Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Wars of Napoleon >> After Action Report >> RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 4/3/2016 8:22:11 AM   
warspite1

Well loki I must say I feel like the thickest man in the world right now. The manual gives me over 20 pages of Napoleonic timeline, but - unless I am completely missing the point - does not tell me what just happened in a battle.

The section on Naval Combat is precisely 5 lines long! Now I guess some of the preceding land combat info may apply, but not much if any.

Example:

- In the summary it looks like the British lose/damage one ship and the Spanish five (together with the number of men lost by each).

- From what you showed yesterday (nothing I could see in the manual) those ships may be lost or may be damaged. I now know I need to search the bottom right hand corner of the screen for information on this. Presumably there is no way to find out about the fate of the Spanish ships?

- (Still on the summary) Below these numbers are two more numbers each:

British (Spanish) - Heart (hit points?) = 17 (69) and a church on its side (Combat power?) = 417 (706)

What do these mean? What is the significance of these numbers here? Are they what the ships have left? Are they what happened during the battle? Because when I look at the detailed summary I see more hearts and churches (for each squadron), but these numbers do not seem to tally with what was in the previous screen (which I assume was some sort of total (of something) - although I don't know what of?).

- The report (seems to suggest) that there was only one round - although one Squadron was set on twice? Would this have been a function of the British having more squadrons? a lucky dice-roll? or don't I need to worry about this?

I really appreciate your help because this is like wading through treacle. First turn I get a decent naval battle - and so here is a great opportunity to look at what happened?, why? and what steps I now take in response, and instead I find the manual doesn't even give me basic information to read the battle reports!

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/3/2016 8:41:36 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 91
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 4/3/2016 8:51:36 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

You mean these?

warspite1

Yes but the question was simply to query why Keith, armed with stopping the French crossing the channel, is under order in defensive mode, to not attack.

Defense mode, IIRC, lowers cohesion and supply loss.

Hover your mouse over the symbols in the detailed battle screen for the tool tips.

warspite1

Yes but the question remains, why would a unit, designed to put itself in harms way if an invasion where coming, not do so?

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 92
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 4/3/2016 8:52:43 AM   
warspite1

Turn 2
January 8-15 1805

While I wait to see if loki can make some sense of those naval reports, lets see what else is going on at the start of the second turn.

I start with the top of the screen.

That's a nice touch, if we take a look at the victory points and hover over it, the program gives a summary of the changes for that turn.

So I started off with 3,750
I've then:
- lost 16 from regional decisions (these I assume are the decisions I made last turn to gain money, horses etc)*
- gained 10 from the naval battle (The Battle of El-Ferrol)
- gained 40 from objectives under control (I will have a look at the objectives screen as I do not know what I would have done to gain objectives last turn).

Total = 3,826

* The decisions cost 26 Victory Points (10 - Dublin, 15 - Liverpool and 1 - London). May be the Dublin one hasn't taken effect yet?

Similarly for money

Initial Amount £7,500

- Plus city income 377 (need to understand this)
- less Unit recruitment - 225 (that was the supply unit cost)
- Regional Decisions 500 (? I didn't think that cost any money?)
- less maintenance - 128 (need to understand this)
- Merchant ships 380 (need to understand this but the figure ties in with the money reported as being sent via the merchant fleet in the reports)

Total = 8,404

And for Conscripts

Starting with 300

- less 300 for unit recruitment (the supply unit)
- Changes from cities income 335 (the manual simply says "regular additions to your force pools will come from cities and regions you own)
- less 80 from maintenance (need to understand this)

Total = 255

Tons of War Supplies starts with 1000

- plus 197 from structures production (need to understand this)

Total = 1,197

Horses starts with 300

- plus 71 from structures production (as per above the manual simply says "regular additions to your force pools will come from cities and regions you own)

Engagement Points starts with 60

- plus changes from cities 14

Total = 74

Last but not least is National Morale which has gone up from 105 to 108 thanks to Admiral Calder's fine victory .

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/3/2016 3:27:50 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 93
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 4/3/2016 9:28:01 AM   
loki100

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You mean these?

warspite1

Yes but the question was simply to query why Keith, armed with stopping the French crossing the channel, is under order in defensive mode, to not attack.

Defense mode, IIRC, lowers cohesion and supply loss.

Hover your mouse over the symbols in the detailed battle screen for the tool tips.

warspite1

Yes but the question remains, why would a unit, designed to put itself in harms way if an invasion where coming, not do so?

I'll answer this one first as I am being attacked by hungry cats

its a trade off, if you sail around in defensive mode you can stay at sea (ie retain cohesion) much longer and have a reasonable chance of interception - your glorious Spanish victory is an eg of this.

if you go into attack mode you are looking for battle, so run up higher cohesion and can stay at sea for a shorter period of time (fleets must go to port to recover cohesion) but are much more likely to intercept.

I would think of attack mode as your ship is now fully prepared for combat, everything loose is tied down, you've dragged ammunition to the guns, spotters are on alert etc. In effect, its not a very convenient place to do lots of things you need to do on a routine patrol. In defend mode your ship is structured to make sailing around easier.

one reason the AGE system is worth putting up with the learning curve is that there are lots of this rock/paper/scissors style dilemnas. No right answers, you can always get caught out. In a recent WiA game I evaded a British squadron by using the green stance and the naval evade order - if he'd caught me my ships would have been sunk without response, but got away with it and had fun raiding his merchants.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 94
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 4/3/2016 9:40:22 AM   
loki100

quote:

Well loki I must say I feel like the thickest man in the world right now. The manual gives me over 20 pages of Napoleonic timeline, but - unless I am completely missing the point - does not tell me what just happened in a battle.

The section on Naval Combat is precisely 5 lines long! Now I guess some of the preceding land combat info may apply, but not much if any.

Example:

- In the summary it looks like the British lose/damage one ship and the Spanish five (together with the number of men lost by each).

- From what you showed yesterday (nothing I could see in the manual) those ships may be lost or may be damaged. I now know I need to search the bottom right hand corner of the screen for information on this. Presumably there is no way to find out about the fate of the Spanish ships?

British (Spanish) - Heart (hit points?) = 17 (69) and a church on its side (Combat power?) = 417 (706)

What do these mean? What is the significance of these numbers here? Are they what the ships have left? Are they what happened during the battle? Because when I look at the detailed summary I see more hearts and churches (for each squadron), but these numbers do not seem to tally with what was in the previous screen (which I assume was some sort of total (of something) - although I don't know what of?).

- The report (seems to suggest) that there was only one round - although one Squadron was set on twice? Would this have been a function of the British having more squadrons? a lucky dice-roll? or don't I need to worry about this?

I really appreciate your help because this is like wading through treacle. First turn I get a decent naval battle - and so here is a great opportunity to look at what happened?, why? and what steps I now take in response, and instead I find the manual doesn't even give me basic information to read the battle reports!

ok cats fed.

First you can play the AGE games and never look at the detailed reports - in a way the games are designed that way. You make the big choices - stack design, divisional structures, stances, movement and the game engine does the rest.

So in that battle there was indeed only one round. What happens is a sequence (more in the war room if you need it). First stacks (ie the units you move around) select a target. Second once the stacks are in combat the individual units (in this case the squadrons) select targets.

Due to how it works you can get 1-1 (quite likely), many - 1 (ouch for the 1) or none-1 (ie that stack or unit is left out). Combinations of luck, generalship and the underlying game engine will determine this.

Hit points are the 'elements' (ships, battalions, batteries) that you don't see on the map. The more of these in a unit the more likely that unit will be selected for combat. You are right - these are pre-combat.

Combat power is a rough and ready calculation of relative combat ... power. It multiplies elements by their average fighting effectiveness by their cohesion (so a stack low on cohesion will have very little power). This is often good enough. But some elements are better at some things than others. British infantry are better on the defense, French on the offense. So a British stack of say 500 (average) combat power might be only say 460 if attacking but 540 if defending. Equally some units are better if the battle comes to close quarters. But for the most part, if you see the enemy has more combat power then they are more powerful.

Combat power is also misleading as it will sometimes show units that can't contribute. Reason I think that Spanish fleet had transports is it had a very high notional power - your big summary battle report- but not in combat (I'd guess the difference was land units being transported). Also frontage comes into play - a big stack in constricted terrain can't deploy its power, so a smaller force can beat it.

You are right about the manual - in effect naval reports are treated as a sub-set of the land reports

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 95
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 4/3/2016 2:26:24 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

Example:

ok cats fed.

First you can play the AGE games and never look at the detailed reports - in a way the games are designed that way. You make the big choices - stack design, divisional structures, stances, movement and the game engine does the rest.

So in that battle there was indeed only one round. What happens is a sequence (more in the war room if you need it). First stacks (ie the units you move around) select a target. Second once the stacks are in combat the individual units (in this case the squadrons) select targets.

Due to how it works you can get 1-1 (quite likely), many - 1 (ouch for the 1) or none-1 (ie that stack or unit is left out). Combinations of luck, generalship and the underlying game engine will determine this.

Hit points are the 'elements' (ships, battalions, batteries) that you don't see on the map. The more of these in a unit the more likely that unit will be selected for combat. You are right - these are pre-combat.

Combat power is a rough and ready calculation of relative combat ... power. It multiplies elements by their average fighting effectiveness by their cohesion (so a stack low on cohesion will have very little power). This is often good enough. But some elements are better at some things than others. British infantry are better on the defense, French on the offense. So a British stack of say 500 (average) combat power might be only say 460 if attacking but 540 if defending. Equally some units are better if the battle comes to close quarters. But for the most part, if you see the enemy has more combat power then they are more powerful.

Combat power is also misleading as it will sometimes show units that can't contribute. Reason I think that Spanish fleet had transports is it had a very high notional power - your big summary battle report- but not in combat (I'd guess the difference was land units being transported). Also frontage comes into play - a big stack in constricted terrain can't deploy its power, so a smaller force can beat it.

You are right about the manual - in effect naval reports are treated as a sub-set of the land reports
warspite1

Okay thanks - I'll come back to this when I look at what to do with Calder's force.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 96
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 4/3/2016 2:29:58 PM   
warspite1

Turn 2
January 8-15 1805

Having checked the top of the screen, let's move back to the messages in the bottom right hand corner. There seem to be a few more this time!

If we look firstly at the scripted events - there's 108 of the ******! although when I first click there are 15??? The moment I start scrolling the 15 disappears and I get 108..... Same thing happens with the other subjects. So if I click on Battle, Retreats and Sieges I get 9 - but these disappear to show 108 as soon as I scroll. It looks like there are 108 messages across the 6 subjects so I won't worry too much about this peculiarity. EDIT This 108 seems to have now turned into 110!!! What is going on here?

Europe appears to be a hot-bed of discontent all of a sudden. No doubt whipped up by Corporal Short-arse. Who does he think he is?

- Bavaria have attacked our ally Hannover
- Holland does the same and declared war against us by extension
- So has Berg (wherever the hell that is)
- Oh and so has Switzerland?? Anyone else?
- Of course, Italy too

[looks at the camera] Well they weren't very nice were they boys and girls?

In other (related news)

- the next bunch of announcements are confirming my diplomatic efforts last turn
- Russia, The Turks, Morocco have all got Casus Belli against various countries....
- ... oh and so have Algeria, Tripolitania, Persia, Armenia, Georgia and the Holy Roman Empire. Come on guys, can't we all just get along?
- As far as I know these are just Casus Belli and have not been acted upon.

Are the French using Horsemeat in their restuarants?

- In various regions the French have seized horses
- Volunteers have been spotted at the recruiting depots in Rouen

Back to Blighty and there is news of my attempts to 'get stuff' last turn.

- It mentions "A few Great Britain smugglers showing great patriotism bring much needed war material in region Nantes. I assume that means my play was successful? Well there's no evidence of that this turn so maybe next.
- "Requisitions by Great Britain soldiers are completed in region London". I did not ask for more soldiers so maybe this is just normal turn stuff and included in the 255.
- Both the attempts in Liverpool and Dublin seem to be coming off - or at least have been mentioned here.

A Brave New World in Russia

- lots of announcements pertaining to Russia
- land developments, horses and volunteers
- They raise new taxes - Engagement Points to money
- Austria and Prussia too

Trade and Transport

- My merchant marine are doing their stuff
- Transport ships - many of the routes have much less supply than the maximum going through (I will need to understand why that is)
- Merchant fleets have delivered 380 money

Military

- 17 replacements received from reserve units. Prior to this message there were numerous messages stating conscripts and artillery received. Presumably not 17 individuals? (I will need to understand this)

Spain

- The Battle of El Ferrol has been reported but
- Our patrols have failed to locate the Ardilla Squadron in the Carribean Sea 13% chance of success - Need to look at this

France

- The French have sent money and supplies to Spain
- They have raised more taxes.

- There are three messages stating that a new Government option is available. For who? The French? Nothing happens when I click on this anyway. There is similarly duplicated messages for National Military Modifier and National Government Modifier. I will check F3 and F4 later.

Tea and Medals!

- Arthur Wellesley (who the hell is he?) and John Moore are promotable for sterling work in the Empire. I promote them both. No idea why but seems like a good idea.
- Admiral Calder gets a new seniority (4) for smacking the Spanish fleet

Stuff in red - Ooohhh it must be important....

- I get a message marked 'Tallyrand' but is just a Times headline telling me that he is head of French foreign affairs

- Another marked Bank of England. The Bank will provide financial benefits twice per annum (March and September) and the amount is linked to the 'Bank of England' national modifier?

- Ditto for The Honourable East India Company

- General Wellesley (see Newspaper clipping below). Interesting choice.

- The British Raj. Units are locked and if holdings there are maintained then VP's will accrue - as they will for further regions.

More Red Stuff

- National Modifiers. GB is under the influence of 58 National Modifiers (Need to understand this)
- We have 1 Army, 0 Corps and 7 Divisions

I already know the latter and these two messages are repeated three times?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/3/2016 6:17:42 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 97
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 4/3/2016 3:25:11 PM   
loki100

good to see Europe ablaze ..

going back to your turn overview, few comments that might help. In general this is why I'd advise against doing too much on T1, esp with a Jan 1805 start.

Money - cities produce money, there is a relationship between development level, size and structures. Your regional decision netted you £500 - given your current cash surplus you might have held off on this but it does no harm. Maintenance is the regular cost of your existing units - they also demand a share of your conscripts (think of a few retire and the number of village idiots who manage to self-harm). Both are good reasons to be cautious about adding too much to your army till you have a decent stock of trained replacements. Merchant ships pull in money from the merchant trade boxes. Buying new merchants is almost always a good idea as they will pay for themselves. Keeping the evil Corsican out of the trade boxes is equally a good idea (you don't want to share do you?). Regular sources of money doesn't arrive every turn, so you need to store some of each allocation.

Conscripts - thing to watch here is they don't turn up every turn. Off the top of my head I forget if it is monthly or six weekly, so that regular batch from the cities has to last you a while.

War supplies similar to money but come from some structures - again development level plays a role here

VPs - you gain for cities/objectives you already hold (I think its the F10 tab), in addition you get one off gains/losses if you take something important. Worth remembering the target province list is asymetric - ie your targets are not everyone else's - its one way that states are given very different goals. I've messed around a bit with Austria and once you've got the Corsican Ogre safely married away, the Balkans do rather take your eye. Worth remembering for your coalition building activities.

EPs - are a key in game currency, you'll need for many national decisions and to play some cards

NM - tends to 100 (ie it adapts over time back to the mean unless you hold someone's capital). The lower it is, the worse an army will fight and vice-versa. Also affects will to carry on the war. UK and France can't make peace but you can force France to surrender (and for this you really need to be partying in Paris).

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 98
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 4/4/2016 7:41:16 AM   
warspite1

A few questions please on fleets and supply and 'stuff'.

What do players do when playing as the British and try to maintain a blockade? Do they:

a) set up a rotation system, creating more, but smaller fleets, and/or
b) sail transport squadrons to the blockading fleets? If the latter, presumably they themselves are going to need a protective fleet.

c) can warships enter the circles with the merchant fleets in and try and find and sink enemy ships?

d) also, with Fog of War on, to what extent can the French and Spanish in port see the enemy at sea?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 99
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 4/4/2016 8:45:43 AM   
warspite1

Turn 2
January 8-15 1805

As advised by Loki I decide not to make any purchases this turn - and I also do not make any diplomatic moves pending seeing what happens with my initial forays overseas.

Pending sage advice on the naval niceties above, what I do attempt to do is get Calder back to the UK following his victory, and to achieve this I send Admiral Jervis to Finistere (from Pointe du Raz) and send Admiral Gardiner (from Portsmouth) to replace him. Gardiner fails to take up station but will make it next turn. Meanwhile Calder eschews sailing up the Channel coast and instead heads for Portsmouth - in his weakened state - via Cherbourg! Let's hope there are no nasty surprises waiting there..... I also move Gambier to sea in the Caribbean in response to recent Spanish aggression. How dare the Spanish sail in Mare Nostrum!

As a result of these manoeuvrings, nothing actually happened (although there is a Spanish Fleet at sea taunting Horatio). I shall read the reports and see what's what....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/4/2016 8:50:23 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 100
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 4/4/2016 9:13:45 AM   
loki100

quote:

A few questions please on fleets and supply and 'stuff'.

What do players do when playing as the British and try to maintain a blockade? Do they:

a) set up a rotation system, creating more, but smaller fleets, and/or
b) sail transport squadrons to the blockading fleets? If the latter, presumably they themselves are going to need a protective fleet.

c) can warships enter the circles with the merchant fleets in and try and find and sink enemy ships?

d) also, with Fog of War on, to what extent can the French and Spanish in port see the enemy at sea?

a), yes but you can maintain at sea supply using (b), but sooner or later you will run out of cohesion, at that stage you need to go to port. Cohesion < 100% has a very direct effect on combat effectiveness, so that is probably the real constraint for say a blockade off N France. Resupply is a bit more tricky the further you are from your main ports

b) depends, is no bad idea as they are quite a prize for your opponent but it depends. If you are moving supply ships from southern english ports to a fleet off Brittany or in the Channel (or La Manche) then its probably pretty safe

edit: ships in the green stance and with the evade special order are very hard to pin down, so if you are moving unescorted transports use this combination

c) yes, but its a challenge. Your best use (as the British) is to commit your ships to escort your convoys. These are what the French, Spanish, ungrateful Americans (post-1812) will be hunting. Remember that all the problems of resupply and cohesion apply to your enemy so raiding is hard to sustain - but also hard to stop

d) quite a lot. The key variables are detect/evade scores modified by terrain and weather. Of course you can use this as a trap - a weak (beatable) squadron immediately off shore and a much stronger one moving into the province later in the turn. This might lure the enemy into battle. Of course it might also lose you the smaller fleet and you find the enemy has slipped out to sea by the time the big fleet arrives - the key concept of 'march to the sound of the guns' doesn't apply at sea

edit: there are three levels to the detection routine:

1) you can see the counter and bring it to battle (subject to if you have set a combat delay)
2) you can see the counter but can't pin them down (so the jolly Spanish sailors being rude to the noble Horatio is a good eg)
3) sheer screaming frustration - you know they are there but can't even see the counter. This will mostly happen if the enemy is tribal, partisans or light raiders (eg cossacks) in poorly developed (or very closed) terrain. The only clue is you lose/don't gain military control - this matters as this can close off your supply lines.

Best solution is to make sure you use units/commanders with high detect traits and hope. Of course a French commander who invades Russia, or Spain after it turns against them, is going to face real challenges. One of the things that the AGE game system does very well is to capture the problems of asymetric warfare

< Message edited by loki100 -- 4/4/2016 11:54:12 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 101
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 4/5/2016 7:44:06 PM   
warspite1

Turn 3
January 16-21 1805

Okay lets start off with a review of the announcements. There are only 74 this time - 34 fewer than before. [Edit: strangely, like the previous turn, if I come out of the game and then go back in, the number of announcements changes - the number has now increased to 76]

Russia appears to have agreed to the State visit. Relations moves from 10 to 11.

Lets see what the manual says:
- State visits do much to improve diplomatic ties
- If accepted (which it was) it lasts several turns and provides a random 1-5 relationship bonus at the end. So the increase from 10 to 11 is not the end bonus??
- Once the effects are over I must wait 12 turns before arranging another.

Both Austria and Prussia have agreed to a coalition! Husssah! (although relations have dipped slightly with both). Saxony becomes our ally

Russia and Austria have agreed mutual supply.

Austrians, Spanish and Ottomans have raised taxes (EP to Money)

Sweden and Egypt decline a state visit. Miserable bunch, but the US have agreed.

Interestingly Spain has sought peace. I must go to the diplomacy screen to answer it. Spain will cede the region of Ronda - I thought that was in Wales? I have no idea where Ronda is but I decide to accept the proposal. I want the Little Corporal to attack Spain.

Notification received of promotions for Wellesley (General) and Moore (Marshal).

Ah right - here is some news on the previous naval manoeuvrings:
- The Portsmouth Squadron was delayed 2 days in port before moving (that at least explains why the fleet was so slow).

My volunteers have arrived in Liverpool and Dublin. Number not increased so maybe there is a delay while they turn into troops from raw recruits.

Russia is doing a whole lot of developing

French volunteers are coming on tap in a few regions and Austria is doing some too.

Prussia and Spain are seizing horses, requisitioning etc etc.

My transport shipping continues to transport supply points [Need to look at this - where and why?] My fleets have delivered 381 money (similar to last time) and 0 war supply.

My units in the field have received 1 replacement from our reserve units [Need to understand this - how does this differ from conscripts?]

Confirmation that all naval patrols failed to find anyone and the various fleets that have taken up station. Although it also states that the Mediterranean Fleet engaged the Spanish at Trafalgar???

A new National Government Modifier is available F4?

Merchant Fleets 1 and 2 suffer 1 hit from weather and exhaustion

Atlantic Fleet (12), Jamaica Squadron (2) and Channel Fleet (4) all suffer similarly

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/6/2016 6:56:19 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 102
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 4/5/2016 9:15:25 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

My volunteers have arrived in Liverpool [will need to check this with the conscripts tab??] Same in Dublin. Maybe there is a delay while they turn into troops from raw recruits.

They'll show up at the conscript pool once the decision is done.

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 4/5/2016 9:17:58 PM >

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 103
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 4/6/2016 7:04:27 PM   
warspite1

Turn 3
January 16-21 1805

Right lets look at the top left buttons.

Diplomacy: I try and get in the Danes good books by proposing a state visit.

I take no further action. Lets see what happens with the Spanish and the peace proposal.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 104
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 4/6/2016 7:19:35 PM   
warspite1

Turn 4
January 22-31 1805

The AI went a bit quick so I did not fully see what happened. They said Davout's(?) Corps was sent to Boulogne, and there is a Dutch Fleet in the Pas de Calais. I might try something offensive with Admiral Keith if his Cohesion is okay.

But first, what about the other naval units? Admirals Jervis and Gardiner are now on station. Admiral Calder is at Portsmouth. I will make a note of the fleet stats and see how quickly the squadrons repair cohesion.

I seem to have trouble manoeuvring the units in port. Calder' fleet now has a load of troops mixed with it? What have I done - are these on board ship?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/6/2016 7:26:51 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 105
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 4/6/2016 8:06:27 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

I seem to have trouble manoeuvring the units in port. Calder' fleet now has a load of troops mixed with it? What have I done - are these on board ship?

Yes.

Chose the land units and drag them to land.

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 4/6/2016 8:08:00 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 106
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 4/6/2016 8:23:53 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Yes.

Chose the land units and drag them to land.
warspite1

Whoops.... I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 107
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 4/27/2016 8:28:33 PM   
warspite1

So the new patch is not compatible with existing games?

That's disappointing.....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 108
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 4/27/2016 11:05:35 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

Well, you're not that far in. :)

I'd restart mine even though it's Turn 37.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 109
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 5/12/2016 9:07:15 PM   
Orm

quote:

So did you get a new game going?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 110
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 5/12/2016 9:30:27 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

So did you get a new game going?
warspite1

Two issues:

1. Just as I got this going I got the chance of a MWIF 4-player. MWIF HAD to take preference for obvious reasons.

2. I was going to keep this going then heard there was a new version and it was not compatible.

So while I have every intention of getting this up and running again - I love this period of history so much - I need to get MWIF done and the Jutland thread finished.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 111
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 5/12/2016 11:39:58 PM   
Aurelian

Well,mine is still going....

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 5/12/2016 11:41:45 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 112
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 5/13/2016 10:37:05 AM   
ess1

No problem with patch so far with pbem I am in.

@Warspite enjoying your commentary. Looking forward to your next one.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 113
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 4/16/2017 4:47:45 AM   
ess1

Warspite,

Enjoyed so much and missing you.

best,
Selfish from Newport

(in reply to ess1)
Post #: 114
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Wars of Napoleon >> After Action Report >> RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI