Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Units Splitting After Combat

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Units Splitting After Combat Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Units Splitting After Combat - 1/24/2018 12:56:44 AM   
rhinobones

Have always wondered why a unit forced to split (due to attack) always slits in to three sun-units of which at least one is always disabled. Why not three subunits all disabled, or three subunits with two disabled or three subunits with none disabled? Why never splitting into two subunits?

Is this another “Norm” commandment?

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil
Post #: 1
RE: Units Splitting After Combat - 1/24/2018 5:17:24 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

Have always wondered why a unit forced to split (due to attack) always slits in to three sun-units of which at least one is always disabled. Why not three subunits all disabled, or three subunits with two disabled or three subunits with none disabled? Why never splitting into two subunits?

Is this another “Norm” commandment?

Regards, RhinoBones

Well, might be an old code or Norm's law... but, think about it. Usual deployment of, let's say a regiment was 2 Bn on the front, 1 Bn in reserve; In case of splitting up, one Bn was just unlucky to take the brunt of the enemy attack and well.. got disorganised.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 2
RE: Units Splitting After Combat - 1/24/2018 10:14:33 AM   
IainF

I always presumed that the disorganised one is the plucky rear-guard.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 3
RE: Units Splitting After Combat - 1/24/2018 10:46:35 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: IainF

I always presumed that the disorganised one is the plucky rear-guard.

... or that way around. We probably will never find out, even if we look at the TOAWlog ;)

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to IainF)
Post #: 4
RE: Units Splitting After Combat - 1/27/2018 3:48:45 AM   
rhinobones

Agree that this is probably an old code. An old code used to simplify downstream coding. However, I think it should be revisited for future updates.

Yes, the typical organization of a regiment is three battalions. But we both know that two, four and a few five battalion regiments have been fielded. This problem is even more evident when applied to brigades and divisions. Divisions and brigades can be organized as multiple battalions and or regiments, but TOAW still disperses them as three components. The scenario designer should have control over how parent units are subdivided into organic sub units. This includes subdivision due to unfavorable combat results.

My biggest complaint is that units are always spilt into three components, and always one of the components is disorganized. A unit disorganized for the entire turn is absurd. Imagine a retreated company that spends an entire one week turn disorganized to the point that it cannot fall back to friendly lines. I can see a disorganized unit spending the firsts few pulses getting reorganized and then becoming mobile, not being disorganized for the entire turn.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 5
RE: Units Splitting After Combat - 1/27/2018 12:35:41 PM   
winkr7

Historically in real battles formations almost always break into three pieces and one of the three is worse off than the other two. This is based on fact.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 6
RE: Units Splitting After Combat - 1/27/2018 1:13:22 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

Agree that this is probably an old code. An old code used to simplify downstream coding. However, I think it should be revisited for future updates.

Yes, the typical organization of a regiment is three battalions. But we both know that two, four and a few five battalion regiments have been fielded. This problem is even more evident when applied to brigades and divisions. Divisions and brigades can be organized as multiple battalions and or regiments, but TOAW still disperses them as three components. The scenario designer should have control over how parent units are subdivided into organic sub units. This includes subdivision due to unfavorable combat results.

My biggest complaint is that units are always spilt into three components, and always one of the components is disorganized. A unit disorganized for the entire turn is absurd. Imagine a retreated company that spends an entire one week turn disorganized to the point that it cannot fall back to friendly lines. I can see a disorganized unit spending the firsts few pulses getting reorganized and then becoming mobile, not being disorganized for the entire turn.

Regards, RhinoBones

Yeah, the time in disorg should be based on time and other factors instead of being a generic situation.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 7
RE: Units Splitting After Combat - 1/27/2018 10:34:17 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: winkr7

Historically in real battles formations almost always break into three pieces and one of the three is worse off than the other two. This is based on fact.

Where are these facts available. I would like to check them for myself. Maybe I am the one who needs calibration.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:

(in reply to winkr7)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Units Splitting After Combat Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI