Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  394 395 [396] 397 398   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/19/2017 2:07:28 PM   
Lovejoy

It's aways interesting to see when the last pension or payment by a government to certain individual or institution was made, as usually it's years after you would have thought.

The final payment that the British Treasury made on the debt it owed to the American government for Lend-Lease was made in December of 2006, when the final payment was made, the British Government formally thanked America for its wartime support.

The final payments made by the British Treasury to pay off the debt incurred during World War I were paid in 2015. At the same time, they also finished off payments on debts the British government incurred when the South Sea Company collapsed in 1720 (a span of 295 years).

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 11851
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/19/2017 5:10:32 PM   
AcePylut

I read something about 10 or so years ago, that the US gov't was still paying a widow's pension to a Civil War soldiers wife.

Story went like this - a 14/15 year old married a 90 year old Civil War vet around 1910-1920, and then this gold-digger lived to be 90+years herself, collecting $$ from the gov't the entire time.

(in reply to Lovejoy)
Post #: 11852
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/19/2017 5:20:34 PM   
Canoerebel

That happened frequently - old veteran marrying very young woman, who then draws a widow's pension into the 1990s and 2000s.

But they typically weren't "gold-diggers." To be honest, they typically were women with no good prospects for marriage. IE, they were often homely young ladies who knew the chances of marrying a likely young man of their own generation had come and gone, either with the wind or their rather uncomely appearances.j

But marry an old Confederate veteran and be guaranteed a pension for life. And you know how older men are - nearly any woman of a certain age looks good.

Does that sound crass?

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 11853
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/19/2017 9:08:31 PM   
AcePylut

Yes, crass on one side, gold-digging on the other side.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11854
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/19/2017 10:40:17 PM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

It would never been "Stonewall's cavalry," though. It would always be "Stonewall's foot cavalry."

There's no disguising it - Joan gets it wrong if she's singing "Stonewall's cavalry." There was no such thing. Besides, Stonewall's foot cavalry was never anywhere close to the Danville train.

Baez based her version on listening to records, not reading the lyrics, and like most folk music it morphs over the years.
I humbly suggest that she knew little about the ACW leaders other than Grant and Patton.

Are you trying to see if we are paying attention?

No,
I was suggesting that Joan Baez was a Folk Singer, and didnt give a stuff about the words as long as they roughly fitted the tune.

If you want to pick the eyes out of another song try "AND THE BAND PLAYED WALTZING MATILDA"

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 11855
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/19/2017 10:58:50 PM   
Canoerebel

I came across this post by John in a thread in the Mod forum: "Michael has a whole bunch of time off coming and I am going to limit myself to a turn a day with Dan so we can get the Mods buffed up and worked on."

For whatever reason, John hasn't mentioned this to me. He is not the Great Communicator.

If John is planning a slow down - if he feels he needs one - that's significant because we're only playing at slightly more than one turn per day (1.05 over the past three months; about 1.25 over the past month). IE, if he's consciously planning a slowdown and thinking we're playing at a pace considerably more than we actually are...and if he does slow down markedly...things are going to tail off considerably.

He's in a real pickle in the game right now, so that's what I really think is going on. It's tough to get up every morning and go to work when the work environment is mayhem and unhappy news and beatings.

I hope he'll continue to soldier on even if it's just the occasional turn. I think he will. He's done a commendable job thus far and I think he wants to see it through. I hope so, because I sure do.

In the meantime, I'm going to pick up the Allied side that Joseph just dropped in his game vs. Obvert, beginning February 1944. I'll give the game with John priority, but at one turn per day or less, that won't be an issue.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 11856
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/19/2017 11:13:16 PM   
BBfanboy

Canoerebel vs Obvert - sounds like a great match-up.
Have you played Evil Emperor Obvert before?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11857
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/19/2017 11:15:58 PM   
Canoerebel

Nope, never played Obvert before.

My opponents through the years: John III, Miller, Q-Ball, One-Eyed-Jacks, Panzerjager Hortlund.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 11858
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/20/2017 12:33:45 AM   
Lowpe

Good news, and good luck.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11859
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/20/2017 2:59:20 AM   
AcePylut

quote:

I came across this post by John in a thread in the Mod forum: "Michael has a whole bunch of time off coming and I am going to limit myself to a turn a day with Dan so we can get the Mods buffed up and worked on."

For whatever reason, John hasn't mentioned this to me. He is not the Great Communicator.

If John is planning a slow down - if he feels he needs one - that's significant because we're only playing at slightly more than one turn per day (1.05 over the past three months; about 1.25 over the past month). IE, if he's consciously planning a slowdown and thinking we're playing at a pace considerably more than we actually are...and if he does slow down markedly...things are going to tail off considerably.

He's in a real pickle in the game right now, so that's what I really think is going on. It's tough to get up every morning and go to work when the work environment is mayhem and unhappy news and beatings.

I hope he'll continue to soldier on even if it's just the occasional turn. I think he will. He's done a commendable job thus far and I think he wants to see it through. I hope so, because I sure do.

In the meantime, I'm going to pick up the Allied side that Joseph just dropped in his game vs. Obvert, beginning February 1944. I'll give the game with John priority, but at one turn per day or less, that won't be an issue.

I wouldn't complain. I just had another opponent do the "one turn per day... then twice per week... then once per week... and now three weeks with nothing, not even an email or anything."

Another game tried, and didn't make it out of '42... again. *sigh*

Looks like I"m back to looking for an opponent.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11860
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/20/2017 3:49:26 AM   
palioboy2

A Japanese or Allied opponent? I think my current game is headed the same way.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 11861
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/20/2017 4:01:39 AM   
AcePylut

I'd prefer to play against a Japanese opponent. I've not played Japanese except a few months against AI, and I fear that I would make many many economy/production mistakes early, and the game would be effectively over in '43 due to my inexperience with the "non-military" aspect of the Jap game. I didn't really make it far against the AI, because the AI, is, well, AI.

(in reply to palioboy2)
Post #: 11862
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/20/2017 4:34:31 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

"Stonewall's Foot Calvary". He would have tore up his own tracks if they were getting ready to fall into the hands of the Yankees.

Would have and did. "Stonewall" Jackson was of course heavily involved in the back-and-forth advances and retreats in the Shenandoah, and there is reason to believe that he was the true inventor of the "Sherman necktie" technique of twisting rails so they became unuseable.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 11863
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/20/2017 4:45:01 AM   
Lovejoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

"Stonewall's Foot Calvary". He would have tore up his own tracks if they were getting ready to fall into the hands of the Yankees.

Would have and did. "Stonewall" Jackson was of course heavily involved in the back-and-forth advances and retreats in the Shenandoah, and there is reason to believe that he was the true inventor of the "Sherman necktie" technique of twisting rails so they became unuseable.

There's a story I love from Jackson's Shenandoah Campaign: He'd just smashed a Union Army under Nathaniel Banks as Port Republic, and chased it all the way to the Potomac. Well Banks (a political general who was hardly inspiring) attempted to rally his army. He stopped and shouted at them "Stop men! Don't you love your country?" One of the soldiers halted, looked at him and said "Yes by God! And I'm trying to get back to it just as fast as I can!"

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 11864
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/20/2017 7:30:02 AM   
bobsteele

quote:

I, for one, think that John will try, if in a desultory fashion, to at least make 1/1/45. He has a history of tapping out when faced with serious adversity and the run amok period for Japan is over. I suspect he is only hanging on now because, as noted weeks? months? ago by someone else in your AAR that to not continue to some sort of conclusion in this game, his mod, and an early severely unbalanced version of the mod, would not be so good for his reputation.

I hope you will be able to do an AAR on the game you pick up. I think you write an excellent AAR, and your maps are perhaps the best I have seen to illustrate the situation at hand. I realize that an AAR must be time-consuming to write, but I for one, would like an occasional in-depth glance at the logistics and other 'behind the scenes' planning you engage in.

best in this game, and in the one you are picking up

gene

< Message edited by bobsteele -- 8/20/2017 7:31:34 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11865
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/20/2017 8:50:58 PM   
palioboy2

This slow down in turns is really messing with my coffee break reading.

(in reply to bobsteele)
Post #: 11866
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/21/2017 2:26:45 AM   
Canoerebel

John's had a busy weekend of work, social engagements and bumps and bruises after taking a fall from a ladder.

I believe he's also fighting a bad case of battle fatigue. All the signs are there, behind his comments, between the lines, underlying his actions. I would not be surprised if the most recent turn didn't add to the effect. I'm interesting in seeing it.

In a moment of candor months ago - perhaps before Luzon - John mentioned that he knew what he had to do but that he couldn't bring himself to do it. He was referring to committing KB in a desperate, bloody, and perhaps futile effort to stop the Allied onslaught.

I believe he would've been far better off doing so, both as a military strategy and feeling "right" about his handling of the Japanese military. But he talked himself into what I'm calling the Reverse Sir Robin strategy. There seemed to be some merit to it, making it an alluring concept at first. And it might have worked out under some circumstances. But it didn't. And now he's left with a poorer position to show for it and still the grimmest of choices left to him now - commit KB at this bitter end of the game or just see it wither on the fine.

The game is extremely interesting to me at this point, in part because John still has a strong air force and navy. There is always the prospect of him lashing out suddenly and decisively; of him perhaps getting lucky or me getting careless or making a mistake. And a little mistake in these congested waters might turn catastrophic. So the game is very tense from that aspect and very interesting from the aspect of employing end-game strategies and assets against Japan.

But for the past few months, as much as I've enjoyed the challenge of playing John, I've faced key challenges in (1) playing against the clock - trying to complete the endgame within the right time frame; (2) playing against the map - logistics, logistics, logistics!; and (3) playing against myself - trying to avoid making a mistake, getting sloppy, failing to execute plans, or just plain screwing up in some material way. Those aspects of PBEM have been challenging and interesting.

Some players have previously commented that I've played the game rather methodically - meaning, in part, proceeding deliberately but perhaps at the expense of doing the big things that might be exciting - invading the Home Islands! Sending Death Star into the Sea of Japan! Etc.!

From my perspective the game has proceeded at a rather breakneck speed. The attenuated LOC, the logistics challenges, and the punching forward without every my battle fleet going to port, has seemed frantic, from my perspective.

Then I opened the Obvert vs. Sqz/Historiker game file for 3/2/44. It's just amazing at the lack of bloodshed there. So many ships on the map! All those guys seem to have played much more carefully with their assets than John and I have.

Do you all recall my frequent claims throughout the game that I was playing a "front-loaded" strategy - accruing heavy losses early to put myself in a better position later? That the Allies had expended heavily and that a time would come to harvest victory points - delayed gratification that I expected would pay big dividends?

I was always confident that would prove true. But there was always the chance I'd have miscalculated or that I'd screw something up and never quite reach the long-hoped-for points harvesting stage of the game.

But I think things have played out well.

(in reply to palioboy2)
Post #: 11867
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/21/2017 2:36:22 AM   
Canoerebel

Dang it! There's a word I was looking for that I thought might fit John's current morale perfectly. It's right on the tip of my tongue, but I can't pull it off. I've checked various thesauruses without luck.

The word begins with the letters: ka

It might have a military connotation, though I can't specifically remember. It might be a term with French origins.

What is the word I'm looking for?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11868
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/21/2017 3:15:28 AM   
Lovejoy

kaputt? It's a german word for broken.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11869
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/21/2017 3:30:40 AM   
Canoerebel

No, I think it's a word from desert warfare or jungle warfare, perhaps from WWII or perhaps Vietnam. It's driving me crazy. I can't find it anywhere. It may be a term specific to just one book or author or used just once by a specific unit somewhere like Okinawa or Guadalcanal or Ia Drang Valley.

(in reply to Lovejoy)
Post #: 11870
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/21/2017 3:51:18 AM   
Bearcat2

Knackered?

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11871
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/21/2017 3:54:00 AM   
Canoerebel

Nope.

Sorry, I'm gonna drive you guys bonkers too. This isn't it, but I keep thinking: "kafarta" or "kafka" or something of that sort. But it isn't those words (if they are words).

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 11872
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/21/2017 4:02:52 AM   
Kofiman

I suspect Obvert / Historiker was coloured by the loss of half of KB on December 8th.

I don't know that word but I do know that feeling. I ran into a word for the profession of prospective juror in a retirement memoirs of a WWII era constable, and I can't remember it now.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11873
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/21/2017 4:56:29 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Dang it! There's a word I was looking for that I thought might fit John's current morale perfectly. It's right on the tip of my tongue, but I can't pull it off. I've checked various thesauruses without luck.

The word begins with the letters: ka

It might have a military connotation, though I can't specifically remember. It might be a term with French origins.

What is the word I'm looking for?

Only thing that comes to mind is "kaka", sometimes spelled "caca". Not what you are looking for but it fits with what I imagine John's morale to be.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11874
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/21/2017 6:29:20 AM   
JeffroK

kactus??

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 11875
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/21/2017 9:29:01 AM   
nicwb

Kadavergehorsam — "absolute duty and blind obedience till death."; lit.: "carcass obedience" ?

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 11876
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/21/2017 1:40:32 PM   
CaptBeefheart

Hors de combat?

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 11877
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/21/2017 1:57:03 PM   
jwolf

cafard

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 11878
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/21/2017 2:05:14 PM   
Smoky Stoker

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

cafard

= "Too much time in garrison and not enough in the field." That may describe the problem of John's KB.

"Leveling large cities has a tendency to alienate the affections of the inhabitants and does not create an atmosphere of international good will after the war." -Rear Admiral Daniel V. Gallery

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 11879
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/21/2017 2:05:22 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

cafard

severe depression or apathy —used especially of white people in the tropics

Origin and Etymology of cafard
French, literally, cockroach, from Middle French, cockroach, hypocrite, modification of Arabic kāfir infidel
NEW! Time Traveler
First Known Use: 1915

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 11880
Page:   <<   < prev  394 395 [396] 397 398   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  394 395 [396] 397 398   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI