Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  351 352 [353] 354 355   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/25/2017 1:09:03 AM   
CaptBeefheart

I'm not going to win this competition. Seoul to Busan (i.e. Keijo to Fusan) is four hours in good traffic, which is admittedly rare. I did my honeymoon in Arizona and Nevada (Phoenix, Grand Canyon and Vegas) in a rental car and the missus, who is Korean, was pretty blown away by the distances and open spaces.

Have a great Memorial Day back there, and remember those who the holiday commemorates.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Dirtnap86)
Post #: 10561
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/25/2017 1:29:21 AM   
DW

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smoky Stoker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

To us Brits, thats just an insane drive.

Thats from Lands End to John O'Groats, give or take a few miles

A lot of Uropeens have that problem. When I worked at a hotel in New York City, we had several cases of visitors missing important appointments because they failed to realize that Boston is as far from New York as Hamburg from Berlin. It's such a small distance on a map of the US!

That can work both ways.

A couple I know was vacationing in England, and they plotted out a driving tour of the lake district. Looking at the map, they thought the drive would take most of the day.

Yet, when they finished their route and arrived back at their hotel, it wasn't yet noon.

(in reply to Smoky Stoker)
Post #: 10562
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/25/2017 2:43:47 AM   
Lokasenna

...this is what map scales are for.

(in reply to DW)
Post #: 10563
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/25/2017 5:26:12 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

From the tip of the peninsula to the tip of the panhandle is quite the drive in Florida as well.
The states are big!
Well most of em anyway...Rhode Island, New Jersey and Delaware really don't count.

I tried to dimension it for my Spanish opponent recently.

Minnesota is 86,943 sq miles.

Spain is 195,364 sq. miles.

Minnesota is not a particularly large state. Twelfth.

Alaska is 663,267 sq. miles.

Alaska just edges out Manitoba at 649,947 square miles. Of course if you deduct the area of our 80,000 lakes we have a lot less living space!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 10564
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/25/2017 7:19:29 AM   
Encircled

quote:

Yet, when they finished their route and arrived back at their hotel, it wasn't yet noon.

If they try that on a lovely day, it will take all day!

Live less than an hour away from the Lakes, and when we go there, we go early, or you can't park and get stuck in massive traffic jams. Well worth it though!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10565
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/25/2017 1:22:16 PM   
AcePylut

If i drive from my home in Columbia, SC, to my parents in North Central Illinois, I can do it alone in 12 hours. If I take my wife and 2 kids, it's 20 hours and an overnight stay at a hotel.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 10566
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/25/2017 1:26:15 PM   
paullus99

Had to drive from Nashville to Naples, FL one time...and I thought Georgia was a freakishly long state. Once we hit the Florida state line, we thought we were home free.....then 16 hours later, we arrive.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 10567
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/25/2017 1:57:26 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

I'm not going to win this competition. Seoul to Busan (i.e. Keijo to Fusan) is four hours in good traffic, which is admittedly rare. I did my honeymoon in Arizona and Nevada (Phoenix, Grand Canyon and Vegas) in a rental car and the missus, who is Korean, was pretty blown away by the distances and open spaces.

Have a great Memorial Day back there, and remember those who the holiday commemorates.

Cheers,
CC

CC, have you caught the last train to Busan?

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 10568
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/25/2017 10:05:34 PM   
Bif1961

I drove from Phenix City, AL to Caseville, MI 1,000 miles in 16 hours, 3 gas and pit stops.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 10569
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/25/2017 10:12:44 PM   
MakeeLearn

As a kid, we use to walk through the woods down to the "Old Road" where around 10 old cars and trucks had been left. We would each pick a vehicle get in it and drive all over the world.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 5/25/2017 10:34:48 PM >

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 10570
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/25/2017 10:55:42 PM   
Bif1961

Good gas mileage that way.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 10571
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/25/2017 11:34:23 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

And still be home before dark.... most times.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 10572
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/26/2017 1:16:19 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

And still be home before dark.... most times.

And when not at least they knew where to find you.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 10573
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/26/2017 7:40:01 AM   
CaptBeefheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Cheers,
CC

CC, have you caught the last train to Busan?

Good one. I have not seen that movie.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 10574
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/26/2017 11:46:57 AM   
Jellicoe

I shan't moan quite so much about driving from Kent to Cornwall this summer having read some of the above posts,however the pain of the A303 past Stonehenge has to be experienced to be believed.

Mitigation will be the opportunity to stop off at the fleet Air Arm museum at Yeovil which is always worth a trip. Last time I was there they were building a barracuda using a combination of original spares and replicas as no original airframe still exists.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 10575
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/28/2017 4:58:19 AM   
Canoerebel

I have returned! 10.5 hours and 763 miles after leaving Homestead, Florida, I arrived at my house in Georgia exactly at midnight. I'll be here 36 hours before departing for Louisville, Kentucky.

I enjoy driving a lot - especially solo or with my immediate family. Today was solo. That provided lot of opportunity to think - especially since I don't have a cell phone or smart phone to distract or interrupt my train of thought. I don't have XM, but I traveled with about eight music CDs, including a few with my own selection. I listen mostly to 70s/80s classic rock (do the Carpenters really count as rock?), classical, and Christians hymns/praise. Traffic ranged from light to moderate all day, and the weather was good, so it was a relaxing trip.

I'll run the turn tomorrow and then check back in. Y'all have a good night.

(in reply to Jellicoe)
Post #: 10576
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/28/2017 5:24:49 AM   
Dirtnap86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I have returned! 10.5 hours and 763 miles after leaving Homestead, Florida, I arrived at my house in Georgia exactly at midnight. I'll be here 36 hours before departing for Louisville, Kentucky.

I enjoy driving a lot - especially solo or with my immediate family. Today was solo. That provided lot of opportunity to think - especially since I don't have a cell phone or smart phone to distract or interrupt my train of thought. I don't have XM, but I traveled with about eight music CDs, including a few with my own selection. I listen mostly to 70s/80s classic rock (do the Carpenters really count as rock?), classical, and Christians hymns/praise. Traffic ranged from light to moderate all day, and the weather was good, so it was a relaxing trip.

Glad you had a good trip. It's about to storm something fierce here, I think it already passed by your neck of the woods.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10577
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/28/2017 7:09:45 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

I would count the Carpenters as "Easy Listening" - I could listen to Karen Carpenter's voice all day and feel the mellow. Had a huge crush on her back in the day, before anorexia took her before she really started her life.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10578
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/28/2017 11:08:26 AM   
ny59giants

For girl crushes in 70s it was Heart and Fleetwood Mac.

Watching MTV in mid-80s had me fall in love with this video and black leather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpNw7jYkbVc

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10579
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/28/2017 1:52:43 PM   
Canoerebel

I agree - the Carpenters are "easy listening." Ya can't put them in the same "rock 'n roll" category as, say, Deff Leopard.

But, back in the day, the Carpenters would be played on Rock stations while Easy Listening stations might play Frank and Nancy' Sinatra's "Something Stupid." There was a line dividing the two - perhaps somewhat random but definite.

There was 70s and 80s rock that I couldn't stand - loud, crashing stuff; but so much of what came out in that era had distinct piano and horns and strings - and vocals - that it was quite lovely. Chicago, ELO, Styxx and dozens of others come to mind.

I suppose our parents easily distinguished between Ray Coniff or Frank Sinatra, on the one hand, and Foreigner or the Doobie Brothers on the other. But I can listen to all of that and find them relaxing. Just don't put me in the vicinity of hard, mashing, loud, cacophonous stuff like AC/DC, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, and the Greatful Dead.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/28/2017 1:54:06 PM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 10580
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/28/2017 2:08:46 PM   
Canoerebel

8/5/44

DEI: KB doesn't break for the Pacific ... at least, not yet. She may be drawn to CV Lexington at Boela, charting a course like the one referenced in "Come Sail Away" by Styx.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10581
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/28/2017 2:26:12 PM   
Canoerebel

8/5/44

Peep Show; Formosa is nearly isolated now. I don't think John can break the "embargo" without KB at this point. Does he see it that way? If so, does he care, or does he find merit in carrier missions far away?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10582
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/28/2017 3:37:30 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I would count the Carpenters as "Easy Listening" - I could listen to Karen Carpenter's voice all day and feel the mellow. Had a huge crush on her back in the day, before anorexia took her before she really started her life.

I'd say "Pop." Different genre than "Rock."

The Moose

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10583
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/28/2017 3:38:09 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

For girl crushes in 70s it was Heart and Fleetwood Mac.

Stevie Nicks turned 69 last week. I'm just sayin'.

The Moose

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 10584
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/28/2017 3:39:15 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Just don't put me in the vicinity of hard, mashing, loud, cacophonous stuff like AC/DC, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, and the Greatful Dead.

The Dead in that group? No way. They were much closer to folk than rock.

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10585
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/28/2017 4:48:38 PM   
crsutton

quote:

I agree - the Carpenters are "easy listening." Ya can't put them in the same "rock 'n roll" category as, say, Deff Leopard.

But, back in the day, the Carpenters would be played on Rock stations while Easy Listening stations might play Frank and Nancy' Sinatra's "Something Stupid." There was a line dividing the two - perhaps somewhat random but definite.

There was 70s and 80s rock that I couldn't stand - loud, crashing stuff; but so much of what came out in that era had distinct piano and horns and strings - and vocals - that it was quite lovely. Chicago, ELO, Styxx and dozens of others come to mind.

I suppose our parents easily distinguished between Ray Coniff or Frank Sinatra, on the one hand, and Foreigner or the Doobie Brothers on the other. But I can listen to all of that and find them relaxing. Just don't put me in the vicinity of hard, mashing, loud, cacophonous stuff like AC/DC, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, and the Greatful Dead.

Funny how folks differ. I could not stand any of the 70s and 80s groups that you just mention and don't listen to them this day, and listened to progressive stations that never played them. Course they never played Def Leopard either. I still listen to my 60s, 70 and 80 music today, (The Band, Birds, Graham Parsons, Emmylou Harris, the Dead and the Stones). Now where we converge is that today. I also listen to Sinatra, Peggy Lee, Cab Calloway and alot of other genres that my parents loved. And the miracle of youtube, Pandora and Spotify has exposed me to a lot of new music and old music that I missed. (The Bamboos, Neko Case and Megan Washington come to mind. Check out the Bamboos-and Australian band featuring Megan Washington who's home town happens to be Port Morsby, NG. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMYQNIwH8Es

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10586
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/28/2017 8:04:01 PM   
Canoerebel

Emmylou Harris was (and is) fantastic, though back in the day only Country stations played her songs.

Dan Fogelburg is another of my favorites.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/28/2017 8:05:05 PM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 10587
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/28/2017 8:28:50 PM   
JeffroK

Another Dan Fogelburg Fan,

When single I bought an album, after getting married I discovered the same album in my wife's collection.

I was a big John Denver fan, but also heavily into to Irish (trad), could belt out many tune in Gaelic.

In my old age I've mellowed and appreciate Queen and a few others that I wouldnt tough in my youth. Plus I love good Classical music, so travelling with me is a real mix of genre.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10588
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/29/2017 12:34:10 AM   
JohnDillworth

I saw what you did there with the 70's song lyrics

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10589
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/29/2017 12:42:14 AM   
JohnDillworth

My favorite 70's song. Best version....Arlo Guthrie:
Riding on the city of New Orleans
Illinois Central, Monday morning rail
Fifteen cars and fifteen restless riders
Three conductors and twenty-five sacks of mail
All along the southbound odyssey
The train pulled out at Kankakee
And rolls along past houses, farms and fields
Passin' trains that have no names
And freight yards full of old black men
And the graveyards of the rusted automobiles
Good morning, America
How are you?
Say don't you know me? I'm your native son
I'm the train they call the city of New Orleans
And I'll be gone five hundred miles when the day is done
Dealin' card games with the old men in the club car
Penny a point ain't no one keepin' score
Pass the paper bag that holds the bottle
Feel the wheels rumblin' 'neath the floor
And the sons of Pullman Porters
And the sons of engineers
Ride their father's magic carpet made of steel
Mothers with their babes asleep
Are rockin' to the gentle beat
And the rhythm of the rail is all they feel
Good morning, America
How are you?
I'll be gone five hundred miles when the day is done
Nighttime on the city of New Orleans
Changing cars in Memphis, Tennessee
Half way home, we'll be there by morning
Through the Mississippi darkness
Rolling down to the sea
But all the towns and people seem
To fade into a bad dream
And the steel rails still ain't heard the news
The conductor sings his songs again
The passengers will please refrain
This train has got the disappearing railroad blues
Good morning, America
How are you?
I'll be gone five hundred miles when the day is done

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 10590
Page:   <<   < prev  351 352 [353] 354 355   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  351 352 [353] 354 355   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI