Option to make Combat Chart default report? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV

JPJ -> Option to make Combat Chart default report? (11/20/2017 1:56:10 PM)

Is there an option to make the new Combat Chart (the table format) the default report, rather than the Full Report?

I find the concise Chart very useful (thank you!) and much clearer as a first overview of the results. So much that I would like to see the Chart first and click to see the Full Report only if I wish to verify specific details. Now I get the detailed Full Report first.

The manual says "The Combat Chart is accessed from the Detailed Combat Report", which makes me think that there is no option (yet?) to show the Chart first, or that I overlooked it.

I have Detailed Combat Reports = On (in Player Options).

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Option to make Combat Chart default report? (11/20/2017 2:46:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JPJ

Is there an option to make the new Combat Chart (the table format) the default report, rather than the Full Report?

Not yet. I had a tough time selling the Combat Chart. (Ralph thinks I have a spreadsheet fetish - and he's right [:D]). They were afraid folks would see that and think this was a spreadsheet game.

But, once everyone gets used to it, and there is enough clamoring, we could make it optionally turn up first.

ralphtricky -> RE: Option to make Combat Chart default report? (11/20/2017 3:29:36 PM)

Absolutely, I just didn't want the first reviews to be peppered with wonderful pictures of this new feature. While it's very useful, I'm sure some people would have looked at it and run away quickly.

JPJ -> RE: Option to make Combat Chart default report? (11/21/2017 12:31:16 AM)

Thank you both for considering this. I hope other players will like this option, too.

---
And yes I agree. There is a lot to say for the full report. Lists are a familiar format and have worked since ages in TOAW and other games (and in literature). But can be long and hard to digest. On the other hand, this chart that condenses all information in a nicely colored table that you can grasp at a glance is pretty amazing.

For me the personal preference is that I like to see the higher level view (chart) first, rather than the details (full list). The chart also aligns better with the rounds in my head.

But regardless of preferences, the long list and the chart are "only" different views of the same data at the same moment, aren't they? An option to select which one turns up first might have the best of both worlds.

At least on the surface it seems the current full report and chart windows need not be redesigned for this. They already link to each other and have the loss report buttons. It would appear either can be dispayed as the default.

budd -> RE: Option to make Combat Chart default report? (11/21/2017 3:10:31 AM)

The combat chart is a great addition, i look at that first then dig in if i want to know more.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI