Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

My one big gripe about WITP AE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> My one big gripe about WITP AE Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 1:01:44 PM   
jbdenney

I came face to face with my single biggest gripe about the game last night.

I had been issuing orders for about 1.5 hours when something came up so I had to get off pretty quick. No more than 0.000001 seconds after I hit the exit button I realized I had failed to save.

Why in such a massive and complex example of coding there is not a simple "You have not saved since your latest changes. Are you sure you want to exit without saving?" flag.

I don't know which I damaged more - my head or the wall.
Post #: 1
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 1:08:00 PM   
btd64

Been there, done that. Think of it as a learning experience.....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to jbdenney)
Post #: 2
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 1:26:14 PM   
MakeeLearn

Save many times during a long turn and Practice.

Make it a ritual that you quit a game only by directly going from the save game screen to the quit button. Muscle memory.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 3
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 1:29:11 PM   
jbdenney

Yea - I know the drill and I do save often (I.T. guy). Last night was just one of those times that got a bit hectic and I got distracted.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 4
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 2:12:29 PM   
witpqs

Yes, a great change would be to automatically save to a different slot as part of the end-turn process.

(in reply to jbdenney)
Post #: 5
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 2:23:59 PM   
Zecke

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbdenney

I came face to face with my single biggest gripe about the game last night.

I had been issuing orders for about 1.5 hours when something came up so I had to get off pretty quick. No more than 0.000001 seconds after I hit the exit button I realized I had failed to save.

Why in such a massive and complex example of coding there is not a simple "You have not saved since your latest changes. Are you sure you want to exit without saving?" flag.

I don't know which I damaged more - my head or the wall.

sinf...sniff; it happend to me yesterday?...snif..sniffffffffff (que rica esta)..

(in reply to jbdenney)
Post #: 6
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 2:36:12 PM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/25/2018 10:49:36 AM >

(in reply to Zecke)
Post #: 7
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 2:48:39 PM   
geofflambert

Oh, that poor, poor wall!

I do interim saves every 20 minutes or so as a matter of course, as well as any point I'm going to leave the game. I even make one immediately before ending the turn so I can come back to it if needed.

That can save you a lot of trouble if you have a power outage, too.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 12/1/2017 2:49:42 PM >

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 8
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 2:54:05 PM   
Yaab

"something came up" = she

You must get better at hiding your new addiction i.e. when you browse through Manila ships, you really browse through the online Imelda Marcos shoe collection with funky names.

- Oh, she had that Langley model shoes too.

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 9
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 2:55:02 PM   
geofflambert

I keep about a months worth of backups. As you can see here I'm overwriting older slots, slot # 54 is the last save.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 10
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 3:13:09 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I keep about a months worth of backups. As you can see here I'm overwriting older slots, slot # 54 is the last save.

I assume that's your interminable game with AW1Steve? 3/23/42? I know with the cooler weather you're naturally torporous, but c'mon man, pick up the pace!

Post #: 11
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 3:19:52 PM   
jbdenney

On keeping saves I have an archive file folder where I have a renamed copy of every "Start of Turn" (i.e. end of last turn) and a "End of Order Phase" for each game turn. Also once I finish the "End of Orders" phase for the first Game turn I make a complete Zipped Archive of the entire WitP AE game folder along with all of my spread sheets and documentation. That way I don't have to do the nightmare of another first order phase.

If I ever get to the point of using the Atomic Bomb I will take another full zip archive of the game folder and documentation so I can play both with or with out the A-Bomb (really curious to play out Operation Olympic).

My forgetting to save was very unusual for me. I am usually the most paranoid person for backups you can imagine. Way too many years of being an IT support person.

Post #: 12
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 3:31:33 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: chemkid

never , never ever exit WITP-AE! just leave it until you come back to it - btw, same goes for tracker...
you don't wanna wait reloading your last save into tracker, ever!

It's not about exiting AE. It's about ending the turn. Most players make a save just before they exit in case 1) they remember something before they email the turn, or 2) they want to look over things for planning while their opponent takes time with the turn.

BTW, if you leave AE open between turns eventually graphics glitches start popping up. Exiting AE between turns is a good practice.

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 13
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 4:11:11 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I assume that's your interminable game with AW1Steve? 3/23/42? I know with the cooler weather you're naturally torporous, but c'mon man, pick up the pace!

Yea Gorn, Pickup the pace. Mike and I are nearing the end of June 1943 and we started this past March.....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 14
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 4:13:41 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Yes, a great change would be to automatically save to a different slot as part of the end-turn process.

Got over 2,000 turns in with my capable opponent. Done it a few times. DC area has a lot of summer storms. Don't know how many times I have left it up on my screen only to come home and find that a lightning surge had cause a few seconds power blackout. Just comes with the territory. Keep telling myself to save more often, keep screwing up. Well, there you have it...

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 15
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 4:15:16 PM   
crsutton

Be nice to have an auto save that would run and save in a separate slot every ten minutes or so. Can that be modded in?

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 16
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 4:22:46 PM   
Dili

Get a laptop, they come with batteries

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 17
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 5:13:16 PM   
Macclan5

- does not come with spouse and / or children suppression and damage control tools.

After playing 8 straight hours on a given weekend day - I would think my spouse and children should be ...well frankly ecstatic... that I invaded Tarawa with nominal losses a minimum of 6 months ahead of schedule.

*disclaimer played only against AI

I mean I mine swept - bombarded - air bombarded - sent in the tanks first - sent in the shock troops second - sent in the support battalions too - unloaded a gazilion tons of supply - got a 3 to 1 Shock and wrapped it up in 3 days.

Who the heck cares that there is nothing prepared for supper or the garbage needs taking out

Sorry hijacked the thread.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 18
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 5:34:30 PM   
Yaab

- You did well, my young tarawan.

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 19
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 5:44:40 PM   
Macclan5

.. my workplace IT 'security department' does not allow downloads from 'gaming or questionable websites' onto its precious Bank owned laptop.

I mean gee whiz...

I could be some much more productive if I could spend 2 - 3 hours a day actually playing out different strategies at work ... rather than spending 4 - 5 hours a day : (1) planning out my next moves on paper (2( reading Allied AARs and (3) posting on forums....

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 20
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 8:41:54 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

- does not come with spouse and / or children suppression and damage control tools.

After playing 8 straight hours on a given weekend day - I would think my spouse and children should be ...well frankly ecstatic... that I invaded Tarawa with nominal losses a minimum of 6 months ahead of schedule.

I mean I mine swept - bombarded - air bombarded - sent in the tanks first - sent in the shock troops second - sent in the support battalions too - unloaded a gazilion tons of supply - got a 3 to 1 Shock and wrapped it up in 3 days.

Who the heck cares that there is nothing prepared for supper or the garbage needs taking out

Cat suppression would be nice. Especially for the keyboard.

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 21
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/1/2017 9:08:57 PM   
JeffroK

I have exited in error as well, the "Do you want to exit" sign is a great idea.

I also play JTS/HPS games.
Their Exit button (about 4mm square) is next to the "Change formation" button, playing ACW & Napoleonic games end up with a lot of false exits!!

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 22
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/2/2017 12:56:55 PM   
m10bob

Next best thing is the next time you play the game, you still have that wonderful "autosave" slot, so all is not lost.

We have all been where you were.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 23
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/2/2017 3:30:30 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

+1!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 24
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/2/2017 4:31:52 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Have you tried mousetraps all around your computer location?
J/K

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 25
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/2/2017 5:22:24 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Have you tried mousetraps all around your computer location?
J/K

Yes, and my mouse broke.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 26
RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE - 12/2/2017 7:35:42 PM   
adarbrauner

quote:

You're endangering your family cohesion and own life - and not sure that's worthy of.

Better I talk to myself cause I've done and being doing it already.

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> My one big gripe about WITP AE Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI