Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  309 310 [311] 312 313   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 5:43:26 PM   
Canoerebel

I took it as an observation. :)

You're right about the level of detail. I sent a turn to John last night. It took me three hours. That included about 45 minutes to an hour resetting Death Star and the Herd to follow a new ASW TF (forced on me by the AI, as I explained earlier) and then checking each TF twice to make sure the orders were correct. That process was such an agonizing click-fest that I couldn't go through the carrier TFs to reset all the aircraft squadrons from range 4 to range 5 in order to strike shipping at Tarakan. I should have, but that would've taken at least another hour and perhaps considerably more.

I can easily spend four to six hours on turns now. Not uber complicated turns, but regular turns. (I can sometimes flip in as little as 50 minutes to an hour, but those instances are increasingly rare.)

I'm having a blast, though. Part of it is because I love the planning and the unfolding of the plan. To wit: It's been tremendously gratifying to set out, from day one of this game, to weaken the Japanese navy to the point that John couldn't use it. I'm not quite there, but gracious! He hasn't felt able to commit a combat TF to the DEI in months...and only a single one to the Philippines. To play this deeply into the game so that very, very long-term plans are finally playing out is an amazingly fulfilling experience.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 9301
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 5:44:55 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

A lot of work, more than playing if you do it frequently.

Perhaps....buts let's cut to the chase and just admit that Dan has lots more words than the rest of us

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

Post #: 9302
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 5:56:33 PM   
jwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Bill, perhaps I'm doing something wrong. BBs North Carolina, Iowa and New Jersey refuse all entreaties. I'll fiddle with settings and see if I can figure something out. But Naga should reach level 5 in two weeks.

Dumb question: are your AKEs loaded? If so, they should certainly rearm the NC. I haven't played late enough in the game to get the really big BBs so I can't say about them.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9303
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 6:00:17 PM   
Canoerebel

Both AKEs are 4200 capacity and both are fully loaded with supply.

I don't have an AE in port, though there is one (and another AKE) in the group of ships awaiting transit to the Fun House AOO.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 9304
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 6:02:45 PM   
Bearcat2

You need one of those 5400 AE/AKE's to rearm those 16"/50's; or for a lvl 4 port 1058 naval support squads. 5/1020 6/940

Rearm cost for a 16"/50 is 5400 The weapon Rearm cost must be "less than or equal to" the tender cargo capacity.

< Message edited by Termite2 -- 2/27/2017 6:06:44 PM >

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 9305
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 6:05:28 PM   
MakeeLearn

Which version are y'all playing?

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 9306
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 6:06:57 PM   
Canoerebel

Thanks.

Uh oh. I only have 643 naval support at Legaspi. Seemed like enough.

I need a staff. I find it hard to keep up with all the details. I've been through this exercise before, but it continues to elude me. Heck, it wasn't many months back that a damaged sub due for withdrawal sat at Pearl Harbor for a week because I couldn't figure out why she wouldn't withdraw.

It's my responsibility to learn and keep up with the rules. I've done a decent job, but there are gaping holes that prevent me from "optimal play" (in the words of the immortal Nemo).

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 9307
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 6:09:15 PM   
Canoerebel

I have two big AEs within shouting distance, so I'll work to get them to Legaspi.

Thanks for the advice. It's nice to have capable advice from the staff.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9308
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 6:38:51 PM   
jwolf

quote:

I need a staff.

No kidding! You're doing singlehandedly what was actually done by dozens, if not hundreds, in real life. Granted that a lot of their work is abstracted into the game, still it is am immense organizational effort. You can't really blame yourself for an occasional mild snafu such as the non-withdrawal from Pearl.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9309
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 6:41:32 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

At this point it is pretty hard to pull of a miracle. Should have been attempted sooner by John. In my last campaign and current, I really can't say I won a single carrier fight. But never lost one enough to do me much harm and attrition to the Japanese fleet eventually did the job. John could win the next fight 3-2 in carriers and still will have lost. Because he does not get much more and the Allied faucet flows til then end. I know the Japanese get more to play with here but he is reaching the point of total inferiority. Fact is, he hates to lose his carriers but at this point the Japanese player is playing for time, not ships and should be ready to lose ships in droves if it can be strategically useful. Some say the Sam will be the great equalizer but I doubt it because by late 44-Japanese carriers become glass cannons no matter the planes on them.

Lots of wisdom here for Japan...for JFB, you must realize that all ships with be sunk.

Sam is not an equalizer. No range. Not enough carriers. But it is better than the 5c.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 9310
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 6:45:44 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Termite2

You need one of those 5400 AE/AKE's to rearm those 16"/50's; or for a lvl 4 port 1058 naval support squads. 5/1020 6/940

Rearm cost for a 16"/50 is 5400 The weapon Rearm cost must be "less than or equal to" the tender cargo capacity.

Try rearming the Mushashi!

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 9311
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 6:59:09 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

Try rearming the Mushashi!

Gosh I just spilled some of my coffee.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 9312
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 7:11:37 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

I think every AAR player is surprised when he learns the truth about the strength or weakness of his opponent's situation, the things his opponent most feared, etc. That's part of the game, unless a player is basically a savant or gifted with second-sight.

If you took it as a criticism I certainly didn't mean it that way.

I've done one AAR and probably won't do another. A lot of work, more than playing if you do it frequently. But I found it did grow a little tiring to listen to advice from onlookers who didn't know the full picture. The value of AARs is as teaching tools, and this one has amazing graphics and flow. But readers would be better served to be 90% consumers, and 10% contributors, especially in the late war.

I believe the hardest thing to do in the game is play the Allies in 1944-45. Harder than running the Japanese economy. There, inputs are under full control and outputs are exactly as expected. The degree of detail required to be managed in a Fun House is staggering, and those who haven't tried to do it should read and learn. Tossing off "you should go grab Vietnam" isn't realistic and borders on insane. That would be the work of months.

If I have stopped contributing here it's in large part for this reason. I've got nothing to add over what you're already doing. But I am learning things.

I humbly disagree .

Post #: 9313
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 7:13:48 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I have been able to rearm Yamato in early May 1942 with Japanese AKE's (which are less capable than most USN versions) in a port too small to even allow the AKE's to dock . With Yamato and the 16 in guns of modern USN BB's you can usually only rearm one magazine at a time, even with multiple AKE's.

Be aware that refuleing also eats up op points and there is a test based on the size of the BB and the size of the AKE. Below a certain size, a smaller AKE cannot rearm the biggest BB's. Also, the AKE's expend op points so there is a limit to how much work they can do in one day. Lastly, they need to be loaded with supply points using the "load tender" button. Put the AKE's in a SUPPORT TF and set to DO NOT UNLOAD.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9314
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 7:22:44 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

I have been able to rearm Yamato in early May 1942 with Japanese AKE's (which are less capable than most USN versions) in a port too small to even allow the AKE's to dock . With Yamato and the 16 in guns of modern USN BB's you can usually only rearm one magazine at a time, even with multiple AKE's.

Be aware that refuleing also eats up op points and there is a test based on the size of the BB and the size of the AKE. Below a certain size, a smaller AKE cannot rearm the biggest BB's. Also, the AKE's expend op points so there is a limit to how much work they can do in one day. Lastly, they need to be loaded with supply points using the "load tender" button. Put the AKE's in a SUPPORT TF and set to DO NOT UNLOAD.

Not supposed to work I believe.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 9315
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 7:23:19 PM   
Bearcat2

Doesn't rearming also works if the AE/AKE's are disbanded in port? I always disband them in a port and it seems to work, also easier using the"load tender" button

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 9316
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 7:24:51 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

Doesn't rearming also works if the AE/AKE's are disbanded in port? I always disband them in a port and it seems to work, also easier using the"load tender" button

Sure, that is the way I primarily use them. In fact, I would guess only AE after a date, work to rearm from a task force.

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 9317
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 7:30:10 PM   
Bearcat2

In RA, there are Japanese 6615 AK's that can convert to AKE's which can rearm the Yamato's

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 9318
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 7:34:10 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

In RA, there are Japanese 6615 AK's that can convert to AKE's which can rearm the Yamato's

I guess you can do anything you want to with access to the editor...but AKE and AE aren't supposed to reload the the big girls.

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 9319
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 7:46:20 PM   
Grollub

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

quote:

I need a staff.

No kidding! You're doing singlehandedly what was actually done by dozens, if not hundreds, in real life. Granted that a lot of their work is abstracted into the game, still it is am immense organizational effort. You can't really blame yourself for an occasional mild snafu such as the non-withdrawal from Pearl.

Heh. To make an analogy to the old submarine games I used to play (eg Silent Hunter 3) where taking command of more departments (nav/engineering/wpns etc) of the sub increased "realism level".

Should have been the exact opposite

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 9320
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 7:50:41 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Not supposed to work I believe.

Yes, I was surprised too.

DBB

Level 3 port with 18 naval support

5 x AKE (3000 x 1, 3700 x 4) in a support convoy

I can confirm Yamato will rearm 1 magazine at a time, expending about 650 of her own op points per day

Maybe it is a DBB thing?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 9321
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 7:52:14 PM   
BillBrown

quote:

You're right about the level of detail. I sent a turn to John last night. It took me three hours. That included about 45 minutes to an hour resetting Death Star and the Herd to follow a new ASW TF (forced on me by the AI, as I explained earlier) and then checking each TF twice to make sure the orders were correct. That process was such an agonizing click-fest that I couldn't go through the carrier TFs to reset all the aircraft squadrons from range 4 to range 5 in order to strike shipping at Tarakan. I should have, but that would've taken at least another hour and perhaps considerably more.

I can easily spend four to six hours on turns now. Not uber complicated turns, but regular turns. (I can sometimes flip in as little as 50 minutes to an hour, but those instances are increasingly rare.)

I'm having a blast, though. Part of it is because I love the planning and the unfolding of the plan. To wit: It's been tremendously gratifying to set out, from day one of this game, to weaken the Japanese navy to the point that John couldn't use it. I'm not quite there, but gracious! He hasn't felt able to commit a combat TF to the DEI in months...and only a single one to the Philippines. To play this deeply into the game so that very, very long-term plans are finally playing out is an amazingly fulfilling experience.

This is why I decided to not take on a third game. I have one in April 1943 and I see my time spent per trun going up at a fast rate. I realized that I was not going to have time to do three games at one time.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9322
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 8:11:27 PM   
dave sindel

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

quote:

This is why I decided to not take on a third game. I have one in April 1943 and I see my time spent per trun going up at a fast rate. I realized that I was not going to have time to do three games at one time.

I am in August 1943, and the time per turn keeps increasing. I can easily see 3-4 hours per turn in a few months. I admire those forum members doing multiple games at the same time. I'm barely keeping up with one !

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 9323
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 8:18:32 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Thanks.

Uh oh. I only have 643 naval support at Legaspi. Seemed like enough.

I need a staff. I find it hard to keep up with all the details. I've been through this exercise before, but it continues to elude me. Heck, it wasn't many months back that a damaged sub due for withdrawal sat at Pearl Harbor for a week because I couldn't figure out why she wouldn't withdraw.

It's my responsibility to learn and keep up with the rules. I've done a decent job, but there are gaping holes that prevent me from "optimal play" (in the words of the immortal Nemo).

I find it's usually faster and safer to just build the port a few levels than to round up Naval support, find a transport or three, and then escort them. Ports give VPs too. The PI is dense with medium-sized SPS bases. Two Seabee regiments work pretty well.

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9324
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 8:20:28 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

I think every AAR player is surprised when he learns the truth about the strength or weakness of his opponent's situation, the things his opponent most feared, etc. That's part of the game, unless a player is basically a savant or gifted with second-sight.

I've done one AAR and probably won't do another. A lot of work, more than playing if you do it frequently. But I found it did grow a little tiring to listen to advice from onlookers who didn't know the full picture. The value of AARs is as teaching tools, and this one has amazing graphics and flow. But readers would be better served to be 90% consumers, and 10% contributors, especially in the late war.

I believe the hardest thing to do in the game is play the Allies in 1944-45. Harder than running the Japanese economy. There, inputs are under full control and outputs are exactly as expected. The degree of detail required to be managed in a Fun House is staggering, and those who haven't tried to do it should read and learn. Tossing off "you should go grab Vietnam" isn't realistic and borders on insane. That would be the work of months.

If I have stopped contributing here it's in large part for this reason. I've got nothing to add over what you're already doing. But I am learning things.

I humbly disagree .

I meant from his current position in the PI. Not walk there.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 2/27/2017 8:23:12 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9325
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 10:21:11 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I humbly disagree .

I meant from his current position in the PI. Not walk there.

So did I! I also declined to elaborate on my disagreement, but I'll do so in as short a fashion as I can here:

In this position, I would not go for an operation with the goal of holding coastal Indochina at all costs given the other situations in this game (the biggest one being that CR has greatly drawn down the Burma theater's strength and devoted it to the Pacific). So what would be the goal? In 3 words: making John panic.

"Crap! The Thailand defenders are getting cut off!"

Meanwhile, I'm going elsewhere... I view it as a Morton's Fork: where all outcomes benefit you. Just one of them benefits you even more. It's a scaling up of the whole strategy of feinting.

Post #: 9326
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 10:41:52 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Meanwhile, I'm going elsewhere... I view it as a Morton's Fork: where all outcomes benefit you. Just one of them benefits you even more. It's a scaling up of the whole strategy of feinting.

OK. That makes sense. His opponent is fairly emotional in his reactions. I don't know how that's possible in this game.

My response was mostly driven by prep time. If some decent ports--or one--in Indochina are un-garrisoned that could work. It would take most of the carrier force to drive the point home and get ashore, but then there might be some havoc to be had. Depending on the port the landing might be self-funding in supply terms.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 2/27/2017 10:42:25 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9327
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 10:49:04 PM   
Canoerebel

I don't think that would be a good strategy here. At this point, the Allies would be taking time and fuel and men to create a distraction...when those men could simply be added to the main event, thus shaving off a lot of time that would be lost.

It's academic here, however, as I'm not moving anywhere "across the seas" in the near future.

Post #: 9328
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 10:56:11 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

It's academic here, however, as I'm not moving anywhere "across the seas" in the near future.

Say that as many times as you want, but the fact is you already have.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9329
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 10:59:29 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

quote:

At this point it is pretty hard to pull of a miracle. Should have been attempted sooner by John. In my last campaign and current, I really can't say I won a single carrier fight. But never lost one enough to do me much harm and attrition to the Japanese fleet eventually did the job. John could win the next fight 3-2 in carriers and still will have lost. Because he does not get much more and the Allied faucet flows til then end. I know the Japanese get more to play with here but he is reaching the point of total inferiority. Fact is, he hates to lose his carriers but at this point the Japanese player is playing for time, not ships and should be ready to lose ships in droves if it can be strategically useful. Some say the Sam will be the great equalizer but I doubt it because by late 44-Japanese carriers become glass cannons no matter the planes on them.

A long shot for sure but with lots LBA, Kamikazes, the KB and a bit of luck it might be possible to push the inevitable back by a few months. Auto-Victory is off the table and Japan can not win in long run so at some point one must let the electrons fly or it will just be a game of piling up strategic bombing points. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part but deep down maybe John just wants to go down swinging

I agree with you. If he does not do it soon it will just get worse.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 9330
Page:   <<   < prev  309 310 [311] 312 313   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  309 310 [311] 312 313   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI