Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why even have Demoralizing?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Why even have Demoralizing? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why even have Demoralizing? - 5/8/2017 1:42:08 AM   
RogerBacon

The character trait "Demoralizing" is by far the worst trait a character can have. It causes all other characters at the same location to lose levels in all of their skills over time. It is SO BAD in fact that the AI dismisses such characters as soon as they arrive or acquire the trait. I do the same. So, why have it? I suppose its marginally OK if its on a captain who will be operating alone and won't affect anyone else but that's about it.
Post #: 1
RE: Why even have Demoralizing? - 5/8/2017 1:51:00 AM   
Overlord015

Hmm, I wonder if you could use a diplomat with this trait to sabotage an opponent's characters in their capitals, it'd be interesting to see if this is possible.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 2
RE: Why even have Demoralizing? - 5/8/2017 6:03:20 AM   
Shark7

The demoralizing trait is in because not all traits can be good.

Plus it forces you to make a decision. Many times a demoralizing character will have other skills that make them invaluable. In this case you must decide if the demoralizing trait outweighs the good skills.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Overlord015)
Post #: 3
RE: Why even have Demoralizing? - 5/8/2017 12:59:45 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Plus it forces you to make a decision. Many times a demoralizing character will have other skills that make them invaluable. In this case you must decide if the demoralizing trait outweighs the good skills.

I get that all traits can't be good. (Half of my characters seem to be drunk all the time) but demoralizing is SO BAD that its a no brainer to dump them. If it only caused a penalty to everyone else's traits while in the smae location that would be OK but to permanenetly lower all traits of all characters at that location is just too bad to live with.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 4
RE: Why even have Demoralizing? - 5/8/2017 4:38:11 PM   
Edmesa

Dumping isnt the only option. In one of my games my start researcher was brilliant but had the demoralizing trait, so build a research station at one of the uncolonizable planets in my home system and shipped him off to his "private" research station.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 5
RE: Why even have Demoralizing? - 5/8/2017 4:50:16 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edmesa

Dumping isnt the only option. In one of my games my start researcher was brilliant but had the demoralizing trait, so build a research station at one of the uncolonizable planets in my home system and shipped him off to his "private" research station.

Exactly...They are usable in the right place....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Edmesa)
Post #: 6
RE: Why even have Demoralizing? - 5/16/2017 2:49:11 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

I get that all traits can't be good. (Half of my characters seem to be drunk all the time) but demoralizing is SO BAD that its a no brainer to dump them. If it only caused a penalty to everyone else's traits while in the smae location that would be OK but to permanenetly lower all traits of all characters at that location is just too bad to live with.

You don't have to auto dump them. A scientist character with demoralizing can be sent to a research station with no other characters on it and have zero effect on your character growth while still positively effecting your research. Ambassadors spend most of their time away from any of your owned planets, so no reason to dump them either. Spies are like scientists and ambassadors, relocate them somewhere where no other characters are and you have neutralized the demoralizing trait.

Now then, with governors, generals, admirals and leaders...yeah, usually you are better off without them as those 4 character types will almost always be in contact with other characters during gameplay.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Why even have Demoralizing? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI