Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/10/2017 9:39:34 AM   
obvert

March 26, 1942

A bombardment reveals we're nearly ready to start attacking at Palembang. Gotta have another two infantry units arrive first though. I also want to get the oil down a LOT more, but I am afraid the Das will take a while to gain the base and the IJN won't sit back forever. He may even be aiming to squeeze i more troops here. It would be tough though considering what the Allies now have in place.

I have a CD unit with 7 x 6 inch guns from India I'd like to send into Palembang. Has anyone tried to defend troops in an enemy held base with CD guns before? Do they fire at landings in the same way?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR March 26, 1942
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Palembang (48,91)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 7615 troops, 120 guns, 96 vehicles, Assault Value = 771

Defending force 12956 troops, 174 guns, 82 vehicles, Assault Value = 261

Assaulting units:
13th Australian Brigade
255th Armoured Brigade
10th LH Cav Regiment
25th Australian Brigade
17th Indian Division
Pakanbaroe Cdo

Defending units:
4th Ind Engineer Regiment
23rd Ind Engineer Regiment
4th/C Division
Yokosuka 4th SNLF
4th/A Div /2
4th/B Div /1
11th Garrison Unit /2
15th Ind Engineer Regiment
Sasebo 8th SNLF /1
302nd Ship Eng Coy
7th Field Construction Battalion
9th JAAF AF Coy
202nd Ship Eng Coy
43rd Const Co
47th Const Co
15th Const Co
34th Field Const Co
26th Fld AA Gun Co
31st Field AA Battalion
3rd Air Division
102nd Ship Eng Coy
2nd Ship Engineer Regiment
34th Field AA Battalion
33rd Field Const Co
33rd JAAF AF Coy

Ground combat at Djambi (48,88)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 3657 troops, 78 guns, 27 vehicles, Assault Value = 186

Defending force 5663 troops, 55 guns, 15 vehicles, Assault Value = 72

Assaulting units:
754th Tank Battalion
21st Australian Brigade

Defending units:
4th/A Division
4th/B Division
35th Field AA Battalion
36th Field AA Battalion
35th JAAF AF Bn

Attachment (1)

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 841
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/10/2017 9:48:17 AM   
obvert

March 26, 1942

Up North the tanks should cut rail to Sunwu tomorrow. Other armoured units will march into Sunwu over the next few days with the main army trailing.

Near Mishan the big army tries again, this time only against one division. Still couldn't pull off a positive attack, but the 1:1 does wear down the IJA unit, which could help later. We'll see. Supply will again be a problem for a few days.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR March 26, 1942

Ground combat at 114,41 (near Mishan)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 39595 troops, 637 guns, 1720 vehicles, Assault Value = 1497

Defending force 14387 troops, 185 guns, 81 vehicles, Assault Value = 360

Allied adjusted assault: 950

Japanese adjusted defense: 625

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1231 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 125 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Vehicles lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
470 casualties reported
Squads: 33 destroyed, 38 disabled
Non Combat: 13 destroyed, 24 disabled

Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 18 (10 destroyed, 8 disabled)
Vehicles lost 84 (28 destroyed, 56 disabled)

Assaulting units:
44th NKVD Regiment
4th Ussurii Tank Brigade
2nd Ussurii Tank Brigade
66th Rifle Division
8th Cavalry Division
3rd Ussurii Tank Brigade
6th Ussurii Tank Brigade
35th Rifle Division
5th Ussurii Tank Brigade
155th PVO AA Battalion
1133rd Howitzer Regiment
4th/152nd PVO AA Battalion
215th Cannon Brigade
362nd/367th OM Gun Battalion
1121st Cannon Regiment
1139th Cannon Regiment
177th Howitzer Regiment
87th VVS Base Force

Defending units:
24th/B Division
24th/A Division
24th/C Division
4th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
53rd Field AA Battalion

Attachment (1)

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 842
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/10/2017 10:00:02 AM   
obvert

March 26, 1942

On the day it looks like 5 IJN DDs and one CL were sunk. Another CL was significantly damaged while two other DDs were set on fire. Neither Kinugasa or CL Yura took damage, and 4 other DDs were unscathed. It looks like a few more CL and DDs were left around Singkawang and Pontiniak, so in spite of my desire to throw a knockout blow here, I'll hold the Allies back now and concentrate on resupply of Singers and more bombardment prep on Palembang.

CA Portland has 25 system damage and needs a few days to get that fixed up, and CA Cornwall is in for one more day for the same. A few more DDs are repairing dings, plus the newly damaged ones heading in tomorrow and CL Colombo. All four R class BBs are ready to roll though and will bombard Singkep. In a few days I should have the 4 BBs, 7 healthy CAs, 11 CLs and about 25 DDs ready to go, plus the two RN CVs and Formidable on it's way to add in. Prince of Wales is still a month away from ready in Cape Town. A few more RN CAs and DDs are on the way though.

I'm sending three fast 17 knot xAKs from Batavia loaded with supply to top up Singers and sending about 7 empties back through the Palembang gap. The RN will also try to bombard Pontiniak with CVs supporting the retirement from the mission and able to hit in case the IJN again moves forward.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 843
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/10/2017 10:30:43 AM   
ny59giants

Jeff has got be holding out hope that new airframes are going to help slow down the bleeding. Losing 4 more DDs will not help him feel better. Since your in London, tell Winny "good job!"

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 844
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/10/2017 12:55:03 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

March 26, 1942

A bombardment reveals we're nearly ready to start attacking at Palembang. Gotta have another two infantry units arrive first though. I also want to get the oil down a LOT more, but I am afraid the Das will take a while to gain the base and the IJN won't sit back forever. He may even be aiming to squeeze i more troops here. It would be tough though considering what the Allies now have in place.

I have a CD unit with 7 x 6 inch guns from India I'd like to send into Palembang. Has anyone tried to defend troops in an enemy held base with CD guns before? Do they fire at landings in the same way?

I would bet he is trying to fly in reinforcements at Palembang. He may be reluctant to bring in enough to attack because the oil would be quickly and heavily damaged with that much fighting going on.

I have had enemy CD/DP guns fire at my bombardment TFs attacking them in a non-base hex, but can't say I have seen one fire from a hex owned by the other side. My guess is it would be a very iffy die roll to get them to fire and not much chance of a hit on the bombarding ships. I doubt they would be able to fire at all at enemy ships on any other mission.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 845
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/10/2017 1:11:19 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Jeff has got be holding out hope that new airframes are going to help slow down the bleeding. Losing 4 more DDs will not help him feel better. Since your in London, tell Winny "good job!"

Who's Winny?

I'm guessing something new will appear in April. he's been very quiet in the air offensively for a while. Although I get it I still realise how much the Japanese have around right now and he could throw it all my way any day. I'm trying not to let my guard down anywhere or get either lazy or overconfident.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 846
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/10/2017 1:14:27 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

March 26, 1942

I would bet he is trying to fly in reinforcements at Palembang. He may be reluctant to bring in enough to attack because the oil would be quickly and heavily damaged with that much fighting going on.

I have had enemy CD/DP guns fire at my bombardment TFs attacking them in a non-base hex, but can't say I have seen one fire from a hex owned by the other side. My guess is it would be a very iffy die roll to get them to fire and not much chance of a hit on the bombarding ships. I doubt they would be able to fire at all at enemy ships on any other mission.

I'm more concerned with ships landing troops at Palembang. I'd like to have some CD guns fire at those ships.

I've got LR CAP on the base now, and I haven't noticed transports shot down yet. I know he did fly some in though. The fields are shot at Palembang so it would essentially be only Mavis now.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 847
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/10/2017 3:23:46 PM   
obvert

March 27, 1942

Another busy turn, but a bit different than the last few. I just have the combat report and replay back, so I'm curious to see the open turn file.

Things began as usual with subs, mostly around Singkawang. Lowpe finally got serious here and dropped some mines. Two subs ran into the field immediately. Still don't know if they're lost. I'm due for a few though since only one sub has been lost all game so far for the Allies. A bit lucky there. Helps to fight near the repair yards though too.

The 4E strikes did almost nothing at the Borneo ports. A few port hits. Damn.

The CL bombardment did a little bit better. Pontiniak got a plastering, with over 20 airframes destroyed and the fields likely closed at this level 1. The ground units aren't doing well there either. So maybe the 4Es will find easier going there the next turn.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR March 27, 1942

ASW attack near Singkawang at 56,88

Japanese Ships
DD Hatsuharu

Allied Ships
SS S-40, hits 3

SS S-40 launches 4 torpedoes at DD Hatsuharu
S-40 bottoming out ....

TF 313 encounters mine field at Singkawang (56,88)

Allied Ships
SS S-18, Mine hits 1, heavy damage

TF 347 encounters mine field at Singkawang (56,88)

Allied Ships
SS KVII, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Sub attack near Singkawang at 56,88

Japanese Ships
CA Kinugasa
DD Hatsuharu
DD Yugumo
DD Oite

Allied Ships
SS Stingray

SS Stingray launches 4 torpedoes at CA Kinugasa
Stingray bottoming out ....

Night Air attack on Singkawang , at 56,88

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 13 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 4

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 1 damaged

Port supply hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 8000 feet
Port Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Night Air attack on Pontianak , at 56,90

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 38 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Allied aircraft
LB-30 Liberator x 3

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x LB-30 Liberator bombing from 6000 feet
Port Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Night Naval bombardment of Pontianak at 56,90

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-27b Nate: 50 damaged
Ki-27b Nate: 7 destroyed on ground
E13A1 Jake: 6 damaged
E13A1 Jake: 2 destroyed on ground
A6M2 Zero: 32 damaged
A6M2 Zero: 7 destroyed on ground
H6K4 Mavis: 16 damaged
H6K4 Mavis: 4 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
CL Capetown
CL Ceres
CL Dauntless
CL Emerald

Japanese ground losses:
112 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 18 disabled
Guns lost 10 (2 destroyed, 8 disabled)

Airbase hits 20
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 51

CL Capetown firing at Pontianak
Walrus II acting as spotter for CL Emerald

Night Naval bombardment of Singkep at 49,87

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
E13A1 Jake: 5 damaged
E13A1 Jake: 2 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
BB Resolution
BB Ramillies
BB Royal Sovereign
BB Revenge

Japanese ground losses:
259 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 15 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 5 (4 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Airbase hits 3
Runway hits 2
Port hits 1

Walrus II acting as spotter for BB Resolution
BB Resolution firing at Singkep

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 848
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/10/2017 3:43:42 PM   
obvert

March 27, 1942

In the daytime the Palembang strikes found decent weather and got another massive barrage onto the oil there.Another 37 hits were registered from all missions today!!!

(Actually, two o those were at Djambi).

I'm hoping this knocked another 60-80 points off of the oil. If I can get this below 400 will he even want to go for it anymore?

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR March 27, 1942

Morning Air attack on Palembang , at 48,91

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Allied aircraft
CW-21B Demon x 1
DB-7B x 7
B-26 Marauder x 10

Allied aircraft losses
DB-7B: 1 damaged

Oil hits 11
Fires 220

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x DB-7B bombing from 10000 feet *
City Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Allied aircraft
139WH-3 x 3
B-25C Mitchell x 13
F4F-4 Wildcat x 9

Allied aircraft losses
B-25C Mitchell: 1 damaged

Oil hits 7
Fires 220

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x 139WH-3 bombing from 10000 feet *
City Attack: 2 x 300 kg GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 12 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-26 Marauder x 13
F4F-4 Wildcat x 9

Allied aircraft losses
B-26 Marauder: 4 damaged

Oil hits 5
Fires 220

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B-26 Marauder bombing from 10000 feet
City Attack: 6 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on Djambi , at 48,88

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid detected at 28 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 18 minutes

Allied aircraft
Vincent I x 6
B-26 Marauder x 17
P-40E Warhawk x 6

Allied aircraft losses
Vincent I: 1 destroyed by flak

Oil hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x Vincent I bombing from 8000 feet
City Attack: 1 x 1000 lb GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Allied aircraft
Hudson I x 1
A-24 Banshee x 3

Allied aircraft losses
A-24 Banshee: 1 damaged

Oil hits 2
Fires 220

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x Hudson I bombing from 8000 feet *
City Attack: 2 x 250 lb GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
A-24 Banshee x 20
P-40E Warhawk x 12
F4F-4 Wildcat x 9

No Allied losses

Oil hits 4
Fires 233

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x A-24 Banshee bombing from 8000 feet

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-26 Marauder x 3

Allied aircraft losses
B-26 Marauder: 1 damaged

Oil hits 6
Fires 220

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x B-26 Marauder bombing from 10000 feet

< Message edited by obvert -- 11/10/2017 11:23:03 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 849
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/10/2017 3:45:42 PM   
ny59giants

Winny = Winston Churchill

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 850
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/10/2017 4:14:19 PM   
obvert

quote:

Winny = Winston Churchill

Ok, I didn't know that nickname. I searched and came up with Winny the Corgi, of Instagram fame, apparently.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 851
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/13/2017 12:36:43 PM   
obvert

March 27, 1942

Up North the Soviets move closer to getting to Sunwu well ahead of the IJA stack. I'd like to check out what's there, then rush all of the ig stuff in and take the base to isolate Heiho. That'll make it hard for the IJA to support Heiho as well.

The tanks begin to move in to cut off Arshaan. Since they will move onto the rail tomorrow I'll begin moving the troops out of Hailar toward Arshaan. I have another tank brigade and an infantry brigade moving in too. It looks like he has under 10k troops there, one of which will be the fortress, so not too much really.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 852
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/13/2017 9:23:36 PM   
obvert

March 27, 1942

This is the damage to the Japanese airforces from the bombardment at Pontiniak. The FOW on total A6M2 numbers destroyed is really messing with my head, since it's been over 500 previously and is now below 450! Still good, but confusing.

Another good thing about bombardments is that find a lot of pilots are KIA when their planes are hit.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 853
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/13/2017 9:46:25 PM   
BBfanboy

How many scotches did you have when you thought you saw 500?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 854
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/14/2017 8:34:41 AM   
obvert

quote:

How many scotches did you have when you thought you saw 500?

Is that relevant?

On March 3 I found a report saying 384 A6M2.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4356129

On March 11 the reports showed 433 A6M2.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4363790

On March 16 it is 341 A6M2.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4365617

On March 22 it went to 502 A6M2!

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4369617

On March 26 it was up to 534 A6M2!!!

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4372885

Now at March 28th back down to 446 A6M2.

So that's an interesting set. Up, down, up quickly, then a big drop now. I'm thinking the latest is closer to the truth. I'll be interested to watch in the next few days.

< Message edited by obvert -- 11/14/2017 8:36:03 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 855
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/14/2017 8:38:17 AM   
obvert

March 28, 1942

This turn begins with an interesting find. I decided to bombard Mersing to try to find the transport base for the 4th division. It had to be in Malaya, asince the 4th ID came across and was wrecked at Singers. and close enough to be in range to Palembang. Lo and behold, lots of transport and the 4th/C division!

So, now I can hit this with the 4Es, but not just yet. I have to take care of Pontiniak too.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR March 28, 1942

Night Naval bombardment of Singkep at 49,87

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
E13A1 Jake: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
BB Resolution
BB Ramillies
BB Royal Sovereign
BB Revenge

Japanese ground losses:
173 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 8 destroyed, 7 disabled

Resources hits 2
Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 7
Port hits 2
Port supply hits 1

Walrus II acting as spotter for BB Resolution
BB Resolution firing at Singkep
BB Ramillies firing at I/124th Infantry Battalion

Night Naval bombardment of Mersing at 51,82

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-57-I Topsy: 9 damaged
Ki-57-I Topsy: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-56 Thalia: 8 damaged
Ki-56 Thalia: 2 destroyed on ground
L3Y2 Tina: 2 damaged
L3Y2 Tina: 1 destroyed on ground
MC-21 Sally: 3 damaged
MC-21 Sally: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
CA Dorsetshire
CL Caledon
CL Mauritius
CL Achilles

Japanese ground losses:
92 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled

Guns lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 8
Port hits 5
Port fuel hits 5
Port supply hits 1

Walrus II acting as spotter for CA Dorsetshire
CA Dorsetshire firing at Mersing
CL Caledon firing at Mersing
CL Mauritius firing at 4th/C Division

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 11/14/2017 3:01:42 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 856
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/14/2017 8:47:05 AM   
obvert

March 28, 1942

It's a hard day for bombing at Palembang, with thunderstorms in the hex, but the bombers do get in and do some work anyway. The Banshees again show that the 1E can contribute, with 3 hits, and I bet those 1,000 lb bombs do a bit more damage too!

I decided to use the cruisers for a daytime bombardment. It's definitely worth it as the troops and base take massive damage from the 3 USN CAs. A total of 22 oil hits on the day plus 7 on the manpower keeping some fires going. I'll be curious what recon tells us about the damage tomorrow.

I now have to get back to Singers with the cruisers and hope th eIJN doesn't interdict. Something bigger seems to be arriving judging by the number of TFs shown to the North of Borneo. Search is decent now so we should know more during after seeing the turn.

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 8
CW-21B Demon x 1
DB-7B x 8
B-25C Mitchell x 8
A-20A Havoc x 3
B-26 Marauder x 18
P-39D Airacobra x 8

Allied aircraft losses
B-26 Marauder: 1 damaged

Oil hits 5
Fires 31

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x DB-7B bombing from 10000 feet *
City Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 8
139WH-3 x 16
P-39D Airacobra x 8

No Allied losses

Oil hits 2
Fires 31

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x 139WH-3 bombing from 10000 feet *
City Attack: 2 x 300 kg GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 8
Hurricane IIb Trop x 2
B-25C Mitchell x 10
B-26 Marauder x 23
P-39D Airacobra x 4

Allied aircraft losses
B-25C Mitchell: 2 damaged
B-26 Marauder: 4 damaged

Oil hits 7
Fires 31

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x B-26 Marauder bombing from 10000 feet

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 8
Hurricane IIb Trop x 2
A-24 Banshee x 13
P-39D Airacobra x 8
P-40E Warhawk x 10

No Allied losses

Oil hits 1
Fires 31

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x A-24 Banshee bombing from 8000 feet

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 8
A-24 Banshee x 12

No Allied losses

Oil hits 4
Fires 31

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x A-24 Banshee bombing from 8000 feet

Naval bombardment of Palembang at 48,91

Japanese Ships
SSX Ha-6, hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
CA Astoria
CA Louisville
CA Chester

Japanese ground losses:
1063 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 19 destroyed, 63 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 19 disabled
Guns lost 19 (5 destroyed, 14 disabled)
Vehicles lost 7 (2 destroyed, 5 disabled)

Manpower hits 7
Oil hits 2
Fires 515

Airbase hits 11
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 42
Port hits 12
Port fuel hits 8
Port supply hits 2

CA Astoria firing at Palembang

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 857
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/14/2017 8:49:27 AM   
obvert

March 28, 1942

We got lucky in China. I wonder if this means these pilots suck!

No 2E shot down, but a few lost to ops. No hits on the industry though, unfortunately. Sweeps tomorrow!

Morning Air attack on Wuchang , at 84,51

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 28

Allied aircraft
SB-III x 11
Blenheim IV x 10
Hudson IIIa x 3
Hudson I x 16

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
SB-III: 1 damaged
Blenheim IV: 2 damaged
Hudson IIIa: 1 damaged
Hudson I: 1 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x SB-III bombing from 7000 feet *
City Attack: 3 x 100 kg GP Bomb

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 858
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/14/2017 1:38:04 PM   
BBfanboy

Only 6 SB-III dropped their bombs, so I would say they jettisoned as Nates swarmed them... and the pilots sucked!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 859
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/14/2017 1:48:41 PM   
obvert

March 28, 1942

In the Manchurian swamps the IJA finally moves most of the 24th division out of 114, 41, but the /A section is left, and crushed. It also retreats to the North. We will pursue with armor and try to finish it off, bombing in the meantime with everything available in the clear hex. Not sure it can be completely knocked out, but that would be fantastic, making this division unable to reform for a good while. Either way it will be weak for a while at least. Even if it does retreat it'll be caught well away from the main stack I'd think if it retreated i tneis direction in the first place.

Troops farther North get into the hex containing our stuck tank divisions and two tank brigades, inexplicably left to repair and not at al bombed. These guys will prove tough now, being completely rested and ready for action. Once free everything will swing around into Sunwu.

Ground combat at 114,41 (near Mishan)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 38191 troops, 630 guns, 1617 vehicles, Assault Value = 1461

Defending force 4256 troops, 47 guns, 16 vehicles, Assault Value = 96

Allied adjusted assault: 1792

Japanese adjusted defense: 4

Allied assault odds: 448 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), disruption(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
2479 casualties reported
Squads: 65 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 43 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 6 disabled
Guns lost 30 (26 destroyed, 4 disabled)
Vehicles lost 8 (2 destroyed, 6 disabled)
Units retreated 1

Allied ground losses:
222 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 7 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Vehicles lost 8 (1 destroyed, 7 disabled)
Units pursuing 1

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
35th Rifle Division
6th Ussurii Tank Brigade
66th Rifle Division
2nd Ussurii Tank Brigade
4th Ussurii Tank Brigade
44th NKVD Regiment
8th Cavalry Division
3rd Ussurii Tank Brigade
5th Ussurii Tank Brigade
1139th Cannon Regiment
177th Howitzer Regiment
1121st Cannon Regiment
362nd/367th OM Gun Battalion
4th/152nd PVO AA Battalion
215th Cannon Brigade
1133rd Howitzer Regiment
155th PVO AA Battalion
87th VVS Base Force

Defending units:
24th/A Division

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 860
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/14/2017 3:00:29 PM   
obvert

quote:

Only 6 SB-III dropped their bombs, so I would say they jettisoned as Nates swarmed them... and the pilots sucked!

They all dropped. I just always crop that part of the report out.

They all made runs, and most of the hits for damage came after the strikes. Not as many Nates caught them before the runs.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 861
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/14/2017 3:09:56 PM   
obvert

DEI

Aha!!! There they are! Right at Soebi-besar.

So it looks like something serious might begin now. CVs moving in!! Still not a big KB though by the looks of it, but I'll treat it as dangerous and set all ships to return under CAP and all strikes to limit to only a few hexes. I've got some big transports unloading at Oosthaven, but he'd lose a lot trying to strike there with 4 AA units and about 100 fighters on CAP plus bleed from nearby bases. So I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Supply and much needed fuel arrived at Singers. All ships can replenish nd the base should pop up to 65-70k supply!!!

Good timing. Now we can hunker down if need be and hope the sub swarm can do some work. I'll be setting all FP to day and night search full range and the subs will all converge on this area between Singkawang and Singapore. If he moves in it'll be dicey. All ships should make it under CAP unless he sends in surface forces ahead, but I doubt that after recent losses to the IJN. Still, this game is full of surprises!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 11/14/2017 3:10:46 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 862
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/14/2017 3:11:31 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

They all made runs, and most of the hits for damage came after the strikes. Not as many Nates caught them before the runs.

I meant six of the 11 SB-IIIs, since that much of the report was visible. Didn't intend any comment on the other bombers.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 863
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/14/2017 3:19:52 PM   
ny59giants

If O19 and O20 are still available, I put both in same Sub Minelaying TF. I would have them 1 NE of Palembang to drop them.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 864
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/14/2017 3:38:11 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

quote:

I meant six of the 11 SB-IIIs, since that much of the report was visible. Didn't intend any comment on the other bombers.

Right. The reports though often split even a group of like planes into different packages. Here is all.

This probably lets me know also there is no radar in hex. Long time to target.

Morning Air attack on Wuchang , at 84,51

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 28

Allied aircraft
SB-III x 11
Blenheim IV x 10
Hudson IIIa x 3
Hudson I x 16

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
SB-III: 1 damaged
Blenheim IV: 2 damaged
Hudson IIIa: 1 damaged
Hudson I: 1 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x SB-III bombing from 7000 feet *
3 x SB-III bombing from 7000 feet *
2 x SB-III bombing from 7000 feet *
6 x Hudson I bombing from 7000 feet *
5 x Hudson I bombing from 7000 feet *
5 x Hudson I bombing from 7000 feet *
10 x Blenheim IV bombing from 7000 feet *
3 x Hudson IIIa bombing from 7000 feet
City Attack: 4 x 250 lb GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
54th Sentai with Ki-27b Nate (4 airborne, 10 on standby, 14 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 7000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 34 minutes

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 865
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/14/2017 3:41:11 PM   
obvert

quote:

If O19 and O20 are still available, I put both in same Sub Minelaying TF. I would have them 1 NE of Palembang to drop them.

Oooh. Can't block that hex!!! I need to get in there!

I've pretty much wiped out all ships in port I think, and although I know something could come by sea to add in, I don't want to hurt my own ships moving in to stop them. I'd rather duke it out there.

I should though add some just in front of Singkawang on all sides and at Pontiniak!! Good idea!

I also have the Abdiel, and about 4 USN DM, but pools are low. Some of the other slower CM are also here, but those are destined for Merak. I need most to use at Merak and at Singers actually. I have about 400 waiting to drop once the big boys begin to roll in, if they do.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 866
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/14/2017 4:32:53 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

I've pretty much wiped out all ships in port I think, and although I know something could come by sea to add in, I don't want to hurt my own ships moving in to stop them. I'd rather duke it out there.

I should though add some just in front of Singkawang on all sides and at Pontiniak!! Good idea!

I also have the Abdiel, and about 4 USN DM, but pools are low. Some of the other slower CM are also here, but those are destined for Merak. I need most to use at Merak and at Singers actually. I have about 400 waiting to drop once the big boys begin to roll in, if they do.

In my experience you don't often hit your own mines.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 867
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/14/2017 4:49:26 PM   
ny59giants

Or you could drop mines just down river from Saigon.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 868
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/14/2017 4:49:52 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

In my experience you don't often hit your own mines.

I certainly do!

If they're in an open hex they're fair game for all. In a base hex the owner will not hit them.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 869
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 11/14/2017 4:52:43 PM   
obvert

quote:

Or you could drop mines just down river from Saigon.

Yes, another good idea!

The oblique attack is something I'm moving toward. If I can take out the xAKE at Singkawang that'll force replenishment elsewhere, and Cam Ran Bay, Saigon and Bangkok will then be great targets for mines. Other nearby bases will then need to be visited by recon and 4Es to find any other lurking xAKE.

I did get some auxilliary ships including an AR, an AS and an cake at Palembang, so now it's important to find any others around. I get LR recon in about a week at Aden. But of course that's like 2-3 planes. so I have to be careful with them.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 870
Page:   <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI