Transparent smoke? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

miharme -> Transparent smoke? (5/17/2001 11:11:00 PM)

In the v. 5.01 I have problems with laying smoke with infantry and tanks. Simply put, the smoke seems to be transparent, the units can see through it. Laying another dose on the same hex usually helps. I haven't checked whether the smoke laid by the indirect artillery has the same problem.

kutalik -> (5/17/2001 11:14:00 PM)

Yeah, I've noticed this also. Usually have to lay down smoke a second time to get the effect. Is this intentional? I'm not complaining if it is but it has definitely, definitely changed some of my infantry tactics as of late.

Don -> (5/17/2001 11:21:00 PM)

I think it is intentional - we commented on this in testing but I think they wanted to get away from the "solid wall" effect. It is different, especially when you pop smoke and still get cut up! :)

Paul Vebber -> (5/18/2001 1:32:00 AM)

Yes this goes back to version 4 - smokeis now an obscurant that makesit harder to spot through, the more of it there is. One infantry smoke wil not always completely blok LOS, but it does make it harder to spot units through it so the pro=per sequence is not to "move up, then throw smoke" but pop smoke and then move away". If the enemy knows you are advancing in the open, and you pop smoke and don't move, you typically get what you have coming ;)

Stukadawg -> (5/18/2001 6:50:00 AM)

I like it this way. My fourth mission is taking place in full sunlight with a vision range of 42. But believe me, if you saw thw size of my smokescreens, you'd see it doesn't matter. BW, SD

panda124c -> (5/18/2001 6:24:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: Yes this goes back to version 4 - smokeis now an obscurant that makesit harder to spot through, the more of it there is. One infantry smoke wil not always completely blok LOS, but it does make it harder to spot units through it so the pro=per sequence is not to "move up, then throw smoke" but pop smoke and then move away". If the enemy knows you are advancing in the open, and you pop smoke and don't move, you typically get what you have coming ;)
The other side of the coin is when a unit is forced to retreat and pops smoke it is always solid. I sometimes use this to create a wall of somke. I don't think this can be changed.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI