Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/2/2017 2:52:38 PM   
MakeeLearn

Found this turtle laying eggs, a little late in the season. We had found a small snapping turtle the day before.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 7/2/2017 3:26:43 PM >

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 3211
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/2/2017 3:00:49 PM   
MakeeLearn

One of the swimming holes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3212
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/2/2017 3:36:55 PM   
MakeeLearn

Staghorn Sumac "Indian Lemonade", makes a great refreshing drink.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3213
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/3/2017 1:25:24 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Nice pics of the hawk. The bird activity has been very high this year. Saw a cuckoo-bird for the first in time in several years. Tanager, buntings and warblers are numerous this year.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3214
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/4/2017 3:37:43 AM   
wdolson

I came really close to hitting a hawk yesterday. I was on a freeway cloverleaf and the hawk took off just as I came around the curve. It was having a really tough time gaining altitude and just barely cleared the car. It may have been a falcon, we have a lot of peregrines around here. It was too small to be an eagle, and most of the eagles around here are bald eagles which are easy to spot.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3215
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/4/2017 5:32:41 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I came really close to hitting a hawk yesterday. I was on a freeway cloverleaf and the hawk took off just as I came around the curve. It was having a really tough time gaining altitude and just barely cleared the car. It may have been a falcon, we have a lot of peregrines around here. It was too small to be an eagle, and most of the eagles around here are bald eagles which are easy to spot.

Bill

Possibly a young one not full strength yet??

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 3216
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/4/2017 5:52:52 AM   
wdolson

It's possible, I only saw it for a second. Looking at a raptor website, it was probably a red tail hawk. They are pretty common along highways around here, they aren't too proud to eat roadkill.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3217
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/4/2017 5:04:19 PM   
Orm

Here I heard that most of the predator birds hunting along the highways are either old or sick. That they hunt there because they have a difficult time with their standard hunting method.

No idea of the validity of that though.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 3218
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/4/2017 6:45:29 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Here I heard that most of the predator birds hunting along the highways are either old or sick. That they hunt there because they have a difficult time with their standard hunting method.

That's not the case around here. Most of the raptors hunting by the roadside(s) are juveniles that are getting used to hunting and going for the 'easy prey' around highways and cleared brush lanes by roads. It's like eating at a fast food joint when you're growing up-it keeps you from going hungry, but it's not something that one should mistake for healthy eating habits.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3219
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/4/2017 7:36:19 PM   
geofflambert

Until the crows gang up on them.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3220
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/4/2017 9:51:04 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

That's not the case around here. Most of the raptors hunting by the roadside(s) are juveniles that are getting used to hunting and going for the 'easy prey' around highways and cleared brush lanes by roads. It's like eating at a fast food joint when you're growing up-it keeps you from going hungry, but it's not something that one should mistake for healthy eating habits.

It isn't just the road kill they are after. I have often seen hawks dive down to the road embankment and ditch to grab prey. The cut-back of the grass and shrubs makes it much easier for them to see their victims.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3221
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/5/2017 2:55:20 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

It isn't just the road kill they are after. I have often seen hawks dive down to the road embankment and ditch to grab prey. The cut-back of the grass and shrubs makes it much easier for them to see their victims.

I think you may have misread my post. That's what the hawks around here do as well. I've not seen any feeding on road kill-that's not usually their style. Besides, they'd have to fend off the myriad vultures (two species) around these here parts.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3222
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/5/2017 3:11:23 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

Bill

I came VERY close to hitting a Bald Eagle last year, going over a slight hill in a place in Colorado called South Park. He was coming up from the other side as we both crested at the same time. I had my pop-up camper in the truck, and he missed that by an inch, if that! I'm not sure which of us was scared more!!

Attachment (1)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 3223
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/5/2017 4:33:16 PM   
Zorch

This thread has REALLY gone to the birds.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3224
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/5/2017 7:00:41 PM   
geofflambert

buzzards too

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3225
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/5/2017 7:35:30 PM   
Zorch

Here are some birds...of prey.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3226
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/5/2017 8:29:49 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Another bird of prey.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3227
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/5/2017 8:30:44 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

Another bird of prey.

Another bird of prey...you can't see it because it's cloaked.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3228
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/5/2017 10:49:35 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

quote:

Bill

I came VERY close to hitting a Bald Eagle last year, going over a slight hill in a place in Colorado called South Park. He was coming up from the other side as we both crested at the same time. I had my pop-up camper in the truck, and he missed that by an inch, if that! I'm not sure which of us was scared more!!

So while you were watching the eagle skim your truck camper, I hope you didn't hit any other wildlife ....

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3229
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/6/2017 4:48:31 AM   
wdolson

quote:

I think you may have misread my post. That's what the hawks around here do as well. I've not seen any feeding on road kill-that's not usually their style. Besides, they'd have to fend off the myriad vultures (two species) around these here parts.

I think there are vultures on the eastern side of the Cascades, but on this side, I've never seen any. They are everywhere in California though.

Even if they are after live prey, sitting on road signs and such is a good way to conserve energy. They don't need to burn calories staying airborne. I have seen hawks and eagles go after road kill though they do prefer live prey.

We had a bald eagle in our backyard once. We heard blue jays going nuts and they were die bombing the eagle who was just sitting there. The blue jays were nesting in the nearby hedge. After sitting there for a few minutes, the eagle took off with a rabbit in its talons. It was probably waiting for the rabbit to quit struggling before taking off.

I hear eagles all the time in the summer, but don't see them at the house very often. We see them all the time circling over the main highway into Vancouver (WA). There are lots of tall trees along one stretch and I think they nest in those trees. It's also very close to the Columbia at that point. Between the highway and the river, there is plenty of game for them.

Bill

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3230
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/7/2017 2:45:59 PM   
geofflambert

Just ran into this in Wikipedia. As far as I recall, Napoleon never set foot in Spain in his life. In any case, General Junot led a Corps (not THE French Army) into Spain, on his way to Portugal.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 7/7/2017 2:52:14 PM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 3231
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/7/2017 2:50:53 PM   
geofflambert

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 7/7/2017 2:51:37 PM >

Post #: 3232
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/7/2017 3:06:26 PM   
MakeeLearn

Yes, for you I will pull the cannon...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3233
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/7/2017 3:43:01 PM   
BBfanboy

Just pull your own cannon and leave mine alone ...

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3234
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/7/2017 3:49:52 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Napoleon was in Spain from late 1808 to early 1809, when he had to run back and organize an army to face the Austrians. After he won that campaign he never felt the need to go back to Spain.

Post #: 3235
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/7/2017 5:04:18 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

Napoleon was in Spain from late 1808 to early 1809, when he had to run back and organize an army to face the Austrians. After he won that campaign he never felt the need to go back to Spain.

Indeed. After making his brother King of Spain, what more could be done?

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 3236
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/7/2017 5:16:31 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Just pull your own cannon and leave mine alone ...

I was wondering if anyone would get that!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3237
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/7/2017 5:21:10 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

warspite1

Probably a wise move, having previously stabbed his ally in the back, I'm sure his reception would have been far from rapturous.....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 3238
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/7/2017 5:22:29 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

warspite1

Not that is what you call a woman!

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3239
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/7/2017 6:21:04 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

warspite1

Not that is what you call a woman!

I presume the first word in your comment s/b "now," - the word not is definitely out of place here.
Amazing what bared shoulders will do to you, Warspite!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3240
Page:   <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI