Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Other Matrix War Games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Other Matrix War Games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Other Matrix War Games - 10/23/2017 3:03:50 AM   
BKL

....just wondering if anyone has played Advanced Tactics Gold or The Operational Art of War 3 and have any opinion, relative to Command? I've had Command for years and enjoy it; just wondering about other games and other people's experiences with wargames in general.
Post #: 1
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/23/2017 3:39:36 PM   
OllyFox80

Loving command I recently went looking for other deep wargames and my recommendation would be garry gibleys war in the east / west. Also keep an eye out for the new upcoming operational art of war game

(in reply to BKL)
Post #: 2
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/23/2017 5:02:09 PM   
ultradave

quote:

ORIGINAL: OllyFox80

Loving command I recently went looking for other deep wargames and my recommendation would be garry gibleys war in the east / west. Also keep an eye out for the new upcoming operational art of war game

Yup. They are deep with big learning curves, amazing amount of detail behind the scenes. I haven't played WitE since DOS days (so I'm out of touch with the newer versions), but have WitW and the Tunisia expansion. Have played a few campaigns both against the AI and PBEM (which is really a great challenge). Against the AI you'll want to play as Allies in a campaign since Germany is always on defense. Some shorter scenarios (Bulge, Kasserine, etc) are good with either side. Saying that, I have played as Germany against an Allied invasion starting at D-Day and won by greatly holding up the Allies compared to real life. And that was a fun challenge.

These are operational/strategic games so a completely different thing.

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to OllyFox80)
Post #: 3
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/23/2017 10:01:39 PM   
kevinkins

I was part of the early Advanced Tactics community. If a player today likes the depth of operations Command brings with no wiz bang graphics, then Advanced Tactics is a perfectly good option for war game enjoyment. Both are really serious. I play Command now more because of the way it can sim today's geopolitical environment and technology. Perhaps think of Advanced Tactics as Command for ground warfare. Not the perfect analogy - but close enough to make a purchasing decision on.

Kevin

< Message edited by kevinkin -- 10/23/2017 11:05:40 PM >

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 4
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/23/2017 10:51:07 PM   
ultradave

Also, if you like Northern Inferno and Northern Fury scenarios, "Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm" simulates ground campaigns in a WW3 in Europe doing the late Cold War. I like it a lot, but I may be biased in that it was what I trained for while in the Army, when not on other minor side adventures.

You will find yourself wondering where all those Hinds are coming from in the same way that in Command, you find yourself wondering how many Bears with supersonic ASM's the Russians can possibly have.

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 5
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/23/2017 10:52:02 PM   
thewood1

The OP already has Command. He's looking for suggestions on other Matrix games.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 6
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/23/2017 11:18:21 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

I'm very interested in the upcoming Armored Brigade game, which is an improved and expanded version of the original freeware version.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 7
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/24/2017 12:29:45 AM   
ultradave

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

The OP already has Command. He's looking for suggestions on other Matrix games.

Yes I know. Flashpoint is another Matrix game, correct?

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 8
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/24/2017 12:50:38 AM   
OldSarge

Flashpoint is an excellent cold war 'what if' game. Highly recommend if you're into hypothetical cold war games.

WITE just recently received a new update, it is a monster game if you play the full campaign! Fortunately, there are a number of smaller scenarios with the game, as well as DLCs that make the game approachable. I also have WITW which is another of the large games the Grigsby is noted for.

Pike & Shot is a game set back in the era of, well, pike & shot. P & S Campaigns is very easy to pick up and play and I have spent many hours with it. The battles are relatively small and many can be played in an evening.

There are a bunch of others, but without knowing what you're looking for, or what interests you I'll hold off.

You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 9
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/24/2017 12:51:53 AM   
thewood1

My comment was for Kevinkin. He didn't read the original post. Then he edited his response. Then on top of that, you ninja-posted me.

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 10
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/24/2017 1:29:28 AM   
kevinkins

I read the original post and made a simple mistake and corrected it. Please go away, like last year. You Dick.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 11
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/24/2017 1:42:04 AM   
thewood1

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinkin

I read the original post and made a simple mistake and corrected it. Please go away, like last year. You Dick.

What...I just pointed out my response was to your mistake. Are really that sensitive that when someone points out a mistake you get all hurt and personal?

I'll quote it this time so you don't go back and change it without some documentation...

Just so anyone reading this knows what is going on, Kevinkin went on about how great a game Command is and was really selling it hard. I just pointed out that is not what the OP was asking.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 12
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/24/2017 1:55:35 AM   
kevinkins

You are a Dick ... and we ALL know it here ... and frankly ... you know it too. Please go away. Please. You are ruining this forum.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 13
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/24/2017 2:17:52 AM   
thewood1

There are personal attacks and then there are personal attacks for no reason. I'll give you the day to think about what exactly I did to somehow really set you off. This is the second or third thread I have seen you wreck for what appears to be no reason.

I am traveling most of the day tomorrow and since you seem to like going back and editing your posts to hide simple mistakes, you can go back and remove the personal attacks. Otherwise, let's you and I go to the principle's office and see what they think. If you could either remove the personal attack or explain in great detail exactly what I did, that would be much appreciated.

You have a habit of jumping into threads, making nonsensical comments, stating the blindingly obvious, accusing people of stealing ideas, scenarios, whatever...I have seen you completely derail threads because you don't read posts all through...just like this one. You seem incredibly sensitive to what people post. When you get mad, for unfathomable reasons, your response is, "you're a Dick". Note I capitalized it like you did. Again, I'll ask, are you mad I pointed out your mistake? Should I not have said anything. I mean...you completely missed the point of the OP. He was VERY explicit in what he was looking for. You went on for a couple paragraphs not contributing anything. I just pointed out you missed the point of the OP. Is it really that bad?

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 14
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/24/2017 2:24:37 AM   
thewood1

btw, I am willing to discuss this over PM. I really don't want you to embarrass yourself any further. Feel free to PM me and not take this thread any further down the drain.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 15
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/24/2017 3:24:10 AM   
kevinkins

Your war gaming reputation across the internet over the years is so horrible, I just figured I'd call you out now. It has to stop dude. This is not about a single thread like this one. It's about a constant nastiest over a decade or more. We are trying to have fun. The wood1 could care less and makes us all miserable in the process.

Kevin

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 16
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/24/2017 11:58:41 AM   
Kaldadarnes

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinkin

I was part of the early Advanced Tactics community. If a player today likes the depth of operations Command brings with no wiz bang graphics, then Advanced Tactics is a perfectly good option for war game enjoyment. Both are really serious. I play Command now more because of the way it can sim today's geopolitical environment and technology. Perhaps think of Advanced Tactics as Command for ground warfare. Not the perfect analogy - but close enough to make a purchasing decision on.

Kevin

Yeah: +1 to this. I played a lot of advanced tactics - was probably my number one game up until i picked up command. It's a good sand boxy game hex and counter game, AI's not great but gives a fun challenge.

< Message edited by Kaldadarnes -- 10/24/2017 11:59:25 AM >

Omnia Videmus

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 17
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/24/2017 5:52:33 PM   
BKL

I know this isn’t a Matrix game, but wondering if anyone has played Command Ops 2 and any thoughts? Seems like a CMANO like game for land.

(in reply to Kaldadarnes)
Post #: 18
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/24/2017 6:30:41 PM   
thewood1

So I guess the personal attack will remain...OK.

btw, I'm not the one who went all off on this I very simply and succinctly pointed out that you answered the wrong question because you didn't read the post. You have somehow taken that as a personal insult. I would recommend growing a slightly thicker skin or stop reading the internet.

(in reply to BKL)
Post #: 19
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/24/2017 7:55:53 PM   
Raptorx7_slith

Jesus christ give it up.

Can we get a moderator to do something about the constant bickering with certain users?

< Message edited by raptorx7 -- 10/24/2017 7:56:19 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 20
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/24/2017 8:26:39 PM   
ultradave

quote:

ORIGINAL: BKL

I know this isn’t a Matrix game, but wondering if anyone has played Command Ops 2 and any thoughts? Seems like a CMANO like game for land.

Yes. I have Command Ops 2 - the big battle set package, whatever it's called. Been a fan of this with Command Ops and now with 2 the user interface is improved and there are a ton of scenarios. The AI is quite capable and on your own side allows you to micromanage or back off and be the TF or regimental commander and give high level orders. Most of what you do will fall somewhere in between.

You can set up attacks with direct support artillery, movement to a LD, to an Obj. Rally Point (going from my days at a much lower level of tactics). Non-persistant spotting with the enemy icon changing as time elapses with no further spotting.

Lots of detail behind the scenes. Maps are on the basic side but they do show what's important. I'm used to them and kind of like them. And being pretty badly colorblind a basic map is probably better for me to avoid losing things in the woods :-)

I really enjoy it. You can download the game engine for free which comes with a few scenarios so you can try it out. Game engine is always free they way he does it now, and the battle sets cost the $. They have a forum on LnL Publishing and there is a really nice St. Vith Tutorial. There's one in the manual, but the one that someone posted complete with screen shot maps is really really good. It would give you a good idea if you like the type of game.

Hope that helps.

(PS - I have let it run completely on AI control so see what it did, after failing at Joe's Bridge several times. The AI did better than me. All I did was give the Irish Gds the objective of the enemy side of the bridge and "voila", units deployed in several directions, prepped the objective, and assaulted it successfully. I was pretty impressed. I don't know if it would work just as well in a really big scenario and haven't tried.)

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to BKL)
Post #: 21
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/24/2017 11:51:41 PM   
kevinkins

quote:

Can we get a moderator to do something about the constant bickering with certain users?

I agree. But they will not.

I would enjoy reading posts defending thewood’s online behavior. By any definition in American culture, he is a complete and utter Dick. I remember a fraternity guy who made great eggs and bacon on Sunday mornings for the gang. But, the guy was so weird he scared away all the pretty coeds on Saturday nights. This metaphor fits the wood to a tee. BTW, the weird guy was black balled the next semester. That's OK. He a became really good accountant for many of us 1% guys. He just got in the way of a lot of people's fun at the time.

Kevin

(in reply to Raptorx7_slith)
Post #: 22
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/25/2017 1:14:25 AM   
thewood1

OK, again. I am asking something incredibly simple. What, in this thread, did I do that got someone completely off their rocker fired up. I have asked three times and gotten no answer. Post a quote, a paraphrase, a whispered innuendo, etc. I am at a complete loss at what the issue is.

Feel free to rant on about general boorish behavior if that makes you feel better, but have the courage and decency to at least tell me what I have been tried and convicted of doing. If you can't do that, I have to believe you are just trying to get something going, which is the definition of trolling.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 23
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/25/2017 1:55:23 AM   
kevinkins

It's not about this thread you numskull. It's about your unnecessary confrontational tone every time you chime in here. You are a bully that needs to be confronted. You are not a war gamer. You are the ultimate troll hiding behind our hobby to get your online rocks off for some reason that no one here can understand.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 24
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/25/2017 4:02:19 AM   
thewood1

So its not about this thread? So what brought on this grand mal? I have been posting in and about the forum for quite a bit and suddenly you decide to go all ballistic? That sounds, again, very troll-like to me.

I mean maybe I changed my ways. And just as I change my ways, you suddenly decide to launch multiple personal attacks and act like a troll yourself. Is that the scenario? Or is it you won't admit that maybe you overreacted to an very innocuous comment about a mistake you made. Because, something triggered this regardless even if its beyond this thread. Was it me posting in the tech support forum trying to help out a couple players? Those are really the only place I have posted in the last couple days. So since you won't fess up what triggered you and made you melt down, do you want me to post a list of my posts and you can choose? If it helps get to the root of what triggered you, I'll put the effort in.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 25
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/25/2017 4:05:03 AM   
thewood1

btw Command Ops is the best analog for Command in ground combat. It has excellent AI and is about the same operational level as Command. And the devs are committed and very worthy of support. The best part is the engine is free and you can buy DLC, albeit a little pricey, to expand the game.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 26
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/25/2017 8:50:26 AM   
kevinkins

Happy to read that you are trying to "change your ways". Admitting there is a problem was a major step forward. I think we can be a bit more forgiving now knowing you are working on it and realizing change does not happen overnight. With that, we can part ways on this one.
It actually turned out more positive than anyone could have ever imagined.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 27
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/25/2017 11:18:18 AM   
thewood1

If that makes you happy, feel free to go with that.

So I assume an apology for 3-4 direct personal attacks is forthcoming. I also assume you are working on telling me what triggered you off in this thread.

I mean, two of the defining attributes of a troll are unwarranted personal attacks and ignoring questions about the main issue to deflect discussion. So I can only assume again that you don't want to be accused of troll-like behavior and I am awaiting your response.

As part of my therapy, I will continue on with no changes until I understand what I did. The only way I can change is if I know what set you off. So why don't you help me on my path to all that is good and right by simply telling what I exactly did in this thread to triggered you?

I suspect you won't because at this point, its kind of embarrassing for you to admit this is all over nothing. Its been how many posts now that you haven't answered that simple question? Again, if its too embarrassing, feel free to take this to PM. I am more than happy to discuss it there.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 28
RE: Other Matrix War Games - 10/25/2017 2:19:38 PM   
Tamas

kevinkin & thewood1 Your behaviour is juvenile and embarrassing, and degrades the whole community. I do not care who started it and who is justified or not. You need to stop replying to each other, now.

I am closing this thread with apologies to the original poster and those who have replied to the actual topic at hand.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Other Matrix War Games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI