Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  82 83 [84] 85 86   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/22/2017 7:02:51 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

This is for those of you who follow the game known as American Football.

There are 4, count'em, 4 games in London this season:

-- Sept. 24, Ravens vs. Jaguars at Wembley Stadium (9:30 a.m. ET)
-- Oct. 1, Saints vs. Dolphins at Wembley Stadium (9:30 a.m. ET)
-- Oct. 22, Cardinals vs. Rams at Twickenham Stadium (1 p.m. ET)
-- Oct. 29, Vikings vs. Browns at Twickenham Stadium (9:30 a.m. ET)

Times are USA Eastern time.

Hopefully the turf won't be too badly torn up by the uncouth colonial savages.

We now return you to your regular thread.

Too bad I do not have vacation then, would have gone to the UK for that.
I am good at picking teams that will make you suffer as a fan though

It is unfortunate that the NFL keeps sending bad/average teams to London; while Mexico City gets the Patriots vs Raiders marquee match up.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2491
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/22/2017 7:37:07 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Zorch, what are exactly doing these four American football teams in London? They play, I assume, but what competition? Or is this just some sort of exhibition?

I never watched a full game of this sport.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2492
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/22/2017 9:12:52 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Zorch, what are exactly doing these four American football teams in London? They play, I assume, but what competition? Or is this just some sort of exhibition?

I never watched a full game of this sport.

It is a regular season game for these teams. The NFL season consists of 16 games in a 17 week period. At the end of which, 12 of the 32 teams qualify for the playoffs that lead to the Super Bowl in February. Games are mostly on Sunday.

The teams that play in London get their bye week after playing in London, so that the travel doesn't disadvantage them.

< Message edited by Zorch -- 4/22/2017 9:30:25 PM >

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 2493
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/22/2017 9:39:18 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

It is a regular season game for these teams. The NFL season consists of 16 games in a 17 week period.

I see. This nomadism sounds really weird but I guess they are trying to sell the sport abroad.

In football (soccer that is), your "home" or stadium is really important. In football mythology, supporters like to think they are sacred fortresses that the enemy horde or tribe should never storm It's your soul, your HQ.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2494
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/23/2017 2:15:07 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

Well good luck to Partick Thistle - but with regard to Tottenham, I think it is quite simple. We have to play Arsenal and Manchester United + a recovering Crystal Palace and not least, that perenial bogey team for us West Ham United.

So I think that even in the spectacularly unlikely event that Chelsea collapse (have you seen the dross they play in 5 of their last 6 games?) then we still wouldn't be able to bridge the gap.

I think a Europa League spot for us is secure though.......and maybe even scrape a Champions League place....possibly.

I can't actually get used to the idea that (a) it will take a momumental collapse for Spurs not to make the CL and (b) even then we will finish above Arsenal ... these things seem wrong.

warspite1

LOL. I understand. As humans we need our anchor points, our certainties, our rocks on which we can rely as life throws up its myriad variables on a daily basis. Arsenal finishing above us and in the top 4, while Spurs are well.... Spursy, are two of those anchors.

Mind you, as much as I may wish for a Chelsea collapse, I didn't want Chelsea to lose yesterday. Now all of a sudden we are favourites for the FA Cup semi-final! Harry Kane is apparently giving it the large about us beating them in the Semi-Final and this will lead to Chelsea mucking up their run-in....

Can we all just calm down please? Chelsea will beat us next week - and quite comfortably - as the Spursy team that took to the field in October and November will turn up at Wembley, and then Crystal Palace will take a point off us, Manchester United will beat us - as will West Ham and Arsenal - and we then have the usual nervy, will they-won't they get a Champions League spot end to the season.

#predictableandspursy
warspite1

....and so it starts....

To be fair, I think Mauricio Pochettino needs to take this one on the chin. Tactically he played a stinker and that is not said with hindsight.

We have a successful team, a successful set-up, but in our biggest game for years, the manager decides to play Son as a wing back.....

No one in the papers or on TV seems to be pointing out that at 2-2 we had a definite penalty either or that, once again, the referee (remember 2012?) seems to be - shall we say - not exactly Spurs friendly. How many fouls did Alonso get away with before he was finally booked? But these gripes about the referee are nothing compared to the self-inflicted wound of team selection....

So Chelsea will beat Southampton on Tuesday - gap back to 7 - and then at best we will draw with Palace (although after that, I revise my prediction to a probable Tottenham defeat instead).

Europa League here we come and player exodus begins in the early summer.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2495
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/23/2017 9:09:21 AM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

It is a regular season game for these teams. The NFL season consists of 16 games in a 17 week period.

I see. This nomadism sounds really weird but I guess they are trying to sell the sport abroad.

In football (soccer that is), your "home" or stadium is really important. In football mythology, supporters like to think they are sacred fortresses that the enemy horde or tribe should never storm It's your soul, your HQ.

Not so in America, where home advantage seems less important. American teams move from city to city in search of better $$$.

The NFL would like to have a franchise in London. That would mean 8 home games, plus pre-season and possible playoffs.
Are there any good nicknames not already taken? 'The London Bridges' of the NFL?

Post #: 2496
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/23/2017 9:37:14 AM   
loki100

quote:

....and so it starts....

To be fair, I think Mauricio Pochettino needs to take this one on the chin. Tactically he played a stinker and that is not said with hindsight.

We have a successful team, a successful set-up, but in our biggest game for years, the manager decides to play Son as a wing back.....

No one in the papers or on TV seems to be pointing out that at 2-2 we had a definite penalty either or that, once again, the referee (remember 2012?) seems to be - shall we say - not exactly Spurs friendly. How many fouls did Alonso get away with before he was finally booked? But these gripes about the referee are nothing compared to the self-inflicted wound of team selection....

So Chelsea will beat Southampton on Tuesday - gap back to 7 - and then at best we will draw with Palace (although after that, I revise my prediction to a probable Tottenham defeat instead).

Europa League here we come and player exodus begins in the early summer.

Think you are being a bit depressed (ok these things are easier to cope with living in Glasgow where it was 'just a match'). You are right about Son, bad decision, even if Walker needed a break that was not the game to do it in. Lloris was unusually poor - for three of their goals you could fault him and that is unusual when you think of the number of times he has saved Spurs. The ref was far too accepting of Chelsea's model of tackling just short of a booking - and rotating this aroud the team. One of them could have easily walked for persistent fouling with a different referee. For me, not sure that Dele was actually fouled in the penalty area - it looked like a very well timed interception.

In favour - well 2 Spurs goals that speak volumes as to the ability to create and innovate on the pitch. The sort of thing that can unlock almost any defense. Also that the mid-hour of the game Spurs controlled and put them under the sort of pressure that very few teams will be able to cope with. Unfortunately yesterday Chelsea did.

The thing I'd take from yesterday is our normal 12-14 players are very good, especially as a team but below that there are gaps - some of it maybe down to potential but Spurs can't afford the sort of wages to attract notionally top players to act as a reserve. So we need to manage it and mostly this season have done so. One other good thing yesterday was there was no repeat of the loss of discipline that happened last season when a key game slipped away?

As to the rest of the season, Palace and West Ham away are horrible games to face. One needs the pts, the other really do not like Spurs. But neither could cope with the intensity of football that Spurs produced yesterday. As to the home games, well Mourinho I guess will come for a 0-0 with no subtlety - so can Spurs poke that open? The Arsenal game, god knows. They maybe demoralised or so fired up that we don't cope - I'd have that one down as a clear win (just no idea who gets the win).

So out of the six games, I can't see Spurs getting less than 8 pts - in other words at least 3rd given our goal difference. Its not impossible they win them all or 4 wins and 2 draws - in either case probably not enough. But I can't manage despondency to be honest.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2497
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/23/2017 10:42:42 AM   
warspite1

Hope truly is a killer. Yes I am a little down to say the least. In the semi-final of 1993 it was one of those games where one goal would settle it - sadly it fell to Arsenal. In 1995 we were pathetic and absolutely steam rollered by an Everton centre forward that we couldn't live with (although everyone else could it seems).

In 1999 we were just desperately unlucky. Very strange in a football match to have two identical incidents either end of the pitch - and I mean identical. Our penalty was refused but Newcastle's was given for exactly the same handball. In 2001 we were totally outclassed by an Arsenal side that had totally left us behind in football terms.

In 2010 we managed to lose to Portsmouth. Yes. Portsmouth. I cannot even begin to explain that nonsense. In 2012 we were probably going to lose anyway but Martin Atkinson (sound familiar) decided that yes, he could see through people and gave a goal that never was. In refereeing its simple - you cannot give what you don't see i.e. you can't guess. Well either Atkinson guessed or he has super powers to see through matter. Great.

Then came yesterday and a game that really we could have won (should have won on possession) but managed as is the Spursey way, to lose it.

As shown in the six previous losses, football is a funny game and you don't have to be the best to win always. But the thing that really worries me in all this was Pochettino's tactical incompetence. If he was really thinking of this option then why not try it out beforehand?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/04/22/tottenham-yet-hope-kills/

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/23/2017 10:43:01 AM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2498
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/23/2017 4:54:12 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm
Mourinho 2 - 0 Conte

More like

Mourinho 5th place - Top of the league Conte

He better wins the UEFA Europa League (= Champions League via a service door).
warspite1

So Mourinho's first season in England saw two trophies, including Chelsea's first League Championship for 50 years.

Guardiola takes over at Manchester City and ........

This football lark is not as easy as some would believe. Guardiola failed at Bayern and his start at Manchester City has not exactly been stellar.

Interestingly, despite you saying that he needs to win the Europa League for a Champions League spot, Mourinho's United are now just one point behind City...

Interesting battle for the three remaining Champions League spots:

2. Spursey 32 - 71
3. Liverpool 34* - 66
4. Man City 32 - 64
5. Man Utd 32 - 63
7. Arsenal 31 - 57

We'll ignore Everton in 6th as they have played 34 games for their 58 points. * If Liverpool don't beat Palace at home today - their 34th game - they could be overhauled by City, United and Arsenal.

EDIT: My word - Liverpool not only didn't beat Palace, they lost to them. Shocker!

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/23/2017 6:01:58 PM >

Post #: 2499
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/23/2017 7:11:23 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

Warspite
Guardiola failed at Bayern and his start at Manchester City has not exactly been stellar.

But you never mentioned that Mourinho also failed because he did not win the Champions League with a football giant: Real Madrid. He missed the 3 chances he had. And he REALLY was supposed to win it...

Weird omission.

Besides, let's not resurrect this argument... again. Well, if others want to add something...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2500
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/23/2017 7:19:36 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Warspite
Guardiola failed at Bayern and his start at Manchester City has not exactly been stellar.

But you never mentioned that Mourinho also failed because he did not win the Champions League with a football giant: Real Madrid. He missed the 3 chances he had. And he REALLY was supposed to win it...

Weird omission.

Besides, let's not resurrect this argument... again. Well, if others want to add something...
warspite1

No omission, it's a fact Mourinho was never able to bring the Champions League to Madrid and we've discussed this. But as part of that debate, Guardiola was touted as being so much better than Mourinho. Well that is not proving to the case at present. Why did I mention it?

Please see post 2457. It was you who re-ignited the anti Jose crusade. I am more than happy to knock it on the head, but I will comment if he continues to be brought up.

So do we make Jose Mourinho out of bounds on this thread?

Post #: 2501
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/23/2017 7:35:16 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

Of course not.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2502
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/23/2017 7:40:15 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

Interestingly, despite you saying that he needs to win the Europa League for a Champions League spot, Mourinho's United are now just one point behind City...

Don't tell me a CL spot will be an Alamein / Stalingrad / Midway amazing thing

Post #: 2503
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/23/2017 7:41:23 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Of course not.

warspite1

Thought not

Post #: 2504
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/23/2017 7:46:13 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Don't tell me a CL spot will be an Alamein / Stalingrad / Midway amazing thing
warspite1

Now that is funny!

Of course not - after all, as we know, a top 4 spot in England is a piece of cake with Manchester United. Moyes/Giggs did it..... er sorry no they didn't... well van Gaal did it.... er no he didn't either....

Manchester United, after two seasons of poor management where some players of dubious quality were brought in for huge money, needed turning around. Jose is doing that it seems. One trophy done, another very possible, as is a Champions League place.

Post #: 2505
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/23/2017 7:49:22 PM   
warspite1

...and yes, Conte is achieving with a squad that Jose built (and yes I think Conte is one brilliant manager too).

Just like with Ranieri at Leicester, when players - with the money and power they have these days - turn on a manager, there is only one winner. Jose won a league title with Chelsea and then, for what ever reason, the players stopped playing for him. That says more about them than it does Jose.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2506
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/23/2017 9:41:11 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

...and yes, Conte is achieving with a squad that Jose built (and yes I think Conte is one brilliant manager too).

Just like with Ranieri at Leicester, when players - with the money and power they have these days - turn on a manager, there is only one winner. Jose won a league title with Chelsea and then, for what ever reason, the players stopped playing for him. That says more about them than it does Jose.

+1

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2507
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/23/2017 11:57:25 PM   
shunwick

Vanarama National League Highlights Show | Matchday 45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jsreGs1Ijg

EVERY PREMIER LEAGUE FAN IN 90 SECONDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP5m608TXBo

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 4/24/2017 5:03:12 PM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 2508
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/24/2017 6:03:26 PM   
Orm

quote:

You said it.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2509
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/24/2017 6:21:27 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Vanarama National League Highlights Show | Matchday 45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jsreGs1Ijg

EVERY PREMIER LEAGUE FAN IN 90 SECONDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP5m608TXBo

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Bournemouth and Hull continue to be the stand-outs

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2510
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/25/2017 11:34:05 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

for what ever reason, the players stopped playing for him. That says more about them than it does Jose.

In every single job, if employees are not doing their job, it's the boss' fault. He allowed this to happen. Excuses, excuses and yet more excuses.

Besides, why this sudden naïveté? It's always the same old story with Jose. 1. two seasons: park the bus; 2. third season: crash the bus.

AND

Après moi le déluge

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 4/25/2017 11:35:57 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2511
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/25/2017 4:09:41 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

for what ever reason, the players stopped playing for him. That says more about them than it does Jose.

In every single job, if employees are not doing their job, it's the boss' fault. He allowed this to happen. Excuses, excuses and yet more excuses.

Besides, why this sudden naïveté? It's always the same old story with Jose. 1. two seasons: park the bus; 2. third season: crash the bus.

AND

Après moi le déluge
warspite1

No deluge from me - we just come from completely opposite ends of the spectrum - and there is certainly no naivety either.

Name me 500 top European clubs and I will name you 500 that either want Jose or wanted him at one point.

You seem to think that two years park the bus one year crash the bus is a problem? You honestly think for Inter Milan its a problem? Yeah, thank goodness they hired Benitez and everyone since - how many Champions League wins is that?? You think that Porto wished to god they'd never hired him? Of course they do - after all they are basking in all the Champions League success since..... You think that Abramovich rues the day he ever hired the man that kick started Chelsea's rise to become one of the power houses of English football?

You have your opinion and I have mine - and we are both football lovers - but I have to say that I have no idea where you're coming from.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/25/2017 4:25:45 PM >

Post #: 2512
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/25/2017 5:56:40 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

I have to say that I have no idea where you're coming from.

I was clearly replying your comment or "players let me down" theory.

This is not the first time -and won't be the last- this theory is mentioned (other coaches, teams or even past eras). The Ranieri affair ie sacking involved this theory too. True or false, who really knows?

The thing is I don't believe a single word Jose has to say. He's proven countless times that he is both ruthless and dishonest. Ranieri on the other hand I might believe him -his behaviour is "normal"

So some journalist writes a piece about this theory. Because Jose said it in the first place? Does that piece make the theory authentic? Not to me.

What I believe is that Jose inevitably brings with him the tools that doom his teams. The famous siege mentality and of course the assorted endless antics, humiliations and scandals.

Three years is all he needs apparently: bingo! The human beings at his disposal are utterly worn out after this ordeal. And then these exhausted players let him down... oh well.

This is credible. Conspiracy theories, I don't buy them, thank you.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2513
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/25/2017 6:07:47 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

I have to say that I have no idea where you're coming from.

I was clearly replying your comment or "players let me down" theory.

This is not the first time -and won't be the last- this theory is mentioned (other coaches, teams or even past eras). The Ranieri affair ie sacking involved this theory too. True or false, who really knows?

The thing is I don't believe a single word Jose has to say. He's proven countless times that he is both ruthless and dishonest. Ranieri on the other hand I might believe him -his behaviour is "normal"

So some journalist writes a piece about this theory. Because Jose said it in the first place? Does that piece make the theory authentic? Not to me.

What I believe is that Jose inevitably brings with him the tools that doom his teams. The famous siege mentality and of course the assorted endless antics, humiliations and scandals.

Three years is all he needs apparently: bingo! The human beings at his disposal are utterly worn out after this ordeal. And then these exhausted players let him down... oh well.

This is credible. Conspiracy theories, I don't buy them, thank you.
warspite1

Who cares though - that is more to the point. Let's say you are right. Let's say that Mourinho's antics got him the sack from Inter Milan, from Porto, from Chelsea. Right, now count up the trophies won during his stay. Sounds like a good deal - no a flippin' great deal - where do I sign?

Oh no, that nasty Mr Mourinho left my club after 3-years. And what did I get for that eh? I mean apart from the League Championships, the Champions League, the domestic trophies. I mean apart from those what did Mourinho ever do for us? [Well there is always the great squads] Yes apart from the great players for the next manager to inherit, what did he actually do?....

Post #: 2514
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/25/2017 7:28:24 PM   
TulliusDetritus

The question is, are you a Porto, Inter or Chelsea supporter? As far as I know, you're not.

I don't like any of those teams either so all I see is a guy with millionaires' expensive toys. And he manages to win, oh quelle suprise. Who ever said he coached mickey mouse teams?

As if he was the first guy to win leagues and CLs. Plenty of them out there. Each year *someone* wins these trophies. Besides, the CL title is basically a matter of luck (the cup thing vs regularity ie leagues).

A humble and rather gray guy like Del Bosque can also say he's won leagues and a couple of CL. Oh, and one Euro and one WC. Has anyone ever said that guy was top notch? Of course not. Needless to say, the guy never ever pretended he was the best thing out there.

And Jose does not build teams, by the way. He inherited Inter (*already* successful, I had to correct you on this one), Chelsea and Real Madrid toys. As I said, Jose worns out the toys. It's amazing Conte could inspire these guys again.

But you were the one that mentioned Guardiola's failure. Well, at least he didn't miss the Bundesliga titles. Mourinho won 0 CL and 1 (out of 3) leagues with Real. That has to be the most abject failure then

What you need to understand is that you will never get me to praise this personage. NEVER. All I see is mega expensive teams using cowardly small teams, relegation fodder miserables tactics. You like that? Fine. I don't. Now just respect this point of view.

And you already know it. Parking the bus tactics are perfectly legitimate and rational when your struggle is about mere survival. For example Sunderland in the EPL. Here it's not a choice, it's the only rational option if you're visiting Chelsea or Spurs

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2515
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/25/2017 7:45:27 PM   
warspite1

quote:

The question is, are you a Porto, Inter or Chelsea supporter? As far as I know, you're not.

No - as you know, but that has nothing to do with anything

I don't like any of those teams either so all I see is a guy with millionaires' expensive toys. And he manages to win, oh quelle suprise. Who ever said he coached mickey mouse teams?

Okay we are going round in circles - this has all been brought up before and if you are going to insist that winning the Champions League with Porto is something anyone could do well I can only guess at why you would do that

As if he was the first guy to win leagues and CLs. Plenty of them out there. Each year *someone* wins these trophies. Besides, the CL title is basically a matter of luck (the cup thing vs regularity ie leagues).

Who said he was the first. No idea what this has to do with anything

A humble and rather gray guy like Del Bosque can also say he's won leagues and a couple of CL. Oh, and one Euro and one WC. Has anyone ever said that guy was top notch? Of course not. Needless to say, the guy never ever pretended he was the best thing out there.

No idea what this has to do with anything

And Jose does not build teams, by the way. He inherited Inter (*already* successful, I had to correct you on this one), Chelsea and Real Madrid toys. As I said, Jose worns out the toys. It's amazing Conte could inspire these guys again.

No you didn't, nice try but I had to correct you. Inter won how many Champions League's under Mancini?

But you were the one that mentioned Guardiola's failure. Well, at least he didn't miss the Bundesliga titles. Mourinho won 0 CL and 1 (out of 3) leagues with Real. That has to be the most abject failure then

So you don't rate anything Mourinho's done but you rave about Guardiola winning the Bundesliga in a one-horse race?

What you need to understand is that you will never get me to praise this personage. NEVER. All I see is mega expensive teams using cowardly small teams, relegation fodder miserables tactics. You like that? Fine. I don't. Now just respect this point of view.

What are you talking about? I am not asking you to praise him - but equally I am not the one that, for no good reason brings up anti-Jose rants with boring monotony. As I said, if you are going to bring up that rubbish then expect to be challenged.

And you already know it. Parking the bus tactics are perfectly legitimate and rational when your struggle is about mere survival. For example Sunderland in the EPL. Here it's not a choice, it's the only rational option if you're visiting Chelsea or Spurs

Why are you trying to tell me what you think I know? If Mourinho had played Barcelona at their game then he wouldn't have won the Champions League. He found a way to beat Barca by playing the best tactics for his group of players - its called managing.

warspite1

Answers in red.

Post #: 2516
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/25/2017 7:54:35 PM   
TulliusDetritus

To be honest, in general I don't praise any coach. Too subjective: how do you measure it? A pissing contest? Well, then Del Bosque has to be the winner yes or yes. I simply don't praise them (Mourinho AND guardiola etc).

The exception is when exceptional things happen ie Ranieri and Leicester or Benítez and Liverpool 2005. The former was astonishing, the latter, pure luck (the cup thing).

Other than that I can say I prefer Guardiola simply because he proposes attacking football, and that's what I like. As opposed to the mourinhesque "I'm the best, I'm the best!!", you will hardly get me saying x guy is better than y guy.

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 4/25/2017 7:55:53 PM >

Post #: 2517
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/25/2017 8:02:46 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

if you are going to insist that winning the Champions League with Porto

Porto is no mickey mouse team. It's a historical European team.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2518
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/25/2017 8:13:06 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

Warspite
its called managing.

ROFL

Samuel Eto'o playing as Right Back at the Camp Nou is now called managing. One thing is evident. Mourinho was admitting a) Barça were vastly superior (they would have won that match 9 out of 10 times) and b) despite the money at his disposal, he was incapable of building a similar team...

You really see the glass half full.

Post #: 2519
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/25/2017 9:24:31 PM   
warspite1

quote:

To be honest, in general I don't praise any coach. Too subjective: how do you measure it? A pissing contest? Well, then Del Bosque has to be the winner yes or yes. I simply don't praise them (Mourinho AND guardiola etc).

The exception is when exceptional things happen ie Ranieri and Leicester or Benítez and Liverpool 2005. The former was astonishing, the latter, pure luck (the cup thing).

Other than that I can say I prefer Guardiola simply because he proposes attacking football, and that's what I like. As opposed to the mourinhesque "I'm the best, I'm the best!!", you will hardly get me saying x guy is better than y guy.
warspite1

He was successful at Real Madrid and then took Spain to a new level. I think that makes his a pretty special record. What that has to do with whether Jose Mourinho is a fantastically successful manager or not is less clear to me.

You prefer Guardiola because you prefer the style of football he plays - yes that is clear and that is fine and that is your choice.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/25/2017 9:48:44 PM >

Post #: 2520
Page:   <<   < prev  82 83 [84] 85 86   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  82 83 [84] 85 86   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI