Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Transparent smoke?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Transparent smoke? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Transparent smoke? - 5/17/2001 11:11:00 PM   
miharme

In the v. 5.01 I have problems with laying smoke with infantry and tanks. Simply put, the smoke seems to be transparent, the units can see through it. Laying another dose on the same hex usually helps. I haven't checked whether the smoke laid by the indirect artillery has the same problem.

Post #: 1
- 5/17/2001 11:14:00 PM   
kutalik

Yeah, I've noticed this also. Usually have to lay down smoke a second time to get the effect. Is this intentional? I'm not complaining if it is but it has definitely, definitely changed some of my infantry tactics as of late.

(in reply to miharme)
Post #: 2
- 5/17/2001 11:21:00 PM   
Don

I think it is intentional - we commented on this in testing but I think they wanted to get away from the "solid wall" effect. It is different, especially when you pop smoke and still get cut up! :)

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to miharme)
Post #: 3
- 5/18/2001 1:32:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Yes this goes back to version 4 - smokeis now an obscurant that makesit harder to spot through, the more of it there is. One infantry smoke wil not always completely blok LOS, but it does make it harder to spot units through it so the pro=per sequence is not to "move up, then throw smoke" but pop smoke and then move away". If the enemy knows you are advancing in the open, and you pop smoke and don't move, you typically get what you have coming ;)

(in reply to miharme)
Post #: 4
- 5/18/2001 6:50:00 AM   
Stukadawg

I like it this way. My fourth mission is taking place in full sunlight with a vision range of 42. But believe me, if you saw thw size of my smokescreens, you'd see it doesn't matter. BW, SD

(in reply to miharme)
Post #: 5
- 5/18/2001 6:24:00 PM   
panda124c

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: Yes this goes back to version 4 - smokeis now an obscurant that makesit harder to spot through, the more of it there is. One infantry smoke wil not always completely blok LOS, but it does make it harder to spot units through it so the pro=per sequence is not to "move up, then throw smoke" but pop smoke and then move away". If the enemy knows you are advancing in the open, and you pop smoke and don't move, you typically get what you have coming ;)
The other side of the coin is when a unit is forced to retreat and pops smoke it is always solid. I sometimes use this to create a wall of somke. I don't think this can be changed.

(in reply to miharme)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Transparent smoke? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI