Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is e... - 7/22/2016 9:43:35 AM   
Joseignacio

WIF, the game that was the origin of MWIF and whose rules are 95% the same (save some adaptations Steven had to do), has been evolving along the years, being these late ones a comparatively "fast" evolution, some years for many changes instead of decades...

However, those changes were only available to a few people, the "testers", which usually were "recruited" in the EuroWifCon and I guess american WIFCON, and others, ..., and their groups who they play at home with.

Or at least that's what Harry asked us for, not to spread it while it was under development.

Ok, the latest version, which will be released in EuroWifCon in Sept/Oct this year, is now public, so you can see the multiple changes and (IMO) improvements it makes. It's still a draft though.

Just a caveat, don't start asking Steve with versions adapted to the 8.xx versions of the rules instead of version 7. It's impossible, at the current state and you know it.

Lower part of this page, the Collector Edition items:

http://www.a-d-g.com.au/pages/downloads

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 3/1/2017 7:22:08 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 7/22/2016 10:02:44 PM   
brian brian

New maps this fall too...

Check out the ADG blog

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 2
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 7/22/2016 10:11:56 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

Check out the ADG blog
warspite1

Can't see the maps properly but although an improvement (I cannot see those hideous orange fists) the flippin' mountains are still that shiny grey colour

Why not just use the MWIF map design???

Anyway - roll on October - I can't wait to get my hands on the Collectors Edition

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 3
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 7/24/2016 6:50:06 AM   
rkr1958

ADG's server seems to be down.

Ronnie

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 7/24/2016 7:43:28 PM   
ncc1701e

Yes indeed, I fail to access the link as well.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 5
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 7/26/2016 8:32:08 AM   
Joseignacio

Right now, it's working. :) I guess it was temporary.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 6
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 7/27/2016 8:47:09 PM   
Aranthus

Where have you found map images? I don't see them in the downloads section.

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 7
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 7/27/2016 8:50:24 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aranthus

warspite1

Look at the News page. Its not very big and not particularly clear though.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/27/2016 9:22:29 PM >

(in reply to Aranthus)
Post #: 8
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 7/28/2016 5:19:28 PM   
warspite1

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 9
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 7/29/2016 10:14:58 PM   
tom730_slith

Wow, really like some of the new options and rules updates! I noticed the start and end dates went from 1936 - 195-something. Is this to allow Days of Decisions to be played as a "prequel?"
I got both board games when they first came out and enjoyed them both, even though I always had to play solitaire. I guess that's why I am so pleased with MWIF. Solitaire is what I am accustomed to.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 10
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 7/30/2016 8:02:31 AM   
paulderynck

Yes it is possible to play DoD as a prequel.

Paul

(in reply to tom730_slith)
Post #: 11
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 8/20/2016 6:26:08 AM   
tom730_slith

That's awesome! I got the original DOD and had a lot of fun with that years ago, as well as the original WIF.
I assume order of battle is determined at start of war somehow? With the old production spiral it would be pretty easy to have all the pre-Sept 1, 1939 production set up and players take over production whenever the war actually starts. Is that how it works?
Also, is 9/1/39 the latest the war can begin?

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 12
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 8/21/2016 7:26:21 AM   
quiritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aranthus

now the draft version is online on ADG

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0714/3419/files/WiF8_World_150_45_percent.jpg?8482247284812448819

(in reply to Aranthus)
Post #: 13
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 8/23/2016 7:44:20 PM   
tom730_slith

I love the maps! I did notice though that now I'm totally spoiled to the MWIF full world maps. Many more options involving minor ports in areas that don't appear on the new WIF maps, plus the possibilities of land campaigns in South Africa & South America.
The new maps do make some things easier I guess, like moving units in Norway to Finland, but having the space for WIF map set up remains the big issue.

(in reply to quiritus)
Post #: 14
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 8/23/2016 11:59:55 PM   
gravyhair

The new oil rules would be so much easier to program ...

Wise Men Still Seek Him

(in reply to tom730_slith)
Post #: 15
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 8/24/2016 8:34:57 AM   
paulderynck

IMO the old oil rules are better and already programmed and thus automatic on the computer which eliminates their one and only downside: counting up the oil needed at the end of each turn.

Paul

(in reply to gravyhair)
Post #: 16
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 8/24/2016 7:36:02 PM   
Viktor_Kormel_slith

After quick reading, RAW 8 haven´t got very interesting changes I´m a little dissapointment. Maybe the oil rules are more operative than the older one. About the maps I´.m in love with MWIF maps and the old WIF maps can´t break my love.

Sorry, for my bad english! "Wiffing" since 1990 to the tomb!

Post #: 17
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 8/24/2016 8:10:09 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viktor_Kormel

After quick reading, RAW 8 haven´t got very interesting changes I´m a little dissapointment. Maybe the oil rules are more operative than the older one. About the maps I´.m in love with MWIF maps and the old WIF maps can´t break my love.

warspite1

True dat. The new maps look a little better than before, but why they don't adopt the exquisite MWIF colouring is just beyond me Grey mountains.... bloody grey mountains.....hideous

(in reply to Viktor_Kormel_slith)
Post #: 18
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 8/25/2016 5:04:10 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

There are at least 100 changes to the rules and charts between RAW7 and RAW8. The game is still WiF with the same core systems, but many refinements, simplifications, and fixes for gamey ploys have been added. Personally, I don't like some of the new rules and options but overall RAW8 is an improvement on RAW7.

Paul

(in reply to Viktor_Kormel_slith)
Post #: 19
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 8/26/2016 2:18:15 AM   
Viktor_Kormel_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

There are at least 100 changes to the rules and charts between RAW7 and RAW8. The game is still WiF with the same core systems, but many refinements, simplifications, and fixes for gamey ploys have been added. Personally, I don't like some of the new rules and options but overall RAW8 is an improvement on RAW7.

Maybe my reading was too quick

Sorry, for my bad english! "Wiffing" since 1990 to the tomb!

Post #: 20
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 9/25/2016 8:12:44 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Check out the ADG blog
warspite1

Can't see the maps properly but although an improvement (I cannot see those hideous orange fists) the flippin' mountains are still that shiny grey colour

Anyway - roll on October - I can't wait to get my hands on the Collectors Edition

warspite1

Latest news is that this won't now be ready until April 2017.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 21
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 10/20/2016 7:05:15 PM   
Dabrion

The new maps have quite some changes. Harry is especially proud of how distances are more correct now when you try to triangulate ;) Also the railnet was upgraded to be based off maps from the late 30's instead of early 20's. Some changes in the German north sea possessions and France (France-First during Winter 39/40 become easier). Oslo is invadable. +2 hexrows in Russia. Sicily now invadable from the WMed. Getting rid of the Africa/Scandinavia map. Pacific sea zones and islands changed a bit. and much more ..

RAW8 is an improvement in most ways (except the ridiculous new ASW table). Being stuck on RAW7 must make you really sad..

There will also be a new set of counters with some changes for CE and new setups (esp. USE chits will be changed slightly).

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”
- Richard P. Feynman, 'WiF, Sex, and the Dual Slit Experiment'.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 22
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 10/20/2016 7:23:32 PM   
warspite1

I am looking forward to the new maps and counters and rules - and hopefully I will see them as positive like you do (the ASW table excepted apparently). Regardless I will be purchasing the moment I can.

However as far as MWIF is concerned and RAW 7, you are quite wrong.

1. I don't know what RAW 8 does so I can hardly be sad - let alone really sad - not to be playing with that rule set.

2. At some point in the future I will know what the differences are however. And? It's a bit like owning CIV IV. I own CIV IV, I like and play CIV IV a lot. CIV V and soon, CIV VI will be out, but I cannot play them as I have a computer that is too old and warty - a bit like my good self. But you know what? I still like CIV IV and so the fact there is a different version out there matters not one jot.

So there you go.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 10/20/2016 7:24:37 PM >

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 23
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 10/21/2016 4:30:57 AM   
paulderynck

deleted

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 10/21/2016 4:32:22 AM >

Paul

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 24
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 10/21/2016 4:36:35 PM   
Orm

quote:

I am looking forward to the new maps and counters and rules - and hopefully I will see them as positive like you do (the ASW table excepted apparently). Regardless I will be purchasing the moment I can.

However as far as MWIF is concerned and RAW 7, you are quite wrong.

1. I don't know what RAW 8 does so I can hardly be sad - let alone really sad - not to be playing with that rule set.

2. At some point in the future I will know what the differences are however. And? It's a bit like owning CIV IV. I own CIV IV, I like and play CIV IV a lot. CIV V and soon, CIV VI will be out, but I cannot play them as I have a computer that is too old and warty - a bit like my good self. But you know what? I still like CIV IV and so the fact there is a different version out there matters not one jot.

So there you go.

Hear, hear.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 25
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 2/28/2017 7:18:14 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Check out the ADG blog
warspite1

warspite1

Latest news is that this won't now be ready until April 2017.
warspite1

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Looks like April is now October but there is some good news - see link below:

http://www.a-d-g.com.au/blogs/news/121506881-world-in-flames-collectors-edition

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 26
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 2/28/2017 9:44:51 PM   
RFalvo69

The mounted maps alone make it...

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 27
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 3/1/2017 6:03:24 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

The mounted maps alone make it...
warspite1

Yep

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 28
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 3/1/2017 6:47:45 PM   
Courtenay

Will the collector's edition be RAW 7 or RAW 8?

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 29
RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) ... - 3/1/2017 6:51:13 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

Will the collector's edition be RAW 7 or RAW 8?
warspite1

It has to be RAW 8. This is the last WIF they will ever do apparently. Finit. The End

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI