Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Evacuation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Evacuation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Evacuation - 11/1/2017 8:10:56 PM   
Icier

Does anyone know if French units evacuated to England during the "battle for France", stay on the board, when France surrenders
& continue the fight?

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Post #: 1
RE: Evacuation - 11/1/2017 11:45:17 PM   
Harrybanana

I haven't tried it, but I very strongly suspect that they do not. If they did than it would, in my opinion, be an exploit.

I don't know the exact figures, but my understanding is that the vast majority of the French troops evacuated at Dunkirk returned to France either before or after it surrendered.

< Message edited by Harrybanana -- 11/1/2017 11:48:10 PM >

(in reply to Icier)
Post #: 2
RE: Evacuation - 11/2/2017 12:37:47 AM   
Sugar

In fact, there is a very small probability to save some of the units. I once got accidentally the french special forces after returning from Finnland, while placed in Scotland.

(in reply to Harrybanana)
Post #: 3
RE: Evacuation - 11/2/2017 12:45:43 AM   
Icier

you are right, it would be an exploit, but then the Free French were supposed to have over 100000 in England, who in turn, fought in Italy in 43, so the allied player could argue
that any French units that are in England are eligible to continue to fight on.

Post #: 4
RE: Evacuation - 11/2/2017 12:49:53 AM   
GeneralJackDRipper

To my knowledge, all French forces disappear when the French surrender.

“I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.”

(in reply to Icier)
Post #: 5
RE: Evacuation - 11/2/2017 3:39:23 PM   
BillRunacre

There's a 20% chance of French land units becoming Free French if they are in the UK or other safe territory when France surrenders and Vichy is formed. Naval units have zero chance because these can be deployed depending on Decisions taken and events.

If Vichy is not formed, when France later surrenders, there is a 40% chance of any land units in friendly territory becoming Free French, and a 20% chance for any naval units.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to GeneralJackDRipper)
Post #: 6
RE: Evacuation - 11/2/2017 4:35:28 PM   
OxfordGuy3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Runacre

There's a 20% chance of French land units becoming Free French if they are in the UK or other safe territory when France surrenders and Vichy is formed. Naval units have zero chance because these can be deployed depending on Decisions taken and events.

If Vichy is not formed, when France later surrenders, there is a 40% chance of any land units in friendly territory becoming Free French, and a 20% chance for any naval units.

I didn't know that - could be a reason to base the French air units in the UK, if France is near collapse, if there is a chance they will become Free French? Or do air units not qualify, in this case?

BTW where else counts as "safe territory", other than the UK?

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 7
RE: Evacuation - 11/2/2017 5:23:15 PM   
GeneralJackDRipper

quote:

ORIGINAL: OxfordGuy3

quote:

I didn't know that - could be a reason to base the French air units in the UK, if France is near collapse, if there is a chance they will become Free French? Or do air units not qualify, in this case?

Interesting question re: air units. I am interested in the answer...

“I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.”

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 8
RE: Evacuation - 11/3/2017 4:12:17 PM   
OxfordGuy3

quote:

ORIGINAL: OxfordGuy3

quote:

So Bill - any feedback on this? Is there a chance French air units in the UK (or other "safe territory", whatever the qualifier for that is...) will becomes Free French when France surrenders and Vichy is formed?

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 9
RE: Evacuation - 11/3/2017 7:13:09 PM   
Harrybanana

quote:

Is this in the Manual somewhere? If not it should be. Do Free French units use France's tech levels?

Post #: 10
RE: Evacuation - 11/3/2017 7:55:31 PM   
Icier

quote:

Thanks Bill for the reply, seems like I have opened a can of worms...so a further question, "that 20% chance, is it per unit
or group?".
It may be worthwhile to consider in the next patch some sort penalty for moving French units to England... cause I know its
gamey but if I was playing Allies, I would be moving French units to England.

Post #: 11
RE: Evacuation - 11/4/2017 2:44:56 AM   
Harrybanana

I don't think I would be moving French units to England and certainly not very many. If you moved 5 armies to England you would, on average, only get one of them. Meantime France falls several turns earlier with far less German casualties. Not sure how much good that 1 French army will do you in the long run anyway if it uses French tech.

(in reply to Icier)
Post #: 12
RE: Evacuation - 11/4/2017 3:52:59 PM   
Taxman66

I could see running the attempt for the French SF and/or Eng unit. Maybe the Heavy Armor, if the circumstances allowed it.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

Post #: 13
RE: Evacuation - 11/5/2017 3:08:25 PM   
BillRunacre

Air units are classed as Land units in the calculation, so they might be more worthwhile moving to the UK on the off chance that they might become Free French. But carrying out air attacks on the Germans from UK soil to stem the German advance into France will be less successful without HQ support, so I'd generally recommend not sending anything to the UK until France is a turn or two away from surrendering.

Though from a recent gaming experience, I've seen that doing so could hasten France's surrender by a turn or two, so it's all a gamble!

Friendly territory is any Allied territory that will remain so once France falls.

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 14
RE: Evacuation - 11/7/2017 12:24:27 PM   
OxfordGuy3

Thanks for clarifying Bill!

Post #: 15
RE: Evacuation - 11/7/2017 6:05:47 PM   
KorutZelva

Is it a flat % accross the board for the other minor countries unit or its a per country basis?

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 16
RE: Evacuation - 11/7/2017 8:27:28 PM   
OxfordGuy3

quote:

ORIGINAL: KorutZelva

Is it a flat % accross the board for the other minor countries unit or its a per country basis?

I thought it was just for the French?

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 17
RE: Evacuation - 11/7/2017 10:45:05 PM   
KorutZelva

That greek ship seems to like to stick around. I've seen Yugo unit survive surrender in their own country.

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 18
RE: Evacuation - 11/8/2017 1:53:29 PM   
BillRunacre

There are different % chances for the small number of countries whose units have a chance of fighting on from exile, based on the historical likelihood of them doing so.

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 19
RE: Evacuation - 11/8/2017 2:24:17 PM   
OxfordGuy3

quote:

There are different % chances for the small number of countries whose units have a chance of fighting on from exile, based on the historical likelihood of them doing so.

Can this data be found in the campaign editor?

Post #: 20
RE: Evacuation - 11/9/2017 7:31:11 PM   
BillRunacre

It can be found in the scripts folders, the Free Unit ones.

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 21
RE: Evacuation - 11/9/2017 7:47:05 PM   
OxfordGuy3

quote:

It can be found in the scripts folders, the Free Unit ones.

Thanks, so apart from the Free French, it's basically:

* Free British - 50% Land / 100% Naval (to USA)
* Free Polish - 0% Land / 100% Naval (to UK)
* Free Greek - 0% Land / 50% Naval (to UK)
* Free Norwegian - 0% Land / 50% Naval (to UK and presumably only if the DE is not used for conquering Norway?)

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Evacuation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI