Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/20/2017 6:07:58 PM   
warspite1

So what is Arsene Wenger playing at? Is he staying, going? What on earth is his mindset right now with so many supporters wanting him out and seemingly some of the players too........?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2401
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/20/2017 6:42:14 PM   
VPaulus

It's really weird, the decision of leaving or staying is entirely up to him. He will never be sacked.
Maybe he will be the last manager with this "power".

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2402
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/20/2017 6:46:03 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

It's really weird, the decision of leaving or staying is entirely up to him. He will never be sacked.
Maybe he will be the last manager with this "power".
warspite1

Indeed, I don't think anyone can rightly argue he hasn't deserved the right, but if I was an Arsenal fan (ugh!) then I would be a tad worried right now.

Mind you that said they will still finish above us come the end of the season

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 2403
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/20/2017 7:35:15 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Mind you that said they will still finish above us come the end of the season

Really doubt it. Even if you play your worst football is still better than the uninspired Arsenal.

Let's see how the teams will come after the break.

Anyway, I feel sorry for Wenger.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2404
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/20/2017 9:07:42 PM   
shunwick

The situation at Arsenal is really strange. It looks like Arsene is going and the only question is when..

Every Premier League Fan in 90 seconds ... Week 30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoZr_EP07ZA

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 3/20/2017 9:11:35 PM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 2405
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/22/2017 11:56:26 AM   
shunwick

Braintree 1 Woking 3

I mean, seriously, did they not think that Woking were going to fight like hell to avoid relegation? To go one-nil up and then think job done is almost criminal.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2406
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/22/2017 5:35:21 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

The situation at Arsenal is really strange. It looks like Arsene is going and the only question is when..

Every Premier League Fan in 90 seconds ... Week 30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoZr_EP07ZA

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

That was very funny.

I thought the Tottenham one was very true. Let's be honest, we all know that going into the last game of the season Spurs will be 4 points ahead of Arsenal and with a superior goal difference. Notwithstanding there are only 3 points for a win, we will still finish behind Arsenal

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2407
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/22/2017 6:03:35 PM   
VPaulus

Why are all the Tottenham fans always so negative?!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2408
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/22/2017 7:37:20 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

I take it that is a rhetorical question?

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 2409
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/22/2017 8:04:19 PM   
loki100

quote:

well, we do have our reasons

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 2410
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/22/2017 9:55:59 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

well, we do have our reasons

It's because Spurs fans have an inferiority complex....

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2411
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/24/2017 6:38:23 PM   
warspite1

Another reason for Spurs fans to fear the future. Pochettino has met with the soon-to-be-managerless-Barcelona chairman......

It would be so Spurs to lose him to Barcelona. Lloris has admitted he may not stay at the club - but definitely won't if Poch goes.... and then the floodgates start to crack and open.

I hate football, I hate supporting Spurs.....

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2412
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/25/2017 2:03:46 AM   
shunwick

quote:

Another reason for Spurs fans to fear the future. Pochettino has met with the soon-to-be-managerless-Barcelona chairman......

It would be so Spurs to lose him to Barcelona. Lloris has admitted he may not stay at the club - but definitely won't if Poch goes.... and then the floodgates start to crack and open.

Spurs are making light of the meeting saying it was nothing more than two old friends getting together for lunch...

And don't you have a new stadium to get excited about?

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 3/25/2017 2:04:54 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2413
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/25/2017 2:33:58 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

No. I am a Tottenham fan, I don't do excited. Instead I am waiting for the project to go wrong. We'll probably use the wrong steel and within days of the grand opening the west stand will probably collapse in on itself.

Meanwhile, given our record at Wembley, we will almost certainly get relegated next year......

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2414
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/25/2017 3:14:23 AM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

No. I am a Tottenham fan, I don't do excited. Instead I am waiting for the project to go wrong. We'll probably use the wrong steel and within days of the grand opening the west stand will probably collapse in on itself.

Meanwhile, given our record at Wembley, we will almost certainly get relegated next year......

Q: What is the difference between a Tottenham supporter and a baby?
A: The baby will stop whining after awhile.

source: http://www.jokes4us.com/sportsjokes/tottenhamhotspurjokes.html

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2415
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/25/2017 6:53:09 AM   
Orm

quote:

Two points.

1) No need to fear the future. If Pochettino goes then you will simply get another to replace him. And if you want a long time manager I recently read, in this thread, that Arsene will be available soon. So always look at the bright side of things.

2) No, you do not hate football. You love football. Otherwise you would not be bothered to be a bothered supporter.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2416
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/25/2017 1:24:30 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Q: What is the difference between a Tottenham supporter and a baby?
A: The baby will stop whining after awhile.

source: http://www.jokes4us.com/sportsjokes/tottenhamhotspurjokes.html

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

I wouldn't say we whine. We do however have an outlook on life similar to my hero below

Attachment (1)

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2417
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/25/2017 1:25:55 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Two points.

1) No need to fear the future. If Pochettino goes then you will simply get another to replace him. And if you want a long time manager I recently read, in this thread, that Arsene will be available soon. So always look at the bright side of things.

2) No, you do not hate football. You love football. Otherwise you would not be bothered to be a bothered supporter.
warspite1

1) I am a Tottenham fan. There is every reason to fear the future

2)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2418
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/25/2017 11:31:53 PM   
shunwick

Tranmere 1 Braintree 0

Not a bad performance from the lads but Tranmere (3rd in the table) deserved the victory and they are a better side. Braintree stay in 18th place but here is the kicker... we threw away 2 points away to Solihull when we were 3-0 up and another 3 points when we really should have beaten Woking at Home. If we had those 5 points we would be sitting pretty in 13th. We are away to York next Saturday. York are in 22nd with a two games in hand but nine points adrift. York have to go to Macclesfield on Tuesday and Macclefield are in 9th place.

Woking 2 Maidstone Utd 4 merely underlines how badly we messed up at home against Woking. Maidstone are 1 point behind Braintree with two games in hand.

Lincoln go back to the top on goal difference after beating Forest Green 3-1.

This is squeeky bum time for the National League. Six games remaining for Braintree:- York (22nd) away, home to Dover (7th), home to Guiesley (17th), away to Torquay (21st), home to Barrow (8th), and Aldershot away (currently 5th) is the last game of the season. Bottom four - 21, 22, 23, and 24 get relegated.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2419
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/26/2017 2:16:26 AM   
warspite1

Torquay United. So sad

Oh well, at least the mighty Pilgrims and the Grecians are possibly promotion candidates from League 2.

Plymouth Argyle and Exeter City

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/26/2017 3:31:36 AM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2420
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/26/2017 6:07:52 AM   
shunwick

Agreed about Torquay. And look at some of the other teams in the National League... Lincoln, Tranmere, Aldershot, Barrow, Macclesfield, Wrexham, Chester, Woking, Torquay, York, Southport ... and in the National League North we find Halifax, Stockport, and Darlington... they all have a long Football League history with Stockport County the longest, having played in the Football League for 110 years...

The National League is bloody tough to get out of unless you are dropping the other way... Lincoln were so desperate to get back to the Football League they even pinched our bloody manager... oh Danny Cowley we still love you mate...

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 3/26/2017 6:10:38 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2421
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/26/2017 2:37:35 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Agreed about Torquay. And look at some of the other teams in the National League... Lincoln, Tranmere, Aldershot, Barrow, Macclesfield, Wrexham, Chester, Woking, Torquay, York, Southport ... and in the National League North we find Halifax, Stockport, and Darlington... they all have a long Football League history with Stockport County the longest, having played in the Football League for 110 years...

The National League is bloody tough to get out of unless you are dropping the other way... Lincoln were so desperate to get back to the Football League they even pinched our bloody manager... oh Danny Cowley we still love you mate...

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

The first team I remember being voted out (remember the old days of re-election?) was Workington, and they were followed by Southport the following year. I think having to apply for re-election was then scrapped.

Trip down memory lane....
Do you remember the old Shoot football league tables you could collect at the start of the season? I liked Southport because of the different colours which stood out from the crowd - but soon disappeared when they went out of the league.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2422
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/26/2017 3:37:19 PM   
wings7

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

Steve & Robert, you Brits have your own lingo, can you explain to a Yank what you mean by this, "The National League is bloody tough to get out of unless you are dropping the other way", I have an idea but I don't want to guess or assume...thanks!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2423
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/26/2017 3:48:11 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

Steve & Robert, you Brits have your own lingo, can you explain to a Yank what you mean by this, "The National League is bloody tough to get out of unless you are dropping the other way", I have an idea but I don't want to guess or assume...thanks!

The national league is a semi-professional league one below the current Div 2 (Div 4 on Robert's chart). In theory there is a pyramid from the most localised leagues to a national semi-pro league to the football league so a team can move up/down all the way - in reality this is less likely.

I think Steve's point is its one step in the process where its easier to be relegated from than promoted out of.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2424
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/26/2017 3:49:35 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Mmmm big subject but essentially what we are talking about here is the football division directly below the professional leagues (currently called the National League but has had other names).

In English football (also open to Welsh clubs) there are four professional divisions (92 clubs) - the Premier League (20 clubs), the Championship (24), League One (24) and League Two (24).

The bottom two clubs in League 2 at the end of the season are relegated to the National League (and replaced with the winners of the National League + the team that wins the 4-team end of season play-off (contested by teams that finish 2-5 inc).

The clubs shunwick has listed are some of the teams that have spent many years in the football league (although personally I wouldn't put Macclesfield (a fairly recent addition) and Woking (never been in the football league) in that list). Its sad when long-standing names fall out. Some have come back - e.g. Bristol Rovers, Grimsby Town and Luton - but as per the list, others have not managed to do so and in some cases have fallen on hard times and gone out of business - or simply 'dropped the other way' i.e. been relegated to an even lower tier of the English football structure.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2425
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/26/2017 3:50:27 PM   
warspite1

Whoops beaten to the post by loki100!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2426
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/26/2017 4:30:17 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

The first team I remember being voted out (remember the old days of re-election?) was Workington, and they were followed by Southport the following year. I think having to apply for re-election was then scrapped.

Trip down memory lane....
Do you remember the old Shoot football league tables you could collect at the start of the season? I liked Southport because of the different colours which stood out from the crowd - but soon disappeared when they went out of the league.

OMG! That takes me back. Thems were the good old days.

Bill Shankly managed Workington from 54 to 55. They are 10th in the Northern Premier League at the moment or the Evo-Stick League Northern Premier as it is now known. Wimbledon replaced Workington in the Football League I think. Southport were replaced by Wigan... And yes Southport were the last team to go through the reelection process.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2427
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/26/2017 4:37:52 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Mmmm big subject but essentially what we are talking about here is the football division directly below the professional leagues (currently called the National League but has had other names).

In English football (also open to Welsh clubs) there are four professional divisions (92 clubs) - the Premier League (20 clubs), the Championship (24), League One (24) and League Two (24).

The bottom two clubs in League 2 at the end of the season are relegated to the National League (and replaced with the winners of the National League + the team that wins the 4-team end of season play-off (contested by teams that finish 2-5 inc).

The clubs shunwick has listed are some of the teams that have spent many years in the football league (although personally I wouldn't put Macclesfield (a fairly recent addition) and Woking (never been in the football league) in that list). Its sad when long-standing names fall out. Some have come back - e.g. Bristol Rovers, Grimsby Town and Luton - but as per the list, others have not managed to do so and in some cases have fallen on hard times and gone out of business - or simply 'dropped the other way' i.e. been relegated to an even lower tier of the English football structure.

You have a good point about Macclesfiel and it was Workington I was thinking about when I listed Woking...

I am old and crotchity...

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 3/26/2017 4:45:21 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2428
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/26/2017 4:45:51 PM   
shunwick

Vanarama National League Highlights Show - Matchday 40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQf1nZ3X8G0

And with an international break this weekend, here's what all the fans think about it... Every Premier League Fan in 90 Seconds....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTXj-ZO2nWY

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 3/27/2017 6:20:12 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2429
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/1/2017 7:52:20 PM   
warspite1

Hope little Harry Winks is okay. We lost three players to injury today and Harry's in particular looked like a nasty one, requiring oxygen and a stretcher......

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2430
Page:   <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI