Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Monster Scenarios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Monster Scenarios Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/14/2017 7:28:24 PM   
Spectre195

Is that in response to me?

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 61
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/14/2017 7:38:26 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spectre195
Is that in response to me?

That's right Tyler dude. I'm curious about your computer handle. I used to fly on
Spectre gunships you see. Actually there were two versions of The Great War
and I intended to get the most recent one but I'm not sure I did. It's one of the
most complicated scenario there are however. I ran my copy through the editor and
looked around the map. It's huge.

(in reply to Spectre195)
Post #: 62
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/14/2017 7:47:54 PM   
Spectre195

Oh thanks! I'm a little confused however, is that for TOAWIV? That site you mentioned seems to be pretty old. I am brand new to the series, TOAWIV will be my first. Is that the official one that will be in the launch?

Post #: 63
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/14/2017 7:56:58 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Oh thanks! I'm a little confused however, is that for TOAWIV?

First of all Welcome to the forum. We're friendly here and helpful and just
about anybody here can answer your questions. And no, I'm sorry, The Great
War
isn't scheduled to be released however I have it on very good authority
that the forum is going to have a scenario's section where we can post our
latest and greatest mod and it'll be a place where we can trade our scenarios.

quote:

That site you mentioned seems to be pretty old.

Rugged Defense has been there since I was a member of the forum, many years
now.

quote:

I am brand new to the series, TOAWIV will be my first.

Well, good for you. You'll not have had to endure the evil editor and the old style of
game play. You'll be driving the best car in the showroom.

quote:

Is that the official one that will be in the launch?

There are WWI scenarios that will be in the release but I doubt that The Great War
will be one of them. Sorry about that. Just name a scenario and I'll go to Rugged
Defense and see if I can't find it.

(in reply to Spectre195)
Post #: 64
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/14/2017 8:38:29 PM   
Meyer1

Larry, actually, "The Great War 1914 – 1918" is on the list of TOAW IV scenarios that Daniele posted http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4373423

So, no need to deal with that old one, unless is a completely different but similar named scenario.

Post #: 65
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/14/2017 8:45:23 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Meyer1
Larry, actually, "The Great War 1914 – 1918" is on the list of TOAW IV scenarios that Daniele posted http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4373423

So, no need to deal with that old one, unless is a completely different but similar named scenario.

Actually the only WWI scenario I could find in Daniele's list is 1914-Guns of August and
The Great War 1914-1918 isn't in the list as far as I could tell. So I'm thinking we're
still a go for liftoff.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 66
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/14/2017 8:47:33 PM   
Meyer1

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

Actually the only WWI scenario I could find in Daniele's list is 1914-Guns of August and
The Great War 1914-1918 isn't in the list as far as I could tell. So I'm thinking we're
still a go for liftoff.

You have to click on the image to open the full list http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/PDF/TOAoW4_scenarios-list_low-res(4).pdf

Post #: 67
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/14/2017 8:49:24 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

quote:

quote:

still a go for liftoff.

You have to click on the image to open the full list http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/PDF/TOAoW4_scenarios-list_low-res(4).pdf

OOoops. I didn't know that. Well, I stand corrected. It may be the same one, it's possible but I'm
not sure. At any rate we'll still need a section of the forum to trade scenarios with each other.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 68
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/15/2017 8:10:38 AM   
Cfant

Hm, there are many scenarios I know from TOAW III. Most of them didn't work fine in the end, the patches changed too much of the game. For Example, I played two games of a WW1-monster-scenario simultaneously. Both ended in early 1915 - in 3.4. the defense went stronger, making the scenario unplayable, so we stopped.
Sad to say, that even scenarios which were updated for 3.4. just changed to stand up to supply changes, but not the stronger defense. So they were playable, but no longer balanced.

So my question is: Concerning the scenarios, which are taken from TOAW III and converted to TOAW IV: Are they updated to be balanced as well? Or "just" playable?

< Message edited by Cfant -- 11/15/2017 8:11:04 AM >

Post #: 69
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/15/2017 8:22:19 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cfant
Hm, there are many scenarios I know from TOAW III. Most of them didn't work fine in the end, the patches changed too much of the game. For Example, I played two games of a WW1-monster-scenario simultaneously. Both ended in early 1915 - in 3.4. the defense went stronger, making the scenario unplayable, so we stopped.
Sad to say, that even scenarios which were updated for 3.4. just changed to stand up to supply changes, but not the stronger defense. So they were playable, but no longer balanced.

So my question is: Concerning the scenarios, which are taken from TOAW III and converted to TOAW IV: Are they updated to be balanced as well? Or "just" playable?

Earlier scenario's don't know from BTS. I doubt that there are any balanced scenarios now except for the new ones specifically designed for TOAW IV.

EDIT: BTS happens to both sides obviously, but some scenarios may be
orchestrated and time critical things might need to happen for the
scenario to be "balanced" and a level playing field for both sides. I
seriously doubt that can be achieved in the older scenarios unless there's
a playtest and an adjustment, repeat PRN until it's balanced.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 11/15/2017 8:26:52 AM >

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 70
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/15/2017 8:33:52 AM   
Tamas

quote:

quote:

Earlier scenario's don't know from BTS. I doubt that there are any balanced scenarios now except for the new ones specifically designed for TOAW IV.

EDIT: BTS happens to both sides obviously, but some scenarios may be
orchestrated and time critical things might need to happen for the
scenario to be "balanced" and a level playing field for both sides. I
seriously doubt that can be achieved in the older scenarios unless there's
a playtest and an adjustment, repeat PRN until it's balanced.

Come on Larry. You as a beta tester should remember we have had an entire sub-forum dedicated to updating scenarios that were already present in TOAW3.

Post #: 71
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/15/2017 8:43:22 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Come on Larry. You as a beta tester should remember we have had an entire sub-forum dedicated to updating scenarios that were already present in TOAW3.

So you're saying that all the TOAW3 scenarios, or at least a lot of them, have been adjusted already? That's cool. I
knew there was a project doing something with them. That's really great news to me. Thanks for that.

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 72
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/15/2017 8:44:42 AM   
Cfant

Thanks. That sounds quite promising. I always wanted to lead Austria-Hungary to World Domination.

Post #: 73
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/15/2017 8:48:15 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Thanks. That sounds quite promising. I always wanted to lead Austria-Hungary to World Domination.

Are you into WWI games? If so, you'd probably be interested in taking a look at The Great War 1914-1918.
It's truly a monster of a game. Thousands of units and a huge map. I'd like to know your impressions of it.

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 74
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/15/2017 11:18:13 AM   
Cfant

I liked the WW1-scenarios of TOAW III very much. The scenario I meant was designed by McBride I think. Since I have children, my time for monster-scenarios has evaporated like Austrian-Hungarian units in Serbia... But it sounds quite interesting.

Post #: 75
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/15/2017 9:18:24 PM   
fogger

I have been testing FITE2 with Loveman1. I currently have 2,147 units in play. Willie would have some where between 2 and 3 times that number. We are currently on turn 180. Scale of 5 kms per hex. Some of the new features does make playing a game this big very manageable.

TOAW 4 is great. On the surface it may appear to be to be similar to TOAW 3 but lit the hood and you will see that the old two stroke motor has been replaced with a V8 motor.

One word of warning. If you purchase TOAW 4 (which I do recommend) it will be the last game you will purchase until TOAW 5 comes out sometime in the very distanced future. All your other games will go to the bottom draw.

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 76
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/16/2017 5:42:22 AM   
Cfant

quote:

ORIGINAL: fogger

Some of the new features does make playing a game this big very manageable.

Can you tell us which features? FitE was a nightmare, timewise. I playtested FitE2 for ten turns. You have be single, jobless and without children to play this. So what do you mean, it's better manageable?

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 77
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/16/2017 9:00:38 AM   
fogger

The jump map.

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 78
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/16/2017 1:07:38 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

quote:

Are you into WWI games? If so, you'd probably be interested in taking a look at The Great War 1914-1918.
It's truly a monster of a game. Thousands of units and a huge map. I'd like to know your impressions of it.

I think that's the one Cfant mentioned; the monster by Piero Falotti.

http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/scenarii/the-operational-art-of-war-scenario-492-The-Great-War-1914-1918-(by-Piero)

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

Post #: 79
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Monster Scenarios Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI