Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

netplay disconnect

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> netplay disconnect Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
netplay disconnect - 3/7/2017 11:25:36 AM   
herbertx

So a friend and I tried playing a 2 player Netplay Barbarossa scenario using version 2.3.4.0 and hot patch 02.03.09.00. We completed the first 2 impulses without any problems. On the 3rd overall impulse of the first May/June turn after the German player chose to do a land action, I noticed as the Russian player that I wasn't seeing any German units moving. Turns out the connection was lost between our computers (but we both still had full internet connectivity and were conversing via Skype). We tried to restore the game many times choosing different earlier autosaves but were completely unsuccessful. The other player never again received a prompt to join the game in the Private WIF Netplay Forum. I was keeping track of the "entry numbers" of the various autosaves and confirmed that they matched for each of the attempts.
My questions are:
How do you restore a netplay game between 2 players when something like this happens? What are the steps?
Can the game be restored from either computer or just the one that initiated the game in the 1st place?
Can you even ever restore a game where the connection is dropped?
Can anything be done to avoid the connection loss?
Post #: 1
RE: netplay disconnect - 3/7/2017 5:08:11 PM   
Centuur

During netplay, autosaves are made. They are in the same folders as the autosaves for solitair play, with NP in front of the files name.

You restore these autosaves out of the form which appears when you restart the game (always close the game totally and restart from scratch).

All saved games for netplay have a next entry number, which you can find at the far left side. This number should the same for both players. If this isn't the case, you have to go to an earlier autosave to restore the game.

Both players have to restore the gamesave and have to log in to the netplay server. After the netplay server recognizes that both players are logged in, one of them gets a message, after which the game restores on both computers. I would advise you two make sure the restore procedure on both computers is totally finished, before you continue the game.

Peter

(in reply to herbertx)
Post #: 2
RE: netplay disconnect - 3/8/2017 3:52:47 AM   
paulderynck

Yes as Centuur indicates, that's how it's done. The pic below highlights where both players need to look for the matching Next Entry number. The Directory Choice in your case would likely be one of the Autosaves, probably the Autosave Axis directory. You would select "NP - Land Movement - USSR.GAM" and your opponent would select "NP - Land Movement - Ge.GAM" and ensure the Next Entry numbers match. If not, then you'd go back to Rail Movement, etc, continuing backwards through the Sequence of Play until you find one where they match.

Disconnects like that can happen, one of you should have got an error message. If possible, get a screen capture of the error message and post it here because Steve has recently made the error message numbers more granular in an attempt to track down the causes for this. But I know in our own case it happened at least once when my opponent's better half fired up a NetFlix movie and his end dropped. Too much bandwidth was required momentarily and the game suffered. Also wireless routers have been responsible for disconnects in several reported cases. Possibly this could be fixed by going into your router and setting minimum required bandwidths for various applications or various connected devices - if you know how to do that.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 3/8/2017 3:55:56 AM >

Paul

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> netplay disconnect Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI