Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Compressing CMANO by 50%

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Compressing CMANO by 50% Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Compressing CMANO by 50% - 2/3/2018 4:20:04 PM   
bradinggs

I just tested CompactGUI on CMANO and managed to compress it by just over 50% including the DB images.

I have a normal HDD not SSD, i5 CPU laptop.

I'm sure it actually loaded up much faster, usually it takes some time to load so that was a bonus. Haven't tested it on a large scenario yet but not bad results in tutorials.

Give it a try. Can get it here https://github.com/ImminentFate/CompactGUI/releases click on the compactgui.exe you run it and select the folder then select compression, I chose the one with 16 in it. You can also uncompact the folder afterwards. Some things to remember, it uses a compression that only works on windows 10. If you copy the files you compressed to a WinXP/Win7 etc it won't work. Then any updates etc. will overwrite the compressed files and so you'll have to recompact them.

If anything happens, guess you can uncompact or just redownload/check the files from steam.
I didn't design the software, just been reading how it manages to cut down HD size for some programs and sometimes, increases performance. At least, it seemed for me.
Post #: 1
RE: Compressing CMANO by 50% - 2/3/2018 5:07:17 PM   
thewood1

I am a little skeptical of the performance hit on Command. Command is very CPU-intensive and is the kind of program that might not provide performance benefits for compression.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/7787qd/compactgui_compress_any_game_with_no_impact_on/

Some good discussion there. If you have a small SSD and need the room, it might be good. But I would carefully benchmark the performance.

(in reply to bradinggs)
Post #: 2
RE: Compressing CMANO by 50% - 2/3/2018 5:56:45 PM   
bradinggs

Yeah, I didn't expect any difference in performance but I did notice a faster startup, that was sure. But yes, I would recommend for saving space if someone needed too, not particularly for performance but space, yes.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 3
RE: Compressing CMANO by 50% - 2/3/2018 8:52:12 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Also, unless you decide to use the DB images, CMANO only takes up about 12 Gbs. That's not too big really, so unless you really are limited in disk space, I don't really see the need to compress it.

(in reply to bradinggs)
Post #: 4
RE: Compressing CMANO by 50% - 2/4/2018 9:00:35 AM   
Dimitris

Interesting tool, thanks for sharing!

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 5
RE: Compressing CMANO by 50% - 2/4/2018 12:04:42 PM   
thewood1

I am more interested in the mentioned performance increase. At some point, I'll benchmark it on my non-main laptop.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 6
RE: Compressing CMANO by 50% - 2/4/2018 8:35:27 PM   
bradinggs

Pleasure. Yeah space wise, I'm very happy as I am limited as I need as much free space as possible so this helps a lot. Performance wise thewood1, too early to say as I haven't taken on a large scenario yet but there was a very big difference in start up speed where I used to wait nearly a minute or just over, now it's a few seconds. Not that it blows my hair back much, it is just the start up but hey, every second counts in my day haha. Within a small scenario, didn't notice anything less in performance so if you benchmark, would be interesting to hear of results unless I get to it first but workload is climbing here. Glad this helps anyone that requires every gig in space.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 7
RE: Compressing CMANO by 50% - 2/6/2018 9:06:26 PM   
bradinggs

Just an update. After some more time, didn't really notice any enhanced performance. So this program will really just cut down the size/space used but not improve performance, at least from my side on an i5. So as it says on the can, saves space if you needing it.

(in reply to bradinggs)
Post #: 8
RE: Compressing CMANO by 50% - 2/8/2018 2:40:36 AM   
BDukes

Was this good idea? What happens when you install update?

(in reply to bradinggs)
Post #: 9
RE: Compressing CMANO by 50% - 2/8/2018 7:43:26 AM   
bradinggs

When an update happens it just overwrites the compressed files and leaves those specific files uncompressed. Its fine, doesn't do anything. Then if you want to compress them again you just redo the process.

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Compressing CMANO by 50% Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI