Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  86 87 [88] 89 90   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/29/2017 10:43:42 AM   
berto

After slogging through watching the full 18-hour cut of the Burns/Novick documentary The Vietnam War, I can say ...

It was fairly even handed, a bit slanted, but closer to 50-50 than to 60-40 or worse. Except for one sainted politician (no, I don't mean JFK, who got his share of criticism, albeit with punches pulled), the virtues and faults of all participants, all sides were on display. There was, inescapably, an asymmetry of treatment, because on one side you had open, free societies (with a free press, freedom to protest, etc.) and on the other totalitarian societies (with absolute control of the media, having the ability and will to incarcerate dissidents, etc.). So although the sins of one side were covered at great length in commentary, film, still pictures, and music, the faults of the other side were usually mentioned briefly, in words, in passing only. (Several North Vietnamese said they might yet get in trouble for speaking so freely about their bad stuff.) Still, those faults were mentioned, if not dwelled upon. Give the documentary makers credit for that.

(About the 10-hour international cut, I expect they left out footage and details about U.S. domestic politics, and many of the talking head commentaries.)

Unavoidably, lots of politics of course, but more air time was given to the conflict and the experiences of the ordinary fighting men and women and their leaders.

Well worth a watch. Engrossing. Highly recommended.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2611
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/29/2017 10:49:19 AM   
durangokid

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Tin Star

Well I've given up on that... very disappointing.

Thanks for this. I have several episodes saved up and now I can bin them.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2612
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/29/2017 10:51:41 AM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

After slogging through watching the full 18-hour cut of the Burns/Novick documentary The Vietnam War, I can say ...

It was fairly even handed, a bit slanted, but closer to 50-50 than to 60-40 or worse. Except for one sainted politician (no, I don't mean JFK, who got his share of criticism, albeit with punches pulled), the virtues and faults of all participants, all sides were on display. There was, inescapably, an asymmetry of treatment, because on one side you had open, free societies (with a free press, freedom to protest, etc.) and on the other totalitarian societies (with absolute control of the media, having the ability and will to incarcerate dissidents, etc.). So although the sins of one side were covered at great length in commentary, film, still pictures, and music, the faults of the other side were usually mentioned briefly, in words, in passing only. (Several North Vietnamese said they might yet get in trouble for speaking so freely about their bad stuff.) Still, those faults were mentioned, if not dwelled upon. Give the documentary makers credit for that.

(About the 10-hour international cut, I expect they left out footage and details about U.S. domestic politics, and many of the talking head commentaries.)

Unavoidably, lots of politics of course, but more air time was given to the conflict and the experiences of the ordinary fighting men and women and their leaders.

A bit slanted to what? A must watch for me!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 2613
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/29/2017 11:08:15 AM   
berto

The politics of the documentary makers are well known. It was evident who they most closely identified with -- the war protesters. The protesters were the clear heroes here.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2614
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/29/2017 12:34:34 PM   
wings7

quote:

The politics of the documentary makers are well known. It was evident who they most closely identified with -- the war protesters. The protesters were the clear heroes here.

I respectfully disagree, Ken Burns is a Centrist. I look forward to viewing it.

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 2615
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/29/2017 2:03:25 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

Well, then it looses a lot of important details. It's a shame.

quote:

I've finished watching the sixth episode so my opinion may still change, but so far the perception I get is if there are any heroes at all, these are the soldiers, of both sides.
It's possible that the war protestors play a bigger role in the final episodes, after 1968.

< Message edited by VPaulus -- 9/29/2017 2:09:40 PM >

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 2616
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/29/2017 2:53:46 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Berto,

Thank you for coming back to this forum with your complete review. Upon your recommendation I will watch this series. I appreciate your perspective and your feedback.

Cheers mate.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 2617
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/29/2017 3:29:52 PM   
Goodmongo

So I watched all of Ken Burn's Vietnam series. I give it a grade of B-. Here's why. First off I felt he covered most of the facts correctly. I think he only got things wrong on number of draftees vs. volunteers (claiming at one point the whole force in Vietnam was draftees) and being very misleading on number of blacks killed in the war. he used statistics that left out officers and prefaced it by saying "enlisted men".

The other thing he did that was unfair in my opinion is the time spent on various subjects. For example when it came to US atrocities he would spend 20-30 minutes on it but as soon as it was switched to the Weathermen or NLF atrocities there was a 1-2 minute segment that basically mention it but never got into the details he did for US stuff.

It was also clear that he sided with the war protesters point of view. He would have 3 or 4 people comment on it from the anti-war side then maybe one vet saying how badly they were treated. Or take for example the various marches on DC against the war. There would be long segments on how many people showed up etc. But then there would be 1-2 sentences on how polling viewed the data where the majority of the US population did not agree with the anti-war folks, especially their tactics.

At a B- it is worth watching. But it also does have an agenda and that is to say the anti-war folks were the "good" Americans.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2618
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/29/2017 3:39:02 PM   
Goodmongo

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

quote:

As you said you haven't watched it yet. But Berto is 100% correct. It was VERY clear who the heroes in the documentary were. Basically Burns elevated the anti-war demonstrators to the same level as the people doing the actual fighting. He even played up Kent State to be on par where they had sacrificed for the country same as the vets. I have no idea if Burns is a centrist as that term is defined differently for each and every person alive today. But the documentary does indeed elevate the anti-war folks to hero status.

One more example. The show shows Kerry's speech and basically goes to some effort to say a large number of the vet's committed atrocities. He painted the vet's with a very large brush. But when it came to the anti-war folks the show tried very hard to say it was a small faction (Weathermen and a couple other groups) that were responsible. Even the standard of violent protests (breaking windows, throwing rocks etc.) was portrayed as "the crazies" (term actually used) to separate it from the anti-war marches.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2619
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/29/2017 4:04:36 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodmongo

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

quote:

As you said you haven't watched it yet. But Berto is 100% correct. It was VERY clear who the heroes in the documentary were. Basically Burns elevated the anti-war demonstrators to the same level as the people doing the actual fighting. He even played up Kent State to be on par where they had sacrificed for the country same as the vets. I have no idea if Burns is a centrist as that term is defined differently for each and every person alive today. But the documentary does indeed elevate the anti-war folks to hero status.

One more example. The show shows Kerry's speech and basically goes to some effort to say a large number of the vet's committed atrocities. He painted the vet's with a very large brush. But when it came to the anti-war folks the show tried very hard to say it was a small faction (Weathermen and a couple other groups) that were responsible. Even the standard of violent protests (breaking windows, throwing rocks etc.) was portrayed as "the crazies" (term actually used) to separate it from the anti-war marches.

Political debates are not done on the Matrix boards, let's end it here please.

(in reply to Goodmongo)
Post #: 2620
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/29/2017 4:20:20 PM   
Goodmongo

I am not trying to get into any political debate and don't want to. I am trying to report what the series actually showed and used examples from the series. The series as Berto also said elevated the anti-war folks to hero status.

They interviewed a guy that ran to Canada. He eventually renounced his US citizenship and became a Canadian citizen. He regrets this and the documentary portrays it as the "price he had to pay for standing up for his ideals." There are also other examples I can easily cite where the series portrayed the anti-war folks as having "suffered" (term the series used).

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2621
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/29/2017 6:07:00 PM   
Orm

Anyone read the Vietnam book that go along with the Burns documentary?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Goodmongo)
Post #: 2622
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/30/2017 3:55:31 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Anyone read the Vietnam book that go along with the Burns documentary?
warspite1

No but I bought a book for my elder warspite's history course The Vietnam War (Mark Atwood Lawrence). I saw from the reviews that this provided a good overview of the conflict. I am generally not interested in warfare post-Hiroshima, but this discussion and the Ken Burns documentary has piqued my interest so will give this a read just as soon as I have finished War In The West Volume 1 .

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2623
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/30/2017 4:56:15 PM   
redcoat

Egypt's Great Pyramid: The New Evidence on C4

Also available on the C4 website at the moment:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/egypts-great-pyramid-the-new-evidence

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2624
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/30/2017 11:58:02 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodmongo

So I watched all of Ken Burn's Vietnam series. I give it a grade of B-. Here's why. First off I felt he covered most of the facts correctly. I think he only got things wrong on number of draftees vs. volunteers (claiming at one point the whole force in Vietnam was draftees) and being very misleading on number of blacks killed in the war. he used statistics that left out officers and prefaced it by saying "enlisted men".

The other thing he did that was unfair in my opinion is the time spent on various subjects. For example when it came to US atrocities he would spend 20-30 minutes on it but as soon as it was switched to the Weathermen or NLF atrocities there was a 1-2 minute segment that basically mention it but never got into the details he did for US stuff.

It was also clear that he sided with the war protesters point of view. He would have 3 or 4 people comment on it from the anti-war side then maybe one vet saying how badly they were treated. Or take for example the various marches on DC against the war. There would be long segments on how many people showed up etc. But then there would be 1-2 sentences on how polling viewed the data where the majority of the US population did not agree with the anti-war folks, especially their tactics.

At a B- it is worth watching. But it also does have an agenda and that is to say the anti-war folks were the "good" Americans.

Very useful Goodmongo. Thanks.

I'd hopes that Ken Burns' work wouldn't take the 'easy way' out and reproduce the facile modern view of the war that you describe. I'll have to investing my time and attention now.

(in reply to Goodmongo)
Post #: 2625
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/1/2017 4:10:17 AM   
warspite1

I'm currently watching BBC's Rellik with Richard Dormer (Game of Thrones and Fortitude). This is a crime drama where we see the end - the shooting dead of a suspect by police - and then the events are played backwards in time. Never seen this concept before - but it really works!

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 10/1/2017 4:29:58 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2626
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/1/2017 3:18:25 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

I'm currently watching BBC's Rellik with Richard Dormer (Game of Thrones and Fortitude). This is a crime drama where we see the end - the shooting dead of a suspect by police - and then the events are played backwards in time. Never seen this concept before - but it really works!

The backword narrative/structure was used before in at least two movies that I have seen, Memento and Irréversible.
In my opinion both are worth seeing, but Irréversible... let's say it's not a movie for everyone.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2627
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/1/2017 4:04:55 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

quote:

The backword narrative/structure was used before in at least two movies that I have seen, Memento and Irréversible.
In my opinion both are worth seeing, but Irréversible... let's say it's not a movie for everyone.
warspite1

Just checked wiki for Irreversible . I might give that one a miss

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 10/4/2017 6:35:22 AM >

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 2628
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/1/2017 8:07:44 PM   
Goodmongo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Very useful Goodmongo. Thanks.

I'd hopes that Ken Burns' work wouldn't take the 'easy way' out and reproduce the facile modern view of the war that you describe. I'll have to investing my time and attention now.

Rereading my comment I may have left a confused stance as to how the documentary portrayed the vets that fought there. He was very sympathetic to them. He had Galloway talk about Col Hal Moore and that battle. There were plenty of spots where he praised the young men as doing their duty.

So it was very fair in those regards. It showed how the average US soldier fought bravely, especially up till 1970. How no matter how silly the order they did all they could to accomplish it.

It was only how in my opinion, and my wife who also watched it with me, that he painted with a very broad brush the atrocities that some committed. Those things happened and they needed to be included.

I think anyone interested in that war or time period should watch the documentary and judge it for themselves.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2629
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/1/2017 9:23:53 PM   
Lovejoy

I just finished season 5 of the old BBC show 'Allo 'Allo!

(in reply to Goodmongo)
Post #: 2630
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/4/2017 4:42:15 PM   
warspite1

Up to the end of episode 4 of the Ken Burns documentary. As someone who knew nothing about the war, this is proving excellent to watch and learn from.

One comment that annoyed me though was the anti-war bloke who rather self-righteously proclaimed that when the middle classes got involved it was a protest about self-interest and not about the injustice of the war. Presumably he asked everyone about their motivations?

(in reply to Lovejoy)
Post #: 2631
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/4/2017 5:59:47 PM   
Kuokkanen

Yesterday I watched documentary about Tiger 131

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 2632
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/4/2017 6:31:29 PM   
Orm

Watching season three of Broadchurch.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 2633
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/6/2017 12:43:17 AM   
VPaulus

Blade Runner 2049

Being a fan of the original movie, I had the worst expectations regarding the movie. Some things are just better left untouched.
No, it's not as good as Blade Runner (how could it be), but there's an honest effort to respect the original movie.
Avoiding any spoilers, I'd just say it adds a couple of things to the original story and obviously it tries to develop it a little further.

As a curiosity, the script for Blade Runner 2049, was written by Hampton Fancher, which was the original screenwriter of Blade Runner, before Ridley Scott replaced him with David Peoples.
It's funny to see that some of the ideas that were abandoned by Ridley and David Peoples, are now in this movie.

Unfortunately, the soundtrack is miles away from the one composed by Vangelis. It's really a shame and the most negative aspect of the movie when comparing with the original.

The cinematography is as expected nowadays, a lot of CGI. Anyway, the ambiance is correct. In contrast with the original movie, Blade Runner 2049 has a lot of daylight scenes.
The general colour is much more greyish and less blueish. In the Wallace scenes, we have the same golden tones that we have in the Tyrell scenes in the original movie.

The acting is not brilliant, but it's OK, special mention to Ryan Gosling which has a good performance. Anyway, we miss you, Rutger Hauer.

In short, if you are a Blade Runner or a Cyberpunk fan, Blade Runner 2049 it's a worth seeing movie, but it won't be a classic as Blader Runner is.

Before seeing Blader Runner 2049, don't miss the 3 prequels, they are important for the movie's story:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMP1YpQSGhQ

< Message edited by VPaulus -- 10/6/2017 12:56:23 AM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2634
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/6/2017 9:16:43 AM   
RFalvo69

I'm about to watch "The Civil War 25th Anniversary Edition" by Ken Burns. I plan to watch it and then start a game of AGEOD's Civil War II: at least I'll know what I'm doing

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 2635
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/8/2017 4:44:51 AM   
warspite1

The recent reintroduction of the Hastings thread has got me looking at BBC's The Normans, a three-part documentary by Professor Robert Bartlett.

Thoroughly recommended.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 2636
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/11/2017 6:52:06 AM   
warspite1

I was really excited to see a poster yesterday at my train station for a film called:

The Death of Stalin

However, at the bottom of the poster was the tag line - A comedy of terrors... I assumed from that that this wasn't a serious film and sure enough it is a satire.

When I got home I checked out a trailer for it - and it looks pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukJ5dMYx2no

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2637
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/11/2017 11:00:40 AM   
wings7

quote:

I was really excited to see a poster yesterday at my train station for a film called:

The Death of Stalin

However, at the bottom of the poster was the tag line - A comedy of terrors... I assumed from that that this wasn't a serious film and sure enough it is a satire.

When I got home I checked out a trailer for it - and it looks pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukJ5dMYx2no

Can anyone recommend a good film documentary on Stalin?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2638
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/11/2017 11:58:02 AM   
rico21

The wings of Stalin.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 2639
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/11/2017 4:14:43 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Up to the end of episode 4 of the Ken Burns documentary. As someone who knew nothing about the war, this is proving excellent to watch and learn from.

One comment that annoyed me though was the anti-war bloke who rather self-righteously proclaimed that when the middle classes got involved it was a protest about self-interest and not about the injustice of the war. Presumably he asked everyone about their motivations?

The series was good, but Shelby Foote's contributions made it superlative.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2640
Page:   <<   < prev  86 87 [88] 89 90   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  86 87 [88] 89 90   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI