Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  310 311 [312] 313 314   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 11:17:09 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I agree with you. If he does not do it soon it will just get worse.

No matter what John does it will just get worse. The nature of the beast!

I guess there are degrees.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 9331
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2017 11:49:11 PM   
Cap Mandrake

CR: <typing on his computer> I'm not moving anywhere "across the seas" in the near future. <a door swings ajar and a sursurration seems to come from nowhere> ...."Ryukyus.........."

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 9332
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/28/2017 1:41:11 AM   
Flicker

I appreciate the knowledge you all share: in just the last couple of pages I learned that paratroops don't need prep and some details of strat moves. These types of tips plus sharing tactics and strategies make this AAR a must read for me.

Oh yeah, CR... Shanghai!

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 9333
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/28/2017 3:42:06 AM   
Canoerebel

Time for bed. I hope to have a turn tomorrow. We missed today. John is still in the reasoning/acceptance stage.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/28/2017 3:48:30 AM >

(in reply to Flicker)
Post #: 9334
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/28/2017 6:26:04 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Time for bed. I hope to have a turn tomorrow. We missed today. John is still in the reasoning/acceptance stage.

I just gotta say that the "stages" of grief, as they are popularized, are mythical. While accurately named, nobody goes through grief in these steps or stages. It's more a combination of all of them, together, at a high intensity at first that gradually decreases. I suppose "acceptance", as it is laid out in these so-called stages, is simply saying that the grieving has receded to a background level.

I can go find sources for this, but I don't think I need to here .

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9335
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/28/2017 6:49:52 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

I have been able to rearm Yamato in early May 1942 with Japanese AKE's (which are less capable than most USN versions) in a port too small to even allow the AKE's to dock . With Yamato and the 16 in guns of modern USN BB's you can usually only rearm one magazine at a time, even with multiple AKE's.

Can this be done in stock or is this in one of the mods? Hell of an advantage to Japan if they can reload 18.1" shells from and AKE that can't even dock

< Message edited by JohnDillworth -- 2/28/2017 6:50:22 PM >

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 9336
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/28/2017 6:51:11 PM   
Canoerebel

John has banged up his ankle pretty bad, necessitating a pause in the game, a visit to the doctor, and hobbling around. He went to work today, so at least he's ambulatory. But he won't be legging out triples anytime soon. I think he'll get started on the game again, either tonight or tomorrow morning. I'm using the downtime to catch up at work.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9337
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 1:21:28 PM   
Canoerebel

John wrote last night that he is feeling much better and will send a turn this morning.

In addition to his real life woes, I think the game situation has affected his morale. Like all of us, when things are going well he looks for any crack to flip a turn. When things aren't going well every situation becomes a reason not to attend to turns.

What I don't know is whether his malaise is general: a distaste for experiencing yet another turned with dozens of uncontested Allied 2EB and 4EB attacks on his troops in Burma and the Philippines. This has been going on for 135 turns now, and it's got to be discouraging.

Or is it specific: has he already run the turn and experienced something unpleasant (I don't think this is the case, because John usually flips a turn quickly when something really bad has happened).

Or is it inchoate: a dawning realization that he's going to have to commit KB bumping up against every fiber in his being urging him not to "Banzai!" his beloved carriers.

He's in a tough spot right now, so I'm trying to give him some space (so don't any readers of John's AAR whisper in his ear that I'm anxious for a turn). He needs space, and he's entitled to some.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/1/2017 1:25:11 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9338
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 4:07:17 PM   
Lokasenna

I'd wager on inchoate.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9339
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 4:15:56 PM   
MakeeLearn

Or inchoately seeking a specific reason.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9340
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 4:18:54 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

I just gotta say that the "stages" of grief, as they are popularized, are mythical. While accurately named, nobody goes through grief in these steps or stages. It's more a combination of all of them, together, at a high intensity at first that gradually decreases. I suppose "acceptance", as it is laid out in these so-called stages, is simply saying that the grieving has receded to a background level.

I can go find sources for this, but I don't think I need to here .

No you don't. Elizabeth Kubler-Ross made all that up in her head. She left out the "Irrational Road Rage and Strange Urge to Get in Bar Fights Stage"

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9341
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 4:19:53 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

quote:

I have been able to rearm Yamato in early May 1942 with Japanese AKE's (which are less capable than most USN versions) in a port too small to even allow the AKE's to dock . With Yamato and the 16 in guns of modern USN BB's you can usually only rearm one magazine at a time, even with multiple AKE's.

Can this be done in stock or is this in one of the mods? Hell of an advantage to Japan if they can reload 18.1" shells from and AKE that can't even dock

It's DBB. Not sure if it was intentional or not.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 9342
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 4:20:19 PM   
Canoerebel

If that's true, I need to be on my guard when the malaise lifts (or seems to). That might be an indication that he's finally come to grips with the situation and is ready to commit.

He's going to see Death Star moving towards the Big Tent AOO over the next few days. That'll present him with the possibility of seeking battle on their return trip, as they near or pass Mindanao and it's nest of level 7 airfields. He'll also vector in his subs (again).

I'll set some 4EB to hit his Mindanao airfields. How he reacts might reveal something about his mindset.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/1/2017 4:21:33 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9343
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 4:32:42 PM   
Canoerebel

John sent the turn with this email comment: "The last ZERO rolled off the assembly line in Japan this day.  No more.  Time for something different."

This info, combined with his post a week or two ago in an aircraft research thread on the main page, tells me that he's busily converting his carrier fighter squadrons to the Sam.

Loose lips sink ships.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9344
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 4:34:32 PM   
Canoerebel

As for sinking ships, there was a sharp and decisive clash at Tarakan:

Day Time Surface Combat, near Tarakan at 67,91, Range 18,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
PB Fumi Maru #3, Shell hits 2, and is sunk
PB Gamitsu Maru #1, Shell hits 3, and is sunk
TK Akatuki Maru, Shell hits 14, and is sunk
TK Azuma Maru #2, Shell hits 10, and is sunk
TK Hishi Maru #2, Shell hits 19, and is sunk
TK Kuremente Maru, Shell hits 11, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
TK Kyoko Maru, Shell hits 10, and is sunk
TK Matsumoto Maru, Shell hits 13, and is sunk
TK Nikkoku Maru, Shell hits 13, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
TK Shoyo Maru, Shell hits 7, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Allied Ships
DD Hoel
DD Spence
DD Thatcher
DD Hammann

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9345
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 4:36:13 PM   
jwolf

Ouch, ouch, ouch!!! That has got to be a painful loss for the Japanese.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9346
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 4:40:22 PM   
Lecivius

Definitely gonna leave a mark in his tanker pool. Nice job

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 9347
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 4:55:12 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

At this point, not really.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 9348
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 5:17:45 PM   
Canoerebel

Those TKs were worth two points apiece, the PBs one each.

The horses looked good on the track but didn't pay off at the window.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 9349
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 5:18:14 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

At this point, not really.

Other than the VPs. But if they were at Tarakan and dock-capable there, those aren't big ones.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 9350
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 5:32:36 PM   
Canoerebel

Suggestive of KB's location, but not definitive, of course.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9351
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 5:46:14 PM   
Lokasenna

KB is the most likely thing, yes... but it is still possible it's naval search from those islands. However:

I mostly see DL 10/10 on subs from airborne ASW. That location is too far for almost anything that could be on ASW from Pagan (8) or Marcus (7) since the ASW mission halves the range setting. Unless it is 2E bombers flying at extended range. Do you know what planes he is using for airborne ASW? If he's not using Peggy, nothing the IJAAF has can reach out that far on ASW. For the IJNAF, it would be any of the 2E's.

If you go back and re-watch the replay, you may be able to spot what kind of aircraft was over this sub. None of Jill, Judy, or Grace can reach this far on ASW from those islands, so if you see any of those it's KB for sure.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9352
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 5:55:24 PM   
Canoerebel

5/17/44

Burma: The Japanese appear to be withdrawing from Moulmein. Advance elements of the Allied army are a hex to the NE.

Fun House: Death Star is on the move again, posted near Sandakan, North Borneo, and will exit tonight into the Celebes Sea. As you can imagine, subs are a concern.

Mutual attacks at Puerto Princesa and Tacloban result in higher levels of damage (though still relatively light) to the Japanese. At Puerto P. forts drop to 1. Still, my guys need a bit of rest after attacking and defending in the same turn.

Points: The Allies reach 50k for the first time. In points for planes lost on the ground, I trail John by just seven. There's always a huge disparity there in the early years of the game, so this is progress of a sort.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9353
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 5:56:41 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

KB is the most likely thing, yes... but it is still possible it's naval search from those islands. However:

I mostly see DL 10/10 on subs from airborne ASW. That location is too far for almost anything that could be on ASW from Pagan (8) or Marcus (7) since the ASW mission halves the range setting. Unless it is 2E bombers flying at extended range. Do you know what planes he is using for airborne ASW? If he's not using Peggy, nothing the IJAAF has can reach out that far on ASW. For the IJNAF, it would be any of the 2E's.

If you go back and re-watch the replay, you may be able to spot what kind of aircraft was over this sub. None of Jill, Judy, or Grace can reach this far on ASW from those islands, so if you see any of those it's KB for sure.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a carrier type plane. I did see at least one Peggy sighting out there somewhere, but I'll have to scour to find it again.

But based on the fact that KB was confirmed out there ten days ago, there is reason to believe KB could be there.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9354
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 6:04:52 PM   
paullus99

I'm at a loss for what John is trying to do....unless he's trailing the coats of the KB in an attempt of misdirection.

It's just weird.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9355
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 6:12:12 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a carrier type plane. I did see at least one Peggy sighting out there somewhere, but I'll have to scour to find it again.

But based on the fact that KB was confirmed out there ten days ago, there is reason to believe KB could be there.

No need to watch the replay if the Op Report specifies what type or aircraft spotted your sub.

Re: Manila AF, the damage report on rollover is always the "Airport Services", not the runways, and the runways repair first. The runway damage is also what determines if aircraft can take off or not. Of course, if he uses the AF with 90% services damage he will not get much servicing of aircraft and air strike coordination will be heavily fractured.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9356
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 6:25:57 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

Might be in the ops report. Edit: Oops, beat me to it.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/1/2017 6:29:32 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9357
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 6:41:42 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

If you keep pressing his fuel sources I bet he will get local shortages soon.
He burned helluvalot fuel.
He has more ships than historical.
You even kept a fuel center, occupied in your Sumatra campaign.
He lost the Burma fuel.

His stocks simply cant be ample.

He has a gazillion of those small tankers (if he didnt stop merchant ship production) but he will feel the loss of fuel.

< Message edited by Gräfin Zeppelin -- 3/1/2017 6:45:18 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9358
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 7:16:53 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

If you keep pressing his fuel sources I bet he will get local shortages soon.
He burned helluvalot fuel.
He has more ships than historical.
You even kept a fuel center, occupied in your Sumatra campaign.
He lost the Burma fuel.

His stocks simply cant be ample.

He has a gazillion of those small tankers (if he didnt stop merchant ship production) but he will feel the loss of fuel.

John might have local fuel shortages but Dan's prefers his subs with the fleet so I don't think he has sunk a lot of merchant tonnage. I don't know Johns HI resources but I be he is not hurting for oil or resources. not so sure about fuel. As you say, there are a million of these tiny tankers. It's not the loss of these little tankers but now John probably has to increase escorts. I doubt he has the warships to dedicate but maybe some old Cl's

BTW Dan, when is the last time you has a bonafide 100% sighting of the KB?

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 9359
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2017 7:40:25 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

Suggestive of KB's location, but not definitive, of course.

Subs? That's a good place to have a IJN submarine picket line.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 3/1/2017 7:41:10 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9360
Page:   <<   < prev  310 311 [312] 313 314   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  310 311 [312] 313 314   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI