Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Option to make Combat Chart default report?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Option to make Combat Chart default report? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Option to make Combat Chart default report? - 11/20/2017 1:56:10 PM   
JPJ

Is there an option to make the new Combat Chart (the table format) the default report, rather than the Full Report?

I find the concise Chart very useful (thank you!) and much clearer as a first overview of the results. So much that I would like to see the Chart first and click to see the Full Report only if I wish to verify specific details. Now I get the detailed Full Report first.

The manual says "The Combat Chart is accessed from the Detailed Combat Report", which makes me think that there is no option (yet?) to show the Chart first, or that I overlooked it.

I have Detailed Combat Reports = On (in Player Options).

< Message edited by JPJ -- 11/20/2017 2:29:10 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Option to make Combat Chart default report? - 11/20/2017 2:46:00 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: JPJ

Is there an option to make the new Combat Chart (the table format) the default report, rather than the Full Report?

Not yet. I had a tough time selling the Combat Chart. (Ralph thinks I have a spreadsheet fetish - and he's right ). They were afraid folks would see that and think this was a spreadsheet game.

But, once everyone gets used to it, and there is enough clamoring, we could make it optionally turn up first.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to JPJ)
Post #: 2
RE: Option to make Combat Chart default report? - 11/20/2017 3:29:36 PM   
ralphtricky

Absolutely, I just didn't want the first reviews to be peppered with wonderful pictures of this new feature. While it's very useful, I'm sure some people would have looked at it and run away quickly.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 3
RE: Option to make Combat Chart default report? - 11/21/2017 12:31:16 AM   
JPJ

Thank you both for considering this. I hope other players will like this option, too.

---
And yes I agree. There is a lot to say for the full report. Lists are a familiar format and have worked since ages in TOAW and other games (and in literature). But can be long and hard to digest. On the other hand, this chart that condenses all information in a nicely colored table that you can grasp at a glance is pretty amazing.

For me the personal preference is that I like to see the higher level view (chart) first, rather than the details (full list). The chart also aligns better with the rounds in my head.

But regardless of preferences, the long list and the chart are "only" different views of the same data at the same moment, aren't they? An option to select which one turns up first might have the best of both worlds.

At least on the surface it seems the current full report and chart windows need not be redesigned for this. They already link to each other and have the loss report buttons. It would appear either can be dispayed as the default.

< Message edited by JPJ -- 11/21/2017 1:21:52 AM >

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 4
RE: Option to make Combat Chart default report? - 11/21/2017 3:10:31 AM   
budd

The combat chart is a great addition, i look at that first then dig in if i want to know more.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to JPJ)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Option to make Combat Chart default report? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI