Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 3:12:40 AM   
SilentHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: cquail

Wow! Glad I saw this thread about the AI issue. I was considering buying it as I only would play this single player.

What is wrong with you people? Its now been confirmed every scenario has ai, some have additional scripting but everyone has some form of ai to play against. Stop beating the dead horse

(in reply to cquail)
Post #: 31
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 3:13:40 AM   
Meyer1

quote:

ORIGINAL: cquail

Wow! Glad I saw this thread about the AI issue. I was considering buying it as I only would play this single player.

I don`t kow what conclussion you got from this thread, but most of the over 200 scenarios are designed to be played against the AI and you could also play against the AI the rest of them.

(in reply to cquail)
Post #: 32
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 3:15:46 AM   
BigDuke66

OK I took a quick look and of 286 scenario 121 state the use of both sides as PO and 36 have one side as PO.
Only 33 scenario state they are PBEM only.
Most unaccounted are surely playable vs AI too, it's just that the info is deep in those long briefings.
In the end all are playable vs the AI, how good depends on the scenario designer.

All these false accusations that there would be no scenarios playable vs the AI is just the poor attempt to rob the developers of their money.

(in reply to cquail)
Post #: 33
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 3:18:34 AM   
Meyer1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Meyer1

While you are whining about things that are not true, user sPzAbt653 is posting new scenarios to download in the mod section. And he enjoys programming the AI

Launch day and you already have another four scenarios for free. Keep complaining...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1661

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 34
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 3:23:42 AM   
Kadota

I wonder if he knows how to change to an AI opponent...the manual tells you how at the beginning of page 9.

(in reply to cquail)
Post #: 35
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 3:30:54 AM   
pochepiller

4k still unplayable

(in reply to Kadota)
Post #: 36
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 3:32:49 AM   
BigDuke66

Try to ask cdcool, he has adjusted the ini file so even 4k is readable:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4377371

(in reply to pochepiller)
Post #: 37
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 3:36:13 AM   
alwaysdime

You can also edit the font size in game under Player Options and then Edit Font on the 2nd page. You will have to restart the game for the changes to take affect.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 38
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 3:39:30 AM   
pochepiller

I did change the font and change the resolution, still look really bad. It's a shame it was overlooked by the developper, I was so excited coming from work.

< Message edited by pochepiller -- 11/17/2017 3:41:37 AM >

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 39
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 3:41:25 AM   
zakblood

the game supports screen sizes and has been mentioned more than a few times in the tech support questions on it,

apart from that, the question on the AI will be answered formally by admin or the developer asap,...

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 40
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 3:42:16 AM   
pochepiller

And I couldn't fix it and I saw those forum, thank you sir but your dismissal is unwelcomed

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 41
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 3:42:28 AM   
erazerhead99

double post

< Message edited by erazerhead99 -- 11/17/2017 3:46:31 AM >

(in reply to cquail)
Post #: 42
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 3:49:48 AM   
zakblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: pochepiller

And I couldn't fix it and I saw those forum, thank you sir but your dismissal is unwelcomed

quote:

There is a full screen mode, but it also requires you to enter the resolution you want to use

the second quote is about full screen and is from the developer, and i'm sure if anyone is still having an issue with resolution just open a post of there own, posting a report and someone will reply with the instructions on how to edit the game file to suit that given res,...

most standard sizes are already in the game, but others have to be manually entered it seems, but there's plenty who have already posted that they have it working fine with 4k sizes

How to get a DirectX Diagnostic file:

1. click on "START"
2. click "run"
3. type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments rather than pasted into the body of the post.

once the report has been made, just attach it to your post with first adding the file to a zip, which is then permitted to attach to the forum

(in reply to pochepiller)
Post #: 43
RE: HOW TO UNDERSTAND THE AI - 11/17/2017 3:53:10 AM   
sPzAbt653

Some explanation seems in order. For TOAW, Single Player Mode has two levels. There is Level 1, an AI, it is a written code program that is in place for every scenario and is not accessible to scenario designers [and well it shouldn't be]. Level 2 is separate, it is the Programmed Opponent [PO} that must be programmed by the scenario designer for every scenario in order to function. Level 1 won't really do anything unless given direction by Level 2. The amount of programming for Level 2 by scenario designers varies. It can range from just enough to allow the game to function [which for most players would not be considered a challenge], to full blown 'my programmed opponent will crush you'.

CIV estimates that 95% of all games are played solo, so these are valid concerns. Not all might be interested, but the Level 2 that I talk about above is fully accessible by all players in the Editor, and therefore there is the option to set up your own PO in a scenario that doesn't have one, or to modify one that is in place. Maybe one day I will make a video for this

Graph excerpt from SHunwick's TOAW III Scenario Catalogue. We haven't heard from him today so I have no idea if this has been updated for IV.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Auchinleck)
Post #: 44
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 3:53:47 AM   
pochepiller

the icon dont resize and stay very small, the font is all over the place event when I edited each of them manually (a chore). Most game (all) I buy have no problem with resolution but your tech is so much primitive that I call it TOAW 3.

Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar and your game is the 2 I can't run on my 4k monitor. Bravo.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 45
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 3:53:54 AM   
Meyer1

Now the 4k complain is a valid one, it would be nice to know if there are people using that resolution without problems, and if that's the case maybe we could find a solution for pochepiller.

< Message edited by Meyer1 -- 11/17/2017 3:57:44 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 46
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 4:44:03 AM   
Tamas

Pochepiller, if you haven't already, please check the relevant thread in the Tech Support forum and let us know there if the solution offered helped you or not.

As for "no AI": ALL the scenarios can be played in single player without exception. The difference that can be made between the nearly 300 scenarios, is whether specific AI scripts to help and optimise AI planning have been added or not.

Some of the scenarios, and indeed, that usually means the massive ones, do not have such AI scripts and the designers felt that due to this the AI's performance in their scenarios does not live up to the standard set by the other 200+ ones. So they market these "PBEM only".

I'd like to point out that we have almost as many scenarios marked "PO (AI) only", including one of the most impressive and biggest ones, Directive 21, that lets you play the Axis forces through the entire East Front campaign from 1941 to 1945. The designers suggest you play this as the Axis, and your long term victory objective is not to lose Berlin by the end of it!
And also in the case of these scenarios, there is nothing stopping you from playing them PBEM. It is merely that the designers felt that the events scripted etc. give you the most historic result if you play as a specific side in single player.

And then there is the vast majority of the scenarios, where the AI has been properly helped by scripts for both sides AND the designers are not shy about recommending PBEM either.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 47
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 4:55:55 AM   
Tamas

Oh and while we are at the topic of monster scenarios, another thread here reminded me, that everyone should check out "Campaign for South Vietnam" in the "Custom Graphics" folder - It is a scenario covering the entire Vietnam War, IIRC with AI properly set up for both sides, and with ingenious design to use existing game mechanics to simulate unique concerns of that conflict.

It is one of those "game within the game" massive undertakings that we have several of, similar to Directive 21 that I just mentioned.

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 48
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 5:04:23 AM   
aperfecturkel

Holy cow, thank you, I had registered just to take a shot at clearing that up.

In short, there's AI, and a way for scenario designers to tailor the AI's behavior to their scenario. Not having a Programmed Opponent(PO) doesn't stop the AI from working, it just - understandably - probably won't perform as well as if it had the scenario's creator guiding its preferences and behavior by hand.

Ed: Now, if I could figure out how to kick this thing into full screen mode in "Opart 4.ini"...

< Message edited by aperfecturkel -- 11/17/2017 5:07:02 AM >

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 49
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 6:04:52 AM   
Auchinleck

I just played the Coral Sea Scenario. I played the Allied side, and assigned the Japanese as the Computer. The game ended after 20 turns as an Allied Victory. No way to tell why. Because the Japanese computer didn't even move a Ship. Kind of like playing the Computer in Chess, only the Computer never moves any of it's pieces. You can imagine how much fun it was.

(in reply to SilentHunter)
Post #: 50
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 6:35:05 AM   
solops

I am a very experienced TOAW player, but I have not played much in the last few years. I am finding the UI a challenge, but it is coming back quickly. I think that a contributing factor in the AI opponent confusion is that the process of selecting and setting up a new scenario is not very well done. The options are powerful but not obvious or easy to find. It took me several tries to set up the pc opponent the first time because I kept expecting the game to ask me how to set up the sides. It never does. You have to go looking for the options. I am still not sure if I am setting it all up right. The UI has the same problem in other places. Once you learn it, it is fast and powerful. But for a newby it has got to be frustrating. This game was made as a labor of love by people who breathed it. I do not think they realize how frustrating some of the UI elements are to people who have never played. Once you get past that, the game is GREAT. Maybe they can address some of these things.

< Message edited by solops -- 11/17/2017 6:38:39 AM >

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to Auchinleck)
Post #: 51
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 6:42:44 AM   
Auchinleck

Well you ignored the reality of what I just posted. Most of the World War II in Asia scenarios, are useless to play as a Single Player. If there is no script for the Computer opponent to follow, the Computer will do nothing with it's forces. Literally nothing. 'Veteran Players' of older versions of TOAW, are either purposely glossing over that key fact, or have never played from the Folder I mentioned.

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 52
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 6:50:33 AM   
Tamas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Auchinleck

I just played the Coral Sea Scenario. I played the Allied side, and assigned the Japanese as the Computer. The game ended after 20 turns as an Allied Victory. No way to tell why. Because the Japanese computer didn't even move a Ship. Kind of like playing the Computer in Chess, only the Computer never moves any of it's pieces. You can imagine how much fun it was.

This is something that was reported by a beta tester on the morning of the release, and confirmed as a bug later yesterday: unfortunately a bug was introduced recently, that can make the naval AI "fall asleep" so to speak. We have a fix for it already, and will roll it out ASAP.

(in reply to Auchinleck)
Post #: 53
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 6:51:58 AM   
solops

I have to admit I have never played any of the Asia stuff. I am a WW2 Europe guy. And there are some scenarios that are two player designed. But, for the most part, the stuff I gravitate toward is fine. A better initial game set-up would go a long way toward alleviating problems and steer new players away from scenarios that they might not like.

< Message edited by solops -- 11/17/2017 6:53:01 AM >

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to Auchinleck)
Post #: 54
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 6:57:42 AM   
solops

I have had an epiphany! TOAW 1 & 2 were so great and easy... and 3 was even better. I had no problems. Why? I was a whole lot smarter 20+ years ago!!!
It's all so clear now.....

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 55
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 7:26:09 AM   
dobrodukh

Damn. Why didn't I saw this topic before I bought the game!

(in reply to cquail)
Post #: 56
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 7:33:32 AM   
Tamas

quote:

ORIGINAL: dobrodukh

Damn. Why didn't I saw this topic before I bought the game!

What is the particular issue you are having?

(in reply to dobrodukh)
Post #: 57
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 7:51:49 AM   
Plochan

I am probably in similar situation as many in this topic. I am interested in monster scenarios and in single player. For us without the game it is hard to identify which scenarios can be played this way.

To my understanding, from reading these posts, basic AI is all present but not challenging and PO should be taken as a requirement for satisfying single player experience. It would be extremely helpful if there was a list on which monster scenarios or some other interesting scenarios from different periods have PO. There is no need to list all scenarios, few from each period would be enough so that people can have a minimum expectations.

I will be buying this game because there is enough scenarios with PO that interest me. It was hard to find this information (good source is page Rugged defense that somebody already linked, although not 100% relevant/accurate) and I believe it is the biggest reason for these negative posts/topics.

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 58
RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! - 11/17/2017 8:27:24 AM   
JiminyJickers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Plochan

I am probably in similar situation as many in this topic. I am interested in monster scenarios and in single player. For us without the game it is hard to identify which scenarios can be played this way.

To my understanding, from reading these posts, basic AI is all present but not challenging and PO should be taken as a requirement for satisfying single player experience. It would be extremely helpful if there was a list on which monster scenarios or some other interesting scenarios from different periods have PO. There is no need to list all scenarios, few from each period would be enough so that people can have a minimum expectations.

I will be buying this game because there is enough scenarios with PO that interest me. It was hard to find this information (good source is page Rugged defense that somebody already linked, although not 100% relevant/accurate) and I believe it is the biggest reason for these negative posts/topics.

Well said Plochan.

(in reply to Plochan)
Post #: 59
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: HOW TO GET A REFUND! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI