Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds 2 News?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 12/23/2017 2:48:16 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Keeping modding as easy as possible remains one of our goals.

That is very reassuring. Would that include things like I have done with the Bacon Mod? Since DWU took some steps (intended or unintended) that made what I did difficult I didn't know if you guys were OK with it or not. It seems to be well received by the community so I hope it will be possible with DW2.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 181
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 12/23/2017 3:07:45 PM   
Ranbir

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: AKicebear

https://mobile.twitter.com/Iain_Slitherine/status/941382872824471559

So it looks like DW2 has gone isometric 3D? I was charmed by the top down 2D. Moody.

"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 182
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 12/23/2017 5:37:48 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranbir
So it looks like DW2 has gone isometric 3D? I was charmed by the top down 2D. Moody.

No, that is a screenshot of a development build. What you see there is just how I happened to have the camera positioned when Iain snapped the picture. You will certainly be able to play top down as with DW1, but we'll have other camera options as well.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 12/23/2017 5:38:03 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 183
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 12/23/2017 6:07:49 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

quote:

... but we'll have other camera options as well.

Woo hoo. You hear that everyone? First person shooter Distant Worlds!

Post #: 184
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 12/23/2017 8:52:33 PM   
Ranbir

quote:

quote:

No, that is a screenshot of a development build. What you see there is just how I happened to have the camera positioned when Iain snapped the picture. You will certainly be able to play top down as with DW1, but we'll have other camera options as well.

Hah, negativity is bringing you out with more info!

"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz

Post #: 185
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 12/23/2017 11:21:32 PM   
Sabranan

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon
Would that include things like I have done with the Bacon Mod? Since DWU took some steps (intended or unintended) that made what I did difficult I didn't know if you guys were OK with it or not. It seems to be well received by the community so I hope it will be possible with DW2.

I would hazard to guess that if they weren't ok with it you'd have heard about it by now. At the end of the day your unique modifications have given people new ways to play and mod the game but haven't made it any easier for pirates, which increases and helps to retain the playerbase. There's no downside.

That can only be good for their sales of DW and DW2.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 186
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 12/24/2017 2:51:39 AM   
Cauldyth

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hah, negativity is bringing you out with more info!

The dam has a leak! Quick, jam a crowbar in it and start prying!

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 187
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/1/2018 11:12:12 AM   
ZG264

I just got to play Distant Worlds Universe for the first time over the xmas period, thanks to it being on GOG! :)

What a game! SMAC, Moo1+2 and Space Empires IV Gold are some of my favourite all time space 4x games and even at this early stage i can say i think DWU beats them all. The only sad part is that even as i have known about DWU since it was first released, it's taken me until now to be able to buy and play it.

Please, for all things holy, can you try to ensure that DW2 is available from GOG on release? I have no issues with whatever price it will be, but having to wait so long to get the game is hard.

My game playing machine is off-line and i have an 'ethical' issue over using Steam. So GOG is the perfect option imho, and i hope it does well for DWU and allowing more people to experience these great games.

And one small suggestion for DW2, would it be possible to ship the game with all the advisors (scientists/spys/ship captains etc) having different pictures from your Empire Race picture? There is a cool mod that does that for the Human Race only, and i play with it and it makes a great improvement to the overall feel of the game in terms of 'role playing' your story :)

< Message edited by ZG264 -- 1/1/2018 11:17:12 AM >

(in reply to yutowap33)
Post #: 188
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/1/2018 12:45:30 PM   
Osito

Wait, what!?

You can buy this game directly from Matrix/Slitherine, can't you. Has that changed?

(in reply to ZG264)
Post #: 189
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/2/2018 8:21:35 AM   
ZG264

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osito

Wait, what!?

You can buy this game directly from Matrix/Slitherine, can't you. Has that changed?

Off course not, it is just alongside the ease of use of GOG (no internet connection needed to play, or DRM issues etc) they also offer the only online purchase option i consider 100% safe to use these days. You can buy using the 'Paysafe card' method, which means no credit card details are ever needed online.

With such great user orientated options it is just very hard (going on impossible!) to consider other options when looking for a new (or old) game imho.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 190
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/2/2018 7:12:50 PM   
ASHBERY76

The sad reality is 3d ships will kill most modding.The generic star wars,Startrek will be alight because a million 3d models are done already.

I also wonder about what this means for the game scale and the economy.20 races with all 3d ships modeled is a lot of budget.

(in reply to ZG264)
Post #: 191
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/2/2018 9:19:57 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

The sad reality is 3d ships will kill most modding.The generic star wars,Startrek will be alight because a million 3d models are done already.

I also wonder about what this means for the game scale and the economy.20 races with all 3d ships modeled is a lot of budget.

3D ships have never been an issue for modders. I was part of the modding scene decades ago with homeworld and that game didn't even have modding support. Hell the devs gloated about how the game was unmoddable because at that time mods were considered a high crime and theft from the company because it prolonged the game life which at that time was a big nono because they wanted you onto the next new game not playing new unpaid content on the old game. I'd wager that the idea for DLC came from combating the modding scene but we were too strong and the companies finally gave in and accepted that prolonging a games life far past its initial run was doing quite well on sales.

As to budget there are a zillion starving artists out there who would probably do the work for free if it got them a good reference for later or for a song if they really need the work. All you really need who is top notch is the production idea guy who makes all the initial designs the modelers then make into 3d.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 192
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/3/2018 1:33:38 AM   
Artophwar

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZG264

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osito

Wait, what!?

Off course not, it is just alongside the ease of use of GOG (no internet connection needed to play, or DRM issues etc) they also offer the only online purchase option i consider 100% safe to use these days. You can buy using the 'Paysafe card' method, which means no credit card details are ever needed online.

With such great user orientated options it is just very hard (going on impossible!) to consider other options when looking for a new (or old) game imho.

For anyone who may want to purchase DWU from Steam and worried about DRM, the Steam version of DWU is DRM free as well. No internet connection required to play, you dont have to have Steam running. You can run the game directly from the exe once it is installed. It is a misconception that all games purchased from Steam require online connection or Steam to be running in the background to play. That is one of my complaints with the Steam store, I wish they listed games that were DRM free. I have over 250 games on Steam and the majority are DRM free.

(in reply to ZG264)
Post #: 193
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/4/2018 3:33:11 PM   
FlashXAron_slith

Photo ... nice at least a sign of life :-)

and still bored to death, with all other 4x and strategy games ...
don't get it, to invest so much development time in a "linear" braindead game like Stellaris, even the new 2.0 Version looks like a joke.

So played Supreme Ruler Ultimate new DLC 1914 for some time, still to swallow , but already to complex for the AI, after 10 years ALL AI are broken, apart from the fact, it is not able to handle any battles , special water ... and know what, earth consists of around 70% water areas LOL ! Even the gameplay is worth a try, until you know how to handle economy :-)

So when DW 2 will be like DW 1 Universe BUT WITH MP (like Paradox has) , I will be already happy !

So go go go , devs you could do it, best 4x game in history of mankind ... oh wait, you already have that :-)

(in reply to Artophwar)
Post #: 194
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/5/2018 4:00:20 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

3D ships have never been an issue for modders. I was part of the modding scene decades ago with homeworld and that game didn't even have modding support. Hell the devs gloated about how the game was unmoddable because at that time mods were considered a high crime and theft from the company because it prolonged the game life which at that time was a big nono because they wanted you onto the next new game not playing new unpaid content on the old game. I'd wager that the idea for DLC came from combating the modding scene but we were too strong and the companies finally gave in and accepted that prolonging a games life far past its initial run was doing quite well on sales.

As to budget there are a zillion starving artists out there who would probably do the work for free if it got them a good reference for later or for a song if they really need the work. All you really need who is top notch is the production idea guy who makes all the initial designs the modelers then make into 3d.

Or you even have people that are simply fans of a game and would be willing to do some work. Especially people who do the 3d modeling as a hobby, and never actually intend to make money on it...like the folks who mod games and release their mods free for all to use.

There are folks out there that do things just because they enjoy doing it.

< Message edited by Shark7 -- 1/5/2018 4:01:02 AM >

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 195
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/5/2018 5:44:20 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

There are folks out there that do things just because they enjoy doing it.

What you talking 'bout Shark! (In my Willis voice! Lol!)

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 196
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/8/2018 2:57:46 AM   
OJsDad

quote:

ORIGINAL: FlashXAron

Photo ... nice at least a sign of life :-)

and still bored to death, with all other 4x and strategy games ...
don't get it, to invest so much development time in a "linear" braindead game like Stellaris, even the new 2.0 Version looks like a joke.

So played Supreme Ruler Ultimate new DLC 1914 for some time, still to swallow , but already to complex for the AI, after 10 years ALL AI are broken, apart from the fact, it is not able to handle any battles , special water ... and know what, earth consists of around 70% water areas LOL ! Even the gameplay is worth a try, until you know how to handle economy :-)

So when DW 2 will be like DW 1 Universe BUT WITH MP (like Paradox has) , I will be already happy !

So go go go , devs you could do it, best 4x game in history of mankind ... oh wait, you already have that :-)

DW was a very good game, but it had many short comings, some of which Stellaris does not have, even though Stellaris has been out less than half the time that DW was out and actively getting updates/DLC.

DW2 will be one of the few games I seriously consider for a day 1 purchase, however, if some of the short comings are not addressed, then I will not be purchasing.

1.) Better AI
2.) Improved/streamlined UI
3.) Improved management tools, especially for colonies and ships/fleets
4.) Improved fleet formation/combat system (no more "mobs" of ships simply throwing themselves at each other and appearing to just miill about)
5.) More transparent feedback & information (Why did my base income suddenly go negative, but my bonus income remains positive?)
6.) Better/more balanced system for strategic resources.

(in reply to FlashXAron_slith)
Post #: 197
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/13/2018 9:30:25 AM   
LordMM

My little worry about Isometric 3d, is if this will impact game performance on my lower end potato on 1000+ stars.

(in reply to OJsDad)
Post #: 198
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/13/2018 10:22:12 AM   
Bingeling

I doubt you will see much 3d outside of one system, so the 1000+ others should not necessarily burden your potato more than the current game does. One could hope they will burden it less.

(in reply to LordMM)
Post #: 199
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/13/2018 12:01:00 PM   
Haree78

Distant Worlds Extended 2 is going to be an interesting task for me lol
Looking forward to it.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 200
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/13/2018 12:38:58 PM   
Ranbir

Hopefully it'll now be 2000 stars!

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 201
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/13/2018 9:15:17 PM   
Osito

I'm still hoping for 100,000 ;-)

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 202
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/14/2018 7:13:17 AM   
Bingeling

100k stars, 4 colonies in each system on average, and conquer all galaxy to win.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 203
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/14/2018 11:03:30 AM   
Osito

Indeed!

I thought I was being very reasonable. I could have asked for 100 billion systems, the number of systems in our own galaxy. But, no, I was reasonable, and I agreed to settle for 100,000. For DW2, at least.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 204
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/14/2018 1:19:46 PM   
Cauldyth

Plus, I want each of the 15 billion citizens on each of those 500,000 colonies to have a unique name, portrait, and backstory. I demand immersion!

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 205
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/14/2018 8:45:14 PM   
Ranbir

DWU does up to 1400, I figured 2000 was a more realistic jump.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 206
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/15/2018 11:13:56 PM   
Erik Rutins

https://youtu.be/oALxLNOhI6I?t=1m44s

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 207
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/15/2018 11:34:11 PM   
SaltiMilk

Im really curious if DW2 going to be a better version of DW with the same story line. Or is it a different storyline?

Post #: 208
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/15/2018 11:36:53 PM   
btd64

quote:

https://youtu.be/oALxLNOhI6I?t=1m44s

The answer to the star question, me thinks....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

Post #: 209
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 1/20/2018 6:25:12 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

100k stars, 4 colonies in each system on average, and conquer all galaxy to win.

Let us know if you ever finish that game, a few decades from now...

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI