Compressing CMANO by 50% (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

bradinggs -> Compressing CMANO by 50% (2/3/2018 4:20:04 PM)

I just tested CompactGUI on CMANO and managed to compress it by just over 50% including the DB images.

I have a normal HDD not SSD, i5 CPU laptop.

I'm sure it actually loaded up much faster, usually it takes some time to load so that was a bonus. Haven't tested it on a large scenario yet but not bad results in tutorials.

Give it a try. Can get it here https://github.com/ImminentFate/CompactGUI/releases click on the compactgui.exe you run it and select the folder then select compression, I chose the one with 16 in it. You can also uncompact the folder afterwards. Some things to remember, it uses a compression that only works on windows 10. If you copy the files you compressed to a WinXP/Win7 etc it won't work. Then any updates etc. will overwrite the compressed files and so you'll have to recompact them.

If anything happens, guess you can uncompact or just redownload/check the files from steam.
I didn't design the software, just been reading how it manages to cut down HD size for some programs and sometimes, increases performance. At least, it seemed for me.

thewood1 -> RE: Compressing CMANO by 50% (2/3/2018 5:07:17 PM)

I am a little skeptical of the performance hit on Command. Command is very CPU-intensive and is the kind of program that might not provide performance benefits for compression.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/7787qd/compactgui_compress_any_game_with_no_impact_on/

Some good discussion there. If you have a small SSD and need the room, it might be good. But I would carefully benchmark the performance.

bradinggs -> RE: Compressing CMANO by 50% (2/3/2018 5:56:45 PM)

Yeah, I didn't expect any difference in performance but I did notice a faster startup, that was sure. But yes, I would recommend for saving space if someone needed too, not particularly for performance but space, yes.

HalfLifeExpert -> RE: Compressing CMANO by 50% (2/3/2018 8:52:12 PM)

Also, unless you decide to use the DB images, CMANO only takes up about 12 Gbs. That's not too big really, so unless you really are limited in disk space, I don't really see the need to compress it.

Dimitris -> RE: Compressing CMANO by 50% (2/4/2018 9:00:35 AM)

Interesting tool, thanks for sharing!

thewood1 -> RE: Compressing CMANO by 50% (2/4/2018 12:04:42 PM)

I am more interested in the mentioned performance increase. At some point, I'll benchmark it on my non-main laptop.

bradinggs -> RE: Compressing CMANO by 50% (2/4/2018 8:35:27 PM)

Pleasure. Yeah space wise, I'm very happy as I am limited as I need as much free space as possible so this helps a lot. Performance wise thewood1, too early to say as I haven't taken on a large scenario yet but there was a very big difference in start up speed where I used to wait nearly a minute or just over, now it's a few seconds. Not that it blows my hair back much, it is just the start up but hey, every second counts in my day haha. Within a small scenario, didn't notice anything less in performance so if you benchmark, would be interesting to hear of results unless I get to it first but workload is climbing here. Glad this helps anyone that requires every gig in space.

bradinggs -> RE: Compressing CMANO by 50% (2/6/2018 9:06:26 PM)

Just an update. After some more time, didn't really notice any enhanced performance. So this program will really just cut down the size/space used but not improve performance, at least from my side on an i5. So as it says on the can, saves space if you needing it.

BDukes -> RE: Compressing CMANO by 50% (2/8/2018 2:40:36 AM)

Was this good idea? What happens when you install update?

bradinggs -> RE: Compressing CMANO by 50% (2/8/2018 7:43:26 AM)

When an update happens it just overwrites the compressed files and leaves those specific files uncompressed. Its fine, doesn't do anything. Then if you want to compress them again you just redo the process.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI