Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> AI? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI? - 3/4/2017 4:12:50 PM   
meechsem

Read somewhere the game didn't come with an ai. Is this true? I am wanting to buy the game but only interested on playing vs computer
Post #: 1
RE: AI? - 3/4/2017 4:18:08 PM   
davidachamberlain

quote:

ORIGINAL: meechsem

Read somewhere the game didn't come with an ai. Is this true? I am wanting to buy the game but only interested on playing vs computer

No, it does not. That will be a while in coming though. WIF is a very complicated game with many major powers and many units. It will be a very difficult AI development once it starts.

At this point, work is underway to make sure that basic rules, scenarios, and multiplayer (Netplay, in particular) are working well.

I would not expect to see an AI update in place before the end of this year.

Dave

(in reply to meechsem)
Post #: 2
RE: AI? - 3/4/2017 9:39:48 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: davidachamberlain

I would not expect to see an AI update in place before the end of this year.

Dave
That's an understatement.

Ronnie

(in reply to davidachamberlain)
Post #: 3
RE: AI? - 3/4/2017 11:24:34 PM   
Courtenay

I would not expect it before the end of the decade. There is a chance it will appear before the end of the next decade.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 4
RE: AI? - 3/5/2017 12:52:54 AM   
davidachamberlain

quote:

ORIGINAL: rkr1958
That's an understatement.

I am maybe a bit more optimistic. As I understand it, Steve has lots of material, but I also see this as an evolutionary (phased approach) solution. With a solid basis for a functioning game (sans Netplay), it might be possible to start with some simplistic scenarios, like Barbarossa and without any optional rules and a simplistic strategy, you can probably come up with something that gets things started.

However, I have a lot of reservation regarding a human challenging AI for one of the global scenarios. There are just too many moving parts to keep track of to effectively (and on a timely basis) challenge a human player. It might be somewhat possible to include a couple of simple and direct strategies that don't pay attention to all of the different factors, but I consider WIF to be an exponentially more complicated game to add AI to than chess (with only 2 sides, 7 types of pieces and 64 locations) when compared with WIF's 7 major powers, several thousand units and many thousands of hex's

I think it would make Deep Blue programming look like preschool.

Dave

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 5
RE: AI? - 3/5/2017 3:00:59 AM   
ashkpa

quote:

I am maybe a bit more optimistic. As I understand it, Steve has lots of material, but I also see this as an evolutionary (phased approach) solution. With a solid basis for a functioning game (sans Netplay), it might be possible to start with some simplistic scenarios, like Barbarossa and without any optional rules and a simplistic strategy, you can probably come up with something that gets things started.

However, I have a lot of reservation regarding a human challenging AI for one of the global scenarios. There are just too many moving parts to keep track of to effectively (and on a timely basis) challenge a human player. It might be somewhat possible to include a couple of simple and direct strategies that don't pay attention to all of the different factors, but I consider WIF to be an exponentially more complicated game to add AI to than chess (with only 2 sides, 7 types of pieces and 64 locations) when compared with WIF's 7 major powers, several thousand units and many thousands of hex's

I think it would make Deep Blue programming look like preschool.
I would be happy if we could just get the convoy "AI" to work "properly".

(in reply to davidachamberlain)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> AI? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI