Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  87 88 [89] 90 91   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/4/2017 7:25:24 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

1860 München loses professional license after the owner refuse to pay the required pro license fee to the German Football Assosiation.
warspite1

Always sad for the fans when this happens....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2641
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/4/2017 7:26:25 AM   
warspite1

How good were Real Madrid last night? I thought the Old Lady might pull off a shock but.....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2642
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/4/2017 2:26:33 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

1860 München loses professional license after the owner refuse to pay the required pro license fee to the German Football Assosiation.
warspite1

Always sad for the fans when this happens....

Yes. It's a power struggle in the boardroom. Mr 49% voter (60% owner but due to the 50+1 rule in Germany he only gets 49% voting rights) will not pay the license until he can see changes to club. He is happy to see the club demoted to Division 4 or 5 unless he gets his way. And as the major backer of the club, the rest of the board clearly are happy enough to take his money but not so keen in making the changes he wants in the running of the club.

More and more clubs at the lower end of the footballing spectrum have gone to fan ownership ultimately because of a fundamental disconnect between fans and board. But, of course, it's easier for fans to get control of their club at lower levels than at higher.

Football at the lower levels is changing guite rapidly. It is evolving into a self-sustaining, community owned model of club ownership.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/4/2017 3:25:32 PM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2643
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/4/2017 2:34:12 PM   
shunwick

quote:

How good were Real Madrid last night? I thought the Old Lady might pull off a shock but.....

In the first half they looked rather pedestrian and ordinary. In the second half, they stepped up a gear and the Old Lady just couldn't cope. Ronaldo played well and Ramos gave the acting performance deserving of an Oscar.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2644
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/10/2017 11:19:42 AM   
TulliusDetritus

Some hilarious [and/or] grotesque stuff:

"Tactical manoeuvre: the England squad train with the Royal Marines"

The word "Iceland" was somehow mentioned. The coach below (Southgate), as he "exits" the "sheep dip". Has to be fake news. That's some waterboarding in my book, to make sure the team understands pulling an Iceland won't be tolerated.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 6/10/2017 11:22:32 AM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2645
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/10/2017 3:41:01 PM   
warspite1

A big one today: Scotland vs England

This is the oldest international in the world - first played in 1872 in Glasgow, the game tonight takes place there too.

Because of how things have turned out in football terms, this is a much bigger game for Scotland than for England and Scotland will be desperate to beat the Auld Enemy. But regardless, make no mistake, this is not a game that the English want to lose either.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 2646
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/10/2017 5:03:41 PM   
shunwick

quote:

This is the oldest international in the world - first played in 1872 in Glasgow, the game tonight takes place there too.

Because of how things have turned out in football terms, this is a much bigger game for Scotland than for England and Scotland will be desperate to beat the Auld Enemy. But regardless, make no mistake, this is not a game that the English want to lose either.
0-0 Half Time

Scotland start brightly but fade as the half went on. England having the best chances so far.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2647
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/10/2017 5:54:41 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

quote:

0-0 Half Time

Scotland start brightly but fade as the half went on. England having the best chances so far.

Best wishes,
Steve

sounds like someone is very excited at a football match about 500 yards from my house ....

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2648
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/10/2017 5:56:34 PM   
loki100

oh, its just gone quiet again

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2649
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/10/2017 6:00:04 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

quote:

0-0 Half Time

Best wishes,
Steve

sounds like someone is very excited at a football match about 500 yards from my house ....

And...

2-2

Probably a fair result in the end. Heart breaking for Scotland after two great free kicks from Griffiths put them 2-1 up with only injury time to go. I am guessing you felt the earth move when the second Scottish goal went in. The huge groan you heard a couple of minutes later was Kane equalising.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2650
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/10/2017 6:25:15 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

0-0 Half Time

Best wishes,
Steve

And...

2-2

Probably a fair result in the end. Heart breaking for Scotland after two great free kicks from Griffiths put them 2-1 up with only injury time to go. I am guessing you felt the earth move when the second Scottish goal went in. The huge groan you heard a couple of minutes later was Kane equalising.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Yes, a fair-ish result. Was actually not to sad when Scotland went ahead as I thought a) it served us right and b) it might give them a chance to qualify. England had the better of it but they were too pedestrian - no killer ball, no getting in behind the defence.

Mixed bag from Spurs. Harry did what Harry does, while Dier was...well just dire....

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2651
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/10/2017 7:00:44 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

0-0 Half Time

Best wishes,
Steve

And...

2-2

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Yes, a fair-ish result. Was actually not to sad when Scotland went ahead as I thought a) it served us right and b) it might give them a chance to qualify. England had the better of it but they were too pedestrian - no killer ball, no getting in behind the defence.

Mixed bag from Spurs. Harry did what Harry does, while Dier was...well just dire....

Dele Alli was poor. I was not impressesd by the England back four either. I think they were all on a beach somewhere sipping cocktails and earning 20%....

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2652
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/11/2017 12:05:52 PM   
warspite1

England - football World Champions!

That's not something you hear everyday. Okay its only the under-20 version but hey, when your desperate.....

Well done lads - and there was even a couple of Tottenham players in the team

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2653
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/11/2017 1:41:04 PM   
VPaulus

Congratz!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2654
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/11/2017 2:57:36 PM   
warspite1

And good work from Norway. Taking points off the Czech Republic aids Northern Ireland's - at the outset seemingly hopeless - cause in their attempts to qualify for the real thing.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 2655
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/14/2017 2:43:39 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I am going to hijack and adapt Shunwick's sentence if you don't mind:

I love the smell of sacked managers in the morning...... and in the afternoon and evening too eh.

But this time it's different. Although the Chinese can be as ruthless as everybody else (if not more) they decided to sack Sven Eriksson via poem

I personally prefer shotguns and/or backstabbings, but I'm sure the Chinese know better.

Bye bye Sven, hello Wang.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2656
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/14/2017 3:25:06 PM   
terje439

quote:

And good work from Norway. Taking points off the Czech Republic aids Northern Ireland's - at the outset seemingly hopeless - cause in their attempts to qualify for the real thing.

And now the press here is all "now we will get good again, just wait for it, we will rise on the FIFA ranking, and we expect to qualify for the next championship".
We drew one match ffs

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2657
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/14/2017 7:42:34 PM   
loki100

quote:

quote:

And now the press here is all "now we will get good again, just wait for it, we will rise on the FIFA ranking, and we expect to qualify for the next championship".
We drew one match ffs

aye same here too. A not totally undeserved draw at home and all of sudden we can forget about seriously reviewing all the weaknesses in the structure and governance of Scottish football because we are off 'with Ally's army' [1]

[1] a reference that will only make sense to those who remmember the horror that was Scotland's trip to the WC in Argentina in 1978

edit - of course we did actually qualify before the aforementioned horror show so with hindsight maybe it wasn't all that bad?

< Message edited by loki100 -- 6/14/2017 7:43:46 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2658
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/15/2017 5:40:45 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

We drew one match ffs

aye same here too. A not totally undeserved draw at home and all of sudden we can forget about seriously reviewing all the weaknesses in the structure and governance of Scottish football because we are off 'with Ally's army' [1]

[1] a reference that will only make sense to those who remmember the horror that was Scotland's trip to the WC in Argentina in 1978

edit - of course we did actually qualify before the aforementioned horror show so with hindsight maybe it wasn't all that bad?
warspite1

I remember it well Being British I actually wanted Scotland to do well - especially as England were not in Argentina.

Scotland vs Peru - Oblitas, Cublitas et al - I recall it as though it were yesterday. And as for Archie Gemmill's goal Sadly for the Scots, just like 4 years earlier, it was goodbye at the first hurdle (although 4 years earlier they were unbeaten and only went out because they couldn't thrash Zaire)...

As for qualification, well.....

How's this for some totally unbiased commentary Even with the action replay!!

"A handball if ever there was one, the referee perfectly correct"..... yeah errr the handball was actually by an arm clad in blue wasn't it Mr Jordan?.....

With the score at 0-0 and deep into the second half, Scotland needed to win that game to pip the Welsh to qualification. Heart-breaking for the Welsh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foXf3n1Mv0I

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/15/2017 5:48:41 AM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2659
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/17/2017 7:47:54 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We drew one match ffs

warspite1

I remember it well Being British I actually wanted Scotland to do well - especially as England were not in Argentina.

Scotland vs Peru - Oblitas, Cublitas et al - I recall it as though it were yesterday. And as for Archie Gemmill's goal Sadly for the Scots, just like 4 years earlier, it was goodbye at the first hurdle (although 4 years earlier they were unbeaten and only went out because they couldn't thrash Zaire)...

"A handball if ever there was one, the referee perfectly correct"..... yeah errr the handball was actually by an arm clad in blue wasn't it Mr Jordan?.....

With the score at 0-0 and deep into the second half, Scotland needed to win that game to pip the Welsh to qualification. Heart-breaking for the Welsh.

So what was Mr Jordan's explanation?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2660
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/17/2017 8:33:15 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We drew one match ffs

warspite1

warspite1

As far as I am aware, he has never directly commented.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2661
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/17/2017 9:40:01 AM   
loki100

quote:

quote:

warspite1

As far as I am aware, he has never directly commented.

I think he was of a mindset that any bit of undetected cheating and thuggery was perfectly ok as long as you got away with it?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2662
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/17/2017 2:56:31 PM   
terje439

IFAB has suggested some drastic changes to the sport;

1. A freekick can be sent to yourself.
2. The ball no longer has to leave own 16 after a 5m or free kick within own 16.
3. Freekicks can be taken on a rolling ball
4. If a defending player (other than the keeper) uses his hands to stop the ball on the goal line, a goal is to be rewarded to the attacking team.
5. The ref can only stop the match if the ball is out of play
6. If a keeper picks up a pass from his own players, a penalty will be given to the other team.
7. After a penalty miss (save or miss) a 5m is to be given
8. Match time reduced to 60mins. Clock stopped every time the ball is out of play.

< Message edited by terje439 -- 6/17/2017 2:57:33 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2663
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/17/2017 7:04:11 PM   
Orm

quote:

2. The ball no longer has to leave own 16 after a 5m or free kick within own 16.
4. If a defending player (other than the keeper) uses his hands to stop the ball on the goal line, a goal is to be rewarded to the attacking team.
6. If a keeper picks up a pass from his own players, a penalty will be given to the other team.
8. Match time reduced to 60mins. Clock stopped every time the ball is out of play.

Bonkers.

Thank you for sharing.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2664
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/17/2017 7:12:03 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Who/what is IFAB?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2665
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/17/2017 7:13:55 PM   
Orm

quote:

Who/what is IFAB?

International Football Association Board is the guys who decides the rules for football.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Football_Association_Board

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2666
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/17/2017 7:18:19 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Who/what is IFAB?

International Football Association Board is the guys who decides the rules for football.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Football_Association_Board
warspite1

If football were struggling, attendances falling, people moving to other sports, revenues from sponsors and TV falling, reflecting a reduction in appeal, I could understand why changes would perhaps need to be considered.

But that is not happening - it is the world game - and its popularity continues to grow. Leave it alone you morons.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2667
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/17/2017 7:19:39 PM   
Orm

quote:

If football were struggling, attendances falling, people moving to other sports, revenues from sponsors and TV falling, reflecting a reduction in appeal, I could understand why changes would perhaps need to be considered.

But that is not happening - it is the world game - and its popularity continues to grow. Leave it alone you morons.

Hear, hear.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2668
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/17/2017 7:35:13 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

Hear, hear.

Do soccer leagues have salary caps, like American sports do?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2669
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/17/2017 8:29:11 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

quote:

Hear, hear.

Do soccer leagues have salary caps, like American sports do?

Nope, but there are some rules that apply in some leagues like Premier League. You cannot increase your yearly wage budget more than a set percent.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2670
Page:   <<   < prev  87 88 [89] 90 91   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  87 88 [89] 90 91   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI