Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/31/2017 10:54:29 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Has anyone got any recommendations for books about President McKinley, the Spanish-American war and US 'Imperialism' please? Ideally I am looking for a couple of books coming from different perspectives.

Check this out: http://www.spanamwar.com/

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 5/31/2017 11:03:10 PM >

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2371
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/1/2017 1:08:54 AM   
berto

The Iran-Iraq War, by Pierre Razoux, Harvard University Press, 2015.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 2372
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/1/2017 5:55:42 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

Has anyone got any recommendations for books about President McKinley, the Spanish-American war and US 'Imperialism' please? Ideally I am looking for a couple of books coming from different perspectives.

Check this out: http://www.spanamwar.com/
warspite1

Thank-you I will check this out.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 2373
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/1/2017 6:27:37 AM   
Greybriar

I am currently reading West and East, book 2 of The War That Came Early series by Harry Turtledove.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2374
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/1/2017 1:31:55 PM   
Chickenboy

Just finished Samuel Elliot Morrison's History of United States Naval Operations in World War II: Volume 6: Breaking the Bismarcks Barrier for the second time. Damn good reading what.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 2375
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/2/2017 10:46:36 PM   
fritzfarlig

Yom Kippur War 1973 (2)
by Simon Dunstan

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2376
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/4/2017 7:17:41 PM   
cpdeyoung

quote:

Just finished Samuel Elliot Morrison's History of United States Naval Operations in World War II: Volume 6: Breaking the Bismarcks Barrier for the second time. Damn good reading what.

I remember this fine series was a must gift for my Mother to give my Father (U.S.S Idaho) as the volumes came out.

Chuck

(in reply to fritzfarlig)
Post #: 2377
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/7/2017 4:39:25 PM   
fodder

quote:

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

quote:

I remember this fine series was a must gift for my Mother to give my Father (U.S.S Idaho) as the volumes came out.

Chuck

Yeah, this is a great series. I've yet to read it cover to cover, but I do reference it often.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 2378
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/7/2017 4:44:31 PM   
fodder

Got my nose stuck in a copy of "Warships of the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1869-1945 by Hansgeorg Jentschura, Dieter Jung and Peter Mickel. Lot and lots of interesting information.

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 2379
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/7/2017 7:55:08 PM   
wesy

Got this a couple of weeks ago - Anatomy of the Ship - Battleships Yamato and Musashi by Janusz Skulski, Stephan Dreminski

Attachment (2)

"I ran into Isosceles. He had a great idea for a new triangle!"...Woody Allen

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 2380
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/10/2017 10:19:29 AM   
warspite1

The Hollow Legions - Mussolini's blunder in Greece 1940-41 (Cervi)

(in reply to wesy)
Post #: 2381
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/12/2017 12:00:33 AM   
Zorch

2 new books to keep an eye out for:

'The Battleship Warspite: Detailed in the Original Builder's Plans' December 1, 2017

"The technical details of early 20th century British warships were recorded in a set of plans produced by the builders on completion of every ship. Known as the “as fitted” general arrangements, these drawings documented the exact appearance and fitting of the ship as it entered service. Today these plans form part of the incomparable collection of the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich, which is using the latest scanning technology to make digital copies of the highest quality. This book is the first of a series based entirely on these drafts which will depict famous warships in an unprecedented degree of detail―complete sets in full color, with many close-ups and enlargements that make every aspect clear and comprehensible. The celebrated battleship Warspite is an ideal introduction to this new series―an apparently familiar subject, but the result is an anatomy that will fascinate every warship enthusiast and modeler."

'The Battleship Holiday: The Naval Treaties and Capital Ship Design' December 1, 2017

"Even as World War I was ending, the victorious great powers were already embarked on a potentially ruinous new naval arms race, competing to incorporate the wartime lessons and technology into ever-larger and costlier capital ships. This competition was curtailed by the Washington Naval Treaty of 1922, which effectively banned the construction of such ships for years to come, and mandated the scrapping of those under construction. This “holiday” was to have profound effects on design when battleship building was renewed in the 1930s, as later international agreements continued to restrict size and firepower.
This book investigates the implications of these treaties on technical developments. An analysis of how well these modern ships stood the test of war concludes this intriguing and original contribution to the literature. "

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2382
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/12/2017 4:24:47 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

'The Battleship Warspite: Detailed in the Original Builder's Plans' December 1, 2017

"The technical details of early 20th century British warships were recorded in a set of plans produced by the builders on completion of every ship. Known as the “as fitted” general arrangements, these drawings documented the exact appearance and fitting of the ship as it entered service. Today these plans form part of the incomparable collection of the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich, which is using the latest scanning technology to make digital copies of the highest quality. This book is the first of a series based entirely on these drafts which will depict famous warships in an unprecedented degree of detail―complete sets in full color, with many close-ups and enlargements that make every aspect clear and comprehensible. The celebrated battleship Warspite is an ideal introduction to this new series―an apparently familiar subject, but the result is an anatomy that will fascinate every warship enthusiast and modeler."

'The Battleship Holiday: The Naval Treaties and Capital Ship Design' December 1, 2017

"Even as World War I was ending, the victorious great powers were already embarked on a potentially ruinous new naval arms race, competing to incorporate the wartime lessons and technology into ever-larger and costlier capital ships. This competition was curtailed by the Washington Naval Treaty of 1922, which effectively banned the construction of such ships for years to come, and mandated the scrapping of those under construction. This “holiday” was to have profound effects on design when battleship building was renewed in the 1930s, as later international agreements continued to restrict size and firepower.
This book investigates the implications of these treaties on technical developments. An analysis of how well these modern ships stood the test of war concludes this intriguing and original contribution to the literature. "

warspite1

Strange. I've heard of the battleship Warspite, but not the battleship Holiday. HMS Holiday? USS Holiday? Nothing on Wikipedia either.....

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2383
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/12/2017 5:21:53 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Strange. I've heard of the battleship Warspite, but not the battleship Holiday. HMS Holiday? USS Holiday? Nothing on Wikipedia either.....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2384
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/12/2017 5:28:42 PM   
Greybriar

I am currently reading The Big Switch, book 3 in The War That Came Early series by Harry Turtledove.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2385
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/14/2017 11:02:10 PM   
fodder

Reeducating myself.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 2386
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/17/2017 11:50:57 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: fodder

Reeducating myself.

Some countries have camps for that.
Not that you'd want to go there.

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 2387
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/17/2017 11:57:28 AM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Another book on Jutland: 'The Grand Fleet, 1914-1916: Its Creation, Development and Work' by John Rushworth Jellicoe.
A reprint of his 1919 book.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2388
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/23/2017 4:59:44 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Another book on Jutland: 'The Grand Fleet, 1914-1916: Its Creation, Development and Work' by John Rushworth Jellicoe.
A reprint of his 1919 book.

warspite1

Worth a closer look - thanks.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2389
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/23/2017 7:13:14 PM   
mikkey

Tom Clancy - Red Rabbit from the Jack Ryan series

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2390
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2017 6:24:11 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: fodder

Reeducating myself.

warspite1

Call that a manual

No. That's a manual - or three

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/2/2017 12:10:04 PM >

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 2391
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2017 12:21:15 PM   
warspite1

quote:

The Hollow Legions - Mussolini's blunder in Greece 1940-41 (Cervi)
warspite1

Finished this wonderful book. Could have done with some pictures and - more importantly - some maps, but otherwise was superb in getting across the important points about the Greco-Italian war.

I thoroughly recommend this one.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2392
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2017 1:32:52 PM   
Greybriar

I am now reading Coup d'État, book 4 in The War That Came Early series by Harry Turtledove.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2393
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/15/2017 8:42:11 AM   
warspite1

I've started reading The Naval War in the Baltic 1939-45 (Grooss)

Okay start - the author writes in a clearly understandable and easy to read way, but he's spent the first chapter giving a very potted history of countries that border the Baltic Sea. Not uninteresting in itself, but too little to be really useful and so not really sure that this was needed.

I read on.....

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 2394
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/15/2017 8:39:43 PM   
Zorch

'Shadow over the Atlantic: The Luftwaffe and the U-boats: 1943–45'.
I found this while searching for The Naval War in the Baltic 1939-45.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2395
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/16/2017 6:30:41 AM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

I look forward to your thoughts on this.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2396
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/23/2017 11:01:19 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I look forward to your thoughts on this.

I do recommend it.
I have moved onto The Vikings and Their Enemies: Warfare in Northern Europe, 750–1100 by Philip Line

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2397
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/24/2017 1:07:45 AM   
wodin

Till The Trumpet Sounds Again Vol1. Totally outstanding, as usual Helion publishing publish another superb book, you can't go wrong with Helion. If you have any interest in WW1 then this and Vol2 are MUST reads. Also several books in in the fictional WW1 story by Stuart Minor. Really enjoying it.

WW1 fiction book

Till The Trumpet...Link

< Message edited by wodin -- 7/24/2017 1:11:54 AM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2398
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/30/2017 2:48:33 PM   
warspite1

quote:

I've started reading The Naval War in the Baltic 1939-45 (Grooss)

Okay start - the author writes in a clearly understandable and easy to read way, but he's spent the first chapter giving a very potted history of countries that border the Baltic Sea. Not uninteresting in itself, but too little to be really useful and so not really sure that this was needed.

I read on.....
warspite1

I'm getting nowhere fast with this. Don't get me wrong, it's a really well written book - not a difficult read at all - but I am lacking motivation to get it out of my bag in the morning on the train

Given all the talk of Dunkirk and, having fired up Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw to Paris for the first time, I think I will put this on hold and head back to the Western Front 1940 stylee.

To that end I have just started Dunkirk the Patriotic Myth (Harman).

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2399
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/30/2017 3:26:42 PM   
wodin

Can I just reiterate...Helion Publishing is a publisher of quality. I've yet to read a book published by them that has disappointed me in any way what so ever. Infact most of my favourite reads have been published by Helion. SO if you like the look of a book and it's published by Helion I say GET IT!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2400
Page:   <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI