Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 2/24/2017 8:18:52 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

What are the things you want to see changed? They changed the AI a lot which was my original gripe. Wars are now started more rationally.

Eh? Just had Russia and Egypt DoW me, the turn before they were friendly. The AI is still very aggro imo. But my main issues right now, are two things really;
1. Unability to move around the map with WASD. A small thing, yet one that is quite annoying.
2. No warnings that you can fire upon enemy units. This one is actually very annoying to me, and a feature that has been in the game atleast since Civ III. No idea why they decided this was not needed in VI.

But I think that the main reason for people complaining, is that they compare Civ VI with current Civ V. Add a few big DLCs to VI, and I think it will be better than V, but as of now, for me VI feels "light". Not bad, just light.

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 211
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 2/24/2017 11:59:11 PM   
Greybriar

quote:

What are the things you want to see changed? They changed the AI a lot which was my original gripe. Wars are now started more rationally.

I would like to see Civilization VI be more like the initial games in the series. Civilization VI is overly complicated. I don't like having to consult endless charts, manuals, and user guides in order to play the game. The early games in the series were easy to get into, just right when someone has come home from a hard day's work and wants to relax and take it easy, maybe have a couple of beers or a highball while playing a game of Civilization; s/he doesn't want to have to think too hard or do a lot of research in order to play a computer game.

It looks to me like some PC game companies have forgotten what the purpose of a PC game should be, which is to have fun. They have forgotten a basic rule--K.I.S.S. which is the abbreviation for Keep it Simple, Stupid.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 212
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 2/25/2017 4:39:20 AM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

I would like to see Civilization VI be more like the initial games in the series. Civilization VI is overly complicated. I don't like having to consult endless charts, manuals, and user guides in order to play the game. The early games in the series were easy to get into, just right when someone has come home from a hard day's work and wants to relax and take it easy, maybe have a couple of beers or a highball while playing a game of Civilization; s/he doesn't want to have to think too hard or do a lot of research in order to play a computer game.

Vanilla Civ4 fills that bill. At least for me.

quote:

It looks to me like some PC game companies have forgotten what the purpose of a PC game should be, which is to have fun. They have forgotten a basic rule--K.I.S.S. which is the abbreviation for Keep it Simple, Stupid.

SEE THIS HERE! THAT is the reason why great majority of gamers don't want to get involved with WitP, WitE, WitW, and other monster war games!

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 213
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 2/25/2017 5:31:11 AM   
Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

Vanilla Civ4 fills that bill. At least for me.

Vanilla Civ4 may fill the bill, but that was two Civ generations back. I played Civ 4 to death and still play it sometimes simply because I don't like Civ 6 and I wasn't particularly fond of Civ 5.

quote:

quote:

SEE THIS HERE! THAT is the reason why great majority of gamers don't want to get involved with WitP, WitE, WitW, and other monster war games!

You are comparing apples to oranges. The Civilization series is not anywhere close to being a Gary Grigsby game. Think beer & pretzels vs. Grognard.

< Message edited by Greybriar -- 2/25/2017 5:10:01 PM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 214
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 2/26/2017 6:10:42 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

quote:

quote:

You are comparing apples to oranges. The Civilization series is not anywhere close to being a Gary Grigsby game. Think beer & pretzels vs. Grognard.

Isn't that the point?

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 2/26/2017 6:11:57 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 215
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 2/27/2017 2:00:10 AM   
Greybriar

quote:

Isn't that the point?

Yeah, but you brought up Gary Grigsby's games and I was about half asleep.... Well, you get the picture.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 216
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 2/27/2017 4:40:23 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Sometimes you feel like beer & pretzels, sometimes you feel like Grigsby.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 217
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 5/4/2017 8:39:06 PM   
wings7

"Sid Meier’s Civilization VI" is on sale at 33% off! Sale ends May 11th! From the developers: "Originally created by legendary game designer Sid Meier, Civilization is a turn-based strategy game in which you attempt to build an empire to stand the test of time. Become Ruler of the World by establishing and leading a civilization from the Stone Age to the Information Age. Wage war, conduct diplomacy, advance your culture, and go head-to-head with history’s greatest leaders as you attempt to build the greatest civilization the world has ever known.

Civilization VI offers new ways to engage with your world: cities now physically expand across the map, active research in technology and culture unlocks new potential, and competing leaders will pursue their own agendas based on their historical traits as you race for one of five ways to achieve victory in the game."
More on the Store page...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/289070/Sid_Meiers_Civilization_VI/

Patrick

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 218
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 5/7/2017 4:04:46 PM   
wings7

I guess most Civ players here have already bought it...

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 219
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 5/7/2017 4:55:06 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

And gave up on it.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 220
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 5/7/2017 5:38:11 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

And gave up on it.

Or in my case, haven't tried it yet.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 221
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 5/7/2017 7:36:23 PM   
LarryP

It's frustrating that after several patches, the AI is still stupid and does stupid things that make no sense. Turn 5 I make friends with Egypt. They invite me over. Turn ten they call me names and want war. This was a major complaint the first day it came out. Still not fixed.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 222
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 5/8/2017 2:06:55 AM   
Qwixt

quote:

quote:

And gave up on it.

then forgot about it after filing it under game purchase mistake. Maybe in a few years it will be better.

< Message edited by Qwixt -- 5/8/2017 2:07:08 AM >

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 223
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 5/8/2017 11:45:36 AM   
wings7

quote:

It's frustrating that after several patches, the AI is still stupid and does stupid things that make no sense. Turn 5 I make friends with Egypt. They invite me over. Turn ten they call me names and want war. This was a major complaint the first day it came out. Still not fixed.

I'm sure you examined what was going or what happened between turns 5 and 10 to make Egypt turn on you like that...

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 224
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 5/8/2017 2:47:25 PM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

I'm sure you examined what was going or what happened between turns 5 and 10 to make Egypt turn on you like that...

It is because of some new mechanics;
1. Before a certain time, you do not get warmonger penalty for a DoW. So the AI will try to kill you before this.
2. The AI has "agendas". If you do not follow those, they will dislike you. Some might want you to have a large army, some want you to spread religion, some want you not to spread religion etc.

Whereas in earlier versions of the game you could get by with only having a token army and only fight the odd defensive war, in Civ VI you have to build your army rather quickly, and you will need to fight several wars. For those players that, like me, prefer to build a peaceful nation, Civ VI is worse than the previous 5 games in the series.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 225
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 5/8/2017 3:33:42 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

quote:

1. Before a certain time, you do not get warmonger penalty for a DoW. So the AI will try to kill you before this.
2. The AI has "agendas". If you do not follow those, they will dislike you. Some might want you to have a large army, some want you to spread religion, some want you not to spread religion etc.

Whereas in earlier versions of the game you could get by with only having a token army and only fight the odd defensive war, in Civ VI you have to build your army rather quickly, and you will need to fight several wars. For those players that, like me, prefer to build a peaceful nation, Civ VI is worse than the previous 5 games in the series.

So in Civ VI, it's really about war. I can see where people would scoff at that, for me there should be more of a balance, war and peace and everything in between. Like you say the other versions are more balanced...thanks for the explanation, sounds like you have put in some hours on Civ VI, any other balance issues you have experienced?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 226
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 5/8/2017 3:49:46 PM   
Rising-Sun

I wish they didn't make it too cartoonish in that final version, part five was pretty good graphics compare to VI. Also the world seem much smaller, to make it like Earth size would be really, really HUGE. But that wont happen because they demand too much pc performance. The is one mod that you can play Earth, isn't bad, but I just didn't like the game much.

I do however like the ideas when you do things, can you get bonus. Like building a settlement near the coast and get 50% off research bonus on seafaring whatever that tech is.

Still hearing the AIs is rather dumb at this point, better off playing with someone online, if they have the time and patience to play.

< Message edited by RisingSun -- 5/8/2017 3:50:42 PM >

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 227
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 5/8/2017 4:17:28 PM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

quote:

So in Civ VI, it's really about war. I can see where people would scoff at that, for me there should be more of a balance, war and peace and everything in between. Like you say the other versions are more balanced...thanks for the explanation, sounds like you have put in some hours on Civ VI, any other balance issues you have experienced?

Let me put it this way, previous 5 versions of Civ, 500+ hrs played on each. Civ VI, 70ish hrs played.

As to balance, well, the AI loves to go to war, but an AI is not really capable to wage war very well, so it did not take me long to beat the game on deity. In previous versions I had to play alot of games before managing to win on that difficulty, so the focus on war is not good, as the AI is bad at it...

Another "balance" issue, is that the game does not spread out coal, iron and oil, properly on the map. IRL those resources are found all across the globe, yet in Civ VI you will often see maps where only a small portion of the map sees any of these resources.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 228
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 5/8/2017 4:18:26 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

I wish they didn't make it too cartoonish in that final version, part five was pretty good graphics compare to VI. Also the world seem much smaller, to make it like Earth size would be really, really HUGE. But that wont happen because they demand too much pc performance. The is one mod that you can play Earth, isn't bad, but I just didn't like the game much.

I do however like the ideas when you do things, can you get bonus. Like building a settlement near the coast and get 50% off research bonus on seafaring whatever that tech is.

Still hearing the AIs is rather dumb at this point, better off playing with someone online, if they have the time and patience to play.

I disliked the cartoonish style at first too, but that is not a big issue for me anymore, but the AI really needs to be fixed.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 229
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 5/8/2017 10:29:51 PM   
Greybriar

I own every one of the games in the Civilization series and I consider Civilization VI to be the worst one yet. I would rather play Civilization II than Civilization VI.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 230
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 5/9/2017 6:50:21 AM   
Neorod

I really liked Civ V, and I do agree that Civ VI is probably the worst one of the series.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 231
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 5/9/2017 7:29:30 AM   
Rising-Sun

Might be awhile when they improve it, esp with another expansion for it. But still it is limited world and not as big compare part five. What were they thinking? That part six taken up a lot of pc performance and hardly can handle low end pc with lowest settings.

There a lot of fans on Steam wasn't happy with it either, mostly due to AI problems.

(in reply to Neorod)
Post #: 232
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 6/20/2017 12:13:24 PM   
matttanner

It's really annoying that you have to plan ahead if you want to build something later. I wanted to build a National Park and I had destroyed all the required nature by the time I unlocked it..

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 233
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 6/20/2017 12:15:49 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: matttanner

It's really annoying that you have to plan ahead if you want to build something later. I wanted to build a National Park and I had destroyed all the required nature by the time I unlocked it..

It's called real world reality...

(in reply to matttanner)
Post #: 234
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 6/20/2017 5:27:41 PM   
altipueri

I have Civ2 on several laptops, netbooks and tablets. Still the best fun for me - even if I play only short games - just to get those advisors telling me to build more troops so that they may "bury their swords in the beating hearts of the enemy" - and the Elvis guy.

quote:

I own every one of the games in the Civilization series and I consider Civilization VI to be the worst one yet. I would rather play Civilization II than Civilization VI.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 235
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 6/20/2017 10:44:24 PM   
Rosseau

I happened to pay $34 for Civ VI. For me that is worthwhile. Few games are worth VI's regular price of $60. If anything, they have simplified things. I consulted no manual and am playing fine (on easy). Also, I have yet to play IV and V (with all that DLC they sell ). Anyway, I booted up IV and was overcome by the complexity of the interface. No way I could jump into that game, but I am looking forward to playing it.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 236
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 6/21/2017 7:09:51 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Anyway, I booted up IV and was overcome by the complexity of the interface. No way I could jump into that game, but I am looking forward to playing it.

Apparently before game's release, there was some bitching about the game going to be too simple

Play tutorial scenario and look up from the manual city management screen and how trade network works. And civics. Most of the rest are much the same as in the earlier games in the series. I myself was more ambitious, and after playing the tutorial, I read the manuals and went straight to Beyond the Sword. To maximize complexity of Civ4 experience, Caveman 2 Cosmos is massive mod, one mod to rule them all, which adds craptons of features and more of everything else. Turns go up to 8000, and in some earlier versions, 14 000 (turns). You better master Beyond the Sword before you even try C2C. You can read about my impressions and gameplay with this mod.

MekWars

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 237
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 12/16/2017 6:09:24 PM   
DOCUP

How is this game now? Has the updates fixed some of the bigger issues? Also is steam the only way to get this game?

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 238
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 12/16/2017 6:22:06 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

How is this game now? Has the updates fixed some of the bigger issues? Also is steam the only way to get this game?

Well I tried messing with it, still didn't like it. It is good they added some cool features to the game, but I think what killed it is silly cartoonish graphics, weak AIs and others were talking about something I didn't understand, probably have something to do with diplomacy.

When this first came out, I had it on steam and didn't like it and got a refund for it. Waited for awhile and bought the box version, like to have it as collection that have a nice niffy booklet and tech tree, etc. Sadly that thing didn't have a damn thing in it lol. Just wasted sixty bucks for that game back then.

Believe there are three ways to get it, one check online, some you can download like gamestop, etc or grab it from Steam.

Noticed most civ fans like part five, four or even three better than this one. Part five is still amazing game, different because part four and three you can stack units or stack of doom then they replace it only one unit per hex.

< Message edited by RisingSun -- 12/16/2017 6:24:34 PM >

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 239
RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - 12/16/2017 6:49:34 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

Has the updates fixed some of the bigger issues?

Fixed some, added some new ones
The first major DLC is coming early 2018, so I am curious to see how that will change the game.

To me, the game as is now, is ok but not more. So far it is the Civ game I have invested the fewest hours in at release.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI