know they are blokes right? You know the exquisite Nicole Kidman was in that film?

Are you ill? or just a communist?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2240
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 7:36:29 PM   
Orm

quote:

Maybe capitalist and know that those blokes are what makes the movie a blockbuster.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2241
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 7:37:04 PM   
Orm

quote:

The answer is always boobs.

You said it.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2242
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 7:37:55 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

a)
quote:

b) You watched Days of Thunder and all you can think to gush coquettishly about are Robert Duvall and Tom Cruise. You know they are blokes right? You know the exquisite Nicole Kidman was in that film?

Maybe the answer in this case is both Nicole Kidman and boobs? Something to ponder on.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2243
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 7:38:34 PM   
geofflambert

Talking about Duvall made me think of another actor, not as great, but he stunned me once. Let me preface this by saying I also hate hockey. Really hate it. There was this movie on TV, must've been about 10 years ago I blundered into it. I did know about the event it was about and I stumbled in near the beginning and decided to watch it. The movie is Miracle. So I'm watching but thinking it's a B movie. Who's that guy playing the coach? Never seen him before! Kurt flippin' Russel. I don't think I realized it until I saw it again some years later.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2244
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 7:41:52 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

a)
quote:

She's so pale I think she's a vampire. Some of those were vegans before they became vampires and come after green guys like me and smear us with tofu. I hate tofu.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2245
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 7:42:08 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Talking about Duvall made me think of another actor, not as great, but he stunned me once. Let me preface this by saying I also hate hockey. Really hate it. There was this movie on TV, must've been about 10 years ago I blundered into it. I did know about the event it was about and I stumbled in near the beginning and decided to watch it. The movie is Miracle. So I'm watching but thinking it's a B movie. Who's that guy playing the coach? Never seen him before! Kurt flippin' Russel. I don't think I realized it until I saw it again some years later.
Eminem

We gonna have a problem here

Post #: 2246
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 7:50:03 PM   
warspite1

Perhaps you'll permit me to explain

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2247
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 7:51:59 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

The movie of which you speak has not yet been relegated to the seventh level of Hell that TMTSNBN has been, but thanks for thinking about BUUUUUUUURRRRRRP forum etiquette. 'Scuse.

I saw "Fury" in theaters last year. I enjoyed the film, but-yes-some of the inaccuracies bothered me too. Other than the occasional calling bull**** on some factoid or unrealistic aspect of the dialogue or plotline, was it worth watching? On Netflix when it comes out?

I liked Fury too. The ending was just pure fantasy.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2248
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 7:53:43 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

Man, I just go straight to the porn when I want what you want.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2249
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/5/2017 7:57:01 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Man, I just go straight to the porn when I want what you want.
warspite1

An attitude that does you credit sir .

Post #: 2250
Page:   <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI