My one big gripe about WITP AE (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

jbdenney -> My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 1:01:44 PM)

I came face to face with my single biggest gripe about the game last night.

I had been issuing orders for about 1.5 hours when something came up so I had to get off pretty quick. No more than 0.000001 seconds after I hit the exit button I realized I had failed to save.

Why in such a massive and complex example of coding there is not a simple "You have not saved since your latest changes. Are you sure you want to exit without saving?" flag.

I don't know which I damaged more - my head or the wall.

btd64 -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 1:08:00 PM)

Been there, done that. Think of it as a learning experience.[sm=00000280.gif]....GP

MakeeLearn -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 1:26:14 PM)

Save many times during a long turn and Practice.

Make it a ritual that you quit a game only by directly going from the save game screen to the quit button. Muscle memory.

jbdenney -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 1:29:11 PM)

Yea - I know the drill and I do save often (I.T. guy). Last night was just one of those times that got a bit hectic and I got distracted.

witpqs -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 2:12:29 PM)

Yes, a great change would be to automatically save to a different slot as part of the end-turn process.

Zecke -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 2:23:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbdenney

I came face to face with my single biggest gripe about the game last night.

I had been issuing orders for about 1.5 hours when something came up so I had to get off pretty quick. No more than 0.000001 seconds after I hit the exit button I realized I had failed to save.

Why in such a massive and complex example of coding there is not a simple "You have not saved since your latest changes. Are you sure you want to exit without saving?" flag.

I don't know which I damaged more - my head or the wall.

sinf...sniff; it happend to me yesterday?...snif..sniffffffffff (que rica esta)..[:'(]

chemkid -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 2:36:12 PM)

geofflambert -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 2:48:39 PM)

Oh, that poor, poor wall!

I do interim saves every 20 minutes or so as a matter of course, as well as any point I'm going to leave the game. I even make one immediately before ending the turn so I can come back to it if needed.

That can save you a lot of trouble if you have a power outage, too.

Yaab -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 2:54:05 PM)

"something came up" = she

You must get better at hiding your new addiction i.e. when you browse through Manila ships, you really browse through the online Imelda Marcos shoe collection with funky names.

- Oh, she had that Langley model shoes too.

geofflambert -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 2:55:02 PM)

I keep about a months worth of backups. As you can see here I'm overwriting older slots, slot # 54 is the last save.

[image]local://upfiles/37002/9E4CAB66EB674893B518053F1828A57B.jpg[/image]

Chickenboy -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 3:13:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I keep about a months worth of backups. As you can see here I'm overwriting older slots, slot # 54 is the last save.

I assume that's your interminable game with AW1Steve? 3/23/42? I know with the cooler weather you're naturally torporous, but c'mon man, pick up the pace!

jbdenney -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 3:19:52 PM)

On keeping saves I have an archive file folder where I have a renamed copy of every "Start of Turn" (i.e. end of last turn) and a "End of Order Phase" for each game turn. Also once I finish the "End of Orders" phase for the first Game turn I make a complete Zipped Archive of the entire WitP AE game folder along with all of my spread sheets and documentation. That way I don't have to do the nightmare of another first order phase.

If I ever get to the point of using the Atomic Bomb I will take another full zip archive of the game folder and documentation so I can play both with or with out the A-Bomb (really curious to play out Operation Olympic).

My forgetting to save was very unusual for me. I am usually the most paranoid person for backups you can imagine. Way too many years of being an IT support person.

witpqs -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 3:31:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: chemkid

never , never ever exit WITP-AE! just leave it until you come back to it - btw, same goes for tracker...
you don't wanna wait reloading your last save into tracker, ever!

[8D]

It's not about exiting AE. It's about ending the turn. Most players make a save just before they exit in case 1) they remember something before they email the turn, or 2) they want to look over things for planning while their opponent takes time with the turn.

BTW, if you leave AE open between turns eventually graphics glitches start popping up. Exiting AE between turns is a good practice.

btd64 -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 4:11:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I assume that's your interminable game with AW1Steve? 3/23/42? I know with the cooler weather you're naturally torporous, but c'mon man, pick up the pace!

Yea Gorn, Pickup the pace. Mike and I are nearing the end of June 1943 and we started this past March.[X(][:D]....GP

crsutton -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 4:13:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Yes, a great change would be to automatically save to a different slot as part of the end-turn process.

Got over 2,000 turns in with my capable opponent. Done it a few times. DC area has a lot of summer storms. Don't know how many times I have left it up on my screen only to come home and find that a lightning surge had cause a few seconds power blackout. Just comes with the territory. Keep telling myself to save more often, keep screwing up. Well, there you have it...[8|]

crsutton -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 4:15:16 PM)

Be nice to have an auto save that would run and save in a separate slot every ten minutes or so. Can that be modded in?

Dili -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 4:22:46 PM)

Get a laptop, they come with batteries [;)]

Macclan5 -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 5:13:16 PM)

My one big gripe about WITP AE

- does not come with spouse and / or children suppression and damage control tools.

After playing 8 straight hours on a given weekend day - I would think my spouse and children should be ...well frankly ecstatic... that I invaded Tarawa with nominal losses a minimum of 6 months ahead of schedule.

*disclaimer played only against AI

I mean I mine swept - bombarded - air bombarded - sent in the tanks first - sent in the shock troops second - sent in the support battalions too - unloaded a gazilion tons of supply - got a 3 to 1 Shock and wrapped it up in 3 days.

Who the heck cares that there is nothing prepared for supper or the garbage needs taking out [:D]

Sorry hijacked the thread.[8D]

Yaab -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 5:34:30 PM)

- You did well, my young tarawan.

Macclan5 -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 5:44:40 PM)

.. my workplace IT 'security department' [>:] does not allow downloads from 'gaming or questionable websites' onto its precious Bank owned laptop.

I mean gee whiz...

I could be some much more productive if I could spend 2 - 3 hours a day actually playing out different strategies at work ... rather than spending 4 - 5 hours a day : (1) planning out my next moves on paper (2( reading Allied AARs and (3) posting on forums....

[8D]

Zorch -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 8:41:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

- does not come with spouse and / or children suppression and damage control tools.

After playing 8 straight hours on a given weekend day - I would think my spouse and children should be ...well frankly ecstatic... that I invaded Tarawa with nominal losses a minimum of 6 months ahead of schedule.

I mean I mine swept - bombarded - air bombarded - sent in the tanks first - sent in the shock troops second - sent in the support battalions too - unloaded a gazilion tons of supply - got a 3 to 1 Shock and wrapped it up in 3 days.

Who the heck cares that there is nothing prepared for supper or the garbage needs taking out [:D]

Cat suppression would be nice. Especially for the keyboard.

JeffroK -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/1/2017 9:08:57 PM)

I have exited in error as well, the "Do you want to exit" sign is a great idea.

I also play JTS/HPS games.
Their Exit button (about 4mm square) is next to the "Change formation" button, playing ACW & Napoleonic games end up with a lot of false exits!!

m10bob -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/2/2017 12:56:55 PM)

Next best thing is the next time you play the game, you still have that wonderful "autosave" slot, so all is not lost.

We have all been where you were.[:D]

John 3rd -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/2/2017 3:30:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

+1!

BBfanboy -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/2/2017 4:31:52 PM)

quote:

quote:

Have you tried mousetraps all around your computer location?
J/K [:'(]

Zorch -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/2/2017 5:22:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Have you tried mousetraps all around your computer location?
J/K [:'(]

Yes, and my mouse broke. [8|]

adarbrauner -> RE: My one big gripe about WITP AE (12/2/2017 7:35:42 PM)

quote:

You're endangering your family cohesion and own life - and not sure that's worthy of.

Better I talk to myself cause I've done and being doing it already.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI