Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  392 393 [394] 395 396   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/16/2017 1:28:09 AM   
Bif1961

What ever happened to Chuck Cunningham?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11791
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/16/2017 1:44:37 AM   
Lovejoy

If you're going to do that, I'd go ahead an invade Korean using American and Commonwealth troops. Prevent the Korean War from happening!

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 11792
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/16/2017 3:44:07 PM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

What ever happened to Chuck Cunningham?

He went up the stairs one episode and never returned. The family probably doesn't want to talk about it.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 11793
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/16/2017 6:20:15 PM   
Canoerebel

11/2/44

Fancy Pants: Three reinforcing divisions mostly ashore, one at Foochow and two at Ningpo. Three reinforcing engineer units come ashore at Ningpo tomorrow, so work on the level 3.38 airfield should increase markedly. Bringing the airfield online for B-24J ops is the most important thing going on right now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 11794
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/16/2017 6:29:55 PM   
Lowpe

I just don't understand Japan, here. How can he have no fighters at Okayama, surely can scrape up something to be based?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11795
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/16/2017 6:41:28 PM   
Canoerebel

John has hundreds of fighters at many bases like Tokyo, Osaka, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, Kagoshima....and then others are curiously undefended. He's probably scrambling to get a grip on what's happening and how to defend. He's probably chewing nails over the whole strategic bombing at night system. Okayama was hit twice over three days but he didn't reinforce after the Day 1 attack and thus had the same defense for the Day 3 attack.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 11796
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/16/2017 8:29:37 PM   
Canoerebel

Man, the Forum has been active in John's AAR the past few days. Sometimes activity itself can be a clue, but there are three plausible possibilities that I've come up with, any equally likely: (1) just a random discussion of some fun topic that may not even pertain to AE; (2) the forum or a subset thereof is giving John grief for his Reverse Sir Robin Strategy (the other subset supporting the strategy); (3) John is considering or implementing a bold and big plan that will bring things to culmination.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11797
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/16/2017 8:44:25 PM   
Canoerebel

11/3/44

Fancy Pants: The Japanese left flank is in danger of collapsing, the right flank is in trouble; and, in the middle, John may be pulling back.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11798
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/16/2017 8:45:47 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Man, the Forum has been active in John's AAR the past few days. Sometimes activity itself can be a clue, but there are three plausible possibilities that I've come up with, any equally likely: (1) just a random discussion of some fun topic that may not even pertain to AE; (2) the forum or a subset thereof is giving John grief for his Reverse Sir Robin Strategy (the other subset supporting the strategy); (3) John is considering or implementing a bold and big plan that will bring things to culmination.

4) Fine dining in Hobart

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11799
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/16/2017 9:44:25 PM   
Kitakami

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

4) Fine dining in Hobart

5) Discussing the value of goat's milk in the daily diet.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 11800
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/17/2017 11:22:34 AM   
Bearcat2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kitakami

quote:

quote:

4) Fine dining in Hobart

5) Discussing the value of goat's milk in the daily diet.

6) The AE version of "how many angels can fit on the head of a pin"

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 11801
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/17/2017 12:27:17 PM   
ny59giants

7) How to view the solar eclipse safely on Monday?

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 11802
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/17/2017 12:56:14 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

John has hundreds of fighters at many bases like Tokyo, Osaka, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, Kagoshima....and then others are curiously undefended. He's probably scrambling to get a grip on what's happening and how to defend. He's probably chewing nails over the whole strategic bombing at night system. Okayama was hit twice over three days but he didn't reinforce after the Day 1 attack and thus had the same defense for the Day 3 attack.

I think everybody is learning a bit about strategic bombing. Looks like he has the main bases covered as well as he can. He is probably not thinking points so much as which factories are most important to his current plans. you two are playing different games me thinks. As for the KB? How do you know they are not down there for a picnic? Why would today be any different? :-)

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11803
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/17/2017 1:03:07 PM   
Barb

Actually I think a KB losses its purpose at some point of the game - it is the chess queen, that should be sacrificed along the way to keep the king alive. However in this game the KB is burning so much fuel sailing back and forth even if covering fuel/oil/resources flowing back to Japan - it becomes a liability.

You are positioned well for air assault against Japan, maybe a base or two closer to Kyushu for fighters and you are done with. If Japan evacuates DEI of its combat units leaving just KB and garrisons there, it is a bag of VPs to collapse once the supporting structure (KB) is taken out of picture. And be sure there is a lot of VPs lying there!

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 11804
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/17/2017 2:49:12 PM   
Bif1961

From inside, that is my plan to view the eclipse. Where I live it will be at 92%.

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 11805
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/17/2017 3:59:03 PM   
AcePylut

I live in Sc where I get to see 1 minute 30 seconds of totality. If I drive about 20 miles south (still debating) I get 2mins 42 seconds :)

But given my luck at observing space stuff (always seems to be cloudy when the meteor showers hit), it'll be storming and raining out this Monday.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 11806
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/17/2017 4:01:40 PM   
jwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

But given my luck at observing space stuff (always seems to be cloudy when the meteor showers hit), it'll be storming and raining out this Monday.

Yeah I am worried about the weather, though of course I have zero control over it. I live in N IL and we're supposed to get about 85% coverage. However, weather is predicted to be partly cloudy. How much do you want to bet where the clouds will be at the critical time?

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 11807
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/17/2017 4:16:45 PM   
JohnDillworth

Headed to Jackson Hole Wyoming tomorrow. Will view 100% totality from Grand Teton National Park

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 11808
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/17/2017 6:40:03 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth
....He is probably not thinking points so much as which factories are most important to his current plans. You two are playing different games me thinks. As for the KB? How do you know they are not down there for a picnic? Why would today be any different? :-)

We probably are literally playing different games. I'm working for the 2:1 auto victory (while also allowing for John to decide to continue the game). John has made it clear in the past that he doesn't play for aut vic. That position makes more sense from an early game standpoint than late in the game. If 2:1 auto vic in 1945 isn't the end game, what is? Do the Allies have to drop two nukes? Occupy Tokyo? Destroy the fleet to some subjective degree? Something else entirely?

Assuming John wishes to continue after 2:1, here's how I see things playing out:

1. The Allies will achieve 2:1 sometime in early 1945 - probably February or March. If so, to me that will be a decisive Allied victory. My "grading" takes into account the nature of the mod, the house rules, and the ability to close on Japan and batter her industry.
2. Over the coming months, leading up to 2:1 and thereafter, the Allied military strategy will be:

a) Heavy and sustained strategic bombing of Japanese industry from China and Formosa;
b) Major campaign to destroy enemy army in China and to eventually take all major cities in the lower half, including Shanghai, Canton, Hong Kong and Changsha;
c) Offensive operations in the DEI and vicinity to take major bases including Kendari, Balikpapan, Singapore, Palembang and probably all or most of Java;
d) Look for a chance to eventually neutralize or isolate the enemy fleet, especially carriers;
e) Avoid any risky operations that would allow John to combine KB and LBA in a massed strike;
f) I have units prepping for Korea and Bihoro, Hokkaido. I'll pull the trigger only if everything has gone so well that there's nothing left to do...and if John's defenses are so battered that he's basically defenseless.

John may spend the next six months keeping KB out of harm's way, out on the fringes accomplishing little of importance and doing little to materially impede the Allied air campaign and campaign in China; I suppose if KB is largely intact at 2:1 and afterwards, even while Japan is a smoldering heap of ruins, he'll claim that as a victory.

In that case, I'll just laugh. By any reasonable measure, a Japanese player has to use his assets as cleverly as possible to keep the Allies at bay as long as possible. John's weird Reverse Sir Robin strategy has failed to do that and he's paying the cost now. I haven't tried to chase down KB because the heart of the war is Japan and her industry.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 11809
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/17/2017 6:54:33 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

If 2:1 auto vic in 1945 isn't the end game, what is?

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of da women... "

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11810
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/17/2017 7:06:53 PM   
AcePylut

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

Yeah I am worried about the weather, though of course I have zero control over it. I live in N IL and we're supposed to get about 85% coverage. However, weather is predicted to be partly cloudy. How much do you want to bet where the clouds will be at the critical time?

I grew up in North Central Illinois, lived there for 40 years in the Illinois Valley (until I moved to SC a few years back due to my job). I remember back in 2012, reading about the "upcoming eclipse" and seeing it was going to pass through Southern Illinois... I though to myself "I better book a hotel room now, if they aren't already snatched up". Good thing I didn't, because I moved between then and now!

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 11811
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/17/2017 7:08:55 PM   
Canoerebel

That sounds like Richmond, 1865. "The night they drove ol' Dixie Down...."*

*That's a great song and for the most part accurate historically or at least plausibly consistent with history....but there is one flaw that I can't get past. "Virgil come quick...there comes a Robert E. Lee...." Well, the lyrics make clear that Virgil and his kinfolks are in Tennessee....and Lee wasn't there during the war (he might've been there very early in the war, as a colonel of the engineers - I don't think so, but I don't know for sure - but he was never there after he took command of the Army of Northern Virginia in 1862).

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 11812
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/17/2017 7:11:43 PM   
Canoerebel

11/4/44

KB: One division visible again. It helps to have an occasional sighting of a meaningful carrier force.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11813
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/17/2017 7:28:43 PM   
Canoerebel

11/4/44

Fancy Pants: On the left, the Japanese troops are getting battered. On the right, John has committed 2nd Tank Div. to an open hex. This is a surprise. 2EB will target it tomorrow, preceded (or possibly followed) by sweeps.

So John is feeding units into a meat grinder environment south of Hangchow, apparently rather desperate to impede the advancing Allied units. I'm okay with that as I'm going to have to fight these units at some point, and doing them close to my airfields should work well.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11814
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/17/2017 8:08:24 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

*That's a great song and for the most part accurate historically or at least plausibly consistent with history....but there is one flaw that I can't get past. "Virgil come quick...there comes a Robert E. Lee...." Well, the lyrics make clear that Virgil and his kinfolks are in Tennessee....and Lee wasn't there during the war (he might've been there very early in the war, as a colonel of the engineers - I don't think so, but I don't know for sure - but he was never there after he took command of the Army of Northern Virginia in 1862).

"Virgil Caine is my name, and I rode on the Danville train" From memory. The Danville I always thought it referred to is in southern Virginia, right on the NC border about 150 miles in from Norfolk. I believe some of the Confederate army was near Danville after Richmond fell, although Appomattox is a bit farther away to the north.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 8/17/2017 8:14:57 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11815
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/17/2017 8:25:09 PM   
Canoerebel

Yeah, Danville is in southern Virginia and there was a major railroad running from Richmond through Danville.

But a verse or two later, he's back with his wife in Tennessee when she says, "Come quick" and "see Robert E. Lee." Couldn't have happened that way. Ah, but it's just a song and a good one at that. Artistic license. Gives a pretty good feel for the misery of the war. But it chaffs the literalist in me - the lover of history - just a bit.

Post #: 11816
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/17/2017 8:26:27 PM   
JeffroK

quote:

quote:

"Virgil Caine is my name, and I rode on the Danville train" From memory. The Danville I always thought it referred to is in southern Virginia, right on the NC border about 150 miles in from Norfolk. I believe some of the Confederate army was near Danville after Richmond fell, although Appomattox is a bit farther away to the north.

I'll re-listen to my newly purchased 75th Birthday of Joan Baez CD, I have always thought it was "The Robert E Lee" and assumed it was a riverboat on the Tennesee????

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Post #: 11817
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/17/2017 8:47:57 PM   
Lecivius

According to the internet, the pertinent lyric goes

"Back with my wife in Tennessee, when one day she called to me
"Virgil, quick, come see, there goes Robert E Lee"
Now I don't mind choppin' wood, and I don't care if the money's no good
Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest,
But they should never have taken the very best"

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 11818
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/17/2017 8:58:01 PM   
JeffroK

But anything could be on the internet,

Ive got stuff entered in the internet

In the end, its a song, not an American History lesson.
(An Joan Baez didnt have the lyrics, she listened to a record for her version)

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 11819
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/17/2017 9:17:12 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

I took the lyric to mean post-war, when Lee was returning to Virginia and passed by their homestead. And I thought the part about the wife was that she was from Tennessee.

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 8/17/2017 9:26:04 PM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11820
Page:   <<   < prev  392 393 [394] 395 396   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  392 393 [394] 395 396   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI