Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/11/2017 9:18:30 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: altipueri

I thought they were the same thing, blade runner being the movie name?

Anyway, I have just bought Rome and Juliet by William Shakespeare; 50p from the charity shelf at the supermarket.

Bit of a change from Thucydides History of the Peloponnesian War which the bastard didn't even finish writing properly - leaving you mid sentence - "sacrifice to Artemis...."
warspite1

Don't you just hate it when th.....

He reached his writing plan monthly limit and had to wait until the next month when he would have gotten another 10K words.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2461
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/11/2017 10:45:35 PM   
altipueri

Just finished "Maquis" by George Millar.

He was one of the SOE agents in France in 1944. The book was published in 1946 and is one of the few stories of behind the lines stuff written by those who actually did it. I recommend the book.

I think there is a huge difference between books written by "historians" after the event and people who were actually there. People who have been through a war generally talk about it less than those who haven't.

Another personal account book I recommend is "Those Devils In Baggy Pants" by Ross S. Carter, a parachutist in the 505th (I think). Written in about 1948. He went through North Africa, Italy (Anzio), Normandy, Battle of the Bulge. Died of cancer aged 28 as the book was finished. What a pisser to have gone through all that, one of only about three from the original platoon to survive.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2462
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/12/2017 5:24:54 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

quote:

Anyway, I have just bought Rome and Juliet by William Shakespeare; 50p from the charity shelf at the supermarket.

Bit of a change from Thucydides History of the Peloponnesian War which the bastard didn't even finish writing properly - leaving you mid sentence - "sacrifice to Artemis...."
warspite1

He reached his writing plan monthly limit and had to wait until the next month when he would have gotten another 10K words.
warspite1

Yeah, its a problem. He should have shopped around for a better deal. I believe Sky allows you to save unused words for use the following month, rather than simply losing unused words.

Its not just in the literary world that this problem exists; the world of classical music has the same problem. Debate continues to this day why Schubert's wonderful 8th Symphony was left unfinished even though he lived for 6 more years. The simple truth is he ran out of notes and then couldn't afford a new contract.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2463
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/12/2017 10:45:39 AM   
durangokid

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Yeah, its a problem. He should have shopped around for a better deal. I believe Sky allows you to save unused words for use the following month, rather than simply losing unused words.

Its not just in the literary world that this problem exists; the world of classical music has the same problem. Debate continues to this day why Schubert's wonderful 8th Symphony was left unfinished even though he lived for 6 more years. The simple truth is he ran out of notes and then couldn't afford a new contract.

Laugh ou

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2464
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/12/2017 4:23:54 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: durangokid

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Laugh ou

warspite1

My god! this lack of words is more of a problem tha......

(in reply to durangokid)
Post #: 2465
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/12/2017 7:29:24 PM   
warspite1

I finished The Vietnam War (Lawrence). What an excellent introductory book to get one into the history of this war. As is my usual MO, before embarking on a subject I like to read a high level overview to get context, before drilling down - and this was perfect for the purpose.

Having read it, I feel I have a reasonable grasp of the chronology of the war and the key reasons that each - the French, the Americans, assorted Allies and the Vietnamese - fought, the problems they faced, both militarily, economically and diplomatically and what led to ultimate Vietnamese victory.

Strangely, I had never realised that Pol Pot and the Khymer Rouge were a by-product of the Vietnam war (I must have seen The Killing Fields about 30-40 years ago). Good to understand that a bit more.

Having read this (and seen Ken Burns excellent documentary) am I interested in further reading? Probably not - but only because warfare post Hiroshima does not really interest me. But I am really glad I read this book and finally have at least some idea about that conflict.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 10/12/2017 9:32:45 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2466
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/12/2017 9:23:36 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: durangokid

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Laugh ou

warspite1

My god! this lack of words is more of a problem tha......

Did you know you can extend your monthly words? By purchasing a WordBank, you can plug in and type away to your heart's content.
One minor limitation: Wordbank is limited to a certain vocabulary. So you may have to use synonyms or simplify your prose.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2467
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/14/2017 7:03:26 AM   
warspite1

The recent Dunkirk film and reading I did inspired by that, has led me to leave the seas and oceans and learn a bit more about the RAF. So the next book to be read is The Right of the Line - The role of the RAF in World War II (Terraine). Its a weighty tome for a paperback! 687 pages before the Appendix - goodness.....let's hope its worth the read.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2468
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/14/2017 7:36:30 AM   
Orm

Reading a police procedural novel where the sinking of HMS Hampshire provides the backdrop to the story. not as good as I wanted but still interesting due to the historical disaster is the foundation of the story.

Any book you can recommend about the sinking of HMS Hampshire?

Any new facts revealed about the sinking of HMS Hampshire? Since it is now over hundred years since the sinking I am thinking that some secret documents might have been released.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2469
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/14/2017 8:12:11 AM   
warspite1

I don't know much about the sinking to be honest. It's mentioned in most WWI histories for obvious reasons - Lord Kitchener - but I'm not sure what else there is to say.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2470
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2017 7:07:55 PM   
warspite1

quote:

The recent Dunkirk film and reading I did inspired by that, has led me to leave the seas and oceans and learn a bit more about the RAF. So the next book to be read is The Right of the Line - The role of the RAF in World War II (Terraine). Its a weighty tome for a paperback! 687 pages before the Appendix - goodness.....let's hope its worth the read.
warspite1

One chapter in and yes, this looks like a serious book

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2471
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2017 7:19:37 PM   
Chickenboy

CV Formidable? Have you gone mad?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2472
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2017 7:20:33 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

warspite1

Mad old boy, why ever so?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 10/16/2017 7:21:39 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2473
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2017 10:21:48 PM   
Agathosdaimon

i got this work recently - very detailed in the damage specifics -

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2474
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/17/2017 2:28:58 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Don't get me wrong-she's a real beaut-in a bare knuckle brawling sort of way. Kind of like your admiration for the 'all business' look of the South Dakota class USN BBs. But you've changed your avatar away from that other man-crush ship of yours. War...something something? The change in mentation concerns me a bit.

ETA: Not really.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 10/17/2017 2:29:25 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2475
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/17/2017 7:40:48 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

+100!

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 2476
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/17/2017 9:41:47 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

quote:

+100!

Bought it the day it came out. But, now, you can download it free.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2477
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/17/2017 9:44:18 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

+100!
warspite1

Does the author give conclusions or is this a mere presentation of the facts (as known at the time of writing)? For example, what does the author believe to have been the cause of the demise, so violently, of the British battlecruisers?

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2478
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/17/2017 9:47:17 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Don't get me wrong-she's a real beaut-in a bare knuckle brawling sort of way. Kind of like your admiration for the 'all business' look of the South Dakota class USN BBs. But you've changed your avatar away from that other man-crush ship of yours. War...something something? The change in mentation concerns me a bit.

warspite1

As per the sig line, I will be displaying some of the ships and aircraft of the British Pacific Fleet over the coming month or so. No one and nothing can replace that saucy little strumpet, HMS Warspite, in my affections

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2479
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/17/2017 10:16:29 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

+100!
warspite1

Does the author give conclusions or is this a mere presentation of the facts (as known at the time of writing)? For example, what does the author believe to have been the cause of the demise, so violently, of the British battlecruisers?

I can't remember Campbell's specifics except that I agreed with him.
Innes McCarthy reaches some conclusions in Jutland 1916: The Archaeology of a Naval Battlefield.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2480
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/17/2017 10:18:00 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

As per the sig line, I will be displaying some of the ships and aircraft of the British Pacific Fleet over the coming month or so. No one and nothing can replace that saucy little strumpet, HMS Warspite, in my affections

Does the RN have any plans for another ship of that name? Or do they retire the names of memorable ships, like hurricane names?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2481
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/17/2017 11:19:16 PM   
Agathosdaimon

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

+100!
warspite1

I can't remember Campbell's specifics except that I agreed with him.
Innes McCarthy reaches some conclusions in Jutland 1916: The Archaeology of a Naval Battlefield.

having only just got the book i havent gotten to its conclusions, but a quick glance at the summary looks like he is more on the side of it being a stalemate mostly but he specifically only is looking at the fighting in the battle itself so a lot of other factors are deliberately omitted from this account, this being said he does believe that despite the wealth of information there are still some gaps (or at least at the time of this book being written) that make a final assessment difficult.

What though i find extremely impressive about this book though and what attracted me to it, is that it has alot of diagrammatic drawings in it of the ships with all the hit locations on them and in them and the angles of the shells

in all i think the book is more on the side of providing the details of the battles themselves in terms of the ships involved, movements, hits and ammo expediture among other things - but that said, it is presented well with alot of well written text from what i see so far.

I am doing a few little battleship drawings of my own at the moment, in particular SMS Rheinland, and so this book is a great resource for me too

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2482
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/18/2017 3:37:01 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

For example, what does the author believe to have been the cause of the demise, so violently, of the British battlecruisers?

Well, to be blunt, they were hit by enemy shells and / or torpedoes and then caught on fire and / or exploded. Rather violently. Duh...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2483
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/18/2017 5:51:25 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

For example, what does the author believe to have been the cause of the demise, so violently, of the British battlecruisers?

Well, to be blunt, they were hit by enemy shells and / or torpedoes and then caught on fire and / or exploded. Rather violently. Duh...
warspite1

Great insight! Maybe you should write a book. "Why ships go bang and like explode and stuff" (Chickenboy) - Published by Wang Care Publishing

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2484
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/18/2017 5:53:31 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

quote:

+100!

Bought it the day it came out. But, now, you can download it free.
warspite1

Well that's handy. I'll take a look.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 2485
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/18/2017 3:06:41 PM   
Greybriar

I am currently reading The Red Knight by Miles Cameron.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2486
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/27/2017 12:12:15 PM   
Orm

Re-reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

Attachment (1)

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 2487
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/1/2017 10:55:30 PM   
Zorch

Lost Science by Kitty Ferguson.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2488
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/2/2017 1:49:42 AM   
JReb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

This is a real classic. I re-read it earlier this year as part of my bucket list items. One of my all time faves.

Now I'm re-reading Hunt for Red October.

My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2489
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/2/2017 4:00:01 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Never heard of it. Whatsit 'bout?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2490
Page:   <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI