Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Royal Canadian Navy and Air Force Bases (WITH assets added) and earlier NWS facilities

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Useful Material >> RE: Royal Canadian Navy and Air Force Bases (WITH assets added) and earlier NWS facilities Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Royal Canadian Navy and Air Force Bases (WITH asset... - 10/17/2017 11:00:15 PM   
jmax

MARLANT (Maritime Forces Atlantic) imports:

Includes Canadian Coastal Radars at CFS Barrington, CFS Sydney, CFB Gander; SOSUS arrays off Argentia and Shelburne; HFSW Radars at Hartlen Point and Cape Race; and C4ISR facilities at NRS Newport Corner, NRS Mill Cove, CFB Stadacona (Trinity), and the HF/DF array at CFB Gander.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 91
RE: Royal Canadian Navy and Air Force Bases (WITH asset... - 10/21/2017 11:07:39 PM   
jmax

Two import files containing Chinese OTHR sites and PLARF underground facilities. I've heard there's an OTHR array on Hainan as well, but was unable to locate it in Google Earth.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jmax)
Post #: 92
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB: Get them here - 11/2/2017 5:10:05 PM   
Halsey1945

Not sure if this is the right place, but here are OOBs with units for North America, the Asian Pacific, the UK, and Russia. The older files are based on Baloogan Wiki. While the newer ones are based on Wikipedia and Scramble. Since ships don't work with Insts yet, I included Lua files for adding them.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 93
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB: Get them here - 2/23/2018 11:50:57 AM   
Selchu

Hi folks are there any existing files for the Chinese bases on the Spratly Islands?

(in reply to Halsey1945)
Post #: 94
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB: Get them here - 2/23/2018 1:26:18 PM   
thewood1

I would look in some of the DLC and community scenarios and export those.

(in reply to Selchu)
Post #: 95
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB: Get them here - 4/5/2018 2:14:47 AM   
jmax

UPDATE: I made some errors in my previous PRC OTH Radars import file. Shanghudong site has been moved to its actual coordinates, all coastal OTHRs are changed to surface-wave types, including an additional smaller site near Zhushan Mountain represented as a Podsolnukh-E SW Radar which I think is the closest fit for its range and capabilities. Also included are OTH-B radars in Hubei province, and a new one in Inner Mongolia. I could not locate the transmitter for the latter in Google Earth so I just plunked it down where I thought it looked good.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 96
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB: Get them here - 6/6/2018 2:25:00 AM   
B52H

The majority of the Czechoslovak AF (besides a single airport near Presov) and the majority of the East German AF as they were in circa 1990. Facilities at Zatec in Czech Republic are guessed upon as the air base was demolished in the 1990s before any commercial satellite imagery could photograph it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jmax)
Post #: 97
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 8/24/2019 12:29:53 PM   
Gunner98

Has anyone built Ljubljana Jože Pučnik Airport in Slovenia?

Tx

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to cf_dallas)
Post #: 98
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 9/14/2019 8:50:08 PM   
temkc5

1,152 civilians in 48 groups of 24 1x Personal

For use in:

Crisis Response

Disaster Relief

Humanitarian Assistance scenarios

Needs CoW or CMO for Airborne pick up

Single use

(PM me if you have Issue)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by temkc5 -- 9/14/2019 9:14:47 PM >

Non mihi, Non tibi, Sed nobis

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 99
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 11/30/2019 11:02:39 PM   
Rob322

Here is Mather AFB, east of Sacramento. Mather was a SAC and also a training base for most of it's history. Mather was home to the 441st Bombardment Squadron, 320th Bombardment Wing. It was equipped with B-52F's until 1968, when the wing converted to B-52G's. The 904th Aerial Refueling Squadron (KC-135A) was also assigned. According to Wikipedia, the B-52G's were also equipped with Harpoons and mines and had a secondary sea control mission. The B-52's left Mather 9/30/89 as the Cold War was winding down. Squadron strength was placed at 16 bombers.

In 1977, the 940th Aerial Refueling Group was also assigned to Mather. This is an Air Force Reserve Unit (it still flies today out of Beale) and flew KC-135A's, upgrading to the E model in 1986. When Mather closed for good in 1993 this unit relocated to McClellan AFB nearby.

the base was also host to the 3535th Navigator Training Wing from 1946 to 1973. The wing trained navigators on the T-29 (C-131) and then the T-43 (Boeing 737-200). The unit was replaced by the 323rd Flying Training Wing in 1973 which began training Navy and Marine Pilots, Air Force personnel and pilots from NATO nations.

The base closed for good in 1993.

This is my first facility and I'd appreciate feedback. I'm going to be doing a number of facilities, starting with my home state of California. In some cases I'll be making guesses. For instance with Mather, while I could find where the ammo bunkers were, I was guessing at the size and number of them. This is true of the fueling facilities as well. I believe I know where they were for the most part but don't consider myself an expert on picking the correct size.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rob322 -- 12/1/2019 2:21:22 AM >

(in reply to temkc5)
Post #: 100
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 11/30/2019 11:20:52 PM   
Rob322

Here is Castle AFB, another SAC base southeasterly of Mather near Merced. The 93rd Bombardment Wing (Very Heavy) activated here in 1946, flying B-29's in three squadrons. It converted to B-52B's/KC-135's in 1955, eventually ending up with the B-52G model. When SAC was deactivated in 1992, the reflagged 93rd BW initially went to ACC (Air Combat Command) and was inactivated 9/30/95 after nearly 50 years in the same location. There were several tanker squadrons attached to the Wing over time, the longest (924th Aerial Refueling Squadron), was attached from 1959 - 1994.

Andy Johnson's NATO OOB 1989 V8.6 (Google this if you don't have it) identifies the wing strength at 16 B-52G's.

The 84th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, flying the F-106, was also stationed here from 1973 to 1981 when it deactivated.

Fuel and ammo are somewhat assumed. I know the approximate location of both, but not the sizes. Any feedback is appreciated.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 101
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 11/30/2019 11:24:36 PM   
Rob322

As part of my California series, here is the Beale PAVE/PAWS. I believe I set the orientation correctly based on whatever open source maps I could find. The DB has three versions of this antenna, I decided to pick the version in service just at the end of the Cold War. Feel free to upgrade/downgrade to the needs of your scenario.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 102
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 11/30/2019 11:51:10 PM   
Rob322

I decided base by base posts would get tedious so I've grouped a number of facilities/base together.

Hunters Point Naval Shipyard: Major West Coast repair yard from 1940-1994. Capable of handling multiple Carriers and Battleships at once. The ammo facilities are completely notional as they couldn't be located. Selected as the home to the Missouri BBG in 1988 but the end of the Cold War (and the decommissioning of the Mighty Mo) ended that.

Mare Island: Another SF Bay Area naval base from 1854-1996. Constructed BB USS California, CA's Chicago and San Francisco and also numerous WW2 subs as well as some SSN's and early SSBN's. Ammo is guessed at.

NAS Alameda: The other major naval harbor, could accommodate up to four CV's at once. Airfield is small by modern standards and I believe it was generally for the helos and A-6's of a 1980s CVW. The bigger jets went to Lemoore. I chose to split this into two separate files in a manner similar to the San Diego facilities that came with the game. Ammo for the naval base is completely notional.

NAS Moffett Field: Famous for the airship hangars, during the Cold War she was also home to numerous P-3 VP squadrons. The P-3's left in the mid-1990's but today it remains as Moffett Federal Airfield and it wouldn't be at all odd for a number of different aircraft types, including military to be found there. Due to GIS issues, I had to relocate elements of the base so they were above sea level.

McCllelan AFB: The other major Air Force Base in the Sacramento region (NE of downtown), McClellan was home to numerous repair, logistic and training commands from 1938 - 1998. Also had a composite F-111 Test and Evaluation squadron flying several models (including the strategic version) at any one time.

Notes: It's possible to sail ships to dock in all three of these bases but they need some manual assistance. Normally I've found the best way is to bring the ship into the Bay to around Alacatraz and then select "Return to Base". Otherwise, the ship tends to get stuck along the shore. If someone knows a better way, please tell me.

Also, I had no luck identifying ammo structures at Alameda Naval Base (I found the ones for the Naval Air) or Hunter's Point, does anyone know about those? I suppose they could've been in structures or brought from the Concord Naval Weapons station by train. Any navy vets out there with insight on where the ordinance came from for ships at these facilities? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rob322 -- 12/1/2019 12:51:18 AM >

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 103
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 12/1/2019 12:07:50 AM   
Rob322

Two more for now, theses are meant to be used with the CWDB.

851st Strategic Missile Squadron: A Titan I squadron, centered on Beale AFB, with three silos each near Chico, Lincoln and Sutter Buttes. Active just three years, from 1962-1965. Incidentally, the silos are still there, mostly just abandoned, the properties never having redeveloped. Launch control facilities notional.

SF Nike Hercules Air Defenses: A group of 12 batteries around the SF Bay Area to defend against Soviet bombers and early cruise missiles, operational from 1955-1974. Most sites did NOT make it until 1974, many deactivating by the mid-1960's. This link (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nike_missile_sites#California) is very useful at identifying when a particular launcher commissioned/decommissioned.

So, I plan to do more and head south! On the list are:

- Fresno/Yosemite International, home of CA's F-15 air defense squadron
- George AFB
- Vandenberg AFB
- El Centro NAF
- LA Nike Air Defenses
- Norton AFB
- Edwards AFB

Maybe's
- Hamilton AFB, if I can find a place to put it that's semi-historical (much of the base is under sea level as far as CMO is concerned)
- Concord Naval Weapons Station, if I can decide where I might place a harbor
- Army bases, Fort Ord, Hunter-Liggett, Irwin, the Presidio, etc.

So, what am I missing? CA for now only please.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 104
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 4/14/2020 5:40:51 AM   
Rob322

So I've completed what I feel like I can do for now with California, this time focusing on Southern California. In this group I've made:

Edwards AFB: The storied test base where most of the Air Force arsenal has been flight tested prior to induction. When making a scenario it would not be odd to find anything in the USAF inventory being stationed here, including some designs that had been retired from service.

Fresno ANGB: Also known as Fresno-Yosemite International Airport. The 144th FW is stationed here and currently flies F-15C's. I did not include the civilian facilities but just what I could identify as military. Some things like fuel and munitions had to be guessed at.

George AFB: In it's heyday, George was host to two wings of Phantoms and usually had a big contingent of German pilots training as well. In the 1960's it served in much the same way only with F-104 Starfighters. The 35th TFW was flying F-4E's by the end of the Cold War and was as much training as combat. The 37th was an ARM unit with 72 F-4G's and went to the Gulf War before being rebased and equipped with the F-117. George shut down in the 1990s and now serves as a storage base for unused jetliners.

LA AAA: I recreated the LA Nike Hercules sites based on this Wikipedia entry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nike_missile_sites#California) for Nike sites in the LA ares from 1955-1974. It should be noted that many of these sites deactivated early, the early to mid 1960's and so scenario designers may need to modify this group.

Norton AFB: A MAC (Military Airlift Command) base near San Bernardino that had several C-141 squadrons. Old ICBM's were brought here to be dismantled, which isn't reflected here but I thought it was interesting.

Vandenberg: California's most unique facility, an air base with no aircraft but also a space launch facility (It apparently has transferred over to Space Force). Vandenberg is a site for the Ground Based Interceptors for missile defense and numerous active and inactive silos for ICBM testing. From my understanding, in an emergency these would be armed with live ICBM's and decided to add a few to the base in the known locations of active silos. Built with facilities designed to launch the Space Shuttle, it was only the destruction of the Challenger and a two year hiatus that scuppered those plans. The runway is 15,000 feet long (!) and was designed to land the shuttle.

I had also wanted to do NAF El Centro but discovered it's below sea level so that won't work. I'll probably do China Lake but have also decided to do other bases. If anyone has any feedback on the design or choices, please feel free to comment.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 105
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 4/14/2020 6:05:32 AM   
Rob322

So, let's jump to other facilities! I've been busy ...

RAF Upper Heyford: The "missing" USAFE base from the Cold War that came with the game, Upper Heyford closed in 1994 right after the Cold War. She was home to the 20th TFW, the only F-111E unit in the USAF inventory.

Hahn AFB: A USAF fighter base in Western Germany, Hahn was home to the 50th TFW, the first unit to convert to F-16s in the theater. After the base closure the Germans have been using it for civilian use. The photo model I have was therefore modern and I did my best to approximate for what made sense.

Ramstein AFB: THe HQs for many NATO/USAF commands, the target of the Rote Armee Faction and the inspiration for the name of a popular German metal band, Ramstein is and was a busy hive of activity. It would not be odd to find numerous types of planes located here. At one time home to the 86th TFW with F-4s/F-16s in the 1980's, she turned into the 86th Airlift Wing 25 years ago and now flies many cargo missions throughout Europe, Africa and the Middle East.

Soesterberg AB: An "ancient" (1913) air base, operated by the Dutch until 2008. From 1954-1994 was home to the 32nd TFS which flew F-4E's until transitioning to F-15C's in the early 1980s. Was not able to locate the munitions bunkers on this so made a SWAG. Gave them fewer bunkers then most other USAF bases in Europe but it is a much smaller base for squadron, not a wing.

Spangdahlem AFB: An active duty base even today, it was and remains the home of the 52nd FW and flying F-16s today, a type it converted over to in the mid-1980s.

Zweibrücken AFB: Another small base, originally housing a Canadian Air Force unit until transitioning to the USAF in 1969. It was mainly home to the 26th TRW flying the RF-4C's to the end of the Cold War. Munitions are inferred. A recon unit doesn't drop bombs but earlier that had been some fighters so they probably retained the bunkers.

This covers the main USAFE bases on the Central Front. I may ultimately do other bases in NATO and Pact areas eventually.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rob322 -- 4/14/2020 6:06:08 AM >

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 106
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 4/14/2020 6:46:39 AM   
Rob322

Like I said ... I've been busy. Thank shelter-in-place I guess.

Bergstrom AFB: Home to the 67th TRW, the base was closed in 1991 due to BRAC. Today it serves as the International Airport for Austin TX.

Cannon AFB: Located near Clovis, NM, Cannon AFB and home to the 27th Special Operations Wing and formerly the 27th TFW, flying the F-111D.

England AFB: Former base outside of Alexandria, LA. Home of the 23rd TFW, flying A-7's in the 1970's and A-10's in the 1980's. Now is that city's main airport.

Hill AFB: Home of the 388th FW, a long time fighter base, the wing saw F-4's in the 1970's, the F-16 from 1978 to now and being replaced by the F-35A. Some of the most extensive ammo facilities but it's also part of the extensive bombing ranges in the West.

Holloman AFB: A New Mexican base on the eastern side of the White Sands National Monument and home to the 54th Fighter Group focused on F-16 pilot training. Prior to that was the 49th FW flying F-15A's and then the F-117.

Moody AFB: Home to the A-10 23rd FW (formerly of England AFB above) and in the past flying the F-16C with the 347th TFW.

Myrtle Beach AFB: Now a civilian airport, this base closed right after the Cold War. Home to A-7's in the 1970's and converting to an A-10 wing in the 1980's.

Tinker AFB: Home to the USAF's E-3's as well as a major repair and logistics facility. Not surprising to find any type of USAF airframe there at any time.

Mountain Home AFB: Mountain Home was a SAC base converted into a large F-111 base that became a composite wing in the 1990's. At one point the 366th FW had a wing consisting of F_15C's, E's and B-1's. Now an F-15E Wing, she also has a semi-permanent assignment of F-15SG's, the Singaporean version of the F-15.

There's a lot to go of course but this is most of the major TAC bases in the 1980's. I'm using Andy Johnson's NATO Order of Battle 1989 v8.6 as inspiration and a guide to that time. Maybe I should do SAC next ...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rob322 -- 4/14/2020 6:50:49 AM >

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 107
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 4/15/2020 5:07:03 AM   
Mgellis

Rob, these are great. Thank you. Keep going!

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 108
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 4/17/2020 4:35:58 AM   
Rob322

Well sure!

I'm adding the SAC bases from the late 1980's that were in the game. A few posts ago, I already added Mather and Castle AFB in California. Here are the rest.

Eaker AFB: More commonly known as Blytheville AFB, it was renamed Eaker AFB after WW2 General Ira Eaker in the hopes the Air Force wouldn't close the base. The Cold War soon ended though and that gambit failed. It was home to 16 B-52G's of the 97th Bomb Wing.

Fairchild AFB: Home to the 92nd Bomb Wing, it flew B-29's, B-36's, B-52G's and H's until 1994 when the wing converted to tankers. It was clear from the aerial image the the munitions bunkers have been destroyed but I put back in what I could so this could operate as an offensive base. Scenario designers who want the base to be in it's modern configuration should ignore/delete them.

Grand Forks AFB: A large base in North Dakota and home to the 319th Bomb Wing, one of the few with the B-1B. Also home to an ICBM wing (first Minuteman II then III) which was decommissioned in 1998 and very briefly home to the Safeguard system, America's first attempt at missile defense. The airbase is still in operation with a recon wing flying RQ-4 Global Hawks.

K.I. Sawyer AFB: A SAC base in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, home to the 410th Bomb Wing with B-52H's and apparently equipped with ALCM's in the 1980's. Also home to the 87th FIS, with F-106's until 1985. Was apparently going to receive the F-15 but this was changed and the squadron disbanded. The base itself closed in 1995.

McConnell AFB: A large base near Wichita Kansas and home to the B-1B equipped 384th Bomb Wing. Also at one point home to the 161st TFG with squadrons F-4 (later F-16) squadrons. Primarily a tanker base today. Also has a large Boeing facility on the west side of the field (I omitted those facilities from my build).

Minot AFB: An active B-52 field today with two squadrons assigned to the storied 5th Bomb Wing. Also home to the 91st Missile Wing with Minuteman III's. During the Cold War was home to the 5th FIS flying F-106's and then F-15's before disbanding in 1988. Unusual in having two "Christmas Tree" ramps. The eastern one was the original, the southern one added around 1973 to accommodate more bombers (this one appears un-usued today except for material storage).

NAS Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base (Carswell AFB): This base has a long history as a bomber base and during the Cold War it was home to the 7th Bomb Wing with two squadrons of B-52G's (32 aircraft at full strength). In the 1990's the base transferred to the Navy and now is a true joint base and very diverse. It is home to MAG 41 flying F/A-18's, the 301st Fighter Wing of the Air Force Reserve flying F-16's, the 9th Naval Construction Regiment, the HQ for the 14th Marine Regiment (the artillery regiment for the reserve 4th Marine Division), the 607th MP Battalion of the Army Reserves and the 136th Airlift Wing of the TXANG flying C-130's.

Offutt AFB: The smallest base in the pack but probably the most vital, the US Strategic Command is headquartered here as well as various strategic command and control assets. Any nuclear war would be fought from here.

Wurtsmith AFB: A former SAC base in Michigan along the shores of Lake Huron. Home to 16 B-52G's from the 379th Bomb Wing. This facility closed down in 1993. On a semi-personal note, I enjoyed making this one because my wife has told me of her memories going to the PX with her grandpa (a former Air Force Lt Colonel) at this base when they were on vacation in this part of the state.

So I have more to do. I'd like to do more SAC (and TAC, and MAC, and ADC) facilities from the mid Cold War and will get started soon but will need to take a break for a bit. Hopefully there'll be players and scenario designers out there who find these useful and as always if you have feedback please share.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rob322 -- 4/17/2020 4:39:35 AM >

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 109
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 6/2/2020 9:50:08 PM   
Mgellis

Okay, once again, I think I did this right. This is a generic tiny airport, the kind that might show up in an isolated rural area. It has room for a few small aircraft and it has an ammo shelter, because, why not? Just the thing for rebels! Enjoy!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 110
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 6/15/2020 2:40:34 AM   
Rob322

I'm back at it. Here are six Air Bases from West Germany at the end of the Cold War. I plan to do the other major bases and then move on to the former East Germany assuming I can get decent imagery to look at. It's been 30 years and many of the former Warsaw Pact facilities are just scraped over scars. I'm also planning the other NATO countries, both in and outside Germany. I'll likely also swing back to the States at some point. All of these bases closed at various points between 1993-2013 and some are at least partially in civil aviation. Two (Oldenburg and Eggebek) appear mostly intact but the runways and taxiways are covered in solar panels.

Here are the six I've done this time:

Eggebek AB: This was a naval aviation base and by the late 1980's was host to one of two groups with the naval version of the Tornado.

Leck AB: A small base up next to Denmark, it was home of a recon unit flying RF-4E's. I added ammo bunkers as the Germans sometimes armed their recon Phantoms.

Husum AB: This base was NW of Hamburg in Schleswig-Holstein and flew up to 51 Alphajets.

Hopsten AB: This base was further west, just outside Osnabruck and was home to JBG36, flying the F-4F fighter.

Jever AB: An interesting facility just outside of Wilhelmshaven. Home in 1989 to a single squadron of 24 Tornados but plenty of room for reinforcements.

Oldenburg AB: Oldenburg was also an Alphajet base that closed a few years after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Unlike the US, many of the Cold War bases in Germany are gone and have been for nearly 30 years. Time has allowed many to redevelop or simply be demolished and so some of the time I was guessing. One thing that frustrated me is I never saw a fuel tank. Not a single one. I thought I remember reading that NATO facilities were on pipelines so maybe that's how the fuel came to them but I still figure some on-site storage was key. I didn't stress too much since right now they're just targets but I'm open to better data if anyone has it.

Same with munitions. I found some, or at least what seemed like the spot they'd been in but either they kept the ammo much further from their bases than others did or they've been very thorough about deconstructing their ammo shelters.

I was really helped by two websites that I found invaluable for research. I wouldn't have gotten nearly as far as I did without them:

1. https://www.mil-airfields.de/index-en.html
2. https://forgottenairfields.com/index.php

Not only are they great resources for re-creating old facilities but many have great pics of the bases, the aircraft and the environs (in the bases I created, I was impressed how many times I saw A-10's on deployment during exercises).

Finally, I didn't include any air defenses but NATO Order of Battle 8.6 is a great resource. In short, it would be appropriate to have 20 to 40mm flak, MANPADS, security and sometimes a Roland battery near the base during times of crisis or war.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 111
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 7/7/2020 4:33:01 AM   
Rob322

So this is just one file but it was a fun little build. France at one point had a nuclear triad (today they still have subs and air delivered weapons), circa 1968-1998. This models the 1st Strategic Missile Wing with 18 silos and I placed it with the S-3 missile, a 1.2 mt weapon that could reach much of European Soviet Union including Moscow. Prior to 1984, the silos held the S-2 missile. The silos should be in the correct spots; a look at google reveals most of them are either just ruined sites or are covered with solar panels. Sometimes I could tell it was a former silo because Google had blurred out a small square! I understand secrecy but it seems counterproductive since 1) the silos were deactivated and destroyed 20+ years ago and 2) to the untrained eye it's just going to look like a small quarry or garbage patch and the blurring just calls attention to it. Oh well, makes them easier to find! The LCF is placed randomly based on a generalized map I found online.

I should be adding French, German, Belgian and Dutch airbases soon. I plan to go to other European countries after all. Since I'm adding the French IRBM's, I will likely add Pershing I/II's and GLCM's too. Unleash hell!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 112
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 7/9/2020 7:00:01 AM   
Rob322

Here are a couple more for now ...

Ahlhorn AFB: A USAFE base in Nothern West Germany that didn't have permanently assigned squadrons but instead was going to be a Forward Operating Base for US/UK based A-10's. Could easily accommodate 4-5 standard 18 A/C A-10 squadrons.

Bremgarten AB: A West German base near the border with France and Switzerland, home to AG51, a RF-4E recon wing of the Luftwaffe. I discovered a lot of photos of F-15's (33rd TFW) basing here during Reforger. There was room here for 1-2 squadrons on top of the normal tenants.

More to come soon ...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 113
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 7/13/2020 5:03:29 AM   
Rob322

Here are three more bases, one of which is still active.

CFB Lahr: A Canadian forces base open until the early 1990's. It didn't have permanent squadrons stationed here but in a war Canadian and Allied squadrons would be based here. The 4th Mechanized Infantry Brigade of the land component of Canadian forces was headquartered here.

CFB Sollingen: A Canadian base with 3 F/A-18 squadrons totalling 54 aircraft. They departed after the Cold War and the base has become a civilian airport.

Buchel is essentially intact, being an active base. However both Lahr and Sollingen have been under civilian use for nearly 30 years and extensive modifications to the bases and facilities have occurred. I had to guess at some features such as ammo and avgas facilities and even when I had older aerials for the locations of aircraft shelters I was doing my best to free sketch their locations. I'll do the best I can, any errors are my own.

****UPDATE 10/17/20. I realized I made a couple mistakes here in that I gave both Canadian Bases the tarmac space for VL A/C but not the Access Points! So these are the corrected versions that now let you operate VL aircraft out of these bases (at least as far as their runways will allow).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rob322 -- 10/17/2020 5:38:42 PM >

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 114
RE: Royal Canadian Navy and Air Force Bases (WITH asset... - 7/14/2020 7:50:48 PM   
DetlefKroeze

edit. Posted in wrong thread and I can't find how the delete this post. My apologies.

< Message edited by DetlefKroeze -- 7/14/2020 7:52:55 PM >

(in reply to jmax)
Post #: 115
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 7/19/2020 2:04:08 AM   
Rob322

Here are 8 more bases in Germany, a mix of German and American bases.

Wiesbaden AAF: Primarily a helicopter facility, AH-1's, AH-64's, OH-58's. UH-1's and UH-60's. Was also a forward deployment base for A-10's. In history was a base that flew the Berlin Airlift and also flew U-2 patrols over Eastern Europe.

Koln-Bonn International/Air Base: A sprawling facility, now a combined civilian and military base. When the West German capital was in Bonn was also the primary point of departure and arrival for dignitaries and politicians. A British base in the 1950's, today it doesn't host any squadrons (that I could find) but has extensive facilities to accommodate reinforcements.

Neubiberg AB: A small base SE of Munich, home to Air Transport squadrons, first American and then German beginning in the 1960's.

Ingolstadt-Manching AB: Another large German base in the Bavarian countryside. Home to maintenance and training facilities servicing many different airframes.

Sembach AFB: Former home to 17th US Air Force. It is also hosted the 66th Electronic Warfare Squadron with EC-130's and regularly hosted detachments of A-10's.

Leipheim AB: A base located outside Ulm Germany, no permanent units assigned but would see Alphajets that are semi-permanently based in Portugal base out of here in event of war.

Pferdsfeld AB: A German base west of the Rhine, home to a wing of F-4F's.

Memmingen AB: A base in Southern Germany, home to a wing of Tornadoes.

Next up, the RAF in Germany circa 1989.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 116
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 7/19/2020 8:25:42 PM   
Rob322

Here is the RAF in Germany in the late 1980's!

RAF Bruggen: A large base that in the late 1980's had 4 squadrons of Tornadoes. In 1984, location of a British nuclear accident when a gravity bomb fell off the truck designed to transport it.

RAF Wildenrath: Just to the SE of Bruggen, this base was the initial home of the Harrier when it was introduced but soon switched to Phantoms which flew from here until the base closed in 1992. This facility has almost completely been deconstructed so I sort of had to freehand the facilities from older aerials.

Geilenkirchen AB: This base started as an RAF base, in the late 60's the Germans turned it into a Pershing I missile base. Beginning in 1982 aircraft returned in the form of 18 E-3A's assigned to NATO command.

RAF Gutersloh: A fairly forward base, Gutersloh was home to the Harriers in Germany as well as a planned detachment base for A-10's.

RAF Laarbruch: Another large facility, most British aircraft flew there at some time before it closed in 1999.

I'm running out of regular bases in Germany and while I might, for fun, do a couple of highway strip bases, I'm not sure how many I might want to bother with. Right now I'm gearing up to do France, Belgium and the Netherlands. I'm also thinking of returning to the US as there's plenty more to cover there, particularly earlier in the Cold War. Any requests? Regions, countries, time periods, types of facilities?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rob322 -- 7/19/2020 8:32:30 PM >

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 117
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 7/22/2020 6:01:44 AM   
Rob322

I haven't forgotten Europe but there's more I want to do in the US. Here's a couple quickies.

Selfridge ANGB: Located on the shores of Lake St. Clair, this is an old base that has served many roles, from air defense, to training, to both ANG and naval reserve. It's currently home to the 127th Wing with 24 A-10's and the 127th ARG with KC-135T's. Coast Guard Air Station Detroit is also based here flying the MH-65D Dolphin in search and rescue duties. In the recent past it was also home to Naval Air Facility Detroit and home to VP-93, a naval air reserve squadron flying P-3B's. They stood down in 1994.

Kincheloe AFB: This base was built to provide air cover for the Soo Locks. The US and Canada were concerned the Germans might have long range bombers able to reach the locks, which allow shipping to flow from Lake Superior to the rest of the Great Lakes. While the threat was unfounded, the base remained, first as a Cold War interceptor base and then home to a B-52 unit. The base was closed in 1977 as SAC was reducing it's bomber force.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 118
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 7/22/2020 12:49:08 PM   
Gunner98

quote:

CFB Lahr: A Canadian forces base open until the early 1990's. It didn't have permanent squadrons stationed here but in a war Canadian and Allied squadrons would be based here. The 4th Mechanized Infantry Brigade of the land component of Canadian forces was headquartered here.

3 Wing would deploy to Lahr with 416 Sqn from Cold Lake Alberta and 433 Sqn from Bagotville Quebec (36x CF-18 from the mid 80's onward). These were high readiness Sqns and would have deployed to Lahr quickly and be operational within 48-72 hrs. (practiced every REFORGER)

quote:

CFB Sollingen: A Canadian base with 3 F/A-18 squadrons totalling 54 aircraft. They departed after the Cold War and the base has become a civilian airport.

4 Wing was stationed at what I've always known as Baden but was also called Baden/Sollingen with 409, 421, & 439 Sqns

Together the two wings made up 1st Cdn Air Division (1 CAD) with 90x CF-18s. Prior to the Hornets coming on line it would have been a mix of CF-104 Starfighters and CF-116 (CF-5) Freedom Fighters, I think there was a 6th Sqn as well. The CF-101 Voodoos remained with NORAD

http://www.northernfury.us/nato/ca/air/

4 CMBG would have been deployed starting within an hour and complete about six hours after war start. (practiced often!)

http://www.northernfury.us/nato/ca/army/

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 119
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 7/22/2020 2:57:09 PM   
Rob322

Cool, thanks for the info!

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Useful Material >> RE: Royal Canadian Navy and Air Force Bases (WITH assets added) and earlier NWS facilities Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI