Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do I create Air Groups

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> How do I create Air Groups Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do I create Air Groups - 5/20/2017 2:11:03 AM   
Ldeathbow

I'm trying to run a "wild" idea with Japan.

I want to take several Sanyo AK and convert them to AV (carries 9, supports 21 float planes).
Placing them in TF's of 2 (or even 4), I'll station the vessels in the Pacific and set up naval
search(s) in at least a 180 degree arc to the east.

The idea is to place them so search arcs touch, if not overlap, to provide early warning
of US ship movements. No gap, almost no chance of "getting through" undetected. To add insult
to injury, use 4 AV's with 2 of them loaded with Float capable bombers, so the TF can do more
than just detect incoming

My "problem" is getting enough air groups to do this. When you build a carrier, the Air Groups
come with it...but conversion does not create an Air Group and even splitting an existing group
(IF I can find naval float plane groups large enough) I might not be able to field enough
for the job. I'd hate to "reassign" the Battleship float plane groups to search from these AV's,
but I think I might have to, and it'd make more sense than parking Capital Ships in those TF's.

The H8K1 Emily would be ideal - enters the game in mid '42 (it'll take that long to convert the
AV's to carry them anyway) and has a range of 24 and default load is 2 torps (so they CAN attack,
not just detect). So the search arc (combined N to S) is 48 hexes, shouldn't take more than 4
or 5 TF's to cover North to South without gaps, but that's still 10 AG's at 9 planes per - not
counting relief groups so pilots don't "burn-out" and/or extra tenders to provide fuel and ordinance.
Tracker shows enough float plane groups that are 9 (or more) planes each, so I can reassign groups
even if I have to spend PP to change HQ.

So the actual question - can I CREATE air groups (need 72 planes minimum, 8 groups) to assign to the AV's?
OR Am I "forced" to detach groups of 9 (or worse, several groups to total 9) and reassign them (which will
leave fewer planes in the "original" location)?
Post #: 1
RE: How do I create Air Groups - 5/20/2017 2:30:16 AM   
Lokasenna

Move float planes units to the Chitose or Chiyoda and resize to 24 planes, then split them into 1/3's. This will give you units of 8 planes to use on the Sanyo AV's.

(in reply to Ldeathbow)
Post #: 2
RE: How do I create Air Groups - 5/20/2017 2:36:23 AM   
bartrat

As Lokasenna said.

Using the editor you can create more float plane air groups; but only can use them if you would start a new game using that user defined scen.

WW2 logistics fanboy and
Rat Rancher
Rat ranching for fun and profit, had better be fun, cause there is no profit.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3
RE: How do I create Air Groups - 5/20/2017 5:42:15 AM   
Alfred

Lokasenna points out the workaround.  However it is very important to understand the workaround technically does not create new air groups.

The OP needs to understand that:

1.  Emilys are not float planes and therefore cannot be used in the intended role.

2.  The available slots for splitting air units is limited.  Under normal air unit splitting usage players are unlikely to exhaust the available slots.  What is proposed here is not normal air unit splitting usage.

Alfred

(in reply to bartrat)
Post #: 4
RE: How do I create Air Groups - 5/21/2017 7:27:46 PM   
Ldeathbow

Alfred - Understood.

Although this will make for a less "pretty" front (I was going for a straight line pole to pole),
it actually makes things infinitely easier.

1. The Emily, according to AE database is a "float, amphib" - the AV may not be able to carry
something that large, but it can provide ground support , so instead of having to make lots
of 9 unit air groups I can have 1 group of 18, 27 or even 36 arrive at any rock that Japan
controls that has the potential for a port. This will cut my AV requirements in half (more or less).

2. Since "normal" air splitting didn't help/let Japan win the war, perhaps abnormal is required,
in any event the need to have a "ground base" (as opposed to CV type operation), again, means I
don't need to make as many splits as I'd expected.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 5
RE: How do I create Air Groups - 5/22/2017 5:23:08 PM   
Alfred

In the official scenarios, the AV can't carry the Emily because it is not classified as a float plane.  The size of the airframe is irrelevant.  Just like size is not taken into account when equipping IJN subs with Glens.

Alfred

(in reply to Ldeathbow)
Post #: 6
RE: How do I create Air Groups - 5/22/2017 11:54:14 PM   
rustysi

First there are some 'bad' ideas here, the main one is to put Emily's searching for anything that may have air cover. These are expensive long range search planes (144HI to build) that will be decimated against any type of opposing fighter. In addition any A/C in the search mode will carry a reduced load and these do not include torps. Lastly your not gong to find much at a 24 hex search range (keep it to 12), but you will wear out your pilots and A/C. These puppies have an SR of 4, good luck.

If you want to 'create' some float plane units, Japan has a number of cruisers that have two float plane units, 'split' these and resize them. One for the cruiser and the other for the AV. In addition Japan also has some AV's that have two 'air groups', usually of sizes 3 and 6. These may be 'split' and resized.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> How do I create Air Groups Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI