Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  350 351 [352] 353 354   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/22/2017 5:18:25 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Correct...it is a rail/road hexiside control path from Rangoon to Tsuy no matter how convoluted.

I also believe being below the garrison in Rangoon, or suffering partisan attacks at Rangoon can close the Burma Road....I can't remember which.

When I have a little more time, I will search for Alfred's post on it...or perhaps I have it on one drive.

See my 2013 post in this thread for how the Burma Road operates post some bug squashing.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3415396&mpage=1&key=Burma�

Alfred

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 10531
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/22/2017 5:47:48 PM   
Jellicoe

Is it worth trying to sneak the Lexington to a nearby dot base or something less attention focusing than Boela that will still be able receive Boela air cover?

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 10532
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/22/2017 6:03:17 PM   
Canoerebel

John has subs posted all around Boela, including the dot hexes.

I'm not positive he knows that Lex is there, but I have to assume he does. Moving her is more risky than leaving her in place - John has had a recent very unpleasant experience with KB air striking a hardened target (in that case, Portland Roads). I don't want to lose Lexington, but if I'm going to lose her, she's in the most advantageous position possible. It may take time for John to drum up the resolve or the resources to move on Boela, and the Allied fighters there will exact a steep price (unless John can close the airfield by bombardment, which is why I've been moving more combat ships and subs there, including minelaying subs).

It's an interesting game within the game, but I'll just have to call John's bluff. No easy kill of Lexington. Make him come and dig her out at maximum expense.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/22/2017 6:04:19 PM >

(in reply to Jellicoe)
Post #: 10533
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/22/2017 6:09:34 PM   
Pockets197412

Hey, long time reader, first time poster! I'm currently reading both AAR, currently at game date is July 1942. The date of those posts is April 2013. When I skip ahead, you guys are in mid/late 1944 and it's May, 2017. So you guys have taken 5 years to accomplish 2 years in game! Hats off to you sir! Been a good read so far!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10534
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/22/2017 6:30:29 PM   
Canoerebel

Pockets, we took a 2.25-year sabbatical, from September 2013 until December 2015. :)

(in reply to Pockets197412)
Post #: 10535
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/22/2017 6:41:47 PM   
Canoerebel

8/3/44

Convergence: I'll post the usual maps with details later, but there were some developments today that lend themselves to written format. A number of Allied movements and attacks in China and Formosa were quite effective. There's a likelihood that the Allies will soon close all of Formosa's airfield unless John brings KB back. And in China, John's strongest coast stack at Tsingkiang was clobbered by B-29s and then underwent a 2:1 attack by four li'l ol' tank units. But the infantry arrived in the hex so that John got a good look at what's there ... and suddenly I see movement dots for Japanese units in several places around China.

The Allied bombardments were very effective versus Hengchun, Takao, Taichu and Taihoku, and modest sweeps and bombing missions added to the effect. The latter two bases only have 15% damage, but Takao is closed now and Kagi nearly so. A few more attacks like today's and John won't have any viable bases left. And he sees the writing on the wall in coastal China: the Allies will take Tsinkiang tomorrow, and he's already pushed forward most of his troops from Amoy. He's going to lose that base in four or five days.

I'm going to keep Death Star in position for two reasons: primarily to keep up the appearances of the threat against Formosa; secondarily to allow supply to come ashore at Tsinkiang (I have to allow the troops to draw supply from Foochow, so I think supply is quickly going to become an issue in China). There's no holding back now - I need to apply maximum pressure in China and Formosa to draw KB north.

KB is currently at Balikpapan refueling. I think John will send it north afterwards. If so, that will complicate things around Formosa but will create a vacuum in the DEI, allowing me to push supply forward on an expedited basis.

A lot of things went right today, and I think John realizes he has to commit KB or lose the Formosa campaign. To this point he's been willing to give up ground without committing his carriers, but there's no way he can handle Formosa that way. I don't believe he can afford to lose Formosa without exacting a heavy, heavy price.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10536
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/22/2017 6:51:51 PM   
BBfanboy

I am not so sure about KB coming north. John may think his fighters can handle the B-29 raids coming from Formosa so he would be willing to lose it.
I am quite sure he is not willing to lose carriers!

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10537
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/22/2017 7:35:44 PM   
Canoerebel

8/3/43

Peep Show: Good progress made today.

BBfanboy: You may be right. That strategy would be worth careful thought, certainly from a victory point/gaming standpoint.

From a military standpoint I don't think it is. Formosa is the gateway to China (more of it, I mean), Korea, and the Home Islands. Losing Formosa with 170k troops would be a nightmare for him.

And from a Bushido Code standpoint, John the JFB wouldn't be able to look himself in the mirror.

I have a feeling he'll fight for Formosa; either that or look for a target that in his eyes would be balance it. Boela/Lexington might be sufficient in that regard. Or he might get the notion that hammering Legaspi/Naga would be a real achievement. In that case, though, the barn door is open and all the livestock is long gone.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10538
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/22/2017 8:13:13 PM   
Canoerebel

8/3/44

SEAC: The Allies are advancing and still encountering light opposition, but there are signs that stiffer opposition awaits...but are there also signs that John may be shifting troops from Indochina to China?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10539
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/22/2017 8:33:44 PM   
JeffroK

Re the use of subs.
Has anyone tried setting them to follow a surface TF and be part of a surface action?? (Or an ASW TF)

I tried but failed to invoke a combat, wondered if it gave them some protection.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10540
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/24/2017 12:45:59 AM   
Canoerebel

8/4/44

Convergence: Allied attacks today in China and Formosa were perfectly synchronized and powerfully delivered. The series of blows - today in particular, but yesterday too - have John's full attention. KB is moving strongly NE into the Makassar Strait and the Pacific. I don't think he is prepared to lose Formosa without a fight.

Battle of Tsinkiang: The Allies whip John's main coastal army, which was already battered. The enemy retires to Amoy, with six Allied units in pursuit. Four of them - tank units - have already arrived at Amoy and will attack tomorrow. I think Amoy will fall the day after tomorrow.

This, combined with Formosa's plight, may well draw KB into a decisive campaign.

I'll post on Formosa shortly.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/24/2017 12:47:12 AM >

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 10541
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/24/2017 1:04:58 AM   
Canoerebel

8/4/44

Peep Show: Strong Allied air attacks and bombardments target Formosa's airfields (and one port). Those airfields are in pretty bad shape now.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/24/2017 1:05:23 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10542
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/24/2017 1:10:40 AM   
Lowpe

This is a nightmare situation for Japan, I think. Even if China was fully conquered by Japan, it would be exceedingly tough & with China very active, and most likely getting stronger every day...

Forts 1...what do you think the forts are at Amoy? I guess you will find out tomorrow.

What does recon spot at Hong Kong? There is no Japanese garrison requirement there.

Your invasion has really cracked the game, and you accomplished it on the cheap...the game is really your oyster now so to speak with lots of avenues forward for you.

The question is can you get auto victory prior to Jan 1, 1945? Are you even trying to get auto victory...or you are just methodically whittling Japan down to size?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10543
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/24/2017 1:15:56 AM   
Canoerebel

8/4/44

KB in the DEI: See map for details.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10544
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/24/2017 1:21:13 AM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

This is a nightmare situation for Japan, I think. Even if China was fully conquered by Japan, it would be exceedingly tough & with China very active, and most likely getting stronger every day...

Forts 1...what do you think the forts are at Amoy? I guess you will find out tomorrow.

What does recon spot at Hong Kong? There is no Japanese garrison requirement there.

Your invasion has really cracked the game, and you accomplished it on the cheap...the game is really your oyster now so to speak with lots of avenues forward for you.

The question is can you get auto victory prior to Jan 1, 1945? Are you even trying to get auto victory...or you are just methodically whittling Japan down to size?

Amoy might have five or six forts, but it's open terrain and he has no combat power there. It'll fall soon.

Hong Kong is modestly garrisoned. Canton is modestly garrisoned (I think he just withdrew one unit to plug holes further east).

Regarding Victory Points, for most of the game I mostly ignored them. I was intent on achieving a favorable military position, with the idea of eventually being able to efficiently work on those Victory Points. I've recently turned my attention that way, but I'm not necessarily shooting for victory at any particular date. I don't really know yet what's possible. I won't know until I have enough strategic bombing points under my belt to get a feel for how that'll go.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 10545
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/24/2017 7:12:21 AM   
Canoerebel

I'm driving to Miami today (780 miles) to help move my mom and stepfather from there to Louisville. Driving from Miami to Louisville over the weekend, I'll drive right by my house here, so I'll spend one night at home, probably Sunday. Then it's on to Louisville. And then back home around next Tuesday.

So I'll do a turn on Sunday, but other than that I'll be away for the next seven days.

Y'all American folks (Yankees included) have a great Memorial Day Weekend. Y'all Cousins Across the Pond and All Around the Globe For that Matter, we're feeling for you guys. And all the rest of you good folks, from South Korea to Singapore to Italy to wherever the heck you happen to be, thanks for reading and have a good week!

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/24/2017 7:13:33 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10546
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/24/2017 8:37:24 AM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

I'm driving to Miami today (780 miles) to help move my mom and stepfather from there to Louisville. Driving from Miami to Louisville over the weekend,
I do like long drives but this one is a bit much. I'm sure the company & conversation is good but what does one listen to on the radio for that long? Podcasts & Sirius/XM usually see me thorough. Good luck, have Memorial Day weekend and drive safely

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10547
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/24/2017 11:24:33 AM   
Encircled

To us Brits, thats just an insane drive.

Thats from Lands End to John O'Groats, give or take a few miles

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 10548
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/24/2017 11:26:10 AM   
JeffroK

Try 3 days, Melbourne to Perth!

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 10549
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/24/2017 11:54:24 AM   
Encircled

I think on that one, "I spy" would get very boring, very quickly

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 10550
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/24/2017 12:57:30 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

In early 90s, I was in northern England installing machine to build computer chips near Newcastle. The speed limits weren't observed on your interstate system, so we did 100 mph plus to and from work. Here in the USA, 75 to 85 mph is usually tops. I never understood the mixing of metrics (gas was dispensed in liters), but speed limit was mph in many places. I bounced too many times off the curbs going to northern Scotland one weekend. Why have them out in the middle of nowhere?!?

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 10551
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/24/2017 1:37:52 PM   
Smoky Stoker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

A lot of Uropeens have that problem. When I worked at a hotel in New York City, we had several cases of visitors missing important appointments because they failed to realize that Boston is as far from New York as Hamburg from Berlin. It's such a small distance on a map of the US!

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 10552
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/24/2017 2:01:48 PM   
paullus99

John's in serious trouble in China right now & he doesn't seem to realize the threat. Japanese infantry just can't stand up to late war Allied troops (especially backed with armor) without dense terrain and lots of forts.

As I believe I mentioned last week, this the nightmare "hammer & anvil" scenario in China that JFBs hate - because if there is an intact Chinese Army to deal with on one side & now a well-equipped and supplied Allied Army on the other, it becomes nearly impossible to start losing key bases all along the perimeter.

If you can really start force-feeding supply into Burma & then up into China, it's really Game-Over for his armies there.

I would expect, based on what John is learning right now, that his next game will be substantially different in tone - he's got to get a bit more "well-rounded" when it comes to using his ground forces.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Smoky Stoker)
Post #: 10553
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/24/2017 2:39:36 PM   
Lecivius

Driving from Denver to Seattle next weekend. 1350 miles one way. Methinks my butt bone is gonna feel that one

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 10554
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/24/2017 6:46:26 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smoky Stoker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

A lot of Uropeens have that problem. When I worked at a hotel in New York City, we had several cases of visitors missing important appointments because they failed to realize that Boston is as far from New York as Hamburg from Berlin. It's such a small distance on a map of the US!

I've told a few that NYC to LA is Lisbon to Moscow, give or take. That usually gets their attention.

The Moose

(in reply to Smoky Stoker)
Post #: 10555
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/24/2017 7:04:58 PM   
Panther Bait

I drove across the US from LA to Boston (southern route, about 3000 miles) in about 3.5-4 days (Thursday evening to Monday noonish) with a friend back in college. The part that really stuck with me was driving through Tennessee (Route 40 & 81) was like 7.5 hours and 500 miles all in one state (midnight to morning).

Of course driving across Texas or California the long way would be even more (800+ miles), but my God, I was happy to get to Virginia. Of course, it was worth it to see the Shenandoah Valley on a beautiful sunny day.

Mike

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 10556
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/24/2017 7:26:24 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

I drove across the US from LA to Boston (southern route, about 3000 miles) in about 3.5-4 days (Thursday evening to Monday noonish) with a friend back in college. The part that really stuck with me was driving through Tennessee (Route 40 & 81) was like 7.5 hours and 500 miles all in one state (midnight to morning).

Of course driving across Texas or California the long way would be even more (800+ miles), but my God, I was happy to get to Virginia. Of course, it was worth it to see the Shenandoah Valley on a beautiful sunny day.

Mike

From the tip of the peninsula to the tip of the panhandle is quite the drive in Florida as well.
The states are big!
Well most of em anyway...Rhode Island, New Jersey and Delaware really don't count.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 5/24/2017 7:27:14 PM >

Hans

(in reply to Panther Bait)
Post #: 10557
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/24/2017 8:00:22 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

From the tip of the peninsula to the tip of the panhandle is quite the drive in Florida as well.
The states are big!
Well most of em anyway...Rhode Island, New Jersey and Delaware really don't count.

I tried to dimension it for my Spanish opponent recently.

Minnesota is 86,943 sq miles.

Spain is 195,364 sq. miles.

Minnesota is not a particularly large state. Twelfth.

Alaska is 663,267 sq. miles.

The Moose

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 10558
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/24/2017 8:29:46 PM   
JeffroK

West Australia, 976,790 sq miles.
Pop. about 2.6million.
Queensland is over 715,000 sq m.

On my 3 day trip I did Eucla to Perth in 1 day, 1428km and its mostly flat.
I've also done Darwin to Perth in the back of a Coach in 50hrs.

In a previous job we would get visitors from Head Office in Kansas City. They usually organised to fly out on Sunday and the question would be "If I take Friday off can I see 1) Great Ocean Road, 2) The Grampians, 3) Ayers Rock ???
We soon got one of those maps with the 2 countries overlayed, "Australia cant be that big!!!!!"

But I would be similar in the UK, what only 200 miles away, easy!!

< Message edited by JeffK -- 5/24/2017 8:34:33 PM >

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 10559
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/24/2017 11:08:31 PM   
Dirtnap86

I drove from Charlotte, NC down to Gulfport, MS to visit a friend one time. I took my lovely wife with me, who took a nap as she is wont to do in the car. We left around 11pm (hoping to avoid the charlie foxtrot that is Atlanta commute traffic) and she woke up from her nap around 4am. I had only just gotten past the outskirts of Atlanta.

I hate long drives, my time spent doing night driving in the sandbox has soured me to being behind the wheel for more than an hour at a time. I used to love driving, always found it relaxing.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 10560
Page:   <<   < prev  350 351 [352] 353 354   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  350 351 [352] 353 354   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI